[MOD][PORT] Samsung Gear 360 Manager for all devices [Updated: 10/Apr/24, v1.5.00.1-4]

Search This thread

Spite-Horror

Jan 26, 2023
Is there a way to keep street view after they take down those servers as well? Would we need to find hosting for the pictures, but would the app app work for creating tours, paths & spheres?. Lastly I am still having trouble with the gallery connecting without that 1st gen wifi password, gonna check 1 place I might have it, that's the only thing not working on an LG v60 thinkq is remote viewing of the camera gallery on the phone without a cable

user822

Apr 6, 2013
Unfortunately it is crashing for me
Android 13 on S21+

Code:
01-28 18:50:22.336 24296 24296 E AndroidRuntime: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: No virtual method semGetWifiApState()I in class Landroid/net/wifi/WifiManager; or its super classes (declaration of 'android.net.wifi.WifiManager' appears in /apex/com.android.wifi/javalib/framework-wifi.jar)
01-28 18:50:22.336 24296 24296 E AndroidRuntime:     at com.samsung.android.libplatformse.SeWifiManager.getWifiApState(SeWifiManager.java:24)

Log (cleaned from some garbage) attached

Would be very much appreciated if you could look at this!

Attachments

• logcat.log
    27.2 KB · Views: 17

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
Unfortunately it is crashing for me
Android 13 on S21+

Code:
01-28 18:50:22.336 24296 24296 E AndroidRuntime: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: No virtual method semGetWifiApState()I in class Landroid/net/wifi/WifiManager; or its super classes (declaration of 'android.net.wifi.WifiManager' appears in /apex/com.android.wifi/javalib/framework-wifi.jar)
01-28 18:50:22.336 24296 24296 E AndroidRuntime:     at com.samsung.android.libplatformse.SeWifiManager.getWifiApState(SeWifiManager.java:24)

Log (cleaned from some garbage) attached

Would be very much appreciated if you could look at this!
It's probably looking for a Samsung method, the mod was never really designed to work on Samsung devices as those had official support.

Reactions: user822

KalMario

Dec 26, 2016
Hey guys i try every version gear 360 menager with my camera SM-C200 and it crash except for 1.0.13 and it works almost perfectly with my Samsung S22 ultra android 13. App is working fine until i click OK in popup batery window. Can you take a look?

tkalfaoglu

Yesterday a miracle happened and my Huawei p30 emui 12 non rooted phone worked with the app perfectly. Even the gallery. I was able to convert several photos even on the phone and use the live view. It eventually stopped working however. Indeed it's buggy software..

Last edited:

scatamonky

Jun 15, 2016
DERRY
Hi - I've had a Gear360 sitting on my desk for a long time and today decided to search for a modded app and found this thread - I have now sucessfully installed the app on my Samsung Galaxy S10 - I can connect to the bluetooth no problem but when I try Live View or gallery it just times out. Using Wifi Direct I did get the Live View and Gallery to work oince - I was able to take and view a pic but as soon as I tried to view a video (that was on the card from years ago) the app crashed.

Android Version 12
Gear 360 Firmware version - R210GLU0ARB2

I'm switching off mobile data altogether as advised by the app.

Is there anything else I can do - I feel like I could be mising something simple!

Should I format the card?

dahneir

Feb 13, 2023
Hi, First of all sorry if this was answered million times but i couldn't find anything on about 20 pages I searched on so my apologize.
I have a Samsung A51 and a 2017 Gear 360 model. I installed (manually or through the app) samsung Accessory and ,whatever app I am installing (1.4.00.4,1.4.009 or even 1.5.00.1) the pairing process is successful and after the acceptance of general conditions the app crashes and it can't open anymore, crashing every time. Only possibility is to uninstall it and start all over again. Has anyone experienced this or a fix to share? Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Spite-Horror

Jan 26, 2023
Wifi Direct with Bin4rys Gear 360 Manager

I have recently got a Huawei mate 20 pro and I installed this software to connect my old gear 360 camera to it. I have got it all working once but now when i have the WiFi Direct option on my phone cant find the camera on WiFi or WiFi Direct but when i turn the option off i can find the camera on WiFi but it still doesn't show up on WiFi Direct. I think it could be because i turned the camera on today and it started pairing again but i accidentally told it to stop. Has anyone got any solutions or ideas why????

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

I have recently got a Huawei mate 20 pro and I installed this software to connect my old gear 360 camera to it. I have got it all working once but now when i have the WiFi Direct option on my phone cant find the camera on WiFi or WiFi Direct but when i turn the option off i can find the camera on WiFi but it still doesn't show up on WiFi Direct. I think it could be because i turned the camera on today and it started pairing again but i accidentally told it to stop. Has anyone got any solutions or ideas why????
The camera will no longer function as we'd like, nor the app. You can mod the crap out of the original app, but without Android 5-9, the OS on any Android device, I have access to, you will no longer be able to: see pictures on your phone from the camera unless you take out the SD card and transfer the files manually, connect to wifi or wifi direct, have a 'free' way to stitch, edit and create 360 tours (you can still take individual spherical pictures from street view for another 4 weeks (end March 2023). The picture will show up on street view as a single blue dot. They will not and no longer be, connected. Unless you know someone at Google, I personally do not know what is coming next for street view. I do know that when Google first announced it was killing street view, Samsung had already stopped supporting this device, thinking about manufacturing newer, better 360 cameras and folded to, not a company, but a country that is now using all this tech to leap frog the rest of the world.

If anyone has gotten the 360 app to function properly, it's not the 360 app anymore. It's their program. Hence all the software companies trying to sell 360 photographers monthly subscriptions to their software or software and camera combo (think matterport and you'll see why the gear 360 is now a novelty historical item). In short, the love of money and power won over the love of artistic creativity and human ingenuity. I can use my 1st gen 2016 gear 360 on my LG v60 thinkq phone (2020~1?) running Android 11, but I can only see files on the camera if using a micro SD card reader to my USB or USB c port/ direct connect camera to computer. Can I make the camera take a picture? Sure! Can I actually do anything with the file once created? Not easily... And they did that intentionally. Hope that helps explain

"What Happened to the Gear 360?". I would like to know what camera and software combos people are currently using, like matterport or Adobe & Roich Theta X, or softwarex & cameraX?

Do stay away from the Insta360, but especially it's software (it's like tiktok, but you're giving them 360° interior and exterior visuals of every photo, anyone takes with the camera, everywhere...

If you or anyone you know owns an insta360 or works with real estate agents/photographers/companies who do that kind of work & they use an Insta360 STOP WORKING WITH THEM IMMEDIATELY! Every picture they take is not only being used for the paid for intent, but because of the software for the camera, the file is also free property to CCP. They are acting as a foreign agent without knowing it!

Spite-Horror

Jan 26, 2023
Hi - I've had a Gear360 sitting on my desk for a long time and today decided to search for a modded app and found this thread - I have now sucessfully installed the app on my Samsung Galaxy S10 - I can connect to the bluetooth no problem but when I try Live View or gallery it just times out. Using Wifi Direct I did get the Live View and Gallery to work oince - I was able to take and view a pic but as soon as I tried to view a video (that was on the card from years ago) the app crashed.

Android Version 12
Gear 360 Firmware version - R210GLU0ARB2

I'm switching off mobile data altogether as advised by the app.

Is there anything else I can do - I feel like I could be mising something simple!

Should I format the card?
Have you tried looking at the old video on a laptop? Desktop? Other computer/MicroSD card reader?
I have an LG v60 thinkq phone I got the app to be able to take pictures and video from the camera, I just can't view them on my phone. I have to connect the camera directly to the device I'm going to be using the file on (editing to make a video tour, edit the files, etc...). So don't format the disk if the rest of the storage and files are working. If it's all your old files, even after trying to read the file outside the app, then I'd say yes, possibly a corrupt file or partition. Format it. Since I can't see the files on the camera from my phone on the app after completion of the steps in this thread, I'm thinking it's just the app, not the file, hence the 'check the file outside the app' suggestion. That's the only way (at least with the LG v60 thinkq phone) the camera is even useful to me. I haven't tried tweaking my app build on my Samsung A50 though. Spent too much time trying to get the app to take a picture on this phone, 😂. Literally the app is useless except to make the camera take a picture without you in the frame.

Thank God for all of you. Took too long a Hiatus from programming and developing & feel like I'm relearning everything I grew up learning & watching evolve. Glad the 360 is more than a paperweight again. Just wish I had software to be productive with the files after taking them again. Any suggestions anyone?

SkiTrak

Feb 16, 2023
I downloaded the recomended version to my Samsung Note 20 but when I tried to install it I get a message about installing unknown apps is disabled and when I press the settings option I cannot figure out how t enable the setting for the download. Anyone know how to fix this?

Reactions: Rodrigon1

Rodrigon1

Feb 1, 2015
Rio de Janeiro
Agradeço muito sempre a essa comunidade incrível e seus super membros!

Gostaria de saber se existe algum apk modificado pra rodar no Android 13, pois hoje possui um Galaxy Note 20 e o apk que tinha não roda mais depois da atualização. E hoje preciso usar a câmera para trabalho.

admanirv

Jun 3, 2009
Does anyone know why I get no connection try again?

I've got Samsung s22 ultra android 13, connected via Bluetooth but in the app it says not connection try again so never managed to get connect in the app.

Thanks

Macieg

Feb 26, 2023
I use the application on Xiaomi Redmi Note 8T and I have a problem with "live view" and it looks like this. I run "live view" for a while and it redirects me to wifi settings to connect manually or to wifi direct settings. details in the video

sorry for english i am using translator

JkKings

Mar 13, 2023
I came across this site hoping to discover how to use my gear 360 with any of my modern phones, to no avail. But for those of you who do want to keep using your Gear 360 the only reliable method might well be to purchase a used older Samsung phone. I was hoping to be able to use this with my S23 Ultra, and to find a way to get the files onto my Quest device, but I guess that's still an unrealistic dream for now. I still have my Note 8 (and the accompanying Samsung Gear VR) and am still able to fully utilize that phone to use all features of the gear, download the videos onto my phone, and view them in 360 in the VR which is awesome.

They are relatively cheap to get through eBay, and imagine still cheaper than getting a new 360 camera to replace what's otherwise a great device, and it's a great way to view and interact with the content!

NYSprintGuy

Dec 13, 2009
Hi,

I have version 2.0.03231 of SAMSUNG's Action Director OEM specifically for the Gear 360

I know Samsung said that in 2024 it will discontinue support for the camera and the action director software

They said that existing installations of the software will continue to operate

My IMPORTANT question is this : How about new installations where a new iPC or reformat is necessary?.

In these cases the activation server needs to see a camera connected to the PC or the camera's serial number or Product Key. Is there a way to bypass the activation server when it's taken offline?

With the activation servers taken offline in 2024 how will one activate their action director software or will it be the end of life for this product? There does not to be a viable alternative to stitch the gear 360's fisheye video

Also, I prefer the PC app then any modded smartphone app that is floating out there. I do have samsung s21 Ultra though

Thnak you,

jeff

KryptonWar

Mar 29, 2023
I just read through about 25 pages in this forum. I have seen a few people ask this question, but not really get an answer. It is also the issue I am having.

I have a Samsung S22 Android 13 and a 2017 Gear 360 SM-R210 Running R210GLU0AQC6.. I have installed:
  • 1.4.00.4-FW
  • Samsung Accessory Service 3.1.96.31228
They have all ended up in the same issue.
  1. They all sideload perfectly
  2. They all launch perfectly
  3. They give me the permissions screen
  4. I enable both needed permissions
  5. It loads the screen that says connect to gear 360
  6. I click it, and it starts scanning
  7. I start up the 360 cam and put it in connect to android mode
  8. The app connects to the device and shows the familiar app home screen I was used to seeing for a single second and crashes
  9. From that point forward, if I launch the app, it will show a white screen with a phone and 360 cam icon and spinning circles for 1 second and without showing the familiar menu, it crashes
  10. The only option I have is to uninstall and try again, but it does not get passed that
Any ideas on what I can try? I love this device and want to keep using it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New version in the first post, 1.5.00.1-4
    - Fixed crashes on Samsung devices
    - Disabled the 'Low Battery' dialog (shown when the phone has low battery) to make it so it does not automatically disconnect the camera when closed. You can exit out of the page manually. This is due to some old logic that no longer works on some devices and was preventing the live view from working.
    Download link is in the first post

I've also added a section to the first post advising about the bluetooth issue caused by Samsung Accessory Service. On the Samsung device I tested on, the old version of Accessory Service was required even after the initial setup, or it would not connect, so that is also advised if connection fails after updating. The section on WiFi now also emphasises the requirement to disable mobile data, as people are still reporting the loading "bug" with screenshots showing mobile data enabled - please read and follow the instructions, it does work!
    AklwGk1.png

Samsung Gear 360 Manager ported for use on (almost) all devices

LAST UPDATED: 10th April 2024, Version 1.5.00.1-4

Requirements:
    - A Gear 360 2016 or 2017 (BOTH work with the same app)
    - Android 5.0 or above
    - A phone newer than like 2014. The Live View will not work on any phones with the equivalent or lower power than a Galaxy S5, but try it anyway

Latest Version Download:
    Download

Important:
    After installing, grant the app permission to access location in the background, in App Info > Permissions > Location > Allow all the time. This allows it to access the current WiFi network name while the app is not open, such as when you are actually connecting to the camera's WiFi.

