[MOD]MultiROM || MultiBoot solution || Unofficial

Search This thread

oblikas

Sep 28, 2012
Bacau
Introduction

First time,I want to say THANKS !!!! to @Tasssadar because he's the creator and he helped me a lot !!!MultiROM is one-of-a-kind multi-boot mod for Galaxy S4(international). It can boot any Android ROM as well as other systems like Ubuntu Touch, once they are ported to that device. Besides booting from device's internal memory, MultiROM can boot from USB drive connected to the device via OTG cable. The main part of MultiROM is a boot manager, which appears every time your device starts and lets you choose ROM to boot. You can see how it looks on the left image below and in gallery. ROMs are installed and managed via modified TWRP recovery. You can use standard ZIP files to install secondary Android ROMs and MultiROM even has its own installer system, which can be used to ship other Linux-based systems.

Features:
* Multiboot any number of Android ROMs
* Restore nandroid backup as secondary ROM
* Boot from USB drive attached via OTG cable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCYh14Zwl3s You can also watch a video which shows it in action.​

Warning!

####### MUST READ !! ######

Installation tutorial video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEYmDV6YAjE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

1.The mod is different than the Nexus 7 mod because we have a different kexec hardboot patch.
So,everytime you flash a secondary ROM,you need a patched kernel.You will find them in 2nd post.
How to flash it?Right after you flashed the secondary ROM,go to advanced -> MultiROM -> List ROMs -> click on your ROM -> Flash zip -> Select a patched kernel from 2nd post.If the ROM doesn't work with any patched kernels,request me to patch the ROM's kernel.
Some of new CM,Carbon etc builds won't work with a custom kernel because of a CAF mess,so I patched their kernel.You can find it in 2nd post.To flash,go into advanced -> MultiROM -> List ROMs -> select your ROM -> Flash zip -> Flash the ROMname_patched_kernel_MultiROM zip

2.At boot,the MultiROM needs 3-4 seconds to initiate the touchscreen drivers.So when the auto boot screen will appear,the touchscreen won't work for 3-4 secs.I recommend to disable the auto boot in advanced -> MultiROM -> Settings or increase the auto boot time to 15 seconds.

3.It will not work with sdcards yet.Also,when it will work *not sure when*,you will need a high speed SDCard to have a smooth ROM.

4.The recovery is still beta.If the screen goes off,you have to reboot again into recovery.And it needs some resizing,but it's acceptable.I am working on it.

It _is_ dangerous. This whole thing is basically one giant hack - none of these systems are made with multibooting in mind. It is no longer messing with data partition or boot sector, but it is possible that something goes wrong and you will have to flash factory images again. Make backups. Always.​

Installation

Note 1: Your device must not be encrypted (hint: if you don't know what it is, then it is not encrypted).

MultiROM has 3 parts you need to install:

• [*]MultiROM (multirom-YYYYMMDD-vXX-jfltexx.zip) - download the ZIP file from second post and flash it in recovery.
    [*]Modified recovery (TWRP_multirom_jfltexx_YYYYMMDD.zip) - Flash the zip in your already installed recovery or extract the recovery.img and flash it with Flashify.
    [*]Patched kernel - You can use either one of the stock ones in second post or third-party kernels which include the patch, you can see list in the second post. Download the ZIP file and flash it in recovery.
You current rom will not be erased by the installation.
Download links are in the second post.

Adding ROMs

1. Android
Go to recovery, select Advanced -> MultiROM -> Add ROM. Select the ROM's zip file and confirm.Flash the patched kernel.

2. Other Systems
Unfortunately, no other systems are available as of now. But, MultiROM _theoreticaly_ supports them - the principle should be the same as on grouper, we just need the systems. That's why the options in "Add ROM" menu in recovery are there, but do not flash systems for old Nexus 7 (grouper)!

Using USB drive
During installation, recovery lets you select install location. Plug in the USB drive, wait a while and press "refresh" so that it shows partitions on the USB drive. You just select the location (extX, NTFS and FAT32 partitions are supported) and proceed with the installation.
If you wanna use other than default FAT32 partition, just format it in PC. If you don't know how/don't know where to find out how, you probably should not try installing MultiROM.
If you are installing to NTFS or FAT32 partition, recovery asks you to set image size for all the partitions - this cannot be easilly changed afterward, so choose carefully. FAT32 is limited to maximum of 4095MB per image - it is limitation of the filesystem, I can do nothing about that.
Installation to USB drives takes a bit longer, because the flash drive is (usually) slower and it needs to create the images, so installation of Ubuntu to 4Gb image on my pretty fast USB drive takes about 20 minutes.
Enumerating USB drive can take a while in MultiROM menu, so when you press the "USB" button in MultiROM, wait a while (max. 30-45s) until it searches the USB drive. It does it by itself, no need to press something, just wait.​

Updating/changing ROMs

1. Primary ROM (Internal)
  • Flash ROM's ZIP file as usual, do factory reset if needed (it won't erase secondary ROMs)
  • Go to Advanced -> MultiROM in recovery and do Inject curr. boot sector.
2. Secondary Android ROMs
If you want to change the ROM, delete it and add new one. To update ROM, follow these steps:
  • Go to Advanced -> MultiROM -> List ROMs and select the ROM you want to update.
  • Select "Flash ZIP" and flash ROM's ZIP file.
  • Flash the patched kernel.

Source code

XDA:DevDB Information
MultiROM,a multi boot solution for Galaxy S4 I9505, a Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy S 4

Contributors
oblikas, http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=4870917, Tasssadar

Version Information
Current Beta Version: v16a
Beta Release Date: 2013-10-20

Created 2013-10-20
Last Updated 2013-10-20

Last edited:

oblikas

Sep 28, 2012
Bacau
Downloads

1. Main downloads

Patched kernels :

Donations

If you want to donate me,use the "Donate to me" button.
Indiegogo campaign : http://igg.me/at/multiroms4/x/6262625

Donate to @Tasssadar. You can use either paypal or Bitcoins, his address is 172RccLB2ffSnJyYwjYbUD3Nx4QX3R8Ris

Thanks to all donors, it is much appreciated :)

Last edited:

ktetreault14

Feb 12, 2012
Largo
AMAZING:D downloading needed files now :D

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

Would i be able to do a touchwiz nandroid and then share kernels?

RK

Feb 8, 2012
Am i correct in assuming that this will work on jflteatt if I flash loki doki after flashing MultiROM and recovery?

RK

Feb 8, 2012
I am not sure.This mod it's for jfltexx.

Also,I got the patched kernel for TouchWiz ROMs.I succesfully booted TW 4.2 ROM + PA + CM10.1 + AICP.

I glanced through the scripts. It does not seem like you are messing with the boot loader at all. All the modifications are in the kernel and the recovery. Is that right?

If yes, I m gonna go ahead and try it. The only difference between jfltexx and jflteatt is the boot loader (the sbl partitions and the aboot partition.) Other than that, they are identical.

The Loki doki patch patches the ramdisk of the recovery and the kernel to fool the boot loader into believing that an official Samsung binary is being used as kernel or recovery.

So the only thing I am worried about is your ramdisk modifications interfering with the Loki patch ramdisk modifications.

I have attaches the zip file for the Loki doki patch. Can you please take a look at the scripts and see if there are conflicts?

Thanks.

Loki doki: https://db.tt/F6q4dKhm

EDIT: never mind.. The zip I posted just has binaries and script just executes the binaries. The source and description of what Loki patch does is here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2292157

If you have spare time and if you want to support jflteatt, you can look through that..

Thanks again.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: CPA Poke

oblikas

Sep 28, 2012
Bacau
I glanced through the scripts. It does not seem like you are messing with the boot loader at all. All the modifications are in the kernel and the recovery. Is that right?

