Notice: Flashables are divided into Post #1 and Post #2. Post #1 will contain all the information, misc & flashables for 4.1.2 and Post #2 will contain the flashables for 4.2.1/4.2.2, take note all the latest will be the most recent upload. All 4.2.2 builds start from V3B4
What This Mod Does:
Nexus devices have pitifully low volume. Previous fixes like the Volume+ app and Franco's app only increased the volume on music playback, or in the headphones, but did nothing for in-call volume or notifications.
This mod changes all that. It will increase ALL volume, across the entire phone: ringtone, music, notifications, loudspeaker sound, ear speaker sound, in-call volume, and headset.
-Custom recovery like CWM or TWRP.
-Jellybean Deodexed OR Odexed.
-Custom kernel with high quality audio tweak enabled is recommended (e.g. Franco or Trinity or AK).
-Nandroid Backup, I implore people to have at least one recent one as this method is faster.
Compatible With :
-Galaxy Nexus, Kindle Fire (reported), also Nexus 7.
-Universal for all kernels and ROMs.
-All major players, including: Google Music, Noozy, PowerAMP (see note below), Apollo, PlayerPRO.
Note on PowerAMP - To allow PowerAMP to be controlled by external DSP/EQ you must disable Direct Volume Control under Audio Tweaks in Settings.
*Revert previously installed patch as necessary.
1. Copy zip to Internal Storage
2. Boot to custom recovery
3. Install zip from sdcard
5. Choose EIZO ReWire PRO under Settings > Sound > Music Effects
Note: If you do not have the "Music Effects" submenu then EIZO should be enabled by default since it's the only DSP present.
What you should do:
- Configure EIZO, Select it in Music Effects.
- Refer to the Op for EIZO settings.
- Practice tuning your own values. EVERY user has their own listening experience. What sounds good to one and not the other doesn't become the fault of the MOD.
- Keep backups of your Alsa Mixer if you use call recording BEFORE flashing this MOD
- Keep backups (The revert is safe) but I am not responsible for loops if you flash this on another device.
- Flash the MOD after every ROM flash. Not necessarily kernel flash.
- Search if your ROM has been mentioned. KEYWORDS are a must. Example is 'PA works' and the results will be displayed. If not feel free to ask and I shall assist you.
What you shouldn't do:
- Test the loudness via Settings. There is an implemented system limiter so you can't tell the difference. Call yourself or sms yourself so you can know the difference.
- Complain of distortion without testing your own values. I've set a recommend layout in the OP hoping it's to give you an idea.
- Error 7, Error 7 is a halt procedure. Please debug the error and see what's written before saying Error 7 only.
- Alternate flashing. (I know some of you prefer to flash the Gnexus mod on the N7 but doing so breaks the media codes, if you have the patience to swap the media codes in etc folder of the N7 then it's fine)
- Don't use Noozy lockscreen controls, they're unreliable till a new app is remade.
- Don't use compression in EIZO. Causes massive volume fluctuations as it was set to be an AVLS.
- Awesome.. who's done a great job, and a big thanks to bigxie too for the epic 4.1 port.
- montrealguy for fixing up this guide for me where it wasn't as clear as it should be, Thanks buddy, much appreciated.
- TheGingerbreadMan for testing out and giving feedbacks on each version religiously to make sure it works flawlessly.
- Cyanogen team for their epic libs.
- MASSIVE MASSIVE THANKS! to r-ikfoot! If not for you I wouldn't have gotten beat's working back again. And of course Alastor89 for guiding me to the right path. Kindly go over to his thread and show him some love.
- hidato_aori partnership with Noozy + EIZO Labs
- osm0sis for writing the noob-proof installer and revert in the newer releases to make it safer and easier for everyone, as well as
- completely universal.
- Bewinxed & osm0sis for organizing this post for me.
- And of course, Massive thanks to the community for their feedback, appreciation to a massive audiophile (me) and to those involved in the project to make GNexus an amazing smartphone among the rest. Thanks to everyone who supports this project.[/I]
Reason for major swap from DSP+Apollo - Noozy
As much as I like giving the option to people on DSP and how they chose to listen to their choice of music, I did a poll over the N7 side, and collected all the data here, and about 70% don't use DSP but only 30% do. So inorder to satisfy both sides, I decided to integrate proper XLouder+Beats that work perfectly without issues, this would highly benefit the audiophiles and those who complain about bass and it's distortion. On another note I have tried my best to retain the loudness infact this build has a whooping 5% loudness, 7% with HTC enabled. And all this is safe.
Word to the wise when using Noozy do not max Psychoacoustic II, as the bass works best on 20-40% [And I repeat for this to work, Please invest on Class A/B/C Bass headphones, Also, Beats..Is class C :|, Most of you might think Beats was Class B or A but it's not. I've tested out this so called 5.1 Surround Sound and Razer Electa $60 headphones can output that and Beats can't] Just my 2 cents. Don't shoot the messenger LOL.
Noozy was the ULTIMATE choice as this cleared the headache of choosing which side do I lean on and which side would I end up screwing over. Bass+Loudness vs those who like baubly neat interfaces, and earlier today a friend of mine linked me Noozy and I tested it out and I was shocked as to how it abused EVERYTHING properly, This player was recommended to most HTC Beats Users but after enabling it on our build.prop it works just the same, Amazing, Crisp, Clean, Flawless! and the album artwork is GORGEOUS! Please do not forget to enable the options in Settings shown below to get the best feel of it. Also Lockscreen Controls are glitchy, but I'm sure the developer would work on a way to fix this.
Best EIZO EQ Settings for N7 to avoid distortion/rumbling (Credits to osm0sis):
PS: Don't forget to try these Noozy options (Credits to bdubs4200):
Re: Noozy Distribution - Noozy went dark, all threads about it including it's files. It is included in the patch but if you want it seperately, you're welcome to grab it from my post here
EULA : The version of Noozy attached is by no means gained via monetary conditions, the attached copy is the free one released under the open source EULA and not the paid modified apk on the market. Under any circumstances this APK will not be used to market, sell, or be promoted for monetary gains and will be used for personal, non commercial use.
If you like my work, feel free to buy me a beer.
NexusLouderV5B1 4.3 only
- Porting over libs
- Testing Xlouder libs
- Testing HTC libs
- Debugging & reloading of apps.
- Deletd SwiqiSettings.apk
- Deleted Volume.db
- Deleted mixer_path.xml as this caused conflicts and replaced with a better solution
- AB, EIZO & Dolby all proven to work after building from CM tree
- Bass refinement
- Complete overhaul of MOD again from scratch and refined each aspect
- Cleaned, compressed and updated libs overall
- Tested with PA, CM, Stock, All system's go.
- Fixed issue : EIZO & Beats crops the sound by 50% when options are selected
- Fixed issue : Stopping a song in between clears selected options
- Fixed issue : Selecting a new song starts off louder suddenly then drops
- Fixed issue : Random FC when changing tracks
- Fixed issue : Skipping tracks fluctuated volume
- Fixed issue : Static sound when listening to lower frequencies
- Fixed issue : Audio wakelock randomly popping up during notifications
- Fixed issue : Sound permanently lowered when call/notification comes in
- Fixed issue : Random FC of Settings after applying changes.
Caution: Clear cache/data for all DSP's if you had saved values previously as 4.3 and 4.2.2 settings delete them as they are like 2 saucy women in a bar getting ready for a ghetto booty showdown.
Word to the wise, In order for the DSP's to kick in, 4.3 has made some security changes where it won't just run in the background, For EIZO & Beats to kick in, you need to launch the app manually after selecting it from Music->Effects, proceed to GMusic or App of choice, followed by going to the EQ settings from the music app, and change the settings. When changing DSP's from one to another, completely close out the app from the Multi-tasking menu, and notification bar (Best if you FC it from App Info) then change DSP in Music->Effects Settings and finally relaunch the app, making your changes in the EQ.