• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[MOD] HEVC/H.265 Video Recording V2.1

Search This thread

pankajsammal

May 8, 2012
Bangalore
I was able to modify OnePlus 5 to enable HEVC/H.265 video recording at 4k, 1080p & 720p resolutions. I have also reduced the bit rate for the video so that it will take less storage space.
There are 2 Magisk module attached below one with 40% bit rate reduction and other with original bitrate.

Note - Take a backup of your 'media_profiles.xml' located at system/etc/ before attempting this mod.

To install just unzip and overwrite 'media_profiles.xml' at system/etc/ with permission 0644 and reboot your phone.
Here is a link to the file on google drive if you are not able to download it here.https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwXqylXTgITAOWllTi1XRE5qdDA

Update V2-
Added Magisk Module
Decreased the video bit-rate by around 40%
Video is currently recorded at following bit-rate
4K at 24Mbps (default is 42Mbps)
1080p at 11Mbps (default is 20Mbps)
720p at 8Mbps (default is 14Mbps)

Update V2.1-
Fix for slow motion crashing on modded google camera

Tested only on OxygenOS 4.5.8

Attachments

• hevcMagiskV2OP5.zip
    9.1 KB · Views: 795
  • hevcMagiskNoCompressionOP5V2.zip
    9.1 KB · Views: 554
  • hevcMagiskNoCompressionOP5V2.1.zip
    9.2 KB · Views: 893
  • hevcMagiskV2.1OP5.zip
    9.2 KB · Views: 1,407
Last edited:

doubleaykay

Nov 8, 2013
What did you modify to enable this? Would be useful to know so that we can see if the same could be done on the 3/3T

M.M.K

Jan 2, 2015
Really useful... Could you please do the same for 3 and 3t? Or at least try? Thank you

pankajsammal

May 8, 2012
Bangalore
What did you modify to enable this? Would be useful to know so that we can see if the same could be done on the 3/3T

Really useful... Could you please do the same for 3 and 3t? Or at least try? Thank you

There is actually a mod like this for OnePlus 3 https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-3/how-to/mod-hevc-h-265-encoding-enabled-t3586792
Try it out. If it doesn't work then I can try to do it for 3/3t.

pankajsammal

May 8, 2012
Bangalore

media_profiles.xml needs to be modified to enable hevc encoding. You can check media_codecs.xml file in /system/etc/ to check if your phone supports hevc encoding, or if you want me to look into it just upload these two files and I will have a look.

64ashg

May 18, 2014
Redmi K20 Pro
media_profiles.xml needs to be modified to enable hevc encoding. You can check media_codecs.xml file in /system/etc/ to check if your phone supports hevc encoding, or if you want me to look into it just upload these two files and I will have a look.
Files are from the open beta 11 for the 3t, should be similar to the stable channel and 3. And the thread mentioned above for op3 is a really old one, additional codec support has been added to the devices since. Colud create conflicts, so I wouldn't be trying that out.
Edit I do see the support for hevc in media_codec.xml

Attachments

• media_codecs.xml
    21 KB · Views: 57
  • media_profiles.xml
    25.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

mystique47

Jul 7, 2013
Monza
mytrustedphysicians.com
opening video with desktop player says hevc so it should be worked. good job!! I guess we can have same quality with less bitrate as to say better quality at the same bitrate, even if max quality remains the same (sensor's limit)

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

I just made a test: recorded 2 videos at lowest bitrate in 264 (1,5mb/s) and 265 (0.8mb/s). 265 quality is much much better!

0xTJ

Dec 3, 2014
OnePlus 9
I was able to modify OnePlus 5 to enable HEVC/H.265 video recording at 4k, 1080p & 720p resolutions. I have also reduced the bit rate for the video so that it will take less storage space.

Note - Take a backup of your 'media_profiles.xml' located at system/etc/ before attempting this mod.

To install just overwrite 'media_profiles.xml' at system/etc/ with permission 0644 and reboot your phone.
Here is a link to the file on google drive if you are not able to download it here.https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwXqylXTgITAOWllTi1XRE5qdDA

Tested only on OxygenOS 4.5.5
I'm not familiar with these things; What's the advantage of doing this?

pankajsammal

May 8, 2012
Bangalore
Files are from the open beta 11 for the 3t, should be similar to the stable channel and 3. And the thread mentioned above for op3 is a really old one, additional codec support has been added to the devices since. Colud create conflicts, so I wouldn't be trying that out.
Edit I do see the support for hevc in media_codec.xml
Test to see if the attached file works for you. (don't forget to take a backup of the original)

Attachments

• media_profiles.xml
    25.5 KB · Views: 55

Top Liked Posts