If yes, I m gonna go ahead and try it. The only difference between jfltexx and jflteatt is the boot loader (the sbl partitions and the aboot partition.) Other than that, they are identical.

The Loki doki patch patches the ramdisk of the recovery and the kernel to fool the boot loader into believing that an official Samsung binary is being used as kernel or recovery.

So the only thing I am worried about is your ramdisk modifications interfering with the Loki patch ramdisk modifications.

I have attaches the zip file for the Loki doki patch. Can you please take a look at the scripts and see if there are conflicts?

Thanks.

Loki doki: https://db.tt/F6q4dKhm

EDIT: never mind.. The zip I posted just has binaries and script just executes the binaries. The source and description of what Loki patch does is here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2292157

If you have spare time and if you want to support jflteatt, you can look through that..

Thanks again.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I will try when I will have some free time.

L

ktetreault14

Feb 12, 2012
Largo
Where does this actually boot the rom from? Also could you post a little clearer instructions? Some people might get confused due to the layout. Also this mod is amazing, will we see any Ubuntu we could put through it.

oblikas

Sep 28, 2012
Bacau
Where does this actually boot the rom from? Also could you post a little clearer instructions? Some people might get confused due to the layout. Also this mod is amazing, will we see any Ubuntu we could put through it.

I posted a video with the instructions.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction

First time,I want to say THANKS !!!! to @Tasssadar because he's the creator and he helped me a lot !!!MultiROM is one-of-a-kind multi-boot mod for Galaxy S4(international). It can boot any Android ROM as well as other systems like Ubuntu Touch, once they are ported to that device. Besides booting from device's internal memory, MultiROM can boot from USB drive connected to the device via OTG cable. The main part of MultiROM is a boot manager, which appears every time your device starts and lets you choose ROM to boot. You can see how it looks on the left image below and in gallery. ROMs are installed and managed via modified TWRP recovery. You can use standard ZIP files to install secondary Android ROMs and MultiROM even has its own installer system, which can be used to ship other Linux-based systems.

Features:
    * Multiboot any number of Android ROMs
    * Restore nandroid backup as secondary ROM
    * Boot from USB drive attached via OTG cable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCYh14Zwl3s You can also watch a video which shows it in action.​

Warning!

####### MUST READ !! ######

Installation tutorial video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEYmDV6YAjE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

1.The mod is different than the Nexus 7 mod because we have a different kexec hardboot patch.
    So,everytime you flash a secondary ROM,you need a patched kernel.You will find them in 2nd post.
    How to flash it?Right after you flashed the secondary ROM,go to advanced -> MultiROM -> List ROMs -> click on your ROM -> Flash zip -> Select a patched kernel from 2nd post.If the ROM doesn't work with any patched kernels,request me to patch the ROM's kernel.
    Some of new CM,Carbon etc builds won't work with a custom kernel because of a CAF mess,so I patched their kernel.You can find it in 2nd post.To flash,go into advanced -> MultiROM -> List ROMs -> select your ROM -> Flash zip -> Flash the ROMname_patched_kernel_MultiROM zip

2.At boot,the MultiROM needs 3-4 seconds to initiate the touchscreen drivers.So when the auto boot screen will appear,the touchscreen won't work for 3-4 secs.I recommend to disable the auto boot in advanced -> MultiROM -> Settings or increase the auto boot time to 15 seconds.

3.It will not work with sdcards yet.Also,when it will work *not sure when*,you will need a high speed SDCard to have a smooth ROM.

4.The recovery is still beta.If the screen goes off,you have to reboot again into recovery.And it needs some resizing,but it's acceptable.I am working on it.

It _is_ dangerous. This whole thing is basically one giant hack - none of these systems are made with multibooting in mind. It is no longer messing with data partition or boot sector, but it is possible that something goes wrong and you will have to flash factory images again. Make backups. Always.​

Installation

Note 1: Your device must not be encrypted (hint: if you don't know what it is, then it is not encrypted).

MultiROM has 3 parts you need to install:

• [*]MultiROM (multirom-YYYYMMDD-vXX-jfltexx.zip) - download the ZIP file from second post and flash it in recovery.
      [*]Modified recovery (TWRP_multirom_jfltexx_YYYYMMDD.zip) - Flash the zip in your already installed recovery or extract the recovery.img and flash it with Flashify.
      [*]Patched kernel - You can use either one of the stock ones in second post or third-party kernels which include the patch, you can see list in the second post. Download the ZIP file and flash it in recovery.
    You current rom will not be erased by the installation.
    Download links are in the second post.

Adding ROMs

1. Android
    Go to recovery, select Advanced -> MultiROM -> Add ROM. Select the ROM's zip file and confirm.Flash the patched kernel.

2. Other Systems
    Unfortunately, no other systems are available as of now. But, MultiROM _theoreticaly_ supports them - the principle should be the same as on grouper, we just need the systems. That's why the options in "Add ROM" menu in recovery are there, but do not flash systems for old Nexus 7 (grouper)!

Using USB drive
    During installation, recovery lets you select install location. Plug in the USB drive, wait a while and press "refresh" so that it shows partitions on the USB drive. You just select the location (extX, NTFS and FAT32 partitions are supported) and proceed with the installation.
    If you wanna use other than default FAT32 partition, just format it in PC. If you don't know how/don't know where to find out how, you probably should not try installing MultiROM.
    If you are installing to NTFS or FAT32 partition, recovery asks you to set image size for all the partitions - this cannot be easilly changed afterward, so choose carefully. FAT32 is limited to maximum of 4095MB per image - it is limitation of the filesystem, I can do nothing about that.
    Installation to USB drives takes a bit longer, because the flash drive is (usually) slower and it needs to create the images, so installation of Ubuntu to 4Gb image on my pretty fast USB drive takes about 20 minutes.
    Enumerating USB drive can take a while in MultiROM menu, so when you press the "USB" button in MultiROM, wait a while (max. 30-45s) until it searches the USB drive. It does it by itself, no need to press something, just wait.​

Updating/changing ROMs

1. Primary ROM (Internal)
    • Flash ROM's ZIP file as usual, do factory reset if needed (it won't erase secondary ROMs)
    • Go to Advanced -> MultiROM in recovery and do Inject curr. boot sector.
    2. Secondary Android ROMs
    If you want to change the ROM, delete it and add new one. To update ROM, follow these steps:
    • Go to Advanced -> MultiROM -> List ROMs and select the ROM you want to update.
    • Select "Flash ZIP" and flash ROM's ZIP file.
    • Flash the patched kernel.

Source code

XDA:DevDB Information
    MultiROM,a multi boot solution for Galaxy S4 I9505, a Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy S 4

Contributors
    oblikas, http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=4870917, Tasssadar

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: v16a
    Beta Release Date: 2013-10-20

Created 2013-10-20
    Last Updated 2013-10-20
    Downloads

1. Main downloads

Patched kernels :

Donations

If you want to donate me,use the "Donate to me" button.
    Indiegogo campaign : http://igg.me/at/multiroms4/x/6262625

Donate to @Tasssadar. You can use either paypal or Bitcoins, his address is 172RccLB2ffSnJyYwjYbUD3Nx4QX3R8Ris

Thanks to all donors, it is much appreciated :)
    Ok,I updated some kernels for CM10.2,Carbon and AOKP,if you flash the Chronic or KT kernel and you have graphic problems,flash the patched kernel for your ROM.
    Can you Please patch the MIUI-Kernel? This would be awesome!

Sure.Today after school
    Uploaded patched kernels for TouchWiz ROMs.
    Tested with EchoSlim ROM and worked.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone