[MOD] Nexus 7 720p Video Recording

Search This thread

Novalis31

Jan 5, 2011
Milwaukee, WI
I went to try this and found that I already have it. It must of been included in the room I'm using.
6u8y9ehu.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dympy

Oct 30, 2009
Purmerend
I used Rushter instructions, works fine !

Thank you all !

But from which app came the following picture ?

The HD/SD menu looks like the "Camera Launcher for Nexus 7" app one, but the circle menu... ?
My guess: Tablet Mode.
It's integrated in quite some ROMs now, including Serenity by HillBeast.

Dympy.

Capt.PP

Oct 19, 2010
OC
I used Rushter instructions, works fine !

Thank you all !

But from which app came the following picture ?

The HD/SD menu looks like the "Camera Launcher for Nexus 7" app one, but the circle menu... ?

The app is Camera ICS+ by MOBLYNX, but he charge a dollar for it. He based it on the free app called "Camera Launcher for Nexus 7" by MoDaCo.

tonyp

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 3, 2011
The app is Camera ICS+ by MOBLYNX, but he charge a dollar for it. He based it on the free app called "Camera Launcher for Nexus 7" by MoDaCo.

No, that's not true.
The camera launcher is just a shortcut to the camera app which is included within the gallery.
I don't know nor care about Camera ICS+ but I guess it's based on AOSP camera.

Sent from my LG-P990 using xda app-developers app

Capt.PP

Oct 19, 2010
OC
No, that's not true.
The camera launcher is just a shortcut to the camera app which is included within the gallery.
I don't know nor care about Camera ICS+ but I guess it's based on AOSP camera.

Sent from my LG-P990 using xda app-developers app

If it's from AOSP then i wonder why MoDaCo didn't implemented 720p recording into his app since he's the first one to make a camera app for nexus 7. MOBLYNX updated his $1 app with 720p recording on Sept. 12, 2012.

Edit: nvm MODACO released his app on Jul 4. Google release Jelly Bean in AOSP on Jul 9.

Last edited:

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
If it's from AOSP then i wonder why MoDaCo didn't implemented 720p recording into his app since he's the first one to make a camera app for nexus 7. MOBLYNX updated his $1 app with 720p recording on Sept. 12, 2012.

Edit: nvm MODACO released his app on Jul 4. Google release Jelly Bean in AOSP on Jul 9.

You've still got it wrong, read the description on the MoDaCo "app".

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
Your edit is included in the quote, so I already did.

The MoDaCo launcher does just that, launches the Jelly Bean Camera app which already comes pre-installed on the N7, and only doesn't have a shortcut in the app drawer. If you'd read the description like I'd told you, you'd know this.

Camera+ is based off the AOSP JB Camera app, but to say its based off MoDaCo is incorrect. MoDaCo didn't write it, they just wrote a launcher for a Google app.

rushter

Jul 19, 2010
Kawasaki City
You are awesome my friend.
Btw, I started a new thread for the Japanese users.
I think Google will add this as a value added benefit to the next nexus 7.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I just got 720p video recording working on my Nexus 7 and felt you guys should know about this too. It's a simple fix as it's not a limitation of hardware or a kernel function or anything, rather it's just Google didn't add the media profile for 720p to tell it how to use 720p.

What firmware does this need?

It doesn't matter. If you're on the original N7 firmware or the latest builds from Google, it still works just fine. I'm now on JOP40C and it works just fine. One update.zip fits all. I do suggest keeping your original file as a backup though as it plays up with OTA updates if you have this mod installed.

You don't need to install this if you are running a CM based firmware (CM10, etc) as I have pushed the patch to the CM repositories and it will be preloaded on your Nexus 7. And no, it's not them stealing credit, I pushed the patch to them.

Download Link

Update.zip: http://d-h.st/8Cw

Video For Your Delectation

media_profiles.xml got updated with JOP40C. hillbeast will have to update the OP with new files. ;) :good:
    No need. Works fine. Tested it myself and it works fine with no negative ramifications.

Here is what changed between JZO54K and JOP40C. Just 3 lines with a higher min framerate for the video codecs. Nothing extreme I guess, but could improve the encoding quality just slightly.

Attached are recovery flashable zips of your patched xml altered to reflect the JOP40C changes, and the Undo to revert back to 4.2 stock. JOP40D, JDQ39, and JWR66V are still exactly the same as this.

Edit: All stock KitKat builds also still have the same codec file as JOP40D.

[ Attachments removed since all custom ROMs now contain these fixes ]
    I have paranoid rom installed and there is 720p recording and it works out of the box, is this same like that or this is maybe better.
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

The 720p recording in all the ROMs now is because I submitted this page to CM. Any CM ROM has this mod now.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Nexus 7 720p Camera Instructions - no PC needed (rooted users only)

So I just got 720p video recording working on my Nexus 7 and felt you guys should know about this too.

720p video picture

Here are my instructions to do this without using a PC(for rooted users):
    I used ES File Expolorer (nice program available in the play store)
    1- Open ES File Explorer and head to /system/etc/
    2- Find the file media_profiles.xml and copy it (long press the file and select copy from the menu)
    3- Go into any other directory and paste it there (temporarily)
    4- Go back to the /system/etc/ directory again and rename the media_profiles.xml to media_profiles.xml.old and save it (long press the file and select rename from the menu
    5- Now go back to the directory you copied the file to and long press it. When the menu comes up select cut and go to the /system/etc directory and hit paste up at the top
    6- Now just click on the file you just pasted and a list of editors will pop up.
    7- Select ES Note Editor (it comes with ES File Explorer) and locate the section in the file where it says
    Code:
        <EncoderProfile quality="480p" fileFormat="3gp" duration="30">
          <Video codec="h264"
                 bitRate="4000000"
                 width="640"
                 height="480"
                 frameRate="30" />

<Audio codec="aac"
                 bitRate="96000"
                 sampleRate="44100"
                 channels="1" />
        </EncoderProfile>

8- Add this code right after
    Code:
        <EncoderProfile quality="720p" fileFormat="3gp" duration="30">
          <Video codec="h264"
                 bitRate="16000000"
                 width="1280"
                 height="720"
                 frameRate="30" />

<Audio codec="aac"
                 bitRate="128000"
                 sampleRate="48000"
                 channels="1" />
        </EncoderProfile>
    9- Once added click the back button on the bottom and a menu will show up on the bottom that asks you to save click that.
    10- Long press the file you just saved and select Properties at the bottom and make sure you give it the correct permissions (rw-r--r-- or chmod 644) by clicking the change button. There should be 4 check marks on that screen User read, User write, Group read, Other read. Click ok and ok again to save it.
    11- Reboot and enjoy.
    Don't thank me for this - thank hillbeast. If my instructions helped you then thank me too. Lol.

Thanks hillbeast - I also noticed that you cannot take a screenshot while in the camera program - gives you a sd card storage in use error. So I took this with my SGS2.
    hey hillbeast, post this one, I credited you in the updater-script
    goo.im- http://tinyw.in/udKH
    or from dev-host-http://d-h.st/hmD