[MOD] LCD Density - Higher Resolution Screen

Search This thread

usrbrv8

Aug 21, 2009
Is any one having issues with google maps? I get a message low on memory traffic disabled.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

tornado9015

Oct 29, 2010
Set my lcd density to 200, looked great, adw with 5 rows looked awesome. Tried to play pocket empires, and it went very slow than crashed, reverted to stock and now pocket empires just loads black screen than crashes. Anybody have a fix for this?

dictionary

Dec 3, 2009
Set my lcd density to 200, looked great, adw with 5 rows looked awesome. Tried to play pocket empires, and it went very slow than crashed, reverted to stock and now pocket empires just loads black screen than crashes. Anybody have a fix for this?

This issue, on Nexus Ones, if I recall correctly, required a ROM reflash. Just deleting and reinstalling the apps didn't work either (it happens to some hardcoded apps)

RuncaProfundus

Jun 30, 2009
Miami
Used the ADb method to set it at 200. thanks for this bro. now I can finally get all my apps on the homescreens instead of keepin them in the app drawer.

gbarayah

Dec 2, 2009
California
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping that I am just making a silly mistake...

I am running CyanogenMod 6.1 and have been trying to use the steps described in the OP to change my LCD density. As I am not very experienced with ADB, I have attempted to do the phone-only method.

I have backed up the build.prop file to my SD Card. When I modify the Density using Text Edit, I am able to save to the copied file on the SD Card. However, when I attempt to copy this file back to the System Folder, it tells me that I cannot copy the file.

I then attempted to edit the build.prop file in the System Folder. I am able to successfuly open the file in TextEdit and change the value, but it will not allow me to save to the System Folder.

I am rooted and have S-OFF. What am I doing wrong? Anyone else having problems with this?

SN4K3B1T3

Aug 21, 2010
Vancouver
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping that I am just making a silly mistake...

I am running CyanogenMod 6.1 and have been trying to use the steps described in the OP to change my LCD density. As I am not very experienced with ADB, I have attempted to do the phone-only method.

I have backed up the build.prop file to my SD Card. When I modify the Density using Text Edit, I am able to save to the copied file on the SD Card. However, when I attempt to copy this file back to the System Folder, it tells me that I cannot copy the file.

I then attempted to edit the build.prop file in the System Folder. I am able to successfuly open the file in TextEdit and change the value, but it will not allow me to save to the System Folder.

I am rooted and have S-OFF. What am I doing wrong? Anyone else having problems with this?

I have the same problem with my dz...im still waiting for anyone to reply to my thread under the dz apps and themes section

Sent from my HTC DesireZed

ratchetrizzo

Jun 3, 2010
Newark, DE
You have to remount /system before you can copy the file back.
If you are using adb, do:
Adb remount

If you are using a terminal on the phone do this from a # prompt:
Mount -o remount,rw /system

You can then copy to /system

Sent from two solo cups and a really long string connected to the innerwebs

gbarayah

Dec 2, 2009
California
You have to remount /system before you can copy the file back.
If you are using adb, do:
Adb remount

If you are using a terminal on the phone do this from a # prompt:
Mount -o remount,rw /system

You can then copy to /system

Sent from two solo cups and a really long string connected to the innerwebs

Is that a zero or 'letter O' in the prompt?

dictionary

Dec 3, 2009
While I edit the build.prop sometimes too, why don't you just use LCD Density from Market? There is a free version, which does this in a graphical interface.

Reactions: gbarayah

davidemartindale

May 22, 2009
Austin, TX
Worked for me. Thanks for posting.

PS - you all made me feel like an old man. 190? 200? Couldn't read anything without straining lol, I had to pop up to 220 :p

MATOPETE

Sep 20, 2007
New Orleans
You have to mount the System Files as r/w, use Root Explorer
Navigate to the System Folder
Find Build.prop
Upper Right Hand Corner [Mount r/w]
Long Press build.prop
Find the LCD density Value
Save and exit

Root explorer will automatically save a copy of the old file as
Build.prop.bak

I have the same problem with my dz...im still waiting for anyone to reply to my thread under the dz apps and themes section

Sent from my HTC DesireZed

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can increase the density (sort of like changing monitor resolution) on your screen by simply changing the build.prop file. This gives you more viewing area on your screen. The build.prop file contains many user variables that are editable and one of them is the LCD Density. The lower the number, the higher the resolution. The default value is 240, but by simply changing it to 200, you can increase the resolution and see more emails in your email app, more app listings in the market, more room for widget alignment, crisper graphics, and much more!

UPDATE 03/25/2011: ADDED SCREENSHOTS! (finally)

PERMANENT ROOT SOLUTION:

now that we can do perm root, you can permanently change this by modifying your build.prop file located /system/build.prop. look for ro.sf.lcd_density and modify the number and save and reboot.

Recommended value is 200, though many users like 190. If you are unsure what you like, please try TEST MODE shown below!

Please be sure to download Spare Parts from the Market, and disable Compatibility Mode in the app. This will fix many, many apps from not displaying full-screen, however there are some apps that will not re-size.

This works really well if you pair it with something like Launcher Pro or ADW.Launcher, where you have control over rows/columns and resizing widgets.

Easiest Method -- Go to Market and download one of the LCD Density apps. Search "LCD Density."

Phone-Only Method:

You can use Root Explorer, or any text editor like notepad++ or text edit.

1. Open a File Manager and locate /system/build.prop
    2. Make sure "/system" is mounted as R/W (in Root Explorer, click the Mount R/W button at the top.)
    2A. MAKE A BACKUP!
    3. Open and Edit the file.
    4. Find ro.sf.lcd_density=240 and change it to desired value (recommend 200 or 190 for G2).
    5. Save the file.
    6. Exit and Reboot!

If you use a separate text editor, just copy the file to your SDCard, edit it there, and move it back and overwrite the original. I recommend backing up the original just-in-case. :)

ADB Method:

at the cmd prompt:

1. adb pull /system/build.prop
    2. Go to SDK / Tools folder and open build.prop in a text editor (recommend WORDPAD for Windows).
    3. Find ro.sf.lcd_density=240 and change it to desired value (recommend 200 or 190 for G2).
    4. Save & Exit
    5. go back to cmd prompt and type: adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
    6. type: adb push build.prop /system/
    7. exit and reboot phone!

[Test Mode]

If you just want to play around with the setting for test, you can do something similar to the temp-root method shown below.

Open Terminal Emulator from your phone or use adb shell from your computer:
    type: setprop qemu.sf.lcd_density 200 (or 190,etc)
    press enter.
    type: busybox killall system_server
    press enter.
    it will reboot quickly with your new display. Just reboot and it'll go back to stock. Once you find something you like, you can edit the real build.prop file. :)

---------------------------------

[original mod / pre-perm-root]

Below is for use with Visionary temp-root app.

This is basically taken from the LCD Density Changer app and applied to visionary.sh

You can increase the density (sort of like monitor resolution) on your screen by simply changing the build.prop file. Unfortunately, since we have temp-root only, it'll revert back. The LCD Density Changer - Free app lets you modify it without editing the build.prop and uses a hot boot to apply changes...

I wanted to automate it into startup with Visionary so here's what you can put into your visionary.sh file without even having the app:

Code:
    setprop qemu.sf.lcd_density XXX #change XXX to 200, 190, etc
    busybox killall system_server

Example Visionary.sh script is found on Post 51. This script also contains commands for Ad Block and Overclocking which can be found in separate threads on the forum.

I use "200" for the XXX density. Some people below mention 190 as their favorite number to use. 240 is the default!

note #1: killall command will do a hot reboot of your system.

note #2: you do not need to download the app to do this. you just need visionary app from Modaco/Paul O'Brien, which is on the market.

Here are some written instructions from V1R3Z on Page 3 of this thread if you do not know how to create and push visionary.sh to your device:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8962877&postcount=27

update 10/30:
    added mounting to read/write for /system and /data to the script for users who did not have it already in their script. also some people prefer using 190 as oppose to 200.

update 11/02:
    removed mounting for the /data folder as it is unneccessary. make sure you use a proper text editor and save in a format the phone can read. it's probably a better idea to make the script on the phone than in windows.

credit goes to appelflap and jdsemler who found these things.
    While I edit the build.prop sometimes too, why don't you just use LCD Density from Market? There is a free version, which does this in a graphical interface.
    http://jamespickens.me/cloud/snap20110218_224457.png

Any idea what is going on?

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

You have to download "Spare Parts" from the Market, and uncheck "Compatibility Mode". This fixes the size issue of most apps. Good luck ;)

Sent from the Heavens
    I am now but this was a long time ago and have changed roms altogether since then. the market is real funny/finiky sometimes and I believe there is something apon start up that checks things like do you have internet and what device you have and then is stored to your account, if you go to the playstore from pc it should show the devices linked to your account. sometimes when I change roms it thinks I have a completley diferent phone, my guess is it thinks you have a different device right now. try restoring a recent nandroid if you have one or try flashing gapps without a wipe over current setup

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium