[MOD][OOS] Add Custom background to QS panel

Search This thread

ungeeked

Jun 12, 2012
Delhi-NCR
Introduction
Some of you may know me from my H2O2 accent color mod for OOS. To further add customization to OOS, I have made another mod. This is inspired by substratum themes that add beautiful backgrounds to Quick settings panel. So I decided to make a mod to add this functionality

Features
- Based on VRTheme engine
- Cross compatibility with any other mods that you may be using like my own H2O2 mod or the ones made by KPChuck or v.konvict
- Support for op3 and 3T

Instructions
  • Please not that not following these properly will make your systemUI to crash at boot
  • First of all, you need to create a folder named "QS" in your Internal Storage (/sdcard)
  • Within the QS folder, you need to have a .png file that will serve as your background image. Rename this file as customqs.png (dont add double extensions)
  • Recommended dimensions for customqs.png image are 1080*800 pixels.
  • You can use snapseed or picsart to crop your images and jpg2png.com to convert your jpgs to pngs
  • Remember to only use pngs. jpgs are not supported
  • Once you are done setting up everything, just flash customqs.zip and reboot:)
  • To change image, delete the png from QS folder and add new image. Then flash zip again
Here is a video by GIS on youtube
https://youtu.be/gRNKYTKk3cs

Downloads
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=178441

Credits
@Spannaa for his VRTheme Engine
@Kickoff for his modifications to theme template for our devices
@mido25 and Shubhojit for testing this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170322-020112.jpg
    Screenshot_20170322-020112.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 9,703
  • Screenshot_20170322-012648.jpg
    Screenshot_20170322-012648.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 9,611
Last edited:

KpChuck

Sep 22, 2016
Cork
I tried flashing this: made QS folder, extracted the qs folder that you uploaded into it, removed the (1) from one of the pngs. But after flashing this my phone booted up to a black screen. I got out of it by re-flashing my black theme mod in recovery. Do you know what's going wrong?

ungeeked

Jun 12, 2012
Delhi-NCR
I tried flashing this: made QS folder, extracted the qs folder that you uploaded into it, removed the (1) from one of the pngs. But after flashing this my phone booted up to a black screen. I got out of it by re-flashing my black theme mod in recovery. Do you know what's going wrong?

4.1.0? Shouldn't happen. I tested it myself extensively

Aldideos

Mar 19, 2011
Aversa(CE)
New version available, check post #30, it is flash and go. Unified version Magisk & System. No need to flash Mount Magisk. For systemless install only keep active my modules on magisk.

Old version:
I made two versions of this mod to work with my two magisk module.
CustomQS Magisk (H2O2-Color module only)
CustomQS Magisk (Black Notifications)
If you use both my modules use Black Notifications version

How to flash:
Remember to create the dir QS on sdcard and copy the file .png like ungeeked said.

Boot Twrp
Flash Mount Magisk
Flash one of the two zip

No need of a revert script, you can just reflash my module.

@ungeeked I have problem with @v.konvict theme and this mod. The notifications turn white after the flash. I tried also the original zips and it's the same. I think something broke the theme. However Custom QS works great.
Edit: fixed in v0.5, please read post #17

Last edited:

ungeeked

Jun 12, 2012
Delhi-NCR
I made two versions of this mod to work with my two magisk module.
CustomQS Magisk (H2O2-Color module only)
CustomQS Magisk (Black Notifications)
If you use both my modules use Black Notifications version
@ungeeked I have problem with @v.konvict theme and this mod. The notifications turn white after the flash. I tried also the original zips and it's the same. I think something broke the theme. However Custom QS works great.

Oh. I'll fix the problem issue with vkonvict's mod in next version. Didn't give it a thought. :)

AcmE85

Jan 19, 2012
@ungeeked
I just got a great idea for a QS Background.
You mentioned in a previous post that this will also support transparency, right?

What about a png that starts of at the top with the same color as the QS header
and slowly fades into a ~50% transparency gradient?!

ungeeked

Jun 12, 2012
Delhi-NCR
@ungeeked
I just got a great idea for a QS Background.
You mentioned in a previous post that this will also support transparency, right?

What about a png that starts of at the top with the same color as the QS header
and slowly fades into a ~50% transparency gradient?!

Png supports transparency. So yes you can create a transparent gradient in Photoshop and use it.

This is the exact reason I posted this. Possibilities are limitless.

New version will remove incompatibility with other mods, probably all oos N version will be supported.

Reactions: KpChuck and AcmE85

ungeeked

Jun 12, 2012
Delhi-NCR
Uploading a test build. It should work fine.

