[MOD] [ICS] Increase maximum bluetooth a2dp bitpool to 64!

Search This thread

lambgx02

Jul 26, 2008
Montreal
Success! Ladies and gentlemen, we are in business! :good:

I've rebuilt ICS from the 4.0.4 + Samsung patch tree, with the a2dp max bitpool set to a more appropriate 64. For the first time ever, let your Glide sound the way it should over bluetooth! :)

Updated library (and source patch) attached. Simply push audio.a2dp.default.so to /system/lib/fw (root & rw /system required), or use the CWMR flashable update provided by thegreatergood (CWMR_a2dp-bitpool-fix.zip).

Please note this binary is only compatible with the official ICS (IMM76D/UCLH2) and the leaked ICS build! It will have no effect on the previous Gingerbread build.

Take a nand backup with CWMR before you begin! If this library is corrupted, your phone will hang during bootup!

Code:
6 [email protected]:/system/lib/hw# logcat | grep -i bitpool
D/A2DP    ( 3768):      min_bitpool: 2
D/A2DP    ( 3768):      max_bitpool: 53
D/A2DP    ( 3768):      bitpool=53

53 is the max supported by the headset I'm using, and it sounds great!

Note - if you want to apply the source patch yourself, the target files are in external/bluetooth/bluez/audio.

Thanks to thegreatergood for creating a CWMR flashable archive!

Enjoy!

Attachments

• a2dp-bitpool-fix.src-diff.zip
    1 KB · Views: 738
  • a2dp-bitpool-fix.zip
    75 KB · Views: 989
  • CWMR_a2dp-bitpool-fix.zip
    199.9 KB · Views: 773
Last edited:

dudejb

Feb 16, 2007
Montreal
Hi guys,

So like many, I've got the new ICS build up and running, and it does resolve a lot of issues (hey - a working compass in Google Maps!).

One issue it does not resolve is the poor bluetooth a2dp audio quality. Still locked at 35 bitpool. Sigh.

I'm working on resolving this situation, now that (I hope) the proprietary broadcom binaries and junk are gone, and will post progress here. If anyone has any comments / suggestions / patches let me know!

Ya that is one thing that really is bothering me with the leak is it takes forever to connect with Google maps I Mean close to 15 minutes!! Perhaps I should start looking at switching to the release if you say this is fixed....Just wish someone would make a CWM version.

lambgx02

Jul 26, 2008
Montreal
This should be in the general section

Sent from my SGH-I927 using xda premium

This does not belong in Development, until a file is ready for downloading - that's what belongs in Development. Until then, it belongs in General.

Just so we're clear here (I wouldn't want to make the mistake twice) - you're saying threads of technical nature that involve potentially pasting code snippets, log dumps, modifications to /system and other risky procedures which may (soft) brick devices belong in the general discussion forum, unless the first message contains an attachment?

If so, when my 4.0.4 source tree build finally completes and I upload a modified /system/lib/hw/audio.a2dp.default.so and diffs, should I expect complaints that the thread belongs in the development section?

reinbeau

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 14, 2010
South of Boston, MA
Just so we're clear here (I wouldn't want to make the mistake twice) - you're saying threads of technical nature that involve potentially pasting code snippets, log dumps, modifications to /system and other risky procedures which may (soft) brick devices belong in the general discussion forum, unless the first message contains an attachment?

If so, when my 4.0.4 source tree build finally completes and I upload a modified /system/lib/hw/audio.a2dp.default.so and diffs, should I expect complaints that the thread belongs in the development section?

Development discussion, once something is developed, takes place in the thread if the developer allows it, since there its no Q&A section.

Sent from a state of Serendipity

Reactions: jayjayjoker2
N

Nardholio

Pandora sounds a lot better with Ford Sync now, thanks.

Sent from my SGH-I927 using xda premium

ninthsense

Jul 11, 2008
Bangalore
Awesome to see a new MOD. :good: . I still go with the wired headphones, as Bluetooth headphones previously didn't sounded great. Maybe this is what was needed. Will surely check this out.

taiber2000

Feb 27, 2012
can the fix be done on GB? i'm still using it until i'll have custom rom that will support my language.
i know it been compiled for ics but can we use the source to change the gb version?

lambgx02

Jul 26, 2008
Montreal
can the fix be done on GB? i'm still using it until i'll have custom rom that will support my language.
i know it been compiled for ics but can we use the source to change the gb version?

Sadly, no. This is the main reason I was so excited when the ICS source was released.

The problem is the Gingerbread build uses a proprietary Broadcom binary for managing bluetooth, and I wasn't able to hack the binary itself. Tried for weeks.

I hope an ICS build comes out for you soon!

Necc86

Jun 8, 2012
Greetings.

After overwriting the original file, and rebooting the phone, i noticed a minor audio quality improvement (minor, but clearly noticeable) by using a Nokia BH-905 headset, and listening to music files, however i do not tested calls yet.

lambgx02

Jul 26, 2008
Montreal
Greetings.

After overwriting the original file, and rebooting the phone, i noticed a minor audio quality improvement (minor, but clearly noticeable) by using a Nokia BH-905 headset, and listening to music files, however i do not tested calls yet.

The quality improvement depends on the headset, which can also set the maximum bitpool size. If the BH-905 limits the bitpool to 45, that would only be slightly better than the stock 35. If you're interested, you can check the negotiated bitpool size with:

Code:
logcat | grep -i bitpool

.. shortly after connecting A2DP.

Note that this patch will have no effect on voice calls, since they use a different profile (HSP / HFP).

Reactions: Nardholio

taiber2000

Feb 27, 2012
Sadly, no. This is the main reason I was so excited when the ICS source was released.

The problem is the Gingerbread build uses a proprietary Broadcom binary for managing bluetooth, and I wasn't able to hack the binary itself. Tried for weeks.

I hope an ICS build comes out for you soon!

damn, thanks man. i hope that a port of aosp/aokp or cm9/10 will be out and then i will upgrade to it - and i believe there isn't a problem in those roms with the bitpool. btw how can i know the maximum bitpool of my headset? i have a sony erricson mw600.

lambgx02

Jul 26, 2008
Montreal
damn, thanks man. i hope that a port of aosp/aokp or cm9/10 will be out and then i will upgrade to it - and i believe there isn't a problem in those roms with the bitpool. btw how can i know the maximum bitpool of my headset? i have a sony erricson mw600.

Just connect them and start playing some music while running:
Code:
logcat | grep -i bitpool
Even with the 35-limited stock library it should tell you what headset requested.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Success! Ladies and gentlemen, we are in business! :good:

I've rebuilt ICS from the 4.0.4 + Samsung patch tree, with the a2dp max bitpool set to a more appropriate 64. For the first time ever, let your Glide sound the way it should over bluetooth! :)

Updated library (and source patch) attached. Simply push audio.a2dp.default.so to /system/lib/fw (root & rw /system required), or use the CWMR flashable update provided by thegreatergood (CWMR_a2dp-bitpool-fix.zip).

Please note this binary is only compatible with the official ICS (IMM76D/UCLH2) and the leaked ICS build! It will have no effect on the previous Gingerbread build.

Take a nand backup with CWMR before you begin! If this library is corrupted, your phone will hang during bootup!

Code:
    6 [email protected]:/system/lib/hw# logcat | grep -i bitpool
    D/A2DP    ( 3768):      min_bitpool: 2
    D/A2DP    ( 3768):      max_bitpool: 53
    D/A2DP    ( 3768):      bitpool=53

53 is the max supported by the headset I'm using, and it sounds great!

Note - if you want to apply the source patch yourself, the target files are in external/bluetooth/bluez/audio.

Thanks to thegreatergood for creating a CWMR flashable archive!

Enjoy!
    Can somebody make a ZIP to flash?

done! :) .... Warning this will not make a backup of your current audio.a2dp.default.so .... tested on my device and it still boots ....
    Thread moved

This does not belong in Development, until a file is ready for downloading - that's what belongs in Development. Until then, it belongs in General.

Development discussion, once something is developed, takes place in the thread if the developer allows it, since there its no Q&A section.

Sent from a state of Serendipity
    Hey VS,

How do I recompile this for Galaxy Note? Can you give me some tips?

I guess I would need the Galaxy Note source right? Any ideas ??

Thanks in advance !!!. :angel: I am effing desperate to get this bitpool fixed, because A2DP music is it for me.......

Well, you have to grab the Android tree using git, then apply the Samsung "patches" on top of the tree, patch the bluetooth stuff, then build. It's... involved. But start here:

Initialize a Build Environment | Android Open Source

.. and grab the Samsung code from the SOSRC:

Samsung Open Source Release Center

My patch would probably apply cleanly, but I'm not familiar with the Note at all. If you give it a shot, good luck! :good: