[MOD] LucidREM SCRIPT - [ROM] TheOfficial DRC* - [HOWTO] App2SD [2010-06-11]

Binary100100

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 6, 2008
Detroit, Mi
not sure why but it didn't work for me. thanks anyway. maybe i did something wrong... not sure how since this is supposed to be newb proof. but then again i had a pain in the butt time doing it manually as well the first time with rc30. i think it has something to do with my ext2 partition. anyway when i tried cpcache.sh i received an error saying that it couldn't find the file or something of that sort. so then i tried cp cache.sh thinking that there should be a space and i didn't understand any of what I saw. so i just downloaded the standard RC33 1.42 and used the old fashioned way (mountd.conf and init.rc to sd root) and I was surprised that all 100 or so of my apps came back without a problem. The flashing android was on my screen for about 2 to 3 minutes (started to get worried) but it all worked out.

mrgzg1

Feb 9, 2009
Chicago
hey ........ good work but can you mod jf 1.43 ...... jf seems to update every sec cant he make an app to painlessly update over wifi for convinence but newayz he does a good work and you too so that i can instal as many apps as i can and biger cache tooo

pls mod jf1.43

LucidREM

Jan 18, 2009
Baltimore
www.lucidrem.us
ok it works now.......after i did a wipe then moved the app app-private directories...it works fine.....should i do the cpcache.sh??
the cpcache.sh script i wrote is like moving /data/data/ only it's not the whole folder .. it takes the data from those large cache apps like browser and moves it to the EXT2 .. in the future i am going to make an undo script as well so there will be no question of how to put things back

here's an example of the script output:

CP /data/data/com.android.browser TO /system/sd/data/com.android.browser DONE!

LucidREM

Jan 18, 2009
Baltimore
www.lucidrem.us
hey ........ good work but can you mod jf 1.43 ...... jf seems to update every sec cant he make an app to painlessly update over wifi for convinence but newayz he does a good work and you too so that i can instal as many apps as i can and biger cache tooo

pls mod jf1.43
JFv1.43 is ADP1.1 .. my modification right now is for RC33 which is only JFv1.42

i am looking at the ADP1.1 .. just haven't gotten to that yet

LucidREM

Jan 18, 2009
Baltimore
www.lucidrem.us
not sure why but it didn't work for me. thanks anyway. maybe i did something wrong... not sure how since this is supposed to be newb proof. but then again i had a pain in the butt time doing it manually as well the first time with rc30. i think it has something to do with my ext2 partition. anyway when i tried cpcache.sh i received an error saying that it couldn't find the file or something of that sort. so then i tried cp cache.sh thinking that there should be a space and i didn't understand any of what I saw. so i just downloaded the standard RC33 1.42 and used the old fashioned way (mountd.conf and init.rc to sd root) and I was surprised that all 100 or so of my apps came back without a problem. The flashing android was on my screen for about 2 to 3 minutes (started to get worried) but it all worked out.
the error about couldn't find file sounds like the "ln -s" was already done .. if you run cpcache.sh a second time it doesn't work right because the linking is there so there are no files to copy .. i'm attempting to change the script to test for "ln -s" so it doesn't try to copy twice

Razor1973

Jun 23, 2006
Florida
LucidREM, thank you so much for taking the time to build this for us who have their apps installed on SD and don't want to go through the trouble of recreating the environment for every JF release.

Will you be making a 1.43 version as well?

TIA!

Razor1973

Jun 23, 2006
Florida
Shoot! I think I screwed things up. I download the "JFv1.42_RC33_MOD.zip" file linked in your first post and applied it to my RC33. As soon as the phone rebooted, I ran your cpcache.sh script and it did its thing. Reboot again. Now, half of my applications don't open. :(

Maps, Email, Market, Pictures, Browser work.

Gmail doesn't, many others don't and I have no contacts!

Last edited:

LucidREM

Jan 18, 2009
Baltimore
www.lucidrem.us
Shoot! I think I screwed things up. I download the "JFv1.42_RC33_MOD.zip" file linked in your first post and applied it to my RC33. As soon as the phone rebooted, I ran your cpcache.sh script and it did its thing. Reboot again. Now, half of my applications don't open. :(

Maps, Email, Market, Pictures, Browser work.

Gmail doesn't, many others don't and I have no contacts!
ok .. did you already have /data/data -> /system/sd/data???

i haven't scripted the undo yet

Razor1973

Jun 23, 2006
Florida
ok .. did you already have /data/data -> /system/sd/data???
I am guessing that's a yes. My applications were already on the SD card. I thought that's what this thread was for: upgrading to the latest JF package and keeping the apps intact on the SD card, i.e. not having to repeat the process of moving them every time I upgrade.

i haven't scripted the undo yet
:( <--- freaking out

robpet2

Sep 6, 2006
Virginia
www.myspace.com
since my last post in this this thread i caught the flu so im playing catch up...
heres my dumb questions of the day ( probably due to me fighting the flu ).
so this does the apps to the sdcard for us automatically ?
apps that are downloaded from the market go to the sdcard automatically ?
and is 500mb a good size for the partition for apps? i got a ton of music on my 8 gig card.

LucidREM

Jan 18, 2009
Baltimore
www.lucidrem.us
I am guessing that's a yes. My applications were already on the SD card. I thought that's what this thread was for: upgrading to the latest JF package and keeping the apps intact on the SD card, i.e. not having to repeat the process of moving them every time I upgrade.

:( <--- freaking out
yes .. the update.zip i made keeps the apps on the SD running .. however, the cpcache.sh is not intended for use if you already have /data/data moved over to the EXT2 .. sorry if i didn't state that more clearly .. i'm writing in more IF tests to eliminate the confusion

Razor1973

Jun 23, 2006
Florida
yes .. the update.zip i made keeps the apps on the SD running .. however, the cpcache.sh is not intended for use if you already have /data/data moved over to the EXT2 .. sorry if i didn't state that more clearly .. i'm writing in more IF tests to eliminate the confusion
Eeck! What do you suggest I do at this point? Please don't tell me I need to do a wipe. I have over 80 apps installed. :( Please!

Also, would you please update the original post so that other people don't go through the same trouble as me? Thanks a lot.

LucidREM

Jan 18, 2009
Baltimore
www.lucidrem.us
since my last post in this this thread i caught the flu so im playing catch up...
heres my dumb questions of the day ( probably due to me fighting the flu ).
so this does the apps to the sdcard for us automatically ?
apps that are downloaded from the market go to the sdcard automatically ?
and is 500mb a good size for the partition for apps? i got a ton of music on my 8 gig card.
what this does is once you have the FAT32 / EXT2 partitions created you can flash your phone with this update.zip .. now you can skip ahead to:

#busybox cp -a /data/app /system/sd
#rm -r /data/app
#ln -s /system/sd/app /data/data/app

and again for the app-private .. this update.zip does the modified files for you so if you've already created the "ln -s" links you don't need to do it again and your phone won't freeze at the android because of not mounting the EXT2

LucidREM

Jan 18, 2009
Baltimore
www.lucidrem.us
Eeck! What do you suggest I do at this point? Please don't tell me I need to do a wipe. I have over 80 apps installed. :( Please!

Also, would you please update the original post so that other people don't go through the same trouble as me? Thanks a lot.
well because my script targeted very specific locations and not the entire /data/data a wipe should not be necessary

the only question would be if a link wrote over the data in those specific locations .. i really need to edit my script with more IF tests .. automation can be a B---- sometimes

can you output the screen from:

#ls -l /system/sd/data

and then:

#ls -l /system/sd/data/com.android.contacts

either the info was written over OR it's in a neverending loop

robpet2

Sep 6, 2006
Virginia
www.myspace.com
what this does is once you have the FAT32 / EXT2 partitions created you can flash your phone with this update.zip .. now you can skip ahead to:

#busybox cp -a /data/app /system/sd
#rm -r /data/app
#ln -s /system/sd/app /data/data/app

and again for the app-private .. this update.zip does the modified files for you so if you've already created the "ln -s" links you don't need to do it again and your phone won't freeze at the android because of not mounting the EXT2
dude!!!
if i shake this headache today im gonna give this a try later on today