If updating from an older version:
    Please uninstall the old version first, since 1.5.00-1 needs a clean state for the phone gallery fix to work.

Firmware updates and Firmware source code
    As of January 2021, Samsung have taken down the server that contained the firmware update config files for both models of the camera. Through the use of the Wayback Machine and some reverse engineering of the XML syntax read by the app, I was able to fully reproduce the firmware XMLs on GitHub. There is a new version (1.4.00.4-FW or above) of the app which can use these XMLs and download the binary files of the update from this forum post and install them on the camera. You need to set the firmware you want to use (or latest) in the settings (after connecting your camera) before the app will be able to download an update.

The Source Code is no longer available on Samsung's website, so has been mirrored on the same forum post. More info on what the files contain can be found on the GitHub repository linked above.

Screenshots:
    Click a screenshot to enlarge it

Main Menu

Live View (camera is covered)

Gallery View

Image View

360 Image viewer

360 Video viewer (there's steam in this shot, that's not the camera quality!)

Settings

Mod Settings

Connecting to the camera's Bluetooth
    If you are having issues connecting to the camera's Bluetooth during setup, uninstall Samsung Accessory Service and install this version. On some devices you can re-update to the latest version after connecting to the camera for the first time, on others you must keep that version installed.

Connecting to the camera's WiFi
    A longstanding "issue" with this app is its tendency to get stuck on a "Loading" screen when Gallery or Camera is selected. This can usually be resolved as follows:

1. Disable WiFi direct in the mod settings, since it is buggy. Restart the app. Verify you have granted the app background location (see above).
    2. Open the app and verify the camera is connected with Bluetooth (if the Connect button appears on the main screen, tap it)
    3. Disable mobile data, any VPNs and disconnect from the camera's WiFi if it is already connected
    4. Open Camera or Gallery. The loading screen will show, and the WiFi settings will open (if you have that option disabled, open them now)
    5. Wait for the camera's WiFi to appear. Connect to it. Return to the app.
    6. The loading screen should disappear after a few seconds. If it doesn't, repeat from step 1 (it sometimes takes two attempts)

If the camera's WiFi automatically disconnects due to lack of internet, then read on...

Fixing WiFi automatically disconnecting
    On some devices the camera's WiFi network will automatically be disconnected by the phone as it doesn't have internet. This can be resolved in one of three ways:

1. If a notification appears asking you if you want to stay connected, tap it and say yes. This decision will be remembered and it will no longer disconnect.
    2. If you are running Android 8.0 or above, run

Code:
    adb shell settings put global captive_portal_mode 0

3. If you are running Android 7.x or below, run

Code:
    adb shell settings put global captive_portal_detection_enabled 0

Please note that options 2 and 3 will disable Captive Portal detection, if you wish to re-enable this then run the same command but with 1 in place of 0.

Known Issues:

- Live Broadcast doesn't work on 2016 camera or when using Soft AP. Cannot be fixed.

- WiFi Direct is buggy. Probably down to the app's mode being made for Samsung's modified WiFi direct, unlikely to be fixed

FAQ:

Q: What's the difference between WiFi direct/non WiFi Direct (Soft AP) mode?
    A: WiFi Direct uses an experimental modification for enabling the Samsung WiFi Direct mode for all devices. It's quite buggy right now, but in theory allows you to update the camera's firmware (known to be dangerous, be careful). It also means you don't disconnect from the internet when using the app

Q: It's stuck on "Installing Samsung accessory service"
    A: Install it manually

Q: I'm trying to use Live View/Gallery but the app gets stuck on loading
    A: See the Connecting to the camera section above

Q: I have a 2017 camera and don't know the password for its WiFi!
    A: Switch your camera to iOS mode (on the camera itself, using the menu). It will display a password, write that down. Switch back to the normal mode and continue as normal, entering the WiFi password you wrote down when prompted

Q: Does Live Broadcast work?
    A: On the 2017 camera, when in WiFi direct mode apparently so. I've not tested it, and it doesn't work on any other configuration however

