[MOD][KK/LP/MM/N] MultiROM v33x for Xperia Z1

Search This thread

drakonizer

Retired Forum Moderator
http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fvh3puLb.png

MultiROM is a one-of-a-kind multi-boot mod. It can boot any Android ROM as well as other systems like Ubuntu Touch, once they are ported to that device. Besides booting from device's internal memory, MultiROM can boot from USB drive connected to the device via OTG cable. The main part of MultiROM is a boot manager, which appears every time your device starts and lets you choose ROM to boot. You can see how it looks on the left image below and in gallery. ROMs are installed and managed via modified TWRP recovery. You can use standard ZIP files to install secondary Android ROMs and MultiROM even has its own installer system, which can be used to ship other Linux-based systems.

Features:
* Multiboot any number of Android ROMs
* Restore nandroid backup as secondary ROM
* Boot from USB drive attached via OTG cable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDnDNxqfSaw

WARNING
It is dangerous. This whole thing is basically one giant hack - none of these systems are made with multibooting in mind. It is no longer messing with data partition or boot sector, but it is possible that something goes wrong and you will have to flash factory images again. Make backups. Always.

IMPORTANT
1. I'm not responsible for anything, you do all this on your own risk.
2. Once you have flashed and set up MultiROM, don't flash another boot.img using fastboot.
3. If you want to uninstall MultiROM, just flash the MultiROM uninstaller.
4. I am not certainly sure about the compatibility with stock Roms, I still need to test this yet.
5. Your device must not be encrypted.

When booting another ROM, you'll notice that in some cases, you can enter the recovery of the boot.img of the ROM. Please don't use it, flash everything using MultiROM TWRP.

INSTALLATION

-> Download and flash the MultiROM recovery from the DOWNLOADs section using "fastboot flash recovery <path-to-recovery.img>
-> Use the recovery to flash the latest multirom zip from the DOWNLOADs section.
-> In order to boot a secondary rom you MUST enable the "kexec workaround" option (enabled by default) in the MultiRom settings found in the recovery: BEWARE that this workaround re-flashes the boot-partition every time you boot a secondary rom, so don't boot secondary roms too often, as it may brick your device on the long term! We still need to fix kexec such that exessive utilization is less risky
That's it. You can now go to "MultiROM menu" (Top right corner in the recovery) to start flashing other ROMs.

NOTE: The touch screen doesn't work if you use a MM/N ROM as a base/primary ROM.

ALTERNATIVE INSTALLATION METHOD

-> Download the latest TWRP multirom recovery from the downloads section.
-> Use a terminal emulator, obtain su, and use the following command Adjust the following command and enter it in the shell: "dd if=/sdcard/<name-of-recovery>.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/FOTAKernel"
-> Follow the steps in the previous method to install multirom

ADDING ROMs

Go to recovery, select "MultiROM menu" (Top right corner in the recovery) -> Add ROM. Select the ROM's zip file and confirm.

USING USB DRIVES

During installation, recovery lets you select install location. Plug in the USB drive, wait a while and press "refresh" so that it shows partitions on the USB drive. You just select the location (extX, NTFS and FAT32 partitions are supported) and proceed with the installation.
If you wanna use other than default FAT32 partition, just format it in PC. If you don't know how/don't know where to find out how, you probably should not try installing MultiROM.
If you are installing to NTFS or FAT32 partition, recovery asks you to set image size for all the partitions - this cannot be easilly changed afterward, so choose carefully. FAT32 is limited to maximum of 4095MB per image - it is limitation of the filesystem, I can do nothing about that.
Installation to USB drives takes a bit longer, because the flash drive is (usually) slower and it needs to create the images, so installation of Ubuntu to 4Gb image on my pretty fast USB drive takes about 20 minutes.
Enumerating USB drive can take a while in MultiROM menu, so when you press the "USB" button in MultiROM, wait a while (max. 30-45s) until it searches the USB drive. It does it by itself, no need to press something, just wait.

