[MOD] MultiROM v33

Search This thread

npjohnson

May 3, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
So are you able to fully take over the project? I added you to the DevDB contributors and to my GitHub organization, so you should be able to push to the repos and edit this thread.

Yes, I'd be happy to! I'll look at getting a USB enabled version posted up soon if that's cool with you.

I'll also take a look at the vendor issue this weekend. I already have some ideas about how to solve it.

Thanks for all the work you've done on this man! You've really opened alot of doors for cool things on ARM64.

npjohnson

May 3, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
So are you able to fully take over the project? I added you to the DevDB contributors and to my GitHub organization, so you should be able to push to the repos and edit this thread.

I commited some simple fixes, and have more coming later today.

I do have some questions that I think would be better conveyed through a chat, do you use Hangouts or Telegram by chance? (If so, just PM me your info)

kingoddball

Jun 27, 2010
Sydney
Unfortunately newly uploaded multirom does not work?
I overwrote beta1; MultiRom does not boot and it boots directly to internal.
Shows both roms in TWRP but MultiRom doesnt show.
I re flashed back to older (beta 1?) and it's working as expected.

Is beta2 dependent on the new recovery possibly?

Last edited:

Tylog

Recognized Contributor
Jan 4, 2013
new to multi rom, thanks to you both. quick question, how do i update? do i just flash the recovery.img using fastboot or do i need to flash the installer zip file?
Both, the multirom zip from Beta 2 and the recovery img Beta 2. You can flash the img with fastboot or directly with twrp , set zip to img.

Reactions: ncsuwolfs

ncsuwolfs

Dec 21, 2013
Florida
Both, the multirom zip from Beta 2 and the recovery img Beta 2. You can flash the img with fastboot or directly with twrp , set zip to img.

thanks. rebooted to bootlaoder, flashed new recovery, restarted to system, everything worked fine. rebooted to recovery, flashed new installer zip, rebooted to system. when it booted and the multi rom "encrypted device" screen popped up(red and white), i entered my pin but it said it was wrong. rebooted back to recovery, entered pin to unencrpyt (it worked), flashing old installer zip fixed it. dont know if i did anything wrong or maybe a bug. battery is almost dead so ill try again tomorrow

Tylog

Recognized Contributor
Jan 4, 2013
Yes, there should be a problem with the new multirom beta. Beta 2 recovery with MR beta 1 is fine, with MR Beta 2 it's fine. Maybe better wait that npjohnson take a look on it.
Possible your issues had to do with it. It's 4 clock in the morning, i am tired :)

Last edited:

npjohnson

May 3, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Good work here, @npjohnson need to update op ak kernel has kexec patch also.
Done.
new to multi rom, thanks to you both. quick question, how do i update? do i just flash the recovery.img using fastboot or do i need to flash the installer zip file?
Both.
Unfortunately newly uploaded multirom does not work?
I overwrote beta1; MultiRom does not boot and it boots directly to internal.
Shows both roms in TWRP but MultiRom doesnt show.
I re flashed back to older (beta 1?) and it's working as expected.

Is beta2 dependent on the new recovery possibly?
They both work. I'm running both...
Any news about f2fs

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA Labs
In what aspect? It works fine as long as your kernel supports it...
Yup.
thanks. rebooted to bootlaoder, flashed new recovery, restarted to system, everything worked fine. rebooted to recovery, flashed new installer zip, rebooted to system. when it booted and the multi rom "encrypted device" screen popped up(red and white), i entered my pin but it said it was wrong. rebooted back to recovery, entered pin to unencrpyt (it worked), flashing old installer zip fixed it. dont know if i did anything wrong or maybe a bug. battery is almost dead so ill try again tomorrow
You flashed hte new zip, but did not inject boot sector. I recommend decryption personally, its more trouble than it is worth, and I ntoed that passcodes are recommended against in the OP..
Yes, there should be a problem with the new multirom beta. Beta 2 recovery with MR beta 1 is fine, with MR Beta 2 it's fine. Maybe better wait that npjohnson take a look on it.
Possible your issues had to do with it. It's 4 clock in the morning, i am tired :)
I'm running it right now... I don't see how that could be. have you personally tried it?

---------- Post added at 02:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 AM ----------

EDIT: Just uninstalled, and fresh tested installer app, install zip, recovery, and uninstaller. All work just fine.

Tylog

Recognized Contributor
Jan 4, 2013
Hm , Yes i installed both and have the issues. I will install it later again, maybe i uninstall Beta 1 First and Flash Beta 2 Clean, Dirty Update could be the reason, first i need some sleep . I let you know in a few hours. Good night :)

Last edited:

ncsuwolfs

Dec 21, 2013
Florida
You flashed hte new zip, but did not inject boot sector. I recommend decryption personally, its more trouble than it is worth, and I ntoed that passcodes are recommended against in the OP..

reflashed and chose to re inject boot sector and same results, guess its the pin and encryption thats the problem. thanks for all your hard work!

kingoddball

Jun 27, 2010
Sydney
Same issues here on b2. Just boots straight into internal.

Reflashed beta 1, but none of the secondary roms will finish booting right now either

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Yes, this is the exact problem I had. I had to reinstall secondary OS, would not boot (tried to clear cache etc and reinstall. Had to delete all together and reinstall).

Now I'm using beta2 recovery and beta1 multirom.

Maxximo88

Jul 4, 2013
Milan (Italy)
35yghmf.png

Hi,
I'm not a Nexus 6P user but I want to say thanks for your effort on porting MultiROM on a ARM 64 Device!
Hope to see MultiROM working on Oneplus TWO too..

Jun 29, 2014
I've always tested this on an encrypted device with a password; I'll give the latest version a try today and see what's causing the issue. Also, pulling console-ramoops and pmsg-ramoops-1 after rebooting into recovery might help.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TLDR:

This project is no longer actively maintained, see explanation here.

1: MAKE A BACKUP. Seriously.
    2: Downloads in second post. Flash recovery, then kernel, then MultiROM.
    3: Any issues: please report at https://github.com/multirom-nexus6p/multirom/issues I won't be reading this thread very often.

35yghmf.png
    Introduction

This is a port of Tassadar's MultiROM, a multi-boot mod for Nexus 6P. The main part of MultiROM is a boot manager, which appears every time your device starts and lets you choose ROM to boot. You can see how it looks on the left image below and in gallery. ROMs are installed and managed via modified TWRP recovery. You can use standard ZIP files to install secondary Android ROMs and MultiROM even has its own installer system, which can be used to ship other Linux-based systems.

This is still very experimental!

This has been thoroughly tested with the most popular ROM's for the 6P.

Make backups. Seriously. Please.

Features:
    * Multiboot any number of Android ROMs
    * Restore nandroid backup as secondary ROM
    * Boot from USB drive attached via USB-C OTG cable

Warning!

It _is_ dangerous. This whole thing is basically one giant hack - none of these systems are made with multibooting in mind. It is no longer messing with data partition or boot sector, but it is possible that something goes wrong and you will have to flash factory images again. Make backups. Always.​

Installation
    We have a custom built MultiROM Manager .apk in the downloads section, feel free to try it! (somewhat untested, please report, even if install doesn't work, ROM name customization, etc. should work fine)
    1. Via MultiROM Manager app
    This is the easiest way to install everything MultiROM needs. Install the app found in the next post, and select MultiROM and recovery on the Install/Update card. If the Status card says Kernel: doesn't have kexec-hardboot patch! in red letters, you have to install also patched kernel - either select one on the Install/Update card or get some 3rd-party kernel here on XDA. You are chosing kernel for your primary ROM, not any of your (future) secondary ROMs, so select the version accordingly.
    Press "Install" on the Install/Update card to start the installation.
    Accept any Super User request prompts.

2.Manual installation
    Firstly, there are videos on youtube. If you want, just search for "MultiROM installation" on youtube and watch those, big thanks to all who made them. There is also an awesome article on Linux Journal.

MultiROM has 3 parts you need to install:

• Modified recovery (TWRP_multirom_angler_YYYYMMDD.img) - download the IMG file from second post and use fastboot to flash it.
    • Patched kernel - You can use either one of the stock ones in second post or third-party kernels which include the patch, you can see list in the second post. Download the ZIP file and flash it in recovery.
    • MultiROM (multirom-YYYYMMDD-vXX-angler.zip) - download the ZIP file from second post and flash it in recovery.

Your current rom will not be erased by the installation.

Adding ROMs
    1. Android
    Go to recovery, select MultiROM -> Add ROM. Select the ROM's zip file and confirm.​

Using USB drive
    During installation, recovery lets you select install location. Plug in the USB drive, wait a while and press "refresh" so that it shows partitions on the USB drive. You just select the location (extX, NTFS and FAT32 partitions are supported) and proceed with the installation.
    If you wanna use other than default FAT32 partition, just format it in PC. If you don't know how/don't know where to find out how, you probably should not try installing MultiROM.
    If you are installing to NTFS or FAT32 partition, recovery asks you to set image size for all the partitions - this cannot be easilly changed afterward, so choose carefully. FAT32 is limited to maximum of 4095MB per image - it is limitation of the filesystem, I can do nothing about that.
    Installation to USB drives takes a bit longer, because the flash drive is (usually) slower and it needs to create the images, so installation of Ubuntu to 4Gb image on my pretty fast USB drive takes about 20 minutes.
    Enumerating USB drive can take a while in MultiROM menu, so when you press the "USB" button in MultiROM, wait a while (max. 30-45s) until it searches the USB drive. It does it by itself, no need to press something, just wait.​

Updating/changing ROMs

1. Primary ROM (Internal)

• Flash ROM's ZIP file as usual, do factory reset if needed (it won't erase secondary ROMs)
    • Go to Advanced -> MultiROM in recovery and do Inject curr. boot sector.
    2. Secondary Android ROMs
    If you want to change the ROM, delete it and add new one. To update ROM, follow these steps:

• Go to Advanced -> MultiROM -> List ROMs and select the ROM you want to update.
    • Select "Flash ZIP" and flash ROM's ZIP file.

Note that swapping roms between internal and external is not supported (yet). Also, after flashing a factory image to the primary system and boot partition, make sure to immediately inject MultiROM before first boot, otherwise the secondary ROMs will be deleted.

Source code
    MultiROM - https://github.com/multirom-nexus6p/multirom/tree/master (branch master)
    Modified TWRP - https://github.com/multirom-nexus6p/Team-Win-Recovery-Project (branch android-6.0) -- Includes the awesome new Material Dark TWRP theme by @daveyannihilation ! Go thank him, or get his Blackout Domination Layers or CMTE (yes, there are free versions on the Play Store, but you can find those yourself, or donate to a hard worker :) ).
    Kernel w/ kexec-hardboot patch - https://github.com/multirom-nexus6p/android_kernel_huawei_angler/tree/mm -- use angler_defconfig
    Device tree: https://github.com/multirom-nexus6p/TWRP-android_device_huawei_angler/tree/android-6.0-mrom

Thanks

This port is based on the hard work of Tassadar, 500 Internal Server Error, Geoff Levand, webgeek1234, Mike Kasick, Npjohnson, Hashbang173, and many others. Thank you.

Issues

- None that are known. If you find one that this thread does not know about/hasn't answered (solid rule, read the last three pages of the thread befre reporting an issue), report it on the specific repo in question here.

- IF YOU GET LOCKED OUT OF YOUR DEVICE: Don't worry! Your data is fine. Simply boot to TWRP, choose 'Advanced' ==> 'Terminal Command' ==> type "rm -Rf /data/system/gatekeeper.*.key" (without the quotes). This is a dirty fix, and should only be used to recover data, not as a permanent solution! After you recover your data, wipe /data (you don't have to wipe Internal Storage), and re-setup the device.

Please report any unlisted issues to the GitHub bug tracker at https://github.com/multirom-nexus6p/multirom/issues . You'll get faster response if you post there instead of in this thread

Changelog
    Here

Downloads
    Downloads
    v33 -- Stable 7:

MR Installer App: Play Store Link

MR-TWRP: mr-twrp-recovery-20160528-05-STABLE7.img

MultiROM Installer Flashable ZIP: multirom-20160514-v33-UNOFFICIAL-angler-STABLE7.zip

Stock HardBoot Enabled Kernel Flashable ZIP (only your Primary ROM needs this): kernel-hardboot-stock-angler-6.0.1-20160514

MultiROM Uninstaller Flashable ZIP: multirom_uninstaller.zip

NOTE:
    Third party kernels with kexec-hardboot support (can be flashed to primary ROM):

ElementalX
    FrancoKernel
    AK
    PureNexus
    (Alert me if I've missed any!)

Extra Information
    Unlike some of the other 64-bit MultiROM ports, this port does have kexec-hardboot enabled, which is less risky and speeds up boot into secondary ROM. Anyone porting MultiROM to a Snapdragon 810 device may find the source to be useful. The patch was written by @500 Internal Server Error

Also, due to recent events on other projects of mine, you are welcome to fork our Github repositories, and use them to port MR to new devices, and as a reference, but, I ask that no one build targeting the 6P using our source and post it publicly (of course you can build for personal use, but distribution is forbidden). Of course, I welcome and ask that anyone who wants to pull request changes in to do so!

The only acceptable releases based on our source for the 6P is recovery/multirom themes, though, I strongly ask you tag me so I can note the themed version in the OP.

XDA:DevDB Information
    MultiROM for Nexus 6P, Tool/Utility for the Huawei Nexus 6P

Contributors
    npjohnson, 500 Internal Server Error
    Source Code: https://github.com/multirom-nexus6p/

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: v33-05282016-STABLE7
    Stable Release Date: 2016-05-28

Created 2016-02-12
    Last Updated 2017-09-17
    UPDATE: I've got all the necessary repos brought up to building in a 7.1.1 tree! For those that don't know what that means, It means that MR is functioning on 7.1.1!

Unfortunately, I've run into an issue. TWRP is unable to bind certain mounts (the most important of which being that even though /data decrypts fine, /data/media/0's bind to /sdcard/ fails for reasons I can't comprehend). This messes up everything else. Hours of debugging have yielded no results, so, I have reached out to some other developers I know in an effort to solve the problem.

If anyone is able to help me solve the TWRP mounts issue, or wants to update multirom_adbd to 7.1.1 (an optional task which I've opted not to spend my time on), they can build In a Lineage/CM 14.1 tree. For those who can help, but don't have the resources to build, my personal builds can be found here: ods.ninja/Server/Android/angler/MR/

I WARN those who opt to use builds from the above, I have intentionally*disabled multiboot functions in them (in essence making multirom useless so the average user doesn't use them). These are only to be used if you are able to help work out current TWRP issues.

Thanks to all, and happy new year.
    I will be updating this soon.

I've got most of MultiROM's issues worked out, and was planning on waiting until I had it all fully building with clang/7.1.1 sources, but, I'll concede that those things aren't /that/ useful to the end user.

As of this next release, the recovery will be built in a CM 7.1 tree, and everything else in an Omni 6.0 tree.

If you don't know what any of the above means... you don't need to. Just know that within the next few weeks I'll be posting a new build.
    I think StarShoot97 is testing the official version of TWRP.

It has recently been released on TWRP's website: https://dl.twrp.me/angler/twrp-3.0.3-0-angler.img.html

As for Multirom, I don't know, but there are some new commits on npjohnson's fork: https://github.com/npjohnson/Team-Win-Recovery-Project

Yup. We have 3.0.3-0 working, with a usable theme (like we had previously), and, N-Block encryption (like on the 6P) works, but, we are still working on FBE support for those on the 6P using the option in developer settings, and Pixels... (hint hint).

The MultiROM repo is also brought up to support N.

All that is left is updating multirom_adbd to 7.1.1 so we can get ADB working on the MultiROM boot selection screen, updating Kexec-Tools (and remerging DTB support), then just updating the build system (branches, dependencies, etc.).
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone