[MOD] HDMI Landscape Mirroring

Search This thread

starrwarrior

Apr 5, 2008
Georgia
This mod allows for mirroring in landscape mode using the MirrorService.apk from Photon. Output is scaled up from the native resolution up to 1080p if your display supports it.

I am still in the process of trying to better package this so it will not wreck havok on existing installs. Any updates will be posted here.

Flashing this will likely result in problems for you, so be warned, it's not for the faint of heart.

-you must wipe data
-restoring apps with TiBu will likely not work
-could possibly break market installs / updates
-this will NOT work on CM7
-webtop will not be available over HDMI

Here's a link to the CWM flashable zip:

http://96.126.112.115/HDMI-landscape-0.1.zip

I have personally tested this with Aura Rom 1.2.2.2 Deblur, but I have no reason to believe it won't work on other blur based roms.

Standard disclaimers apply-- Not responsible for data loss or if your phone catches fire etc.

Update 11/16/2011: It seems like this can be more reliably included in a rom vs. being added later due to the nature of how the mirror service works. I have successfully modified a version of Aura to include this and have been running it with much fewer issues over the past few days.

Method 2: This is the exact process I have used most recently. It resigns your entire rom to avoid any signature mismatch related issues.

You will need:
Apk Manager
A copy of your ROM zip file
a program to modify the contents of the zip (WinRAR, 7zip, etc.)
HDMI-landscape-FilesOnly-Atrix.zip containing all the files needed to get mirroring working

Instructions:
1. Extract Apk Manager to a folder somewhere

2. Extract all the apks from your ROM (/system/app for most, Aura has these in /debloat/app), be sure to include /system/framework/framework-res.apk and the provided MirrorService.apk, to the "place-apk-here-for-signing" folder where you extracted Apk Manager.

3. Delete all the apk's in the "place-apk-here-for-signing" folder that should not be resigned. (Music.apk, Maps.apk, Superuser.apk, Gmail.apk, Youtube.apk, etc)

4. run Script.bat in the Apk Manager folder and run option 16.

5. Drag all the apks you just re-signed back inside your ROM zip file to overwrite the existing files. (don't forget that framework-res.apk needs to go in the /system/framework folder)

6. Copy the remaining needed files inside the HDMI-landscape-FilesOnly-Atrix.zip to their corresponding location in your ROM zip. /system/lib/ & /system/framework need the following files:
/system/framework/com.motorola.android.iextdispservice.jar
/system/framework/com.motorola.android.imirrorservice.jar
/system/framework/com.motorola.android.inativehdmiapis_v1.jar
/system/lib/libmirrrorjni.so
/system/lib/hw/overlay.tegra.so
7. You can now flash your modified ROM image!

This method will leave you with a working Webtop if your ROM already included the option to allow webtop over HDMI.
Be warned, using the webtop will very likely cause the mirroring to malfunction until you reboot your phone. As long as you don't use the webtop in a given boot, the mirroring works great.

Last edited:

achok

Oct 4, 2007
@starwarrior,

Great job, first of all!

Did you (or anyone else) find some of the instability included not being able to install specific apps, or move apps to sd without hot reboots?

Just curious to see what your experience has been. If not, please let me know what ROM and process you used exactly.

Thanks.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

crnkoj

Feb 16, 2011
great job mate, just wondering if webtop over hdmi still works with your modified apk? i read the other thread a bit but didnt really find a conclusive answer. thanks

Frankzor

May 8, 2009
Nice finding Starrwarrior! Just CWM flashed hdmi-landscape.0.1.zip on my atrix and still can't believe HDMI landscape mirroring works :) Even if it's at a lower res than 720p o_O You just made my cellphone one hell of a of awesome purchase !

Since I got a day off today, I'll try the resigning method on the alienv4 rom and hope that in the end, webtop over HDMI, HDMI landscape mirroring, webtop2sd AND weptopscripts can all coexist on atrix with this rom.

One question though: do you mind if you list every apk (except for Music.apk, Maps.apk, Superuser.apk, Gmail.apk, Youtube.apk) you excluded from resigning please ? Even though it's from a different rom, I am taking a shot through the dark here lol.

starrwarrior

Apr 5, 2008
Georgia
Nice finding Starrwarrior! Just CWM flashed hdmi-landscape.0.1.zip on my atrix and still can't believe HDMI landscape mirroring works :) Even if it's at a lower res than 720p o_O You just made my cellphone one hell of a of awesome purchase !

Since I got a day off today, I'll try the resigning method on the alienv4 rom and hope that in the end, webtop over HDMI, HDMI landscape mirroring, webtop2sd AND weptopscripts can all coexist on atrix with this rom.

One question though: do you mind if you list every apk (except for Music.apk, Maps.apk, Superuser.apk, Gmail.apk, Youtube.apk) you excluded from resigning please ? Even though it's from a different rom, I am taking a shot through the dark here lol.

Those are the only Google Apps that I know of that generally get updated. As a rule of thumb, if it is updated via the market it would be a bad idea to re-sign it. Worst case scenario you can just adb push the original one back to your phone from your ROM's zip.

Frankzor

May 8, 2009
Thanks for the feedback starrwarrior. Although I went ahead before looking at your post and avoided resigning MOST of the apks except the blur ones lol...

I can now confirm that modding alienv4 with your second method makes webtop over HDMI, HDMI landscape mirroring, webtop2sd and webtopscripts work altogether on my Bell Atrix (after fixing the RAM issue, but for me I had it only happen on the stock ATT gingerbread and the alienv4 rom; it didn't happen on CM7 BaT2). As long as webtop wasn't booted before using HDMI mirroring, it's smooth sailing for me.

(edited after further playing with modded alienv4 rom)
I realized I broke google market (no big deal, just reflashed old version of gapps) and every blur-related app (maybe a big deal because of the following sentence -_-)

I also broke ringtones/notifications (in settings --> sounds, phone doesn't detect ANYTHING and I can't assign ANY ringtones/notifications; I even tried RingDroid and Ring Commander and I get a FC every time...)
I'll admit I just blindly followed the 2nd method though.

(edited again after redoing starrwarrior second method of rom editing of alienv4)
I just ONLY EXCLUDED resigning gmail.apk, maps.apk, superuser.apk and youtube.apk. I resigned the rest of the apk in the alienv4 rom.
Now I have ringtones back and I can finally reassign them. Webtop over HDMI, webtop2sd, webtopscripts AND HDMI landscape mirroring (still at a lower res than 720p though) still work althogether. I'll play with this modified rom for a while and reediting my post after a few more days.
If all's well, I'll try to PM kennethpenn afterwards, even though I read that he doesn't have the time to support this rom anymore :(

Last edited:
Reactions: dubyajaysmith

daneren2005

Mar 22, 2011
Is there any chance that this mod will be applicable to a stock ROM (preferably without completely wiping it) at some point or is it looking like this is pretty much what you will have to do?

Vicious Von

Mar 27, 2011
I owe this Guy a drink for sure! Now is there any way to implement this in cm7?

Runnin' CM7 thirsty for ICS so I got the bootleg

dubyajaysmith

Apr 14, 2010
ATL
Incredible

:D Tried method 2 with Pi Crust .8 once, in a bit of a time crunch, but no go. Guessing didn't take all the correct app files out of /system/apps/. Took out one's in OP and couple more I thought fit the bill. I'll give it another shot soon before I set up my webtop.
Backed up and had darkside running just to smile and show the fellow co-working, android heads today. Thanks again for revamping the Atrix once more! I'll post Pi Crust if I get it working I suppose. Navalynt posted in it's OP that he kinda made it for stuff like this (though I'll double check :) and webtop/FP scanner always has worked well for me on it. :D

nelsonw

Jun 29, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
It just me or this awsome mod had a little downside: resourses consuming. It seems it slowdown phone a little. Specially poaying games. Play is good but not as fluid than playing only on the phone...

Thats strange, tho, since photon have the same HW. Maybe a ROM optimization issue?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Frankzor

May 8, 2009
@ nelsonw
I played around with my modded alienv4 rom for the weekend. On my atrix, I didn't notice any slowdown while playing on fpse nor n64 with ps3 controller connected on bluetooth. That's with HDMI mirroring. On webtop, it lags a bit but it's not unbearable, even with a firefox window open at gamefaqs.com lol. I wish I had a photon for testing purposes.

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 AM ----------

@ starrwarrior
I got a potentially huge issue on webtop since I applied the mod. On my modded alienv4 rom, I can use my ps3 bluetooth keypad on the android view window BUT NOT OUTSIDE of it. I can't type in any app in ubuntu with the bluetooth keyboard BUT I can still use the onscreen keyboard and trackpad on the atrix... how weird... It's as if I never activated bluetooth keyboard in webtop. Does this happen to you too on any bluetooth keyboard or mouse? If you're not using webtop, never mind the question lol.

Reactions: nelsonw

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This mod allows for mirroring in landscape mode using the MirrorService.apk from Photon. Output is scaled up from the native resolution up to 1080p if your display supports it.

I am still in the process of trying to better package this so it will not wreck havok on existing installs. Any updates will be posted here.

Flashing this will likely result in problems for you, so be warned, it's not for the faint of heart.

-you must wipe data
    -restoring apps with TiBu will likely not work
    -could possibly break market installs / updates
    -this will NOT work on CM7
    -webtop will not be available over HDMI

Here's a link to the CWM flashable zip:

http://96.126.112.115/HDMI-landscape-0.1.zip

I have personally tested this with Aura Rom 1.2.2.2 Deblur, but I have no reason to believe it won't work on other blur based roms.

Standard disclaimers apply-- Not responsible for data loss or if your phone catches fire etc.

Update 11/16/2011: It seems like this can be more reliably included in a rom vs. being added later due to the nature of how the mirror service works. I have successfully modified a version of Aura to include this and have been running it with much fewer issues over the past few days.

Method 2: This is the exact process I have used most recently. It resigns your entire rom to avoid any signature mismatch related issues.

You will need:
    Apk Manager
    A copy of your ROM zip file
    a program to modify the contents of the zip (WinRAR, 7zip, etc.)
    HDMI-landscape-FilesOnly-Atrix.zip containing all the files needed to get mirroring working

Instructions:
    1. Extract Apk Manager to a folder somewhere

2. Extract all the apks from your ROM (/system/app for most, Aura has these in /debloat/app), be sure to include /system/framework/framework-res.apk and the provided MirrorService.apk, to the "place-apk-here-for-signing" folder where you extracted Apk Manager.

3. Delete all the apk's in the "place-apk-here-for-signing" folder that should not be resigned. (Music.apk, Maps.apk, Superuser.apk, Gmail.apk, Youtube.apk, etc)

4. run Script.bat in the Apk Manager folder and run option 16.

5. Drag all the apks you just re-signed back inside your ROM zip file to overwrite the existing files. (don't forget that framework-res.apk needs to go in the /system/framework folder)

6. Copy the remaining needed files inside the HDMI-landscape-FilesOnly-Atrix.zip to their corresponding location in your ROM zip. /system/lib/ & /system/framework need the following files:
    /system/framework/com.motorola.android.iextdispservice.jar
    /system/framework/com.motorola.android.imirrorservice.jar
    /system/framework/com.motorola.android.inativehdmiapis_v1.jar
    /system/lib/libmirrrorjni.so
    /system/lib/hw/overlay.tegra.so
    7. You can now flash your modified ROM image!

This method will leave you with a working Webtop if your ROM already included the option to allow webtop over HDMI.
    Be warned, using the webtop will very likely cause the mirroring to malfunction until you reboot your phone. As long as you don't use the webtop in a given boot, the mirroring works great.
    I know this doesn't work with CM7, but are there any plans in the future to get this working with it?

Yes, I made some progress getting it working in CM7, but ran into a wall and have not had much time to get any further. I did manage to get the image to show up, however, the screen never updates past that. The mirroring functionality appears to be heavily dependent on a lot of the webtop stuff making things difficult.
    I've just unlocked my Atrix, so that I could try out the DarkSide 2.8.5 custom ROM. This seems to be the only version that supports Landscape HDMI mirror. The ROM is stable for me and I haven't encountered any issues yet. To my surprise, I can even switch between webtop and HDMI mirror on the fly without rebooting. I thought they're incompatible. The only problem I'm having is not able to use HDMI mirror mode when using the Lapdock. The Atrix screen shuts off when docked to the Lapdock with LCD lid opened. It just enters the webtop mode automatically. Does anyone know if it's possible to use the HDMI mirror while attaching to the Lapdock?

Starrwarrior, thanks a lot for making Landscape HDMI mirror possible.

Im glad somebody is using the LS HDMI RoM. If it wasn't for my broken cable/jack I would be also. I love making HTC users jealous. I've ordered a new HDMI to HDMI-Mini cable along with a HD Dock so hopefully Ill have working LS HDMI on 2.3.5 soon. And since the Photon/RAZR files Ill be using to get it working are also 2.3.5 I'm hoping this eliminates the Re-Signing issues. Fingers Crossed. Packages are coming from China so give me a couple of weeks to get it delivered and working.
    Thanks guys for NOT asking for etas.

Those are the only Google Apps that I know of that generally get updated. As a rule of thumb, if it is updated via the market it would be a bad idea to re-sign it. Worst case scenario you can just adb push the original one back to your phone from your ROM's zip.
    Thanks for this mod Starrwarrior.

I tried to use it with method 2 in Aura 1.2.2.2 debloat but when I plug it in a HDTV I get portrait Mirroring. =(

Do anyone know what I did wrong and how I can fix it?