• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Mostafa Wael

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 11, 2013
Gotham
Enhanced Thermal Configuration for HTC One M9!
Unleash the Dragon!!

brought to you by
H9YjnFi.png

Hello everyone! This is the official thread for my work on the enhanced thermal configuration to amend the thermals of our beloved M9! Yes it may be late, but for people like me who keep their devices for more than just a year or mere months, this should resurrect their devices and give their M9 a breath of fresh air!
I know, this thread should have been started a bit earlier, but personally I didn't expect progress to go that fast and have such a positive impact! :D
Anyways, without further redo, here is the link of my thermal files:
Dropbox
if requested, a mirror will be made available :)
Some XDA OP-style notes:
Code:
I am not responsible for nuclear fission in your phones, going late to college, having some Obsessive-Flashing Disorder Syndrome or you being fired from your house coz the wife got angry. apply this mod on your responsibility.

Okay back to business :)
->How to apply that mod...
***For test versions***
1- Ensure you have pnpmgr on (if you don't know what pnpmgr is, skip this step)
2- download the file from the dropbox folder from the link above
3- copy the file to /system/etc using a root explorer (yes overwrite the existing file when prompted)
4- change permissions of the file to rw-r-r after you copy the file
5- reboot your phone
6- Enjoy a blast!

***For Stable versions***
Just download the file from the Dropbox folder above and flash in recovery :)

->Changelog:
/*\ 30-4-2016
-> initial release and opening of this thread :)

/*\ 06-05-2016
-> Gaming thermal file escalated from "WIP" to "Beta" state :good:
-> Gaming file updated to Beta_2.0
-> Added a description to what the current gaming file targets (Real Racing 3 still excluded, needs work)
***Please do notice that my activity these days is susceptible to being a bit paused as I am nearing my final exams, so wish me good luck :) ***
/*\ 10-05-2016
-> Added a variant for the Nexus 6P (highly experimental!!! Backup your system first beforehand!!)
-> Added a new "cooler" variant, my best endeavor up till now actually

/*\ 06/05/2016
-> Added new "Optimised" file! Very recommended!!
-> From now on, all files are collected in one zip file to be flashed in recovery mode with a simple Aroma installer! credits go to @ivicask for that and thanks for @ZeroInfinity for helping in preparing the file :good:
-> Updated daily use (relaxed) to latest test version
-> Updated cooler beta to latest test version
-> Added the option to revert back to stock thermal file.
-> Probably something else I might have forgot
for technical info about the new Optimised variant, kindly check out this post here

->Special thanks<-
@LeeDroid for integrating my work in LeeDroid ROM :good:
@baadnewz for integrating my work in ICE ROM :good:
@hamdir for helping me with the gaming profile ;) :highfive:
@ivicask for his massive work and help in the Optimised variant :good:

my fellow beta testers, have done much of work for me, really big thanks
@ZeroInfinity .
@DeeZZ_NuuZZ
my beloved followers and first people to get their hands on :)
@fhartane
@skodann
@p50kombi
@gaeilgeganeagla
@Roobwz
@shezaad879

please PM me if you find yourself left out here and have been using my work, don't be shy :cyclops:

Enjoy! :)

Last edited:

Mostafa Wael

Jan 11, 2013
Gotham
For those who want to know how does the phone respond to each file, always check out this post as it will get updated with newer thermal files being released ;)

Stock HTC thermal file
Unfortunately it is encrypted, but here are what I was capable to detect throughout my usage so far
Stock HTC thermal file actually throttles the big core to 1632 MHz starting from 36°C and migrates all the threads from the big cluster to the little cluster starting from 38°C leaving the little cluster wrestling with the max frequency poorly while the big cluster is lying lazily on the minimum 384 MHz inactive.
This technique, though theoretically should work like a treat, produces some horrible warm temps AND terribly throttled performance!

Daily use:
Till 41 degrees, running unthrottled!
41°C -> 42°C it limits the big cluster to 1344 MHz instead of the usual max frequency of 1958 MHz and shuts down one big core, while the little cluster is lefy untouched.
42°C -> 43°C limits the big cluster to a further limit of 960 MHz and shuts down 2 big cores out of the four. Little cluster still left untouched
43°C -> 44°C little cluster is limited to 1344 MHz and the whole big cluster is shut down. Yes it is too severe, but you really do not want that metal phone get that hot so severe throttling is the only way to bring it down, should it rise that much actually.
This is the same one integrated in LeeDroid ROM (R9 and upwards) and in ICE ROM. This is by far the best one for daily use according to the first people to get their hands on the file and reported in Lee's thread :)
You should never go wrong with that one!

