[MOD][PORT] Samsung Gear 360 Manager for all devices [Updated: 21/Jan/21, v1.4.00.4-FW]

Search This thread

mkuroyar

Aug 4, 2022
If it's not charging, then I would guess it's also broken some communications (ie. drivers). It might also be charging but simply not react as the software is broken.

Considering the firmware update method used here bypasses every check and flashes it using the command line, I'd say your device is effectively bricked and nothing we can do will fix it.
Uh, so sad news. Anyway thank you for feedback, now i can move forward and dont waste my time with googling

greensctx

Apr 24, 2015
I've managed to recover the following firmwares from the Samsung site just in case it goes down:

./2016: C200GLU0APE4_160519_1848_REV00_user.bin C200GLU0AQK1_171121_1257_REV00_user.bin ./2017: R210GLU0ARB2_180201_1739_REV00_user.bin

With this and the archive of the NX300 XML, I should be able to get a mirror going and update the modified app to point to the mirror instead. This would in theory allow anyone to update to C200GLU0AQK1 on the 2016 model and R210GLU0ARB2 on the 2017 model. There is (according to this blog) a R210GLU0AQK1 firmware for the 2017 model too, but I have been unable to find the full filename so am unable to download it from the Samsung site. If you have that firmware on your camera, please check /sdcard/Android/data/com.samsung.android.gear360manager/cache to see if the update file is there, and either upload it and send it to me or send the full filename and I'll be able to grab it from the site. Otherwise, the slightly older ARB2 build will have to do for the 2017 model.

I have R210GLU0AQC6 if that's of any interest (apologies if that's been discussed I didn't read all 100 pages of this thread ;) )

greensctx

Apr 24, 2015
I've managed to recover the following firmwares from the Samsung site just in case it goes down:

./2016: C200GLU0APE4_160519_1848_REV00_user.bin C200GLU0AQK1_171121_1257_REV00_user.bin ./2017: R210GLU0ARB2_180201_1739_REV00_user.bin

With this and the archive of the NX300 XML, I should be able to get a mirror going and update the modified app to point to the mirror instead. This would in theory allow anyone to update to C200GLU0AQK1 on the 2016 model and R210GLU0ARB2 on the 2017 model. There is (according to this blog) a R210GLU0AQK1 firmware for the 2017 model too, but I have been unable to find the full filename so am unable to download it from the Samsung site. If you have that firmware on your camera, please check /sdcard/Android/data/com.samsung.android.gear360manager/cache to see if the update file is there, and either upload it and send it to me or send the full filename and I'll be able to grab it from the site. Otherwise, the slightly older ARB2 build will have to do for the 2017 model.

Can you post or PM the rest of the URL? There's ~1036800 iterations to try... that's only 12 days at one a second. My stack of unlabeled drives is large and it wasn't on the externals 😭

Do those SM-R210 source zips work for you? I'm getting a checksum error (even downloaded them twice. tried with keka, unarchiver, archive utility)

Bash:
❯ shasum SM-R210_Opensource.001.zip
50998236cc01ef77d87d08287879e3f3a5752cca  SM-R210_Opensource.001.zip
❯ shasum SM-R210_Opensource.002.zip
48aa0b1fa8913365bbcb3d9159512308b66120ce  SM-R210_Opensource.002.zip

I found it. https://opensource.samsung.com/uploadSearch?searchValue=R210

Not compiled but that's clearly the easiest way forward for R210GLU0AQC6. The download is going ridiculous slow but I'll host it on my mega account and link it here when it completes. Hopefully someone puts it on GitHub for redundancy

Funny enough, R210GLU0AQC6 worked better for me than R210GLU0ARB2. Now I can't connect to MacOS at all... so I updated those apps and they're no longer building for Mojave, so the MacOS Live Browser just crashes. I'm so far behind where I was 2-3 hours ago :,)

Is there a way to connect with `adb` on this unit or should I just keep on with Telnet? answered below

edit: as promised: https://mega.nz/file/oW4wjQKb#_ejNRYPM-zoWN5G_OKATQpysJnO9Ddj8NS0su6qgxaI R210GLU0AQC6 source

Last edited:

greensctx

Apr 24, 2015
I will start of by saying this absolutely doesn’t belong here, but as there are very few pages related to the Gear360 posting here will give this finding the most visibility. I hope my reporting will excuse the foul of thread jacking. This is something I haven’t found anywhere else.

To start off I haven’t used my camera in a very long time so I began digging around to see if there were any new updates for the camera and found out that Samsung pretty much abandoned this device which is a bummer.

