[MOD] IsoRec: Isolated Recovery for the Galaxy S2 Family

Search This thread

the.gangster

Apr 3, 2015
@DaveX2012
Because this is totally off-topic here. Search and post in the CM12.1 forum instead! (I was already about to answere that when Lanchon did)
Once more: You will find everything there. Not in its OP but in the thread. For latest current unofficial link just read backwards a few post back from the end and for latest official snapshot backup links search for "cm-12.1-20160203-NIGHTLY-i9100.zip". And I agree, this is spoon feeding.
It's sad this needs to be explained to someone who already has a postcount of 1300+.

Reactions: Lanchon

McConnor

Mar 28, 2013
Because that Thread is easy to find If you care to search in the i9100 development Thread. You are demanding a busy Dev is doing the work for you...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Reactions: Lanchon

themacmaniac

Oct 5, 2016
Flashing TWRP3 no adb-connection?

Hi there

I've got a problem with a Samsung Galaxy S2 I got from a friend. It's from january 25 2013, so I suppose it comes with android ICS. I already was searching the forums and hope this is the right place to put my question as I ended up with this thread.

I tried to flash the TWRP-Recovery twrp-3.0.2-1-i9100.img as described at CyanogenMod-Website with Heimdall on Linux. Ever since, the GT-I9100 won't boot, but stucks at the yellow triangle. It won't boot into recovery mode neither.

I then found out about isoRec, and that CyanogenMod 12.1 Kernel is isoRec-compatible as well as TWRP3 in this thread here.
So I tried out flashing TWRP with adb to /dev/block/mmcblk0p6. But adb-connection is not working, and I can't enable usb-debugging as the phone won't boot into Android.

I already flashed Samsung S1 and S5, but now with S2 I'm completely stuck. Anyone got an idea what I have to do? Maybe just push me into the right direction.

I really appreciate any help.

franticfreddy

Jan 7, 2016
Hi there

I've got a problem with a Samsung Galaxy S2 I got from a friend. It's from january 25 2013, so I suppose it comes with android ICS. I already was searching the forums and hope this is the right place to put my question as I ended up with this thread.

I tried to flash the TWRP-Recovery twrp-3.0.2-1-i9100.img as described at CyanogenMod-Website with Heimdall on Linux. Ever since, the GT-I9100 won't boot, but stucks at the yellow triangle. It won't boot into recovery mode neither.

I then found out about isoRec, and that CyanogenMod 12.1 Kernel is isoRec-compatible as well as TWRP3 in this thread here.
So I tried out flashing TWRP with adb to /dev/block/mmcblk0p6. But adb-connection is not working, and I can't enable usb-debugging as the phone won't boot into Android.

I already flashed Samsung S1 and S5, but now with S2 I'm completely stuck. Anyone got an idea what I have to do? Maybe just push me into the right direction.

I really appreciate any help.

Hello, in short words:
1) check if you can get your s2 into download mode odin (volumedown+home+power)
2. if yes then use *windows* pc system with odin programm to flash latest stock rom
3. if stock rom flash is working and your s2 is back to life then read this forum about
repit the device (*important*) before doing anything else (or wrong maybe).
4. if you did repit your device you could install cm kernel and then additionally the iso-rec
twrp version
5. when succeed then you can enter the isorec twrp and install your cm of your choice..

Edit: I really highly recommend *not to use Heimdall* in any version for Linux or Windows. Especially for novice users.
It can really badly screw up your phone when you did anything wrong with it.
Always use a good windows pc system with its recent (samsung&adb-)drivers.

Last edited:
Reactions: themacmaniac

themacmaniac

Oct 5, 2016
Flashing kernel?

Hello, in short words:
1) check if you can get your s2 into download mode odin (volumedown+home+power)
2. if yes then use *windows* pc system with odin programm to flash latest stock rom
3. if stock rom flash is working and your s2 is back to life then read this forum about
repit the device (*important*) before doing anything else (or wrong maybe).
4. if you did repit your device you could install cm kernel and then additionally the iso-rec
twrp version
5. when succeed then you can enter the isorec twrp and install your cm of your choice..

Edit: I really highly recommend *not to use Heimdall* in any version for Linux or Windows. Especially for novice users.
It can really badly screw up your phone when you did anything wrong with it.
Always use a good windows pc system with its recent (samsung&adb-)drivers.

First thanks for your quick answer. I was able to install stock firmware with Odin and bring the phone back to work - even though I was unable to find a good windows system ;) Found out the phone runs Jelly Bean btw.
Concerning the next steps, I need some clarification:
I actually didn't find an isolated CM 12.1 kernel, but will try Lanchon's kernel version kernel-Lanchon-TRIM-IsoRec-20160112-cm-11-i9100.zip (from androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=47607).
But first I will have to repit, as I understood it's "just" repartitioning the device (as partition-sizes are not optimal). The repit-thread in the forum is dead, but one can find information on github (github.com/Lanchon/REPIT). What I don't understand: you tell me to repit, but on github it says that it will work with TWRP only!
So do you suggest installing the mentioned kernel, then TWRP and repit afterwards (if needed at all as I won't try out CM 13)?
Do I just put the Zip-File of the kernel in the PDA-section in Odin to install the kernel?

I rather ask again than maybe hardbrick the phone :eek:

Sorry for the URLs in text, I'm not allowed to link them.

TriboDoP

Oct 25, 2015
Vienna
i9100
OnePlus One
Hi @ themacmaniac
Do you want to stay on stock jelly bean? Then you could root the phone by flashing philz cwm6 recovery zip using your stock recovery.
For updating to other customrom like cm11 you have to flash kk compatible recovery first.
For cm 13 do repartitioning first.
You can do it with odin aswell: flash pitfile 1gb system_4gb together with gustavo kernel (format in revovery!!). Then clean install in recovery cm 13 zip + gapps zipp + twrp3.zip in one go.
For repartitioning look noob friendly guide " how to increase system partition" and for updating noob friendly guide " want to update to cm 13 ..." both by @gsstudios

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA-Developers mobile app

themacmaniac

Oct 5, 2016
Hi TriboDoP

Thanks for your answer.
I actually intended to flash a custom rom (CM12.1) as I did before with the galaxy S and S5.
Now I'm stuck with the isoRec-issue.
I plan to continue like this:
  1. Flash the Lanchon-kernel kernel-Lanchon-TRIM-IsoRec-20160112-cm-11-i9100.zip (from androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=47607) with Odin. As I experienced, flashing a custom recovery such as TWRP won't work as the S2 won't boot the recovery partition.
  2. Flash the recovery
  3. Flash custom ROM.
What do you think, will this procedure be successful?
Or would flashing TWRP3 with Odin instead of Heimdall already be enough to solve the problem with the vestigial recovery partition?
Edit: Forgot to ask this: as the downloaded kernel is not a tar-file I could install it with the stock recovery? Read this here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1760517

Last edited:

TriboDoP

Oct 25, 2015
Vienna
i9100
OnePlus One
Hi @themacmaniac
Just to be sure: you are on stock jb and your device is rooted and on a custom-recovery? Only then you can continue to flash custom-roms.
And there is no need to flash isorec-kernel because all latest roms lp and mm (even some kk) have isorec-kernel. Just flash cm 12.1 + gapps + twrp 3....
One important thing: as lp and mm are large it is highly recommended to increase the space for it (increase system and data partition). Without you can install lp with smallest gapp-package and cm 13 with gapps cannot be installed at all and you get stuck on error.
Really think about it and let me know if you need help.

Sent from my STAIRWAY using XDA-Developers mobile app

Lanchon

Jun 19, 2011
Hi TriboDoP

Thanks for your answer.
I actually intended to flash a custom rom (CM12.1) as I did before with the galaxy S and S5.
Now I'm stuck with the isoRec-issue.
I plan to continue like this:
  1. Flash the Lanchon-kernel kernel-Lanchon-TRIM-IsoRec-20160112-cm-11-i9100.zip (from androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=47607) with Odin. As I experienced, flashing a custom recovery such as TWRP won't work as the S2 won't boot the recovery partition.
  2. Flash the recovery
  3. Flash custom ROM.
What do you think, will this procedure be successful?
Or would flashing TWRP3 with Odin instead of Heimdall already be enough to solve the problem with the vestigial recovery partition?
Edit: Forgot to ask this: as the downloaded kernel is not a tar-file I could install it with the stock recovery? Read this here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1760517

- (preload the following needed 3 files on the phone)
- flash isorec TWRP 2:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24369303960684130
- flash my CM 13 kernel:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24459283995313934
- reboot recovery, now you should be in TWRP 2
- use twrps "install image" button to install latest official twrp 3
- reboot recovery, now you should be on twrp 3

- now you can use MTP via USB to load files on the phone.