Daily use (relaxed):
same as Daily use but with 2 degrees lower temp from the first region, in other words, the first throttling step is initiated at 39°C instead of 41°C and the second throttling step is initiated at 40°C instead of 42°C
This is targeted for those who find the first normal daily-usage file a bit warmer than their taste. I am personally using this file as ambient temp here is too hot these days (around 33-35°C not to mention the high humidity as well!)

Gaming:
This one is WIP and is still being developed and optimized. Its goal is to achieve the highest sustainable gaming performance possible for long gaming periods (30 minutes and above)
Testers: Recommended games for testing are those high GPU demanding games (Dead Effect 2 for instance)
targeted temperature barrier should be around 43-44°C
As you may have seen already I pushed another test file in the gaming folder, so you see, it is still WIP and not ready for mass consumption :eek:

UPDATE!!: after a lot of tests thanks to our friend @avivhaiser and his prompt accurate tests, this file has escalated to a beta instead of WIP. A disclaimer as usual, this file is targeted at those who want to unleash the full gaming potential of the phone, those who are sensitive to every 1 fps drop, those eagle-eyed creatures who are dubbed as hardcore gamers who say no to every single graphical slowdown even if it was a momentary glitch. So prepare for some kicking ass gaming with this file! :cowboy:
But of course everyone knows that Witwiki saying of "No sacrifice, no victory" and here we sacrificed the relatively cooler temperature barrier for more power, and I am sure gamers will like that :D
So according to our friend @avivhaiser and his Dead Effect 2 stats, this file can run the game at a 60-ish fps with a max battery temp of 45 degrees compared to the 47-50 fps with a max battery temp of 42 degrees of the daily-usage file.
So you pick your sweet :D
And of course, this file should work as good as you would expect from the daily usage file when performing simple tasks, so don't worry you won't be running hot all the time, just a tad warmer when only gaming :good:

Last edited:

gaeilgeganeagla

Feb 19, 2011
Dublin
Still using the first version Leedroid baked into his rom, its just amazing, earlier was using wifi, chatting to people, listening to music off spotify, and had a bunch of other apps open, temp didnt get above 38c just keeps getting better.
Cant wait to get my hands on these new ones to try out

Reactions: Mostafa Wael

Mostafa Wael

Jan 11, 2013
Gotham
Still using the first version Leedroid baked into his rom, its just amazing, earlier was using wifi, chatting to people, listening to music off spotify, and had a bunch of other apps open, temp didnt get above 38c just keeps getting better.
Cant wait to get my hands on these new ones to try out
That is so good to hear!
I am testing another one that should strike that sweet spot of having cool thermals and best sustainable performance in gaming.
Underclocks the little cluster and keeps thermals intact! Good to gear you enjoying your time :D

Sent from my HTC One M9 using XDA Labs

skodann

• Jan 3, 2009
    Bucharest
    Youtube made by Google, Stock rom srpint 6.0 :v. After 10-20 mins my temp is ~ 45°C.

My question was about the thermal config files...which one did you loaded on your device? If you are unsatisfied with one file, load another one and see if there is any difference. Then you will be able to choose the right file for your daily usage and prefference. I also assume that you have read all the infos in that thread : http://forum.xda-developers.com/one-m9/general/battery-sot-t3067585/page153 post 1522 and 1526

Last edited:

fhartane

Dec 5, 2015
    @Mostafa Wael Hey thanks for all this work you're doing. I'm like you stuck with exams for now but I'm hoping to explore thermal configuration as soon as possible. I will keep following this thread and reading what people say about it. Cheers mate

Envoyé de mon HTC One M9 en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: Mostafa Wael

Mostafa Wael

Jan 11, 2013
    Gotham
    For those who stream YouTube so much like me, I use the daily-usage (relaxed edition) and the CPU governor settings in the recommendations post, which is linked in the 2nd post.

However, to make it easy for you (Don't get used to this :p ) here are the changed CPU governor settings

timer_rate -> 50000
    go_hispeed_load -> 90
    min_sample_time -> 80000

Input_boost set to 0 ms and 0/disabled frequency for the first core, just turn that damn thing off, it just screw battery life.

This are the values you need to change in the CPU Governor settings in the LITTLE cluster, leave the big cluster untouched! And use the thermal file named "daily usage (relaxed)"
    You should be cool with these settings.

And again, here is a disclaimer, I am really too busy to follow the threads here in xda, so if there is something really urgent, just quote me or mention me, I should be available shortly with an answer to your question :)
    Any help from my fellows will be greatly appreciated! :good: :highfive:

Last edited:

Mostafa Wael

Jan 11, 2013
    Gotham
    Why watching video on Youtube App make my M9 very HOT :v

Youtube made by Google, Stock rom srpint 6.0 :v. After 10-20 mins my temp is ~ 45�°C.

I hope my previous post above yours does answer your question.
    :D
    If you are interested in what makes it hot while watching youtube, it is just the CPU hanging at 960 MHz all the time while watching the YouTube video, and therefore it naturally heats up the device and runs down your battery like a dead dog in the streets. With the changes in the CPU governor settings, it should utilise all the mid frequencies as well. ;)

Also, another disclaimer, though mentioned in the first page, the "Gaming" folder is pretty much experimental now, I have discovered that it still needs some work to be done sadly, I am running a newer one rewritten from the scratch for gaming, so please stay away from that gaming folder for now till further notice!
    Thanks! :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: minhnewpro

Mostafa Wael

Jan 11, 2013
    Gotham
    My question was about the thermal config files...which one did you loaded on your device? If you are unsatisfied with one file, load another one and see if there is any difference. Then you will be able to choose the right file for your daily usage and prefference. I also assume that you have read all the infos in that thread : http://forum.xda-developers.com/one-m9/general/battery-sot-t3067585/page153 post 1522 and 1526
    Thanks for your precise tracking of those golden posts! Very much appreciated my friend :highfive:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Enhanced Thermal Configuration for HTC One M9!
      Unleash the Dragon!!

brought to you by
      H9YjnFi.png

Hello everyone! This is the official thread for my work on the enhanced thermal configuration to amend the thermals of our beloved M9! Yes it may be late, but for people like me who keep their devices for more than just a year or mere months, this should resurrect their devices and give their M9 a breath of fresh air!
      I know, this thread should have been started a bit earlier, but personally I didn't expect progress to go that fast and have such a positive impact! :D
      Anyways, without further redo, here is the link of my thermal files:
      Dropbox
      if requested, a mirror will be made available :)
      Some XDA OP-style notes:
      Code:
      I am not responsible for nuclear fission in your phones, going late to college, having some Obsessive-Flashing Disorder Syndrome or you being fired from your house coz the wife got angry. apply this mod on your responsibility.

Okay back to business :)
      ->How to apply that mod...
      ***For test versions***
      1- Ensure you have pnpmgr on (if you don't know what pnpmgr is, skip this step)
      2- download the file from the dropbox folder from the link above
      3- copy the file to /system/etc using a root explorer (yes overwrite the existing file when prompted)
      4- change permissions of the file to rw-r-r after you copy the file
      5- reboot your phone
      6- Enjoy a blast!

***For Stable versions***
      Just download the file from the Dropbox folder above and flash in recovery :)

->Changelog:
      /*\ 30-4-2016
      -> initial release and opening of this thread :)

/*\ 06-05-2016
      -> Gaming thermal file escalated from "WIP" to "Beta" state :good:
      -> Gaming file updated to Beta_2.0
      -> Added a description to what the current gaming file targets (Real Racing 3 still excluded, needs work)
      ***Please do notice that my activity these days is susceptible to being a bit paused as I am nearing my final exams, so wish me good luck :) ***
      /*\ 10-05-2016
      -> Added a variant for the Nexus 6P (highly experimental!!! Backup your system first beforehand!!)
      -> Added a new "cooler" variant, my best endeavor up till now actually

/*\ 06/05/2016
      -> From now on, all files are collected in one zip file to be flashed in recovery mode with a simple Aroma installer! credits go to @ivicask for that and thanks for @ZeroInfinity for helping in preparing the file :good:
      -> Probably something else I might have forgot
      for technical info about the new Optimised variant, kindly check out this post here

->Special thanks<-
      @LeeDroid for integrating my work in LeeDroid ROM :good:
      @baadnewz for integrating my work in ICE ROM :good:
      @hamdir for helping me with the gaming profile ;) :highfive:
      @ivicask for his massive work and help in the Optimised variant :good:

my fellow beta testers, have done much of work for me, really big thanks
      @ZeroInfinity .
      @DeeZZ_NuuZZ
      my beloved followers and first people to get their hands on :)
      @fhartane
      @skodann
      @p50kombi
      @gaeilgeganeagla
      @Roobwz
      @shezaad879

please PM me if you find yourself left out here and have been using my work, don't be shy :cyclops:

Enjoy! :)
      UPDATE!!!
      /*\ 06/05/2016
      -> Surprise! credits go to @ivicask for that surprise
      -> Probably something else I might have forgot :D :p

Download: here you go :)

Now, let's take a deep dive in the Optimised file...
      First I would like to say a MASSIVE thanks to our man, @ivicask for his help. He has contributed a lot for this update to be at the tip of your fingers now so he deserves a big shoutout! :good: :highfive: And of course a lot of thanks to my team mates @ZeroInfinity and @DeeZZ_NuuZZ for their accurate tests and help. I owe them a lot as well :)
      Without further redo, let's get started with what this file actually does.
      (*)Based on the HTC 10 thermal config file
      This new file is not based on the Nexus 6P file anymore, rather based on HTC's recent flagship dubbed the 10, which means we get their proprietary thermal protection for some parts that weren't monitored by the older files like the modem, emmc and others. Which means you get a safer and much more optimized file now. :good:
      (*)Integrated HTC's task migration actions back
      Also one of the things that were missing in the older Nexus 6P based files was the task migration, hence you felt the lightning speed of the phone no matter what the temperature or the core count of the big cluster was, and also that was why there were some situations like browsing were the phone heated up fairly quick and was causing us a lot of headaches. Now, we gain them back, which means, the phone's temperature should not rise as quick as it used to be in some situations like browsing and others.
      (*)Slacker trimmed hotplug policies
      One of the things that were featured in my recent tests was "Rotary hotplug" where I tried to imitate that of the OnePlus 2 where it tries to decrease thermals by rotating the positions of the active cores. However, OnePlus uses an Energy Aware Scheduler (EAS) which is responsible in monitoring every core's temperature and manages the whole thing. Sadly tho, we have no EAS here and I tried to imitate this by changing the active cores' position every 1C difference, but it was apparently useless after testing, and also their EAS used to change the active cores' position so frequent which is impossible to imitate.
      Also I had a bit more aggressive hotplug policies than most people's taste so, I slackened it a bit now since we have the task migration back ;)
      (*)Decoupled GPU throttling!
      What used to happen was GPU was being throttled by battery temps, which used to drop the performance a lot in games that do need this GPU power and not the CPU. So what we have basically done here in the file (all credits goes to @ivicask ) is separating the GPU throttling from the battery temperature thresholds, which means, that when certain temperature barrier is reached, it only throttles the CPU to cools things down and leave the GPU alone, which results in much much much better graphical performance since we unleashed the lion from its thermal cage now, and the same cool temperatures you like since the CPU is already throttling and tasks are headed to/migrated from the clusters properly now! This is the biggest change in the Optimised file imo, since this balances things up now instead of falsely butchering the GPU, we have it fledging its muscles and the CPU is only throttling ;)

The rest of the drill is pretty much known I guess :)
      Here is how it throttles
      36C -> Hexa-core (4:2 config) with little cores limited to 1.34 GHz
      38C -> Penta-core (3:2 config) with big cores limited to 1.34 GHz
      40C -> Penta-core (3:2 config) with big cores limited to 1.25 GHz

Frank Note: For those who want to increase the minimum performance of their phones, install EX Kernel by flar2 and then navigate to the "minimum performance level" in the EX Kernel Manager app in the CPU tab, and increase it in increments of 10% till you reach your desired minimum performance. However, put in mind that nothing beats physics, which means that more performance means CPU throttling is slackened, which means the big cores are allowed to operate more and therefore, there might be a temperature rise, minimal though I guess :D

I want to end this post with massive thanks again to @ivicask for his works and efforts, without him this Optimised file would have not seen the light of the day. And that goes without saying, thanks to my Team Helix members @ZeroInfinity and @DeeZZ_NuuZZ for their help in the numerous tests of mine haha :D :highfive:
      Will support this post with some stats, credits goes to @ZeroInfinity and @DeeZZ_NuuZZ for providing those :)
      Now go enjoy your time and open up some Beer hehe :cowboy:
      For those who want to know how does the phone respond to each file, always check out this post as it will get updated with newer thermal files being released ;)

Stock HTC thermal file
      Unfortunately it is encrypted, but here are what I was capable to detect throughout my usage so far
      Stock HTC thermal file actually throttles the big core to 1632 MHz starting from 36°C and migrates all the threads from the big cluster to the little cluster starting from 38°C leaving the little cluster wrestling with the max frequency poorly while the big cluster is lying lazily on the minimum 384 MHz inactive.
      This technique, though theoretically should work like a treat, produces some horrible warm temps AND terribly throttled performance!

Daily use:
      Till 41 degrees, running unthrottled!
      41°C -> 42°C it limits the big cluster to 1344 MHz instead of the usual max frequency of 1958 MHz and shuts down one big core, while the little cluster is lefy untouched.
      42°C -> 43°C limits the big cluster to a further limit of 960 MHz and shuts down 2 big cores out of the four. Little cluster still left untouched
      43°C -> 44°C little cluster is limited to 1344 MHz and the whole big cluster is shut down. Yes it is too severe, but you really do not want that metal phone get that hot so severe throttling is the only way to bring it down, should it rise that much actually.
      This is the same one integrated in LeeDroid ROM (R9 and upwards) and in ICE ROM. This is by far the best one for daily use according to the first people to get their hands on the file and reported in Lee's thread :)
      You should never go wrong with that one!

Daily use (relaxed):
      same as Daily use but with 2 degrees lower temp from the first region, in other words, the first throttling step is initiated at 39°C instead of 41°C and the second throttling step is initiated at 40°C instead of 42°C
      This is targeted for those who find the first normal daily-usage file a bit warmer than their taste. I am personally using this file as ambient temp here is too hot these days (around 33-35°C not to mention the high humidity as well!)

Gaming:
      This one is WIP and is still being developed and optimized. Its goal is to achieve the highest sustainable gaming performance possible for long gaming periods (30 minutes and above)
      Testers: Recommended games for testing are those high GPU demanding games (Dead Effect 2 for instance)
      targeted temperature barrier should be around 43-44°C
      As you may have seen already I pushed another test file in the gaming folder, so you see, it is still WIP and not ready for mass consumption :eek:

UPDATE!!: after a lot of tests thanks to our friend @avivhaiser and his prompt accurate tests, this file has escalated to a beta instead of WIP. A disclaimer as usual, this file is targeted at those who want to unleash the full gaming potential of the phone, those who are sensitive to every 1 fps drop, those eagle-eyed creatures who are dubbed as hardcore gamers who say no to every single graphical slowdown even if it was a momentary glitch. So prepare for some kicking ass gaming with this file! :cowboy:
      But of course everyone knows that Witwiki saying of "No sacrifice, no victory" and here we sacrificed the relatively cooler temperature barrier for more power, and I am sure gamers will like that :D
      So according to our friend @avivhaiser and his Dead Effect 2 stats, this file can run the game at a 60-ish fps with a max battery temp of 45 degrees compared to the 47-50 fps with a max battery temp of 42 degrees of the daily-usage file.
      So you pick your sweet :D
      And of course, this file should work as good as you would expect from the daily usage file when performing simple tasks, so don't worry you won't be running hot all the time, just a tad warmer when only gaming :good:
      For further enhancing your experience, check out my recommendations post here
      Also if you are into some technical description of what does pnpmgr do, check out this post here
      Okay I eventually got to my senses.
      Massive news everyone!
      A new overhaul is incoming.
      Final testings before release.
      It will be a lot safer and should be much better than any other past file.
      Will talk about it later.
      Thanks to all the kind words from ya people. Very much appreciated :)