• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[MOD] Hulu Hack GB/ICS 11.1.115.12

Search This thread

compuw22c

Dec 26, 2007
Chicago, IL
Ok guys, so I absolutely love Hulu and other legit TV sites, some of which prohibit mobile devices based on a "flash id" similar to what you have with a User Agent string for the browser. It is based on this ID that it prohibits mobile phones from accessing content such as hulu and HBO (I think?). With this mod your phone will appear as though it is a PC running flash and I believe it also modifies your version number to be something like 99.9.999.99 for sites that try and check the version number. I also must make sure to give credit where credit is due. Credit goes to imneveral0ne who posted the modified lib files in the Thunderbolt forums http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post12433036.

His mod stopped working because Gingerbread (and 10.3) copies the lib files from the APK itself back into the lib folder (/data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/) on boot, thus require the mod be redone every reboot. I simply took his mod, wrote a simple script that installs the hacked lib files to /data/flash/ at first for storage, modifies permission of /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/ so that it can be written to by the script, and also installs a "run on boot" script at /system/etc/init.d/01-fixflash.sh which will copy the hacked lib files from /data/flash to /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/. It also adds Hulu Bookmark app (1.0) to /data/app.

REQUIREMENTS:
Kernel with init.d support (most custom kernels with root support) and root
Busybox (for running the copy commands. If you don’t have it, install ‘busybox installer’ from the market once you are rooted)
Root explorer (recommended, not required)
NOTE: I have developed this file FOR gingerbread.

INSTRUCTIONS:
Install latest flash player (11.1.115.12) from the market FIRST and be sure to uncheck automatic updates (and don't manually either)
Make sure busybox is installed. One way to test this is to type cp –help in ADB and see if it can run the command. If it does, you’re good to go.
Next, simply flash the zip. Wipe cache/dalvik if you want (I don't believe it's necessary, although again, this is my first time and for whatever reason the script doesn't seem to want to run on its own the first time)

Upon first reboot, you MAY be lucky enough that it simply just works and you’re all set.If you still get the “Hulu not available for your platform” error, simply use either root explorer or adb to run the script for the first time manually. In root explorer, navigate to /system/etc/init.d, tap on S98fixflash and select “execute”. In ADB, navigate to /system/etc/init.d and type ‘sh S98fixflash’. Wait a sec for it to run, then try Hulu again. It should be working immediately (without a reboot required) AND the script should then run correctly on subsequent reboots.

Like I said this is my first "product" I've been able to make available to the community and am more than open to suggestions, criticisms and ideas of how I can make this script better. Enjoy guys!

EDIT: If you do have issues with the script not running on every reboot, simply install "Script Manager" from the market, navigate to /system/etc/init.d, select S98fixflash and check the "run on boot" checkbox.

NOTE: ICS Only version now (least as far as I know). May work on others, please let me and others know if it does work on GB
File is now attached to post due to multiupload being unavailable -

UPDATE 6/26/2012 for 11.1.115.12

Note: after more feedback it seems using busybox installer from the market helps if running the script, even manually does nothing.

Attachments

• ics_hack_flash_hulu11.1.115.11.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 93
  • ics_hack_flash_hulu11.1.115.12.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 182
Last edited:

compuw22c

Dec 26, 2007
Chicago, IL
Sorry, lots of explaining. If your rooted just update flash to latest in market, uncheck auto update adobe flash, then flash the zip. Should just work like it did on my gsII.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

S

sileshnair

A query

I was going thru your update-script. What does this line do?
Code:
set_perm(0, 2000, 0755, "/system/etc/init.d/01-fixflash.sh");

I did not find a 01-fixflash.sh in /system/etc/init.d folder, only S98fixflash?

compuw22c

Dec 26, 2007
Chicago, IL
I was going thru your update-script. What does this line do?
Code:
set_perm(0, 2000, 0755, "/system/etc/init.d/01-fixflash.sh");
I did not find a 01-fixflash.sh in /system/etc/init.d folder, only S98fixflash?

Oops, your right. Sorry I quickly modified this script from my old one I used on my epic and forgot to change that line. Will repair and repost now...

http://www.multiupload.com/VJWDKZ23FR

compuw22c

Dec 26, 2007
Chicago, IL
Note: after more feedback it seems using busybox installer from the market helps if running the script, even manually does nothing.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

compuw22c

Dec 26, 2007
Chicago, IL
update 9/5/2011 for 10.3.186.6 AND hopefully fixed data mounting issues on certain devices so it works easily on CWM on more devices

NOTE: Latest update includes a brand new flashplayer.so files freshly edited, so no more issues with youtube in the browser, and uses TRUE flash 10.3.186.6 libraries for increased performance (no longer based on 10.2)

Last edited:
Reactions: karthakon

compuw22c

Dec 26, 2007
Chicago, IL
I'm using it now on litening 6.1 (kh3) just fine with nymphetamine kernel. This thread is also in the epic 4g forums. Troubleshooting instructions are there a well as the op. Understand what the mod does by reading, then find out where its getting hung up. I guarantee if you read you'll find your problem. Sorry but I keep having to help people read my own posts... First guesses, reflash, check to see files were installed, run busybox installer,.try another kernel with working init.d support... Run script manually?

ogdobber

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 4, 2008
all you need to do to get it to work is to extract the libflashplayer.so from the zip the op posted and copy it to (and replace) the libflashplayer.so in
Code:
/data/flash/libflashplayer.so
and
Code:
/data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libplayerflash.so
do this using root explorer

this also enables crackle as well

there is no need to run a script

dyallo

Oct 2, 2010
Um, at the risk of sounding like a complete euro-dummy: What is Hulu, what does this hack do? Perhaps a bit of description in the first post? :D

emh870621345

Sep 20, 2010
all you need to do to get it to work is to extract the libflashplayer.so from the zip the op posted and copy it to (and replace) the libflashplayer.so in
Code:
/data/flash/libflashplayer.so
and
Code:
/data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/libplayerflash.so
do this using root explorer

this also enables crackle as well

there is no need to run a script

Yes but when you reboot with 2.3 or higher it replaces those files again back to stock.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok guys, so I absolutely love Hulu and other legit TV sites, some of which prohibit mobile devices based on a "flash id" similar to what you have with a User Agent string for the browser. It is based on this ID that it prohibits mobile phones from accessing content such as hulu and HBO (I think?). With this mod your phone will appear as though it is a PC running flash and I believe it also modifies your version number to be something like 99.9.999.99 for sites that try and check the version number. I also must make sure to give credit where credit is due. Credit goes to imneveral0ne who posted the modified lib files in the Thunderbolt forums http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post12433036.

His mod stopped working because Gingerbread (and 10.3) copies the lib files from the APK itself back into the lib folder (/data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/) on boot, thus require the mod be redone every reboot. I simply took his mod, wrote a simple script that installs the hacked lib files to /data/flash/ at first for storage, modifies permission of /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/ so that it can be written to by the script, and also installs a "run on boot" script at /system/etc/init.d/01-fixflash.sh which will copy the hacked lib files from /data/flash to /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib/. It also adds Hulu Bookmark app (1.0) to /data/app.

REQUIREMENTS:
    Kernel with init.d support (most custom kernels with root support) and root
    Busybox (for running the copy commands. If you don’t have it, install ‘busybox installer’ from the market once you are rooted)
    Root explorer (recommended, not required)
    NOTE: I have developed this file FOR gingerbread.

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Install latest flash player (11.1.115.12) from the market FIRST and be sure to uncheck automatic updates (and don't manually either)
    Make sure busybox is installed. One way to test this is to type cp –help in ADB and see if it can run the command. If it does, you’re good to go.
    Next, simply flash the zip. Wipe cache/dalvik if you want (I don't believe it's necessary, although again, this is my first time and for whatever reason the script doesn't seem to want to run on its own the first time)

Upon first reboot, you MAY be lucky enough that it simply just works and you’re all set.If you still get the “Hulu not available for your platform” error, simply use either root explorer or adb to run the script for the first time manually. In root explorer, navigate to /system/etc/init.d, tap on S98fixflash and select “execute”. In ADB, navigate to /system/etc/init.d and type ‘sh S98fixflash’. Wait a sec for it to run, then try Hulu again. It should be working immediately (without a reboot required) AND the script should then run correctly on subsequent reboots.

Like I said this is my first "product" I've been able to make available to the community and am more than open to suggestions, criticisms and ideas of how I can make this script better. Enjoy guys!

EDIT: If you do have issues with the script not running on every reboot, simply install "Script Manager" from the market, navigate to /system/etc/init.d, select S98fixflash and check the "run on boot" checkbox.

NOTE: ICS Only version now (least as far as I know). May work on others, please let me and others know if it does work on GB
    File is now attached to post due to multiupload being unavailable -

UPDATE 6/26/2012 for 11.1.115.12

Yes but when you reboot with 2.3 or higher it replaces those files again back to stock.

huh?? I just rebooted and the modified libflashplayer.so is still there.... (and hulu still works)
    btw I am on kg6 (2.3.4) with a custom kernel

Anyone have any issues with watching hulu on a modified rom that blocks ad's? I'm getting an error from hulu that the content is not able to be viewed because the ad's are blocked.

I run adfree and instead of the ad, I get
    sorry, we're unable to load a message from our sponsors....etc
    video still starts after the second countdown
    it works and its amazing.
    update 9/5/2011 for 10.3.186.6 AND hopefully fixed data mounting issues on certain devices so it works easily on CWM on more devices

NOTE: Latest update includes a brand new flashplayer.so files freshly edited, so no more issues with youtube in the browser, and uses TRUE flash 10.3.186.6 libraries for increased performance (no longer based on 10.2)
    Must be something with kg6. Cuz that's what happens on my Xoom and DInc.

ah, so you not on a samsung device...
    but I think your problem is with verizon and not the 2.3.3+ android version