[MOD] ICS Email.apk Bypassing Exchange Security Policy (modded by irtehun)

irtehun

May 31, 2010
This is for Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.1 Only!

Modded ICS EmailGoogle.apk to allow Bypass of Security Policy.

Attached is just the APK and then a zip file which SHOULD be able to be flashed with CWM. The zip has been untested, so please post feedback.

Howto Install.

1.) Use Root Explorer or something like it and naviagte to system/app, mount as r/w and delete Email.apk, Reboot Device

2.) copy the new EmailGoogle.apk to system/app and change permissions to Owner(read,write), Group(read), Others(read).

rebot again. and your done.

Attachments

Last edited:

zaidaiman

Feb 28, 2010
Got it working.
I delete both EmailGoogle.apk and ExchangeGoogle.apk at /system/app.
Reboot, copy back your modded EmailGoogle.apk and ExchangeGoogle.apk

Thanks a lot dude!!

Last edited:

luapclark

Aug 8, 2010
Got it working.

Thanks a lot dude!!
Does this require a de odexed rom? The stock galaxy nexus has odex files so im not sure if this will work?

Also you mention the exchangegoogle.apk this isnt provided here, do you mean you backed up the stock one and reinstated it along with the moded emailgoogle.apk after a reboot?

Cheers

zaidaiman

Feb 28, 2010
Does this require a de odexed rom? The stock galaxy nexus has odex files so im not sure if this will work?

Also you mention the exchangegoogle.apk this isnt provided here, do you mean you backed up the stock one and reinstated it along with the moded emailgoogle.apk after a reboot?

Cheers
I would say it requires de-odexed ROM.
I can't install this as normal application, it will return fail.
So I know I need to clear the email off the system (including the ExchangeGoogle).
Backed it up, delete and reboot.

Then I copy both of them back and reboot it. :)

irtehun

May 31, 2010
Got it working.

Thanks a lot dude!!
No problem. U don't have to delete ExchangeGoogle.apk though.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

jasbur17

Sep 1, 2008
Are we sure this requires deodexed rom? I'm willing to root for this, but it's a-little early for me to start flashing. I usually don't do that until I'm bored with stock.
Thanks irtehun!

irtehun

May 31, 2010
Are we sure this requires deodexed rom? I'm willing to root for this, but it's a-little early for me to start flashing. I usually don't do that until I'm bored with stock.
Thanks irtehun!
Pretty sure it has to be de-odexed, but u could let us know if it works on stock.

jasbur17

Sep 1, 2008
I accepted your challenge. Unfortunately when I launch email it just tells me that unfortunately exchange services has stopped.
Perhaps I'll be flashing sooner than I thought.

irtehun

May 31, 2010
I accepted your challenge. Unfortunately when I launch email it just tells me that unfortunately exchange services has stopped.
Must have to be de-odexed. Send me a pm and ill give u my email and will try to mod the stock one to work

jasbur17

Sep 1, 2008
Well, I thought I'd get it over with - so I flashed the Revolution HD rom for my Galaxy Nexus.
I tried both methods, copying and CWM for the modified apk but I still get the exchange error when opening the email app. I copied back the original apk and it launched OK.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I sent you a PM in case...
Thanks!

irtehun

May 31, 2010
Well, I thought I'd get it over with - so I flashed the Revolution HD rom for my Galaxy Nexus.
I tried both methods, copying and CWM for the modified apk but I still get the exchange error when opening the email app. I copied back the original apk and it launched OK.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I sent you a PM in case...
Thanks!
Are u sure that ROM is deodexed?

Also send me the Email.apk from that ROM. I'll mod that particular one and let u try it.

Last edited:

zaidaiman

Feb 28, 2010
Must have to be de-odexed. Send me a pm and ill give u my email and will try to mod the stock one to work

Which is why I deleted/backup EmailGoogle.apk and ExchangeGoogle.apk, reboot and copy paste back the modded EmailGoogle.apk and ExchangeGoogle.apk.

Else, I'll just get exchange services has stopped.

irtehun

May 31, 2010
Which is why I deleted/backup EmailGoogle.apk and ExchangeGoogle.apk, reboot and copy paste back the modded EmailGoogle.apk and ExchangeGoogle.apk.

Else, I'll just get exchange services has stopped.
Well thanks hope that helps him out. I have no power at my house(damn snow storm) so I can't help him by Modding his version

Last edited:

jasbur17

Sep 1, 2008
zaidaiman, can I ask what rom you're using?
I swear I did it right, but it's still a no go for me.
I copied the 2 APKs EmailGoogle and ExchangeGoogle to sdcard for backup.
I deleted the 2 files from system/app
rebooted
copied the modded EmailGoogle and then the ExchangeGoogle APKs back to system/app
changed file permissions to read/write, read, read.
rebooted.
Immediately on bootup I get the exchange error. I tried to go through email setup and got the exchange error several more times then it closed the email app.

zaidaiman

Feb 28, 2010
zaidaiman, can I ask what rom you're using?
I swear I did it right, but it's still a no go for me.
I copied the 2 APKs EmailGoogle and ExchangeGoogle to sdcard for backup.
I deleted the 2 files from system/app
rebooted
copied the modded EmailGoogle and then the ExchangeGoogle APKs back to system/app
changed file permissions to read/write, read, read.
rebooted.
Immediately on bootup I get the exchange error. I tried to go through email setup and got the exchange error several more times then it closed the email app.
I'm using kwiboo's ICS AOSP ROM with franco.kernel ICS on Nexus S.
How about you try to set it up, just ignore the bloody exchange service has stopped, reboot and uninstall it through titanium.

I think the issue is the some sort of "registry". Need to clear this one for sure.

irtehun

May 31, 2010
I use Exchange mail for work and I'm curious: why would you actually need this? Is this only for people who have specific security policies that prevent the stock Email app from connecting to the server?
No it bypasses the password lock so u don't have to enter password every time u unlock

T

Thyrus

PS: not sure if it is the apk you modded's fault or the exhange - but after a couple of reboots or 24hours, the email stops responding - and I get a "cannot connect due to security" message.

Need to re-enable pin lock, then re-synch, then change the unlock method again.