UPDATING/CHANGING ROMs

1. Primary ROM (Internal)
-> Flash ROM's ZIP file as usual, do factory reset if needed (it won't erase secondary ROMs)
-> Go to "MultiROM menu" (Top right corner in the recovery) in recovery and do Inject curr. boot sector. if it is not done directly during installation of the Rom.

2. Secondary Android ROMs
If you want to change the ROM, delete it and add new one. To update ROM, follow these steps:
-> Go to "MultiROM menu" (Top right corner in the recovery) -> List ROMs and select the ROM you want to update.
-> Select "Flash ZIP" and flash ROM's ZIP file.

SOURCEs

Multirom: https://github.com/XperiaMultiROM/multirom/
TWRP: https://github.com/XperiaMultiROM/android_bootable_recovery

CREDITS
Tasssadar
Olivier
Garcia98
Thunder07
skin1980
Envious_Data
[NUT]
AndroPlus
Panic Brothers
Myself5
Diewi

XDA:DevDB Information
MultiROM v33x for Xperia Z1, ROM for the Sony Xperia Z1

Contributors
drakonizer
ROM OS Version: 2.3.x Gingerbread

Version Information

Created 2016-10-22
Last Updated 2016-11-02

benplay64

Feb 22, 2015
Hey @drakonizer i tried to flash the recovery bit I'm facing a black screen after rebooting in recovery. I'm on cm12.1 with m5kernel 11.2. I probably did something wrong but what?... I only flashed the recovery

drakonizer

Retired Forum Moderator
Hey @drakonizer i tried to flash the recovery bit I'm facing a black screen after rebooting in recovery. I'm on cm12.1 with m5kernel 11.2. I probably did something wrong but what?... I only flashed the recovery

You should have flashed the TA update to enable booting directly to recovery. If not, the recovery won't work. Booting into recovery only works using the hardware button combo, and not from Android/adb.

Will 4.4 as primary work

It should, but I haven't tried.

drakonizer

Retired Forum Moderator
Updated recovery and multirom zip added with support for Android Nougat and custom stock kernels. Please try and report.
Also, OP has been updated. Looks like Multirom is pretty stable for daily use now. I personally tried it with N as primary and LP as secondary and it worked like a charm.

If users of amami/togari want me to port it for their devices, please PM me so that I can send you test builds. Once I deem them to be stable, I will open threads for them.

Reactions: [Fenix]

LinkRaf

Oct 18, 2016
Updated recovery and multirom zip added with support for Android Nougat and custom stock kernels. Please try and report.
Also, OP has been updated. Looks like Multirom is pretty stable for daily use now. I personally tried it with N as primary and LP as secondary and it worked like a charm.

If users of amami/togari want me to port it for their devices, please PM me so that I can send you test builds. Once I deem them to be stable, I will open threads for them.

Friend, i am a little lost, but i need to do that. I need 5.1 for daily use and 6.0 for tests

I am feeling lost because i know how to use twrp to backup, restore, flash zips.... the basic. I am right now using 6.0 Ressurrection Marshmallow rom, with RRemix@Ubuntu 16.04#1 kernel.

I read but i am from brazil and my english isnt the best ones, thats why i am lost. My idea, is, use as primary the 5.1 rom to daily use... but i am lost HOW to start, what kernel should i use...

Please, can you help?

drakonizer

Retired Forum Moderator
Friend, i am a little lost, but i need to do that. I need 5.1 for daily use and 6.0 for tests

I am feeling lost because i know how to use twrp to backup, restore, flash zips.... the basic. I am right now using 6.0 Ressurrection Marshmallow rom, with RRemix@Ubuntu 16.04#1 kernel.

I read but i am from brazil and my english isnt the best ones, thats why i am lost. My idea, is, use as primary the 5.1 rom to daily use... but i am lost HOW to start, what kernel should i use...

Please, can you help?

Okay, I will describe it in detail once more, and hopefully this will be the last time.
-> You can have any ROM as primary, but 5.1 is preferred if you want touch screen support in the multirom menu (the OS choice menu).
-> Flash the latest TA update that enables the recovery partition. The thread is available in the general section.
-> Download the latest multirom recovery from the downloads section
-> Download the latest multirom zip
-> Flash the recovery using fastboot (fastboot flash recovery recovery.img)
-> Boot into recovery using POW+VOL DOWN and use it to flash the multirom zip you downloaded earlier.
-> Enter the multirom menu by tapping the icon on the top right corner of the recovery home screen.
-> Follow the menu to install your secondary ROM.
-> Once that's done, reboot, and you should see the multirom menu pop up

If you still didn't understand, there are multiple guides and videos on the internet. The process is pretty much similar for all devices, so you don't have to look for Xperia Z1 exactly.

LinkRaf

Oct 18, 2016
Okay, I will describe it in detail once more, and hopefully this will be the last time.
-> You can have any ROM as primary, but 5.1 is preferred if you want touch screen support in the multirom menu (the OS choice menu).
-> Flash the latest TA update that enables the recovery partition. The thread is available in the general section.
-> Download the latest multirom recovery from the downloads section
-> Download the latest multirom zip
-> Flash the recovery using fastboot (fastboot flash recovery recovery.img)
-> Boot into recovery using POW+VOL DOWN and use it to flash the multirom zip you downloaded earlier.
-> Enter the multirom menu by tapping the icon on the top right corner of the recovery home screen.
-> Follow the menu to install your secondary ROM.
-> Once that's done, reboot, and you should see the multirom menu pop up

If you still didn't understand, there are multiple guides and videos on the internet. The process is pretty much similar for all devices, so you don't have to look for Xperia Z1 exactly.

Thank you for your time! I appreciate it. Two last questions. There will be difference between primary or secundary boot? as performance?
and if i want just to install the second boot ( keep the ressurrection marshmallow as primary) it can be done too?

Thank you and sorry

drakonizer

Retired Forum Moderator
Thank you for your time! I appreciate it. Two last questions. There will be difference between primary or secundary boot? as performance?
and if i want just to install the second boot ( keep the ressurrection marshmallow as primary) it can be done too?

Thank you and sorry

The only difference would be boot time.
Yes, you can use MM as primary, but touch on the multirom menu will not work and you'll have to use the volume buttons and power button to move and select.

Sent from my Xperia Z1 using XDA Labs

LinkRaf

Oct 18, 2016
Friend, i am still on MM Rom, 6.0 with the same kernel, now i want to make the lollipop as my secundary boot

i flashed the twrp of multiboot via fastboot mode. I´ve turned on my z1 (power + volume down) (Could see the new twrp menu) In the INSTALL option, flashed the zip file of multiboot. After that ( i did not reboot my devce) on the addRom menu, installed a lollipop rom (that i know that works with the same kernel as my MM rom)

but it starts the install thing and get a status FAILED and erase an incomplete rom... something like this. .. and i cant install it.... i´ve tested two different lollipop rom... am i missing something?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fvh3puLb.png

MultiROM is a one-of-a-kind multi-boot mod. It can boot any Android ROM as well as other systems like Ubuntu Touch, once they are ported to that device. Besides booting from device's internal memory, MultiROM can boot from USB drive connected to the device via OTG cable. The main part of MultiROM is a boot manager, which appears every time your device starts and lets you choose ROM to boot. You can see how it looks on the left image below and in gallery. ROMs are installed and managed via modified TWRP recovery. You can use standard ZIP files to install secondary Android ROMs and MultiROM even has its own installer system, which can be used to ship other Linux-based systems.

Features:
    * Multiboot any number of Android ROMs
    * Restore nandroid backup as secondary ROM
    * Boot from USB drive attached via OTG cable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDnDNxqfSaw

WARNING
    It is dangerous. This whole thing is basically one giant hack - none of these systems are made with multibooting in mind. It is no longer messing with data partition or boot sector, but it is possible that something goes wrong and you will have to flash factory images again. Make backups. Always.

IMPORTANT
    1. I'm not responsible for anything, you do all this on your own risk.
    2. Once you have flashed and set up MultiROM, don't flash another boot.img using fastboot.
    3. If you want to uninstall MultiROM, just flash the MultiROM uninstaller.
    4. I am not certainly sure about the compatibility with stock Roms, I still need to test this yet.
    5. Your device must not be encrypted.

When booting another ROM, you'll notice that in some cases, you can enter the recovery of the boot.img of the ROM. Please don't use it, flash everything using MultiROM TWRP.

INSTALLATION

-> Download and flash the MultiROM recovery from the DOWNLOADs section using "fastboot flash recovery <path-to-recovery.img>
    -> Use the recovery to flash the latest multirom zip from the DOWNLOADs section.
    -> In order to boot a secondary rom you MUST enable the "kexec workaround" option (enabled by default) in the MultiRom settings found in the recovery: BEWARE that this workaround re-flashes the boot-partition every time you boot a secondary rom, so don't boot secondary roms too often, as it may brick your device on the long term! We still need to fix kexec such that exessive utilization is less risky
    That's it. You can now go to "MultiROM menu" (Top right corner in the recovery) to start flashing other ROMs.

NOTE: The touch screen doesn't work if you use a MM/N ROM as a base/primary ROM.

ALTERNATIVE INSTALLATION METHOD

-> Download the latest TWRP multirom recovery from the downloads section.
    -> Use a terminal emulator, obtain su, and use the following command Adjust the following command and enter it in the shell: "dd if=/sdcard/<name-of-recovery>.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/FOTAKernel"
    -> Follow the steps in the previous method to install multirom

ADDING ROMs

Go to recovery, select "MultiROM menu" (Top right corner in the recovery) -> Add ROM. Select the ROM's zip file and confirm.

USING USB DRIVES

During installation, recovery lets you select install location. Plug in the USB drive, wait a while and press "refresh" so that it shows partitions on the USB drive. You just select the location (extX, NTFS and FAT32 partitions are supported) and proceed with the installation.
    If you wanna use other than default FAT32 partition, just format it in PC. If you don't know how/don't know where to find out how, you probably should not try installing MultiROM.
    If you are installing to NTFS or FAT32 partition, recovery asks you to set image size for all the partitions - this cannot be easilly changed afterward, so choose carefully. FAT32 is limited to maximum of 4095MB per image - it is limitation of the filesystem, I can do nothing about that.
    Installation to USB drives takes a bit longer, because the flash drive is (usually) slower and it needs to create the images, so installation of Ubuntu to 4Gb image on my pretty fast USB drive takes about 20 minutes.
    Enumerating USB drive can take a while in MultiROM menu, so when you press the "USB" button in MultiROM, wait a while (max. 30-45s) until it searches the USB drive. It does it by itself, no need to press something, just wait.

UPDATING/CHANGING ROMs

1. Primary ROM (Internal)
    -> Flash ROM's ZIP file as usual, do factory reset if needed (it won't erase secondary ROMs)
    -> Go to "MultiROM menu" (Top right corner in the recovery) in recovery and do Inject curr. boot sector. if it is not done directly during installation of the Rom.

2. Secondary Android ROMs
    If you want to change the ROM, delete it and add new one. To update ROM, follow these steps:
    -> Go to "MultiROM menu" (Top right corner in the recovery) -> List ROMs and select the ROM you want to update.
    -> Select "Flash ZIP" and flash ROM's ZIP file.

SOURCEs

Multirom: https://github.com/XperiaMultiROM/multirom/
    TWRP: https://github.com/XperiaMultiROM/android_bootable_recovery

CREDITS
    Tasssadar
    Olivier
    Garcia98
    Thunder07
    skin1980
    Envious_Data
    [NUT]
    AndroPlus
    Panic Brothers
    Myself5
    Diewi

XDA:DevDB Information
    MultiROM v33x for Xperia Z1, ROM for the Sony Xperia Z1

Contributors
    drakonizer
    ROM OS Version: 2.3.x Gingerbread

Version Information

Created 2016-10-22
    Last Updated 2016-11-02
    So I have to flash stock ROM before?? If yes my device will wait before having multirom

You'll have to either flash latest stock completely out flash the TA update from the general section
    So I can only flag the TA update with flash tool over cm?!

Yes. It should work.

It should, no reason not to....why don't you try and tell me?
    :D iam sorry . But i faced problem when flashing twrp on adb its say "too large":rolleyes: