(MOD)Improve performance eliminate lag with CTTMod (updated 11/08)

Search This thread

jeremmie

Sep 28, 2005
1443fbba10ae500ab7e3d0f03585d122.jpg

Why does my thermal tab doesnt have a slide adjuster for limit temps.

Im now running
EX kernel
CM13 (marshmallow)
V6.2 CTT Mod
CPU governor elementalX

Pls guys need your advice

Last edited:

JRJ442

Jan 18, 2011
Salisbury, Md
Google Pixel 3a
Why does my thermal tab doesnt have a slide adjuster for limit temps.

Im now running
EX kernel
CM13 (marshmallow)
V6.2 CTT Mod
CPU governor elementalX

Pls guys need your advice
I don't think KA has the option of raising the temperature. You'd need something like ElementalX's kernel app on the Play Store. Keep in mind though you don't want to raise the limit too much to where your device gets too hot. You risk damaging the chipset.

Last edited:

KHANrad_SIN

Jul 4, 2014
I know people have asked this multiple times but I'm seeing mixed answers. So in order for this mod to work I have to ENABLE msmthermal and DISABLE core control in the ElementalX app? What happens if I do the opposite and DISABLE msmthermal and ENABLE core control? What happens if I enable both?

Reactions: cabbieBot

armyav8tor

Jan 18, 2015
Loving this mod! The phone is much more snappy and have not noticed a huge battery drop.

Edit: another benefit of this mod is that it won't shut the big cores down when the phone is charging. This is important for me because it no longer shutdown the big cores when I'm connected to my car using Android Auto. As a result, most of the stuttering and lag is now out of the UI making AA much more enjoyable. I can imagine it will be the same if I connected my Mavic Pro controller to it, but I'm using my iPhone 7 Plus for that because the DJI Go 4 app is notoriously unreliable on Nougat. Overall, couldn't be more happy with this mod!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

psychomaniac82

Nov 5, 2010
Phone is definitely more snappy! One question, I see the temperature now peaking towards 80 degrees Celsius sometimes, before this mod it was Max 55 degrees. Think this is normal or do I have to change some settings in ex kernel app?

HesThatGuy

Feb 28, 2016
Phone is definitely more snappy! One question, I see the temperature now peaking towards 80 degrees Celsius sometimes, before this mod it was Max 55 degrees. Think this is normal or do I have to change some settings in ex kernel app?

This is normal. Temps are going to be higher on average because the big cores never turn off and they can stay at higher clock speeds before they start to throttle.

Reactions: psychomaniac82

psychomaniac82

Nov 5, 2010
This is normal. Temps are going to be higher on average because the big cores never turn off and they can stay at higher clock speeds before they start to throttle.

Thanks man! I it would be normal, but just to be sure. I don't understand why Google made the temperature throttle so aggressive. Phone doesn't become hotter on the outside with this mod. The CPU temperature also drops pretty fast when the CPU load and speed is dropping.

Super happy with this mod!

HesThatGuy

Feb 28, 2016
Thanks man! I it would be normal, but just to be sure. I don't understand why Google made the temperature throttle so aggressive. Phone doesn't become hotter on the outside with this mod. The CPU temperature also drops pretty fast when the CPU load and speed is dropping.

Super happy with this mod!

I can see why Google made the thermal throttling temps so low. No one likes to hold a phone that gets hot enough to be used as a personal hand warmer, still the 6P & 5X benefit greatly from having the throttling temps set even 5°C higher so Google should've set the max frequencies a little bit lower while raising the throttling temps a touch higher or followed Sony's implementation of the 810 and tossed a heat pipe in there.

Reactions: psychomaniac82

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing the CTTMod
    (cpu thermal throttling mod)
    Most popular mod for the G3 & G4 now here for the Nexus
    Remember always make a full nandroid backup before doing anything
    I Am Not Responsible For Anything You Do To Your Device.
    Please read entire op before asking questions

Rom & kernel developers please feel free to include in your work. Just please give proper credit thanks

Best used in conjunction with an over clocked kernel i.e. elemental x
    Working to improve performance eliminate lag along with lowering the core temps allowing your phone to continue to run smoothly after long or heavy periods of use.
    Thermal control works by throttling the CPU down to preset frequencies at preset temperatures and is also done in a preset # of steps. Thermals also monitor and play parts in controlling other components like the GPU, battery and a couple of other things.
    First let me be clear about one thing
    The CTTMod does not turn off thermal throttling. Now the trick of going into the hidden menu and turning thermal mitigation and thermal control on. That does turn off all thermal monitoring and control and I highly advise against ever doing it. You take a huge risk of frying your phone.

What I've done is changed the first frequency bump down of two in the little cluster and left the 2nd stock
    And in the big cluster I changed the first and second frequency bump downs of three and left the third stock
    I've also increased the temperature at which it resets by 5° in versions 4x
    For more info on how thermal works along with how the governor affects performance you can check out my op for the CTTMod for the G3 here

Instructions

1: Do a full nandroid back up
    2: Back up your thermal file which is in system/etc ( thermal-engine.conf )
    3: Flash mod and wipe cache
    4: Reboot
    5: In your kernel control app like kernel auditor set your thermal driver to msm thermal or temperature limit SoC temperture limit depending on what you kernel offers
    The idea in the above is to make the kernel use the system's stock thermal driver which is the one I modded
    I personally also check all cores on
    Finally enjoy
    One final note this mod and xceed kernel do not work together as xceed has built in it's own thermal control. If you would like to use this mod with xceed kernel you would have to ask the developer of xceed to make a compatible version. Sorry out of my hands.

Please hit the thanks Button and give it a 5 star rating :good:
    Downloads

AFH downloads:

CTTMod v-3.1

CTTMod-v4
    Change log: increased when the CPU resets after it has reached it's max temp, upped from 55°c to 60°c

CTTMod v-4.1
    Changelog: increased the frequency of the first bump down in the big cluster

CTTMod v-5
    Changelog: Increased the temperature by 2° at which the CPU and GPU bumps down there frequencies (Left the last bump 2 bump downs stock)

CTTMod v-5.1
    Changelog: increased the temps of the CPU and GPU first 2 bump downs. CPU now starts throttling at 48°c and GPU starts at 44°c

CTTMod V-6
    Changelog: increased 2nd GPU frequency step down and the goal of the experimental part is to lower overall temps

CTTMod- v6.1 revised
    Change log: Fixed smoothness and I also modified the thermal hot plugging
    Giving the option to use the stock thermal hot plug and still reap the rewards of this mod (please Google or an xda search on hot plug/ing if you don't know what it is before asking)

CTTMod 6.2: Improved performance

* 6- for MM *
    * 7+ for nougat only *

CTTMod-V-7 1 Nougat
    Updated for the final version on nougat (plus some added improvements)
    Fixed and reuploaded

CTTMod 7.2 Nougat
    Improved performance

CTTMod 8 over clocked nougat
    Increased both big and little clustered first bump down and the GPUs first bump down to increase performance on kernels that can be overclocked to at least 2ghz on the big cluster and 1.7 on the small cluster

CTTMod 8.1 over clocked nougat Increased first bump down on big and little clusters

CttMod-Oreo-stock kernel-v-1

CttMod-Oreo-over clocked kernel-v-1

Donations are welcome but not required
    At least please hit the thanks button to show your appreciation
    Thanks Rob
    Return to stock, pre-releases & governor settings

Return to stock-
    Stock thermal

CTTMod 7.1.1 test version

Original thermals taken from the latest build of nitrogen ROM with there kernel

Go here for my CPU interactive governor settings for the best balance for performance and battery
    I recommend elemental x kernel over clocked, I/o schedule to deadline and f sync off
    For anyone interested here are my governor settings
    First 2 are for the big cluster and the second 2 are little cluster
    Over 250 downloads and counting
    Thanks for your support