One of the main things I have always wanted was a way to get the camera to stream to my PC without using ActionDirector. I will spare the details on the long way around on how I found this, but while digging around I found a way to access a terminal on the device and run commands on it.

My device is a 2017 model running firmware R210GLU0AQF2 so YMMV. I am also using a windows PC.

These are the components you will need:

Once you have installed these components you will do the following on the camera:

• Power off the camera and unplug the USB cable.
  • Hold down the OK (Shutter) button AND the Menu key.
  • While both of those buttons are held down, hold down the power key until the camera turns on. The display will show “DOWNLOAD” on it.
  • View attachment 5378377
  • Plug the camera into your PC and you should see a device in device manager named “Samsung SDB Interface”
  • View attachment 5378379
  • Open a CMD window and navigate to the Tizen Studio folder and you will need to use the SDB.exe application located in the tools folder. \..\..\Tizen-Studio\tools\sdb.exe. It functions very similarly to ADB with android. https://developer.tizen.org/ko/deve...nning-and-testing-your-app/sdb?langredirect=1
  • At this point you can run commands listed in the link above, or launch sdb shell and run commands at the devices terminal. You can press Tab Twice to list out a bunch of commands that the camera will take.
  • View attachment 5378381
This is where my discovery and expertise run out. I know absolutely nothing about Tizen as an OS and I didn’t want to get too wild and brick my camera. I did find that the commands “test-wifi-direct” allowed me to enable the Wi-Fi and performed a direct connection to my Android Phone. I also ran “tethering_test” and was able to enable the Wi-Fi in AP mode and had my desktop PC connect to it. For the “tethering_test” function run “get ap_setting” first before “enable AP” as the device will set a random passcode that you will need to connect to the SSID.

There is also the ability to run the sdb pull and sdb push commands to fetch and place files on the camera. This might be useful to further identify and unlock the features of this device, however a Tizen expert might be needed here.

I also see you have captured some firmware for the SM-C200 camera but here is a link to the SM-R210 camera SMR210GLU0AQC6 firmware from the open source page. Might be good to grab and archive this one as well before it disappears.

https://opensource.samsung.com/uploadSearch?searchValue=R210

Hopefully all of this is useful to someone and could possibly unlock the full potential of these cameras.
I want the 360 for two reasons: 1) selfies from a selfie stick and 2) 360 webcam for streaming

This is extremely helpful. I went down a similar deep dive several years ago and I'm having to refresh myself on everything...

I set up a local RTMP server and had the Live Broadcast app relay the data to me there. Which I then passed into OBS

I suspected there was an RTMP stream to the Live Broadcast software, and thought about impersonating Live Broadcast to slurp the stream. But now with source code... I'll be working to expose a usable stream. Set the hostname and api key in a .yaml file on the SD card or something. Get the app out entirely, less points of failure

It would be interesting to see if we could hack the i2c bus and send straight HDMI out to a capture card. No lag that way

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
Can you post or PM the rest of the URL? There's ~1036800 iterations to try... that's only 12 days at one a second. My stack of unlabeled drives is large and it wasn't on the externals 😭

Do those SM-R210 source zips work for you? I'm getting a checksum error (even downloaded them twice. tried with keka, unarchiver, archive utility)

Bash:
❯ shasum SM-R210_Opensource.001.zip
50998236cc01ef77d87d08287879e3f3a5752cca  SM-R210_Opensource.001.zip
❯ shasum SM-R210_Opensource.002.zip
48aa0b1fa8913365bbcb3d9159512308b66120ce  SM-R210_Opensource.002.zip

I found it. https://opensource.samsung.com/uploadSearch?searchValue=R210

Not compiled but that's clearly the easiest way forward for R210GLU0AQC6. The download is going ridiculous slow but I'll host it on my mega account and link it here when it completes. Hopefully someone puts it on GitHub for redundancy

Funny enough, R210GLU0AQC6 worked better for me than R210GLU0ARB2. Now I can't connect to MacOS at all... so I updated those apps and they're no longer building for Mojave, so the MacOS Live Browser just crashes. I'm so far behind where I was 2-3 hours ago :,)

Is there a way to connect with `adb` on this unit or should I just keep on with Telnet? answered below

edit: as promised: https://mega.nz/file/oW4wjQKb#_ejNRYPM-zoWN5G_OKATQpysJnO9Ddj8NS0su6qgxaI R210GLU0AQC6 source
We already have the source code for R210, as well as C200, they're attached to this post, since GitHub charges a premium to host files that big. Nobody has compiled it successfully as far as I know.

greensctx

Apr 24, 2015
We already have the source code for R210, as well as C200, they're attached to this post, since GitHub charges a premium to host files that big. Nobody has compiled it successfully as far as I know.
Those files are corrupt. It was served from Samsung's site as one working archive and now it sits on xda-developers as two invalid archives... I tried unzipping with Archive Utility, Keka, and The Unarchiver (even downloaded twice) and I got "invalid checksum" every time

I'll attach the compiled `.bin` on a reply when I get it built. Right now I'm spinning up a VM to run apktool so I don't have to pollute my system with the Java JRE 😬

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
Those files are corrupt. It was served from Samsung's site as one working archive and now it sits on xda-developers as two invalid archives... I tried unzipping with Archive Utility, Keka, and The Unarchiver (even downloaded twice) and I got "invalid checksum" every time

I'll attach the compiled `.bin` on a reply when I get it built. Right now I'm spinning up a VM to run apktool so I don't have to pollute my system with the Java JRE 😬
I just redownloaded them, renamed them to .zip.001 and .zip.002 (since XDA wouldn't take them in that format they were renamed), and opened them in WinRAR. Extracted fine, checksums fine. They're not corrupt - they're one archive in two pieces.

greensctx

Apr 24, 2015
I just redownloaded them, renamed them to .zip.001 and .zip.002 (since XDA wouldn't take them in that format they were renamed), and opened them in WinRAR. Extracted fine, checksums fine. They're not corrupt - they're one archive in two pieces.
Aha. Yeah that checks out. What a stupid design.

Code:
❯ cat SM-R210_Opensource.001.zip SM-R210_Opensource.002.zip | shasum
64962de8609ceb4d47f02b9ec5cb6949ca90ed8b
❯ cat SM-R210_Opensource.zip | shasum
64962de8609ceb4d47f02b9ec5cb6949ca90ed8b

Now to be fair to our sentient computer friends if they don't know where to look for the rest of the data the checksum won't math right

Reactions: Quinny899

greensctx

Apr 24, 2015
>Nobody has compiled it successfully as far as I know

Took care of that one last night :]

I made notes along the way. Some of the docs are out of date and some of it was straight up written by a person who was smelling toast at the time

I can post an Lubuntu VirtualBox snapshot with everything up and running too if anyone's interested.

I don't know how to make these smaller built components (vImage, bootloader, etc) into the one .bin file. Was hoping someone would be down to just walk me through it once

Reactions: semkin and corrss

corrss

Nov 21, 2018
>Nobody has compiled it successfully as far as I know

Took care of that one last night :]

I made notes along the way. Some of the docs are out of date and some of it was straight up written by a person who was smelling toast at the time

I can post an Lubuntu VirtualBox snapshot with everything up and running too if anyone's interested.

I don't know how to make these smaller built components (vImage, bootloader, etc) into the one .bin file. Was hoping someone would be down to just walk me through it once

if you can share on mega, whould be helpful

https://github.com/ottokiksmaler/nx500_nx1_modding maybe have some informationa about it

--
just to know, is it possible to try contact some developer from samsung just to ask simple tips to facilitate achieve key goals? just an "hi, can you help change the gear 360 firmware and compile to stream the video?" don't know

maybe some friendly developer can just help or maybe a paid consulting about (in my opinion) allow use the camera as webcam like device and allow rtsp/mpeg/stream server.

have found comments

file kernel, device-init, config, config.in:
2012/05/23 - [Jeon, Seungchul] Created.

who could be https://www.linkedin.com/in/seungchul-jeon-28020316b/?originalSubdomain=kr

file kernel, emmc_bootloaders, usr, version_information_nx360.c
Created on: 2014. 6. 12.
* Author: youngrae0.cho

who could be https://www.linkedin.com/in/youngrae-cho-b9981215/?originalSubdomain=kr

Last edited:

corrss

Nov 21, 2018
and how about use the OSC api, like street view connection? maybe can solve all the problems if this api is avaliable to access and control the camera.

In packages, usr, share, doc, found gstreamer-0.10.36 folder, and after it in usr, inclusve, gstreamer-0.10, just imagining if change the config to allow share the video stream, and generating the firmware would help to get the stream without app.

found in etc, bluetooth, file main.conf with several properties that could help to change the way the bluetooth send data.

searching osc api informations, maybe can make a html page with imagem (when you connect wifi streetview mode, you have 192.168.43.1 address but returns http erro 400)

I'm know programming a little, if someone know more about linux to help the change I can help investigate and make some suggestions

Last edited:

TurboDogg

Sep 21, 2022
Got a new Android phone (Fold 4) and it keeps erroring out when trying to make a connection to the Gear 360. Am I just sol with this camera now? I've tried the app store app and this modded app.

christopherpm

Sep 24, 2022
Got a new Android phone (Fold 4) and it keeps erroring out when trying to make a connection to the Gear 360. Am I just sol with this camera now? I've tried the app store app and this modded app.
I'm in a similar-ish boat. Just found my Gear 360 after not using it for some time. My Note 20 Ultra will connect to the camera and will let me take photos, but as soon as I try to view the gallery, the app quits.

I think Samsung a really **** for abandoning the camera.

cadelele

May 26, 2020
Sorry resurrecting this, but someone got any idea why my gear360 (2017) doesn't even show a wifi connection or Bluetooth one? I tried on a galaxy s8 - stock play store app, tried on ios stock app, and tried the mod app on my s20fe, but the problem is that the camera does not generate any wifi network or Bluetooth; if it is creating the network, it's not showing on any version of the app or even in the phone's wifi/BT menu.

(Firmware was updated using this thread instructions but the problem persisted)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    AklwGk1.png

Samsung Gear 360 Manager ported for use on (almost) all devices

LAST UPDATED: 21st January 2021, Version 1.4.00.4-FW

Requirements:
    - A Gear 360 2016 or 2017 (BOTH work with the same app)
    - Android 5.0 or above
    - A decently powerful phone. The Live View will not work on any phones with the equivalent or lower power than a Galaxy S5, but try it anyway

Latest Version Download:
    Download
    (-FW indicates this version has the mirrored firmware and options to configure a custom download URL)
    NOTE: Version 1.4.00.9 is available for Samsung phones, but cannot be ported. More info.

Firmware updates and Firmware source code
    As of January 2021, Samsung have taken down the server that contained the firmware update config files for both models of the camera. Through the use of the Wayback Machine and some reverse engineering of the XML syntax read by the app, I was able to fully reproduce the firmware XMLs on GitHub. There is a new version (1.4.00.4-FW) of the app which can use these XMLs and download the binary files of the update from this forum post and install them on the camera. You need to set the firmware you want to use (or latest) in the settings (after connecting your camera) before the app will be able to download an update.

The Source Code is still available on Samsung's website at the time of writing, but has been mirrored on the same forum post in case they also get removed. More info on what the files contain can be found on the GitHub repository linked above.

Screenshots:
    Click a screenshot to enlarge it

Main Menu

Live View (camera is covered)

Gallery View

Image View

360 Image viewer

360 Video viewer (there's steam in this shot, that's not the camera quality!)

Settings

Mod Settings

Known Issues:
    - Live View does not work on slow/older devices. This is unlikely to be fixed, but I am looking at implementing the "no live view" mod (which still works on 2016 cameras) as an option

- App is slow, downloads take ages. Probably down to the proprietary/disabled code from Samsung in the app for checking CPU speed. May be fixed soon

- Live Broadcast doesn't work on 2016 camera or when using Soft AP. Latter cannot be fixed, former may be able to be ported with enough time (not sure)

- WiFi Direct is buggy. Probably down to the app's mode being made for Samsung's modified WiFi direct, unlikely to be fixed

- WiFi doesn't automatically connect/gets disconnected. This is down to Android's smart detection of networks, it connects to a network with a known good internet connection instead. You can disable this with ADB/Root, see here

FAQ:

Q: What's the difference between WiFi direct/non WiFi Direct (Soft AP) mode?
    A: WiFi Direct uses an experimental modification for enabling the Samsung WiFi Direct mode for all devices. It's quite buggy right now, but in theory allows you to update the camera's firmware (known to be dangerous, be careful). It also means you don't disconnect from the internet when using the app

Q: It's stuck on "Installing Samsung accessory service"
    A: Install it manually

Q: I'm trying to use Live View/Gallery but the app gets stuck on loading
    A: (If in Soft AP/WiFi Mode): Open Settings > WiFi and connect to the Gear 360 network. Disable your mobile data and any VPNs you may be using, and disconnect from any Bluetooth headphones or speakers (turn them off). Return to the app
    A: (If in WiFi Direct Mode): Open Settings > WiFi > Advanced > WiFi Direct, and remove any old remembered groups. Wait for the Gear 360 to appear and tap it to connect. If it returns to available, tap it, delete it and repeat until connected. Then press back until you return to the app

Q: I have a 2017 camera and don't know the password for its WiFi!
    A: Switch your camera to iOS mode (on the camera itself, using the menu). It will display a password, write that down. Switch back to the normal mode and continue as normal, entering the WiFi password you wrote down when prompted

Q: Does Live Broadcast work?
    A: On the 2017 camera, when in WiFi direct mode apparently so. I've not tested it, and it doesn't work on any other configuration however

Q: What do the mod settings do?
    A: See the "Mod Settings" section below

Q: There's a new version of the app on the Play Store, when will you update?
    A: Check the last few pages of the thread. If the original APK has been posted already, the mod will be updated soon™. If it hasn't been, and you have a Samsung device compatible with the original app, please grab the APK and post it (the original APK is hard to get hold of)

Q: I found a crash!
    A: Please post it in the thread, WITH A LOGCAT (don't know how to logcat? See here)

Mod Settings:
    Since version 1.0.00.18, the mod has built in settings to allow a single unified APK. They can be found in the app's settings, under Mod Settings

WiFi Direct
    Enable WiFi direct mode. Disabled by default as it's fairly buggy

Override Camera Recognition
    Force your camera to appear to the app as a certain model. This isn't actually that useful, as it just causes crashes because of incompatible settings (default: don't override)

Always Show Live Broadcast
    This is NOT aimed at allowing broadcast on 2016 cameras (they can't do it), but at countries where Live Broadcast is hidden. Enable this to always show it (disabled by default)

Automatically Open Settings
    Automatically open the WiFi Settings/WiFi Direct settings when connecting to save you time (enabled by default)

Porting Guide:
    I don't plan to stop updating the mod any time soon, but if you want to port it yourself I have a rough guide available Here

Old Versions:
    You probably shouldn't use these, they have bugs

1.4.00.4 (without the firmware mirror, firmware updates will not work)
    "Test" build 190617
    1.0.00-2: WiFi Direct, Soft AP
    Even older, pre-2017 camera app:
    1.0.18-39
    1.0.18-34: 4K, 2K

Thanks to:
    - Bin4ry for the original port

Tools used:
    - Apktool
    - V10 Studio/Notepad++ for smali editing
    - JEB for viewing Java code in APK

Disclaimer: You are responsible for your Gear 360 when using this app. Updating the firmware, whilst possible in WiFi Direct mode, may brick your device. It's recommended you find a compatible Samsung device and use that to update
    Here are some APKs. They're the 1.0.00-2 release, in two forms:
    - SOFT_AP: This is the same as previous APKs, just updated to the latest update
    - WIFI_DIRECT: This is the APK additionally modified to allow for WiFi direct. To use it, follow these steps:
    - Open app and connect to camera over Bluetooth as normal
    - Tap "Camera" and wait for the Loading... dialog
    - Open your device's WiFi Direct settings (usually Settings > WiFi > Menu > Advanced > WiFi Direct)
    - The 360 should show up. If it doesn't connect automatically, tap it, cancel the request. Repeat until it connects
    - Return to app, Live View should open
    Note: When testing I had WiFi direct go all buggy a few times, rebooting fixed it

SOFT_AP
    WIFI_DIRECT

Both APKs are 4K. I'm considering dropping the 2K APKs as it doesn't appear anyone uses them who couldn't use the 4K one(?)

I'm aware of one bug in this release I've not figured out yet: "Phone" images in the gallery don't work, nothing shows up. For now, use Google Photos to view your saved photos

I'd also like someone to test live streaming with a 2nd gen Gear 360 with this release, on a non-Samsung device. If it works, I'll try and backport it (during testing with a 1st gen, I could only get stuck at a loading black screen, I'd like to know if it's a signature/app issue or the camera's hardware)
    - Blanked, see OP now -
    Version 1.1.00.5:
    Download

Samsung Changelog said:
    There doesn't appear to be one. It is a major version bump though so there must be some changes

I've fixed the following mod issues also:
    - Crash when opening gallery due to accessibility
    - Crash when opening WiFi settings

As usual, all my changes and additional files can be found in my Porting Guide folder

Enjoy!
    And now for some better news.

1.0.00.18:

There's only one APK this time. No need to make a decision which one you install, because I added a little something to the app:

Accessed via Settings > Mod Settings, you can now switch connection type, override the automatic camera detection (detect the 2nd gen as 1st gen and vice versa), force the live broadcast option to always be shown (but still not work on 1st gen), and also automatically have the app open WiFi/WiFi direct settings when it's stuck on that Loading... screen (enabled by default)

It DOES work on Oreo, but I had to remove some code for that to happen. It was UI code, so there may be some labels missing from the gallery. It doesn't appear to cause problems though

DOWNLOAD

Changes Made/Porting Guide (includes new lib files from Samsung firmware)