[MOD][MAGISK][ANDROID 11] Addon features for Pixel 3, 4 and 5 devices and EXCLUSIVE features for Pixel 4a

Nuke1999

Jun 20, 2018
Hello, how long does the "Pixel is starting" last upon first reboot after flashing via Magisk? Mine has been stuck there for a while.. (about 10 minutes now)
Edit: Yeah, it's not going past "Pixel is starting". I have Android 11 with a rooted boot.img (obviously). Flashed V4 Pixel 4a exclusive via Magisk (latest build as of typing this). ****.

Edit #2: Okay, so since I had no choice but to flash a stock image, I proceeded to do that and flash this module as cleanly as possible, AKA I flashed new image, made a rooted boot.img with Magisk Canary. After rooting the phone, I followed OP's procedure for flashing the module, and I am no longer getting stuck on "Pixel is starting". Phone booted up successfully. I will report back the stability of the app/any further problems I come across.

Edit #3: Yeah, no. Ever since flashing the module, I do not have a status bar, no way of accessing the drop down menu at all, and no navigation keys (or gesture navigation). Flashing another stock image...

Last edited:
Reactions: DiamondJohn

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Hello, how long does the "Pixel is starting" last upon first reboot after flashing via Magisk? Mine has been stuck there for a while.. (about 10 minutes now)
Edit: Yeah, it's not going past "Pixel is starting". I have Android 11 with a rooted boot.img (obviously). Flashed V4 Pixel 4a exclusive via Magisk (latest build as of typing this). ****.

Edit #2: Okay, so since I had no choice but to flash a stock image, I proceeded to do that and flash this module as cleanly as possible, AKA I flashed new image, made a rooted boot.img with Magisk Canary. After rooting the phone, I followed OP's procedure for flashing the module, and I am no longer getting stuck on "Pixel is starting". Phone booted up successfully. I will report back the stability of the app/any further problems I come across.

Edit #3: Yeah, no. Ever since flashing the module, I do not have a status bar, no way of accessing the drop down menu at all, and no navigation keys (or gesture navigation). Flashing another stock image...
I have been very interested in this module, but it does sound at the higher end risk for a boot-loop, or in your case a failed boot; with great power comes.... You may be interested in my recent discussions regarding recovering from a failed magisk module at:
There is a few posts after this one as well.

As for accessing / navigating. I use the pie style controls of an app called fooView (its free on the playstore). Actually just realised, my custom launcher has the gesture of pulling down anywhere on my home page, to show the quick tiles.

Reactions: Nuke1999

Typhus_

Jan 9, 2013
Lisbon

Please provide logcats so that I may try to figure out what went wrong at your end.

On a side note, yesterday I was making some tests on a new version and suddenly something went terrible wrong without me doing nothing special on the module. I had no choice but to completely factory reset my device. After that, rooted the phone again, flash the module again and had no issues whatsoever. Weird, really weird. Logcat showed me something about missing permissions, which made no sense at all.

Anyway, without logcats I can't understand what could be wrong, so if you could share yours I can try to make sense of what's wrong.

Cheers!

Edit - Forgot to mention that you can use latest stable Magisk version, we no longer need Canary version, not even for S.

Reactions: Nuke1999

Typhus_

Jan 9, 2013
Lisbon
Hello!

Ok so, after adding de QS Rows x Columns options I've realized that, at least on sunfish (the screen size is just too small), we get a really ugly QS panel if we add more Columns and keep the tiles labels.

So I had to do something about it. Unfortunately, on Android 11 we cannot use the feature already included on S so I had to go into smali business once more to get it done for sunfish.

The QS Rows x Columns "suffered" an overall and I've added the hide labels feature. Unfortunately, I cannot add (or, better yet, don't know how to add...) a similar feature to the "universal" mod for other Pixels running on R. I've tried to come up with an overlay but, R "does not compute" overlays where we have to mess with layouts, so, I could only make it for sunfish since it really needs SystemUI changes.

OP has been updated with this new version exclusive for Pixel 4a.

Cheers!

Attachments

Nuke1999

Jun 20, 2018
I have been very interested in this module, but it does sound at the higher end risk for a boot-loop, or in your case a failed boot; with great power comes.... You may be interested in my recent discussions regarding recovering from a failed magisk module at:
There is a few posts after this one as well.

As for accessing / navigating. I use the pie style controls of an app called fooView (its free on the playstore). Actually just realised, my custom launcher has the gesture of pulling down anywhere on my home page, to show the quick tiles.
Thanks, wish I would've done a little more digging yesterday! Will definitely use this from now on, until we can get TWRP running on A11.

Nuke1999

Jun 20, 2018
Please provide logcats so that I may try to figure out what went wrong at your end.

On a side note, yesterday I was making some tests on a new version and suddenly something went terrible wrong without me doing nothing special on the module. I had no choice but to completely factory reset my device. After that, rooted the phone again, flash the module again and had no issues whatsoever. Weird, really weird. Logcat showed me something about missing permissions, which made no sense at all.

Anyway, without logcats I can't understand what could be wrong, so if you could share yours I can try to make sense of what's wrong.

Cheers!

Edit - Forgot to mention that you can use latest stable Magisk version, we no longer need Canary version, not even for S.
So from a very quick search, it appears that the only way to obtain Android logcats is through Android Studio; do you know if there is a "lighter" option, or something that isn't such a big overall file size? I have the crappiest internet where I'm at right now, so downloading Android Studio would be a pain, but am willing to provide if there is another way of obtaining logcats.

Edit: If I run the command adb logcat through cmd for like ~2 minutes after booting up with the module, would that give you enough information to determine the problem?

Last edited:

Typhus_

Jan 9, 2013
Lisbon
So from a very quick search, it appears that the only way to obtain Android logcats is through Android Studio; do you know if there is a "lighter" option, or something that isn't such a big overall file size? I have the crappiest internet where I'm at right now, so downloading Android Studio would be a pain, but am willing to provide if there is another way of obtaining logcats.

Edit: If I run the command adb logcat through cmd for like ~2 minutes after booting up with the module, would that give you enough information to determine the problem?
Well, I use Android studio but since we're able to run adb during boot, you can get the logcat at boot time and keep it going until you want to. I've included an option on the module so that, if it fails to boot it won't go to rescue mode keeping it alive but with a black screen. That way, not only you can get the logcat but, also, gives you time to run the command, I've shared on the OP, to remove the module in case something goes south.

Cheers!

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Well, I use Android studio but since we're able to run adb during boot, you can get the logcat at boot time and keep it going until you want to. I've included an option on the module so that, if it fails to boot it won't go to rescue mode keeping it alive but with a black screen. That way, not only you can get the logcat but, also, gives you time to run the command, I've shared on the OP, to remove the module in case something goes south.
I have read about another magisk module, where if a specific file is found in the root of the SDCard, that module will uninstall itself. Something like this may be a good option to get out of a bootloop without flashing stock. And there is always

Also Magisk has its boot-logging, as well as last_kmsg. Would last kmsg be of any value?

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Hello!

Ok so, after adding de QS Rows x Columns options I've realized that, at least on sunfish (the screen size is just too small), we get a really ugly QS panel if we add more Columns and keep the tiles labels.

So I had to do something about it. Unfortunately, on Android 11 we cannot use the feature already included on S so I had to go into smali business once more to get it done for sunfish.

The QS Rows x Columns "suffered" an overall and I've added the hide labels feature. Unfortunately, I cannot add (or, better yet, don't know how to add...) a similar feature to the "universal" mod for other Pixels running on R. I've tried to come up with an overlay but, R "does not compute" overlays where we have to mess with layouts, so, I could only make it for sunfish since it really needs SystemUI changes.

OP has been updated with this new version exclusive for Pixel 4a.
I havent installed this module yet, but the QS rows and columns are one of the most interesting features, as on previous phones and ROMs I had a 5x3 grid, and that was with a much smaller screen. I was therefore a little surprise to read the above. Attached is a full size screenshot of my other phone
Screenshot_Ruthless_Launcher_20210228-101008.png
Its now a test/backup phone, so the actual tiles are unimportant. Actually, looking at it now, if the tiles were drawn closer together vertically, another row could fit comfortably .

Mike808James

Feb 13, 2016
I enabled this Magisk Module, but now when I plug in my Pixel 4a to the charging cable (original cable and power brick) it no longer shows "rapidly charging" on the lock screen, it just says Charging, and tells me about how much longer until full. Does this module disable fast charging on pixel 4a?

Mike808James

Feb 13, 2016
Oops. I found out that I wasn't using the original cable and charging brick when I thought I was (I have so many that look so similar!) When I actually made sure and used original charging brick and cable with my pixel 4a, rapidly charging does appear on lock screen while charging with this Magisk Module active. I love how you made it possible for us to hide the stupid pill line in gestures! Thank you so much for this awesome module!

Reactions: Typhus_

Mike808James

Feb 13, 2016
Please, try to uninstall the Device Personalization Services app update. Then, having the module installed, reboot and wait for, like, 2 minutes tops. Check if the option appears or not.
I have the same problem with no adaptive sound option. I had deleted Device Personalization Services app on my pixel 4a using Debloater (Terminal Emulator) Magisk module with Termux before I about a week or two before I even found your module here. However, I figured I need to have it (Device Personalization Services) for the Adaptive Sound Option to appear in the settings of my Pixel 4a, so I downloaded the update in Google play store, then disabled the app and restarted my pixel 4a. Still no luck. Please help me figure this out Typhus_. Thank you.

Typhus_

Jan 9, 2013
Lisbon
I have the same problem with no adaptive sound option. I had deleted Device Personalization Services app on my pixel 4a using Debloater (Terminal Emulator) Magisk module with Termux before I about a week or two before I even found your module here. However, I figured I need to have it (Device Personalization Services) for the Adaptive Sound Option to appear in the settings of my Pixel 4a, so I downloaded the update in Google play store, then disabled the app and restarted my pixel 4a. Still no luck. Please help me figure this out Typhus_. Thank you.
If you removed it there's no problem. My module adds the Pixel 5 version. All you need is to let it update to latest version (clear play store app cache and data if needed). After the update is installed, just toggle off/on the adaptive sound service option on Rom Control.

kkjb

May 3, 2017
You the Man ! Thanks for the FAST heads up on March. Thank You for all your hard work on this simple but (for me) Perfect add on, just the right amount of modifications to Factory.

Typhus_

Jan 9, 2013
Lisbon
Hello!

OP has been updated once again...

Changes:

• Added option to show more notification icons on status bar (on both module versions for March builds)
  • Corrected Carrier text size on lock screen (exclusive module version for sunfish only)
  • Fixed the QS header clock left padding to match the padding on status bar (exclusive module version for sunfish only)

Cheers!

Natakranta

Mar 19, 2013
Dublin
Hello!

OP has been updated once again...

Changes:

• Added option to show more notification icons on status bar (on both module versions for March builds)
  • Corrected Carrier text size on lock screen (exclusive module version for sunfish only)
  • Fixed the QS header clock left padding to match the padding on status bar (exclusive module version for sunfish only)

Cheers!
V.6 in the evening and v.7 now working fine on my Pixel 4a5G stock Mar.2021 rooted Magisk 22.0
Thanks for quick update!