• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

(MOD)Improve performance eliminate lag with CTTMod (updated 11/08)

Search This thread

Prey521

Aug 28, 2007
New Caney, TX
I had to remove this MOD due to the fact that I'm an Angry Birds 2 addict, and with this mod, my phone would lose power while I was playing even when I was plugged in to the factory quick charger! Otherwise, it worked great and I'll probably add it back once I lose my AB2 addiction LOL

equlizer

Sep 20, 2007
I seem to have lost wifi and LTE after flashing this file

reversing the process does no help either. And of course i didnt do a nandroid before this. I have to revert to 2 weeks ago.

Anyone else experience this?

Last edited:

JRJ442

Jan 18, 2011
Salisbury, Md
Google Pixel 3a
I seem to have lost wifi and LTE after flashing this file

reversing the process does no help either. And of course i didnt do a nandroid before this. I have to revert to 2 weeks ago.

Anyone else experience this?
I haven't had anything like that happen and I've been using this since the thread first appeared. Also I highly doubt changing the thermal-engine.conf would have any effect on your Wi-Fi or data signal. Something else had to have caused that.

Reactions: jspikeball123

leonardo_hd5

May 8, 2012
São Carlos - SP
@Robshr Hello, thank you for the mod! I would like to ask a question: When the battery reaches 10%, the 4 big cores are disabled. I do not remember this happening before the mod, but anyway, I wonder if it has anything to do with it. Thanks!

Edit: I did the backup flash and it happened too. It should be some mode of android protection. Thanks!

Last edited:

shadowstep

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Jun 6, 2014
Ambala
OnePlus 5
@Robshr Hello, thank you for the mod! I would like to ask a question: When the battery reaches 10%, the 4 big cores are disabled. I do not remember this happening before the mod, but anyway, I wonder if it has anything to do with it. Thanks!

Edit: I did the backup flash and it happened too. It should be some mode of android protection. Thanks!

The four big cores get disabled not because of thermal throttling (which this mod handles), but due to the BCL driver. What is this BCL driver? BCL polls the battery monitor system for various values such as voltage, current and temperature through the battery. This driver is meant to help prevent possible reboots (although with it removed on several devices, there have been no issues). The way it prevents reboots is by setting thresholds and when the threshold is passed or tripped, it will throttle or disable/offline cores, which is what is happening in your case as well.

biglo

Jul 18, 2009
OnePlus 7 Pro
So does this thermal mod lower the threshold value and a make the device run cooler or does it use some sort of technique that cools it faster and still have fast performance?

shadowstep

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Jun 6, 2014
Ambala
OnePlus 5
So does this thermal mod lower the threshold value and a make the device run cooler or does it use some sort of technique that cools it faster and still have fast performance?

On the contrary, it increases the temperature thresholds so that thermal throttling does not kick in early and you can use the device at full performance over a longer period of time as compared to stock, at the cost of the device getting warmer than stock.

How safe is this are there any consequences of using this??

Personally, I've been using it since Day 1 and it has worked fine for me without any issues whatsoever. :)

Reactions: just4kix
May 29, 2014
Samsung Galaxy A42 5G
How can I uninstall this? My phone gets too hot quickly while playing for awhile, drains my battery too.

Also if I'm using Kernel auditor, should I turn off the core control? It's in the thermal settings with the SoC temp throttle.

Last edited:

leonardo_hd5

May 8, 2012
São Carlos - SP
@Robshr I found a small error in CTTMod 7.2. In the "[MONITOR_MSM_THERM_GPU]" tab, no action takes the GPU to 600mhz, the maximum clock in all actions is 510mhz.
The file looks like this:

[MONITOR_MSM_THERM_GPU]
algo_type monitor
sampling 1000
sensor msm_therm
thresholds 50000 52000 54000 56000 58000
thresholds_clr 49000 51000 53000 55000 57000
actions gpu gpu gpu gpu gpu
action_info 510000000 510000000 450000000 305000000 180000000

I think the correct one would be:

[MONITOR_MSM_THERM_GPU]
algo_type monitor
sampling 1000
sensor msm_therm
thresholds 50000 52000 54000 56000 58000
thresholds_clr 49000 51000 53000 55000 57000
actions gpu gpu gpu gpu gpu
action_info 600000000 510000000 450000000 305000000 180000000

Last edited:

jeremmie

Sep 28, 2005
Pls help how do i increase my threshold of my nexus 6p with cm13 firmware. My phone gets laggy playing mobile legends.. I wont mind my phone getting hot at all.. Thanks

So far ive downloaded only kernel editor...
I would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. I just want a snappier phone.

My antutu bench mark test was only 50k+ during gaming. Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jeremmie

Sep 28, 2005
So i have managed to install the mod and kernel audiutor.

Used 6.2 and follow all the settings on post #114..

Notice my phone throttles down even though i have the mod installed and done. That's ~20min of intense gaming (mobile legend) and my fps really drops so low.. Pls help.. Am i missing something???

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170312-071818.png
    Screenshot_20170312-071818.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing the CTTMod
    (cpu thermal throttling mod)
    Most popular mod for the G3 & G4 now here for the Nexus
    Remember always make a full nandroid backup before doing anything
    I Am Not Responsible For Anything You Do To Your Device.
    Please read entire op before asking questions

Rom & kernel developers please feel free to include in your work. Just please give proper credit thanks

Best used in conjunction with an over clocked kernel i.e. elemental x
    Working to improve performance eliminate lag along with lowering the core temps allowing your phone to continue to run smoothly after long or heavy periods of use.
    Thermal control works by throttling the CPU down to preset frequencies at preset temperatures and is also done in a preset # of steps. Thermals also monitor and play parts in controlling other components like the GPU, battery and a couple of other things.
    First let me be clear about one thing
    The CTTMod does not turn off thermal throttling. Now the trick of going into the hidden menu and turning thermal mitigation and thermal control on. That does turn off all thermal monitoring and control and I highly advise against ever doing it. You take a huge risk of frying your phone.

What I've done is changed the first frequency bump down of two in the little cluster and left the 2nd stock
    And in the big cluster I changed the first and second frequency bump downs of three and left the third stock
    I've also increased the temperature at which it resets by 5° in versions 4x
    For more info on how thermal works along with how the governor affects performance you can check out my op for the CTTMod for the G3 here

Instructions

1: Do a full nandroid back up
    2: Back up your thermal file which is in system/etc ( thermal-engine.conf )
    3: Flash mod and wipe cache
    4: Reboot
    5: In your kernel control app like kernel auditor set your thermal driver to msm thermal or temperature limit SoC temperture limit depending on what you kernel offers
    The idea in the above is to make the kernel use the system's stock thermal driver which is the one I modded
    I personally also check all cores on
    Finally enjoy
    One final note this mod and xceed kernel do not work together as xceed has built in it's own thermal control. If you would like to use this mod with xceed kernel you would have to ask the developer of xceed to make a compatible version. Sorry out of my hands.

Please hit the thanks Button and give it a 5 star rating :good:
    Downloads

AFH downloads:

CTTMod v-3.1

CTTMod-v4
    Change log: increased when the CPU resets after it has reached it's max temp, upped from 55°c to 60°c

CTTMod v-4.1
    Changelog: increased the frequency of the first bump down in the big cluster

CTTMod v-5
    Changelog: Increased the temperature by 2° at which the CPU and GPU bumps down there frequencies (Left the last bump 2 bump downs stock)

CTTMod v-5.1
    Changelog: increased the temps of the CPU and GPU first 2 bump downs. CPU now starts throttling at 48°c and GPU starts at 44°c

CTTMod V-6
    Changelog: increased 2nd GPU frequency step down and the goal of the experimental part is to lower overall temps

CTTMod- v6.1 revised
    Change log: Fixed smoothness and I also modified the thermal hot plugging
    Giving the option to use the stock thermal hot plug and still reap the rewards of this mod (please Google or an xda search on hot plug/ing if you don't know what it is before asking)

CTTMod 6.2: Improved performance

* 6- for MM *
    * 7+ for nougat only *

CTTMod-V-7 1 Nougat
    Updated for the final version on nougat (plus some added improvements)
    Fixed and reuploaded

CTTMod 7.2 Nougat
    Improved performance

CTTMod 8 over clocked nougat
    Increased both big and little clustered first bump down and the GPUs first bump down to increase performance on kernels that can be overclocked to at least 2ghz on the big cluster and 1.7 on the small cluster

CTTMod 8.1 over clocked nougat Increased first bump down on big and little clusters

CttMod-Oreo-stock kernel-v-1

CttMod-Oreo-over clocked kernel-v-1

Donations are welcome but not required
    At least please hit the thanks button to show your appreciation
    Thanks Rob
    Return to stock, pre-releases & governor settings

Return to stock-
    Stock thermal

CTTMod 7.1.1 test version

Original thermals taken from the latest build of nitrogen ROM with there kernel

Go here for my CPU interactive governor settings for the best balance for performance and battery
    I recommend elemental x kernel over clocked, I/o schedule to deadline and f sync off
    For anyone interested here are my governor settings
    First 2 are for the big cluster and the second 2 are little cluster
    Over 250 downloads and counting
    Thanks for your support