Edit: link updated in OP (V0.5)

I have removed dependency on resources.arsc by using a png already present in systemui. Thanks OnePlus for all the bloat. It may appear a crude method but now it this should work fine with any other mods including dark notification ones. Also may work with ob12. Please test and report. Thank you

Last edited:
Reactions: KpChuck and AcmE85

KpChuck

Sep 22, 2016
Cork
Reactions: ungeeked

Aldideos

Mar 19, 2011
Aversa(CE)
Finally :highfive:
@aldidios you may magiskify this. I don't think it would need an upgrade unless OnePlus changes specifically the 2 files I'm using​.

Please copy the png photo onto QS folder and still flash Mount Magisk before these zips.
How to flash: #8

CustomQS v0.5 Magisk for Black Notifications module

CustomQS v0.5 Magisk for H2O2-Color only module

@ungeeked now the mods works great :good:. Later today I'll unify my two zips and I'll make an automatic choice between Magisk and system mod(your original). I'll try also to make the zip auto-sufficient importing Magisk mount onto the zips.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mar-cel

ungeeked

Jun 12, 2012
Delhi-NCR
CustomQS v0.5 Magisk for Black Notifications module

CustomQS v0.5 Magisk for H2O2-Color only module

@ungeeked now the mods works great :good:. Later today I'll unify my two zips and I'll make an automatic choice between Magisk and system mod(your original). I'll try also to make the zip auto-sufficient importing Magisk mount onto the zips.

0.5 doesn't need two different versions for black and normal notifications. That's what I fixed

Aldideos

Mar 19, 2011
Aversa(CE)
0.5 doesn't need two different versions for black and normal notifications. That's what I fixed

The two versions are due my modules have two different folder in Magisk. If you see the script you can see that black notifications looks in /magisk/Black while H2O2 only looks in /magisk/Color. I can't change the folder name of the modules because Magisk doesn't allow me to have only one module with your work and v.konvict one. However I found a solution to that but I need a computer, I'm at the university right now. I'll make also a pre-work for when you completely switch to VRThemeEngine on H2O2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction
    Some of you may know me from my H2O2 accent color mod for OOS. To further add customization to OOS, I have made another mod. This is inspired by substratum themes that add beautiful backgrounds to Quick settings panel. So I decided to make a mod to add this functionality

Features
    - Based on VRTheme engine
    - Cross compatibility with any other mods that you may be using like my own H2O2 mod or the ones made by KPChuck or v.konvict
    - Support for op3 and 3T

Instructions
    • Please not that not following these properly will make your systemUI to crash at boot
    • First of all, you need to create a folder named "QS" in your Internal Storage (/sdcard)
    • Within the QS folder, you need to have a .png file that will serve as your background image. Rename this file as customqs.png (dont add double extensions)
    • Recommended dimensions for customqs.png image are 1080*800 pixels.
    • You can use snapseed or picsart to crop your images and jpg2png.com to convert your jpgs to pngs
    • Remember to only use pngs. jpgs are not supported
    • Once you are done setting up everything, just flash customqs.zip and reboot:)
    • To change image, delete the png from QS folder and add new image. Then flash zip again
    Here is a video by GIS on youtube
    https://youtu.be/gRNKYTKk3cs

Downloads
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=178441

Credits
    @Spannaa for his VRTheme Engine
    @Kickoff for his modifications to theme template for our devices
    @mido25 and Shubhojit for testing this
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9G2t081E0HwWGcxSXZCdVBxVVE
    Zip contains a few ready to use pngs. Just extract the images in QS folder and remove the number (1), (3) etc at the end of their names and then flash CustomQS.zip

Some more pngs by @neildalal
    https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=71557053&postcount=57
    Here are few more images

Edit: Refer 2 posts below to download all these png plus a few more.
    @ungeeked
    Even the substratum only has the ability change Qs headers BG but not the whole QS panel.What you did here is something Awesome!
    Just out of curiosity,do you think the same is possible for CMTE/Substratum/Oxygen Os MM?
    Btw,what is VR theme engine?

Substratum is very powerful and advanced themes like lone4subs have this ability.
    About oos MM, it should be possible however I need systemui from mm and some testers

VRTheme injects modded files inside apks. So it preserves original signature + requires updates less frequently :)

------

Btw just saw that this mod is now featured on XDA portal. Thanks everyone. :laugh:
    If you can zip the pngs and upload, I'll link it in op
    Here you go, added a few more making it to a total of 13 pngs!
    Drive Link- https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9zmWKUeKqFuMm5rM3otNkNHQVU/view?usp=drivesdk