Q: What do the mod settings do?
    A: See the "Mod Settings" section below

Q: There's a new version of the app on the Play Store, when will you update?
    A: Check the last few pages of the thread. If the original APK has been posted already, the mod will be updated soon™. If it hasn't been, and you have a Samsung device compatible with the original app, please grab the APK and post it (the original APK is hard to get hold of)

Q: I found a crash!
    A: Please post it in the thread, WITH A LOGCAT (don't know how to logcat? See here)

Mod Settings:
    Since version 1.0.00.18, the mod has built in settings to allow a single unified APK. They can be found in the app's settings, under Mod Settings

WiFi Direct
    Enable WiFi direct mode. Disabled by default as it's fairly buggy

Override Camera Recognition
    Force your camera to appear to the app as a certain model. This isn't actually that useful, as it just causes crashes because of incompatible settings (default: don't override)

Always Show Live Broadcast
    This is NOT aimed at allowing broadcast on 2016 cameras (they can't do it), but at countries where Live Broadcast is hidden. Enable this to always show it (disabled by default)

Automatically Open Settings
    Automatically open the WiFi Settings/WiFi Direct settings when connecting to save you time (enabled by default)

Enable 4K
    Enables 4K stitching and streaming from the camera, which may crash on very slow devices (enabled by default)

Porting Guide:
    I don't plan to stop updating the mod any time soon, but if you want to port it yourself I have a rough guide available Here

Old Versions:
    You probably shouldn't use these, they have bugs

1.5.00.1-3
    1.5.00.1-2
    1.5.00.1-1
    1.4.00.4-FW
    1.4.00.4 (without the firmware mirror, firmware updates will not work)
    "Test" build 190617
    1.0.00-2: WiFi Direct, Soft AP
    Even older, pre-2017 camera app:
    1.0.18-39
    1.0.18-34: 4K, 2K

Thanks to:
    - Bin4ry for the original port

Tools used:
    - Apktool
    - Notepad++ for smali editing
    - JEB for viewing Java code in APK

Disclaimer: You are responsible for your Gear 360 when using this app. Updating the firmware, whilst possible in WiFi Direct mode, may brick your device. It's recommended you find a compatible Samsung device and use that to update
    Here are some APKs. They're the 1.0.00-2 release, in two forms:
    - SOFT_AP: This is the same as previous APKs, just updated to the latest update
    - WIFI_DIRECT: This is the APK additionally modified to allow for WiFi direct. To use it, follow these steps:
    - Open app and connect to camera over Bluetooth as normal
    - Tap "Camera" and wait for the Loading... dialog
    - Open your device's WiFi Direct settings (usually Settings > WiFi > Menu > Advanced > WiFi Direct)
    - The 360 should show up. If it doesn't connect automatically, tap it, cancel the request. Repeat until it connects
    - Return to app, Live View should open
    Note: When testing I had WiFi direct go all buggy a few times, rebooting fixed it

SOFT_AP
    WIFI_DIRECT

Both APKs are 4K. I'm considering dropping the 2K APKs as it doesn't appear anyone uses them who couldn't use the 4K one(?)

I'm aware of one bug in this release I've not figured out yet: "Phone" images in the gallery don't work, nothing shows up. For now, use Google Photos to view your saved photos

I'd also like someone to test live streaming with a 2nd gen Gear 360 with this release, on a non-Samsung device. If it works, I'll try and backport it (during testing with a 1st gen, I could only get stuck at a loading black screen, I'd like to know if it's a signature/app issue or the camera's hardware)
    - Blanked, see OP now -
    Version 1.1.00.5:
    Download

Samsung Changelog said:
    There doesn't appear to be one. It is a major version bump though so there must be some changes

I've fixed the following mod issues also:
    - Crash when opening gallery due to accessibility
    - Crash when opening WiFi settings

As usual, all my changes and additional files can be found in my Porting Guide folder

Enjoy!
    And now for some better news.

1.0.00.18:

There's only one APK this time. No need to make a decision which one you install, because I added a little something to the app:

Accessed via Settings > Mod Settings, you can now switch connection type, override the automatic camera detection (detect the 2nd gen as 1st gen and vice versa), force the live broadcast option to always be shown (but still not work on 1st gen), and also automatically have the app open WiFi/WiFi direct settings when it's stuck on that Loading... screen (enabled by default)

It DOES work on Oreo, but I had to remove some code for that to happen. It was UI code, so there may be some labels missing from the gallery. It doesn't appear to cause problems though

DOWNLOAD

Changes Made/Porting Guide (includes new lib files from Samsung firmware)