- use my latest REPIT to change to 1G system and 6G data, wiping all partition you don't need to keep with repit.

- download and flash any rom (i think cm13 is running fine)
- you may want to flash the modem, i attached one here.

Attachments

• modem-i9100-XXMS4.zip
    4.6 MB · Views: 132

the.gangster

Apr 3, 2015
Is there a video how to install Recovery Isolated
I haven't come across any such video so far.....Just follow the OP and you'll be getting it without any troubles...
Is there a video on how to read an opening post and how to follow three steps?
Or maybe three videos?
- one showing how to download the recovery
- one to show how to switch to adb root
- one showing someone typing the adb push commandline

;)

Reactions: ssanjy

octaviojss

Jul 26, 2012
Hi, i followed the steps carefully either for heimdall suite and for adb push command and none worked, the phone runs ok and it is still with cm13 recovery. I tried flashing isorec TWRP zip file via cm recovery, it flashed, but when i reboot the cm13 recovery is there. im out of words.

Lanchon

Jun 19, 2011
Hi, i followed the steps carefully either for heimdall suite and for adb push command and none worked, the phone runs ok and it is still with cm13 recovery. I tried flashing isorec TWRP zip file via cm recovery, it flashed, but when i reboot the cm13 recovery is there. im out of words.

jesus! and you want people to support you with that? what isorec TWRP zip file you flashed? via which recovery exactly and obtained where? what was the output? using what kernel? and what rom? on what device? etc etc

Reactions: Nick_Knight

davidvanwijk

Jan 5, 2015
Alkmaar
After flashing directly reboot into recovery.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk

themacmaniac

Oct 5, 2016
- (preload the following needed 3 files on the phone)
- flash isorec TWRP 2:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24369303960684130

Thank you for your help. Great you provided the links to all the necessary files, as for instance i didn't find a isorec-TWRP2-File.
Your approach actually seems clear to me - but I'm still stuck :-/
The TWRP2-File I downloaded from your link is a zip-File. So I can't flash it with Odin, right (the AP-section only allows some images and tar)? As I also don't have a custom recovery and no rooted phone, I am unable to do it over recovery neither.
Is there a way to convert the file from zip to tar? Or is a flashing the zip-file over heimdall possible (and to what partition)? How would you flash it?

TriboDoP

Oct 25, 2015
Vienna
i9100
OnePlus One
Thank you for your help. Great you provided the links to all the necessary files, as for instance i didn't find a isorec-TWRP2-File.
The TWRP2-File I downloaded from your link is a zip-File. So I can't flash it with Odin, right (the AP-section only allows some images and tar)? As I also don't have a custom recovery and no rooted phone, I am unable to do it over recovery neither.
Is there a way to convert the file from zip to tar? Or is a flashing the zip-file over heimdall possible (and to what partition)? How would you flash it?
Hi
First flash philz cwm 6 kernel/recovery (which has root) .tar - file .
Then you have root and a recovery which can flash .zip Files.

Sent from my STAIRWAY using XDA-Developers mobile app

Lanchon

Jun 19, 2011

isorec recovery CANNOT be flashed via odin. you need to have some working recovery before starting to flash isorec TWRP 3.

themacmaniac

Oct 5, 2016
Hi
First flash philz cwm 6 kernel/recovery (which has root) .tar - file .
Then you have root and a recovery which can flash .zip Files.

isorec recovery CANNOT be flashed via odin. you need to have some working recovery before starting to flash isorec TWRP 3.

hi guys

I still don't get it...I thought because of the vestigial recovery partition it is not possible to have a custom recovery (as mentioned in the first post of this thread)?
Anyway, I tried to install philz_touch_6.48.4-i9100.tar.md5 via Odin3 v3.12.3. Firewall was down, Kies as well, I tried different cables and different USB-ports. The following error showed up every single time:

Code:
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/006> Added!!
<ID:0/006> Odin engine v(ID:3.1203)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/006> Initialzation..
<ID:0/006> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/006> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/006> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/006> recovery.img
<ID:0/006> FAIL!
<ID:0/006> 
<ID:0/006> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
I have no idea what the problem is here.

I tried with Rom Manager app too, but it didn't support S2.

How can I make a custom recovery work so that I can continue with the steps as Lanchon proposed?

I hope I'm not spamming too much, but it drives me crazy! Can't be that hard...
Appreciate your help and patience!

TriboDoP

Oct 25, 2015
Vienna
i9100
OnePlus One
hi guys

I still don't get it...I thought because of the vestigial recovery partition it is not possible to have a custom recovery (as mentioned in the first post of this thread)?
Anyway, I tried to install philz_touch_6.48.4-i9100.tar.md5 via Odin3 v3.12.3. Firewall was down, Kies as well, I tried different cables and different USB-ports. The following error showed up every single time:

Code:
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/006> Added!!
<ID:0/006> Odin engine v(ID:3.1203)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/006> Initialzation..
<ID:0/006> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/006> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/006> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/006> recovery.img
<ID:0/006> FAIL!
<ID:0/006> 
<ID:0/006> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
I have no idea what the problem is here.

I tried with Rom Manager app too, but it didn't support S2.

How can I make a custom recovery work so that I can continue with the steps as Lanchon proposed?

I hope I'm not spamming too much, but it drives me crazy! Can't be that hard...
Appreciate your help and patience!

hi
as i mentioned some posts before you need root and a custom-recovery to continue.
if you do not know how to do maybe you should search for this in the forum.
an easy and safe way is to flash philz-cwm 6 which can be flashed with odin as .tar-file or in stock-recovery as signed.zip-file.
you have to choose the recovery-version according to your build-number.
you can find all the information in the thread by phil3759 "PhilZ-cwm6 i9100 stock kernel ..........."

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IsoRec: Isolated Recovery for the Exynos 4210 / Galaxy S2 Family

UPDATE: This change has been merged into official CyanogenMod 11, 12.1 and 13 !!!
    UPDATE: Official IsoRec TWRP 3 for i9100 is now available !!!
    UPDATE: You can now use official i9100 TWRP on d710, i777 and n7000 !!!
    UPDATE: Unofficial CM13 for i9100g by adxamg now supports IsoRec !!!

What is this about?

For too long the owners of Exynos 4210 family devices have been forced to use whatever recovery was chosen by their ROM or kernel provider of choice. These devices have a dedicated recovery partition that is apparently vestigial, and their bootloaders are seemingly unable to boot it. For this reason, the recovery ramdrive is typically bundled together with the kernel and the Android boot ramdisk in a monolithic binary, usually referred to as simply "the kernel" (both ramdrives share a single embedded kernel image).

This means that using your choice of recovery is a practical impossibility:
    • To change the recovery you must also replace the kernel and the Android boot ramdrive, possibly introducing issues with your ROM.
    • If you update your kernel or kernel-bundling ROM, you will loose your custom recovery if you had one.
    • If the kernel bundled with your choice of custom recovery does not boot, your Android will probably not boot either, and you will need a PC to debrick.

This already bad situation was exacerbated with CM 12.1, which includes a severely restricted recovery in official releases, to the point that some official maintainers have had to release semi-official kernels with alternate recoveries just to keep the XDA crowd from lynching them and ripping their limbs off.

What is IsoRec?

IsoRec (Isolated Recovery) is a very simple proposal aiming to solve this problem once and for all. ROM and kernel maintainers can keep on bundling their preferred default recovery, and users gain the freedom to override. Your kernel maintainer has to merge the IsoRec patch (or implement their own compatible solution) for you to be able to use an isolated recovery.

Kernel maintainers are kindly asked to respect their users' freedom by merging this simple patch. Your rate of adoption will make or break this initiative.

How does it work?

It is extremely simple. The IsoRec-patched boot sequence is as follows:
    • The bootloader loads the kernel and the unified ramdrive, then fires up the kernel.
    • The kernel starts and then invokes the unified ramdrive.
    • If booting Android, the unified ramdrive replaces itself with the nested Android boot ramdrive and invokes it.
    • Else if booting recovery, the IsoRec-patched unified ramdrive chooses the recovery ramdrive as follows:
      • if the raw recovery partition (/dev/block/mmcblk0p6) contains valid lzop-compressed data
      • and said data is a valid cpio archive
      • then use that cpio archive as the recovery ramdrive;
      • else use the default recovery ramdrive that comes nested within the unified ramdrive.
    • Finally the unified ramdrive replaces itself with the chosen recovery ramdrive and invokes it.

Where can I find the IsoRec patches?
    These links are of interest only to kernel maintainers:
    CyanogenMod patch: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andr...mmit/9bfbaf337207359ef6aefe0a329a3b760054a6b7
    Dorimanx patch: https://github.com/Lanchon/IsoRec-D...mmit/fe2288665fca2eb33426b71086fc7282ee687e68

Where can I find some IsoRec-compatible kernels?
    In the future, hopefully everywhere. For now you can use my CM 11/12.1/13 TRIM-IsoRec kernels:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=47607
    UPDATE: Official CyanogenMod 12.1 and 13 kernels are now IsoRec-compatible !!! (link)
    UPDATE: Unofficial Dorimanx builds by gsstudios are now IsoRec-compatible !!! (link)

Where can I find some IsoRec-compatible recoveries?
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=47550
    (The "disabler" files just clobber the contents of the isolated recovery partition so that the default recovery bundled with the kernel boots instead.)
    UPDATE: Unofficial IsoRec TWRP 3 for i9100 by arnab has been released !!!
    UPDATE: arnab and Dees_Troy teemed up to give us official TWRP 3 !!!
    NOTE: TWRP 3 incompatibilities with CM 12.1 kernels have been fixed as of TWRP 3.0.2.0.

Note: I did not build any of the TWRP recoveries myself, I just bundled images shared by other developers. Big thank you to @arnab, @cyril279 and @dimoochka for the TWRP images! Recovery developers are welcome to reuse my flashing zips, just please remove my name from the filename AND the flashing script. Use lzo -9 compression and remember to sign your zips!

TWRP 3 for n7000, i777 and d710

You can use official i9100 TWRP on d710, i777 and n7000 with TWRP Patcher.

Installing TWRP 3 the Easy Way

There are many ways to skin a lolcat. You can easily flash a TWRP .img file (or any IsoRec recovery .img file) on the Exynos 4210 S2 family via adb from your PC. (Prerequisite: working adb connection and tools.) Try it out:

1. Download the 'twrp-X.X.X.X-i9100.img' file.
    2. Switch to adb root by typing this in your PC:
      adb root
      (Requires root on your phone. In CM, enable adb root in developer settings.)

3. Flash the recovery by typing this in your PC:
      adb push twrp-X.X.X-X-i9100.img /dev/block/mmcblk0p6

WARNING: DO NOT MISTYPE ANYTHING !!!
    If you do, you can HARD-BRICK your phone FOREVER. Better copy/paste to be sure.
    WARNING: DO NOT TRY THIS IN ANY DEVICE EXCEPT EXYNOS 4210 S2 PHONES !!!
    If you do, you can HARD-BRICK your device FOREVER. The 4210 devices are: i9100, n7000, i777, d710 and sc02c.

XDA:DevDB Information
    IsoRec, Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy S II

Contributors
    Lanchon

Version Information

Created 2016-01-12
    Last Updated 2016-06-22
    Il release TWRP 3.0.0 soon.
    cool! lol yes extremely simple :) and yes, it's working fine on devices affected by the change, i9100 and i777, both tested.

the change would also affect n7000 and d710, but only theoretically as those devices dont have cm12.1 branches. yet it should work fine on those devices too, they identical in this regard.

btw, i made cm11 isorec kernels for n7000 and d710 but received no feedback. i also made a cm11 kernel for i9100 and tested: isorec works fine on cm11 too.
    Sir, your implementation is now on CM kernel, I hope nothing breaks :silly:
    I had a internal stotage bug.. I just fixed it for du as well as for i9100g cm13. Without that fixing first i cudnt get a lastksmg as mtp didnt work.. Plz have patience. Iam wotking on twrp now.
    Somewhere on this thread @arnab confirmed that twrp 3 is coming to IsoRec. Be patient

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TWRP 3.0 as of now doesnt work. Ethen yonker asked a kmsg log from me.