[MOD] Inverted Black Gmail - Update 2/9/11

Search This thread

fritzgerald

Mar 8, 2007
Bakersfield
I've gone through and inverted about 90 percent of the gmail app. The light stock app doesn't really flow with my theme. I've seen this asked for a few times around the forums so I thought I would share.

Copy to your internal SD card and flash with CWM Recovery.

Enjoy...

All your black on black HTML emails should be fixed now. If you're still seeing them let me know.

Download CWM flashable zip:
Dark Gmail
(updated black on black text fixed)

Dark Multi-Touch Keyboard

Screens:

gmail-1.png
gmail-2.png

gmail-3.png
gmail-4.png

gmail-5.png

Last edited:

insaneturbo13

Aug 4, 2010
this looks amazing! thank you so much! ive been waiting for this for a while now. i just have to wait for the cwm zip so i can flash on the go lol

Johnny Paranoid

Dec 29, 2010
Waterford, MI
I can't read any text in the body of an email. Presumably because it's black text on a black background. (Links show up as blue text)

I'm running Cognitionv2.3b8 with Darknesv2.5.1. I tried to get it back to the way it was by copying the Gmail.apk from the Cognition file into my system/app folder, but all that did was give me a force close every time I tried to open Gmail.

I'd rather have this work because it's awesome, but if I can't get the Black Gmail to work then how do I return it to it's previous state. (No, I didn't do a backup before installing. Yes, I know I should have)

Thanks in advance! :)

majinzen

Jul 25, 2010
I can't read any text in the body of an email. Presumably because it's black text on a black background. (Links show up as blue text)

I'm running Cognitionv2.3b8 with Darknesv2.5.1. I tried to get it back to the way it was by copying the Gmail.apk from the Cognition file into my system/app folder, but all that did was give me a force close every time I tried to open Gmail.

I'd rather have this work because it's awesome, but if I can't get the Black Gmail to work then how do I return it to it's previous state. (No, I didn't do a backup before installing. Yes, I know I should have)

Uninstall with titanium back up and then download gmail from the market

fritzgerald

Mar 8, 2007
Bakersfield

Go into Titanium Backup and click on "Backup/Restore" at the top. Browse down to Gmail and click on it. Choose "Wipe data" then "Un-install !" and click "Yes". Reboot into ClockworkMOD Recovery and apply the zip. If you're still having issues repeat the steps to uninstall it, download Gmail from the market and I'll start looking into any issues. I re applied this mod about 100 times following these same steps and it works every time.

Archpope

Jun 26, 2006
OC, CA
Just tested it out on my Captivate with Cognition 2.3b8 (no themes). Everything is readable. It even reset a problem I was having with Gmail notifications. I also like the new icon. This is nice!

10tonhammr

Jul 25, 2010
Chicago
THIS is why I love Darkness Mod. It looks freaking amazing and you and Reefer keep going the extra mile to make it as comprehensive and detailed as possible.

Reactions: boast

Infiniti350GT

Sep 23, 2010
THIS is why I love Darkness Mod. It looks freaking amazing and you and Reefer keep going the extra mile to make it as comprehensive and detailed as possible.

I agree 100%...now if I can only get my BlackMarket to work again :( I've done everything. Clear data, clear cache, flash the theme over again, flash the icon tried the SGS tools market fix....I got nothing...same green icon & market now.

RockRatt

Aug 1, 2010
Looks way better than the stock gmail. Thanks for the flash fix. Maybe in your next version could the text be whiter? Not saying I don't love it, Just. Throwing it out there. I use the xda app and have it set to the black background and even in pretty bright sun the white lettering stands out real well is why I even mention it. Thanks again.

Sent from MY Perception 10.1 on XDA App

fritzgerald

Mar 8, 2007
Bakersfield
Looks way better than the stock gmail. Thanks for the flash fix. Maybe in your next version could the text be whiter? Not saying I don't love it, Just. Throwing it out there. I use the xda app and have it set to the black background and even in pretty bright sun the white lettering stands out real well is why I even mention it. Thanks again.

Sent from MY Perception 10.1 on XDA App

Sure thing. I'll make an all white version and add it to the OP tonight.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App

matt310

Jan 7, 2007
What a great idea! Thanks for doing this. I'll definitely try this out when the version w/white text is available!

diablo009

Apr 20, 2009
Atlanta GA
One small hitch: In some mails, am unable to see the text. Looks like the font colors needs to be updated somewhere in the apk file.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've gone through and inverted about 90 percent of the gmail app. The light stock app doesn't really flow with my theme. I've seen this asked for a few times around the forums so I thought I would share.

Copy to your internal SD card and flash with CWM Recovery.

Enjoy...

All your black on black HTML emails should be fixed now. If you're still seeing them let me know.

Download CWM flashable zip:
    Dark Gmail
    (updated black on black text fixed)

Dark Multi-Touch Keyboard

Screens:

gmail-1.png
    gmail-2.png

gmail-3.png
    gmail-4.png

gmail-5.png
    I'm currently working on another project but the new Gmail will be modded as soon as I'm done with my current project.
    Could anyone please post the black keyboard (in the screenshot above) too.

EDIT: Added to OP.
    Hello? Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA Premium App