• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[MOD]i9195 Disable HOME button on lockscreen(rooted stock rom)[MOD]

Search This thread

jodge

Nov 7, 2006
Hi

The main goal: disabling the home button wake on the lockscreen and every other home fuction remain the same

this solution based on this tutorial:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2224688

you need root acces:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2364980

Download Total Commander from Play (it's better bcose there is automatic moun/remount function )
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander

- allow root acces to TC
- navigate to /system/usr/keylayout
- locate and copy to safe place gpio-keys.kl and sec_keys.kl
- open the original files with TC editor (press once on the filename and choose "Edit")
- Search the following lines in gpio-keys.kl:
Code:
key 102 HOME        WAKE
key 172 HOME        WAKE
and delete the WAKE world and all spaces after HOME!
it should be looking:
Code:
key 102 HOME
key 172 HOME

- save gpio-keys.kl (TC do all mount-remount thing)

- Search the following line in sec_keys.kl:
Code:
key 172 HOME        WAKE
it should be looking:
Code:
key 172 HOME

- save sec_keys.kl (TC do all mount-remount thing)

restart the phone and enjoy :)

Last edited:

Whosat

May 9, 2013
If you're using CM, go to Settings - Display and Uncheck the second last option to achieve the same effect in a much simpler way :)

Attachments

• 1381496295881.jpg
    1381496295881.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 3,129

miso00

Jun 5, 2012
Very useful tutorial. Thank you a lot. My phone used to unlock itself in my pocket and then make a call or mess up settings... S4 mini reacts to touches trough thin cloth. This wasn't problem on HTC.

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Wanam xposed module can do it ss well. Obviously you need to have xposed framework installed.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using XDA Free mobile app

timothybaran

Jul 15, 2014
Not working with my AT&T S3 with stock 4.4.2 android. This is driving my nuts. There has to be a way to disable this. HELP!!!

zxcvbe

Jun 25, 2014
Hi,

I've rooted my Galaxy S4 mini because the home button is turning on the screen continiously draining my battery. The root was succesfull, but i cant edit the files with Total commander. I get a 're-mount error'. Anyone know how to solve this? I'm running stock android 4.2.2.

I also tried installing Wanam Xposed and found the option, but it didn't work.

Thanks

Last edited:

no-idea

Mar 22, 2008
Removing WAKE didn't help my either. I had to comment out (#) the whole line in gpio-keys.kl.

Now HOME is completely disabled and I installed Auto Hide Soft Keys to create a virtual nav bar.

On the other hand, who needs HOME ;)

Reactions: zxcvbe

zxcvbe

Jun 25, 2014
Removing WAKE didn't help my either. I had to comment out (#) the whole line in gpio-keys.kl.

Now HOME is completely disabled and I installed Auto Hide Soft Keys to create a virtual nav bar.

Thanks for your reaction! My problem is that i cant change the gpio-keys.kl file. I get a 're-mount error'. But maybe i will need your suggestion further on.

no-idea

Mar 22, 2008
Hmmm, phone is rooted?

I used ES File Explorer in Root Mode, changed gpio-keys.kl file permissions to rx-rx-rx, edited the file and restored permissions to rx-r-r. After a reboot, HOME was disabled.

zxcvbe

Jun 25, 2014
Hmmm, phone is rooted?

I used ES File Explorer in Root Mode, changed gpio-keys.kl file permissions to rx-rx-rx, edited the file and restored permissions to rx-r-r. After a reboot, HOME was disabled.

Yes the phone is rooted. I checked it with root checker. Maybe i need to change the the file permissions. How can i do this? With ES file explorer?
Do you use stock android ?

no-idea

Mar 22, 2008
Yes I'm on stock rom.

Open ES Explorer and go to Tools. Switch on Root Explorer. Mark the file and change the permissions via More > Properties. Just add the middle and lower check on the right side.

Now edit the file and change the permissions back.

Reactions: zxcvbe

zxcvbe

Jun 25, 2014
I am able to save the file now, but the home button is still functioning. I commented out the lines with HOME in gpio-keys.kl and rebooted. But still the screen keeps turning on because of the home button.:crying:

iamsorandom

Jul 20, 2013
In reverse?

Anyone know if the opposite variation on this is possible?
I.e., I'd like to be able to use the home button to wake my phone up, but not to take me to the home screen, simply to turn the screen on so I can continue with whatever app I'm currently using, such as gps... (if it can carry on working as home button when the screen is already on, that would be fine).

Using the side power button can sometimes be a hassle and I'd like a way to simply turn the screen on quickly. I'm also on CM not stock though...

Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi

The main goal: disabling the home button wake on the lockscreen and every other home fuction remain the same

this solution based on this tutorial:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2224688

you need root acces:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2364980

Download Total Commander from Play (it's better bcose there is automatic moun/remount function )
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander

- allow root acces to TC
    - navigate to /system/usr/keylayout
    - locate and copy to safe place gpio-keys.kl and sec_keys.kl
    - open the original files with TC editor (press once on the filename and choose "Edit")
    - Search the following lines in gpio-keys.kl:
    Code:
    key 102 HOME        WAKE
    key 172 HOME        WAKE
    it should be looking:
    Code:
    key 102 HOME
    key 172 HOME

- save gpio-keys.kl (TC do all mount-remount thing)

- Search the following line in sec_keys.kl:
    Code:
    key 172 HOME        WAKE
    it should be looking:
    Code:
    key 172 HOME

- save sec_keys.kl (TC do all mount-remount thing)

restart the phone and enjoy :)

Yes I'm on stock rom.

Open ES Explorer and go to Tools. Switch on Root Explorer. Mark the file and change the permissions via More > Properties. Just add the middle and lower check on the right side.

Now edit the file and change the permissions back.