• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[MOD] Re-Mapping Keys (Genius Button to Search - www/com button to TAB) and more..

Search This thread

nyolsson

Oct 27, 2009
Thanks to 21productionz, and his re-mapping of the Genius button on the MT4G, I was able to re-map the keys on the MT4G Slide as well.

Pls read through before attempting.

What you need:
An S-OFF and perm rooted MT4G Slide. (so re-map sticks)
A file explorer capable of read/writing root directories/files. (Root Explorer is my personal fav)
The expectation that this is a guide to re-mapping keys, so don't mess up. :p

Steps to take:

1. Using Root Explorer, go to /system/usr/keylayout
2. Make sure Root Explorer is mounted as R/W.
(top right button should display Mount R/O, bc you are currently in R/W mode)
3. Long press 'doubleshot-keypad.kl'
4. Select 'Open in Text Editor'
5. Line 5 shows 'key 188' with FUNC_4 next to it. Replace FUNC_4 with 'SEARCH' - all caps.
This re-maps the Genius button on the front of the phone.
6. Scroll down a little and you will see # column 3. 'Key 184' needs to be changed from FUNC_4 to "SEARCH" as well.
This re-maps the Genius button on the qwerty keyboard. (now you can actually use quick launch)
7. Hit the hard menu key and select Save Changes or Save and Exit.
8. Root Explorer will automatically create a backup of the original file you edited with the original file name ending with the extension .bak
(doubleshot-keypad.kl.bak)
9. Need to restart before it takes effect.

Pls be sure you have re-mapped the correct keys and entered 'SEARCH' correctly, or your buttons could fail, resulting in a paperweight - with a keyboard.

Also, I did this without editing 'doubleshot-keypad-v0.kl.'

You can also reverse the re-map by replacing 'SEARCH' back to FUNC_4.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Some users have changed the qwerty home, menu, back, and genius buttons to DPAD values, in other words, up down left right..
-to do so, see this thread here

Some other useful info and re-maps.

FUNC_1 = inputs ".com"
using alt while pressing the key you remapped to FUNC_1 results in ".www"

FUNC_2 = is equivalent to pressing the SYM key next to ALT-Right.

FUNC_4 = Genius Button App

To create a 'tab' button in place of www.com

Same file to edit. under # column 0

---- key 150 should say = FUNC_1

make key 150 = "TAB" (all caps, no quotes, make sure spacing stays even)

restart.

Last edited:

nyolsson

Oct 27, 2009
Can you use this to map multiple actions per button. Say, short press for search, long press for Genius button?

From the source thread (21productionz) there was a fix/app called "button shortcut" in the market that would allow you to change certain long press button mapping.. (camera, search button) and this would allow you to choose Genius Button App as the long press search function.

However, I haven't personally looked for it in the market for the Slide..
------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was provided by Mftek, and if it helped you, you can click here to thank him.

OmsagroSylph

Sep 13, 2008
From the source thread (21productionz) there was a fix/app called "button shortcut" in the market that would allow you to change certain long press button mapping.. (camera, search button) and this would allow you to choose Genius Button App as the long press search function.

However, I haven't personally looked for it in the market for the Slide..
------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was provided by Mftek, and if it helped you, you can click here to thank him.

I'll look into it. I was just wondering if you had information on how the commands would look if editing that config file without an app.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using XDA App

overhauling

Aug 15, 2011
Last edited:

pao_revolt

Nov 30, 2008
You bet. Does anyone know what all the FUNC_? are?

FUNC_1
FUNC_2
FUNC_3
FUNC_4 - Genius Button
FUNC_5
FUNC_6
FUNC_7

ok here is a very noob question,

1. i download that app, also
details
from market
2. i open the file explorer gave it root permission. then i go to the /system/usr/keylayout
3. open the doubleshot-keypad.kl with text edit
4. i edit as OP suggested and tried to save it can't so what i did is save to SD card (also reopen the file to confirm that it is changed from FUNC4 to SEARCH)
5. i copy and paste file from SD card to the /system/usr/keylayout, it asked me if i want to overwrite the file, i answer yes
6. i tried to check if it overwrite but it is not

what i did wrong?

thanks

edit, okay i did try in setting of file explorer i mount it with read/write, and follow the same step now i cannot use the genius button at all the rest of button still working...? and yes i replace it with SEARCH

Last edited:

OmsagroSylph

Sep 13, 2008
ok here is a very noob question,

1. i download that app, also
details
from market
2. i open the file explorer gave it root permission. then i go to the /system/usr/keylayout
3. open the doubleshot-keypad.kl with text edit
4. i edit as OP suggested and tried to save it can't so what i did is save to SD card (also reopen the file to confirm that it is changed from FUNC4 to SEARCH)
5. i copy and paste file from SD card to the /system/usr/keylayout, it asked me if i want to overwrite the file, i answer yes
6. i tried to check if it overwrite but it is not

what i did wrong?

thanks

edit, okay i did try in setting of file explorer i mount it with read/write, and follow the same step now i cannot use the genius button at all the rest of button still working...? and yes i replace it with SEARCH

I assume you are using File Expert and that you have root explorer enabled.

In the keylayout directory, did you open the menu, go to More Options >> Mount >> Mount as Read Write?

One thing that could also help you if you are having issues writing to or overwriting the file is to long press and choose File Operations >> Permission, and Enable read/write/exec permissions.

pao_revolt

Nov 30, 2008
I assume you are using File Expert and that you have root explorer enabled.

In the keylayout directory, did you open the menu, go to More Options >> Mount >> Mount as Read Write?

One thing that could also help you if you are having issues writing to or overwriting the file is to long press and choose File Operations >> Permission, and Enable read/write/exec permissions.

yes i did, i think i might messed up the kl file if you can please upload the edited kl file for me so i can try copy and paste

thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks to 21productionz, and his re-mapping of the Genius button on the MT4G, I was able to re-map the keys on the MT4G Slide as well.

Pls read through before attempting.

What you need:
    An S-OFF and perm rooted MT4G Slide. (so re-map sticks)
    A file explorer capable of read/writing root directories/files. (Root Explorer is my personal fav)
    The expectation that this is a guide to re-mapping keys, so don't mess up. :p

Steps to take:

1. Using Root Explorer, go to /system/usr/keylayout
    2. Make sure Root Explorer is mounted as R/W.
    (top right button should display Mount R/O, bc you are currently in R/W mode)
    3. Long press 'doubleshot-keypad.kl'
    4. Select 'Open in Text Editor'
    5. Line 5 shows 'key 188' with FUNC_4 next to it. Replace FUNC_4 with 'SEARCH' - all caps.
    This re-maps the Genius button on the front of the phone.
    6. Scroll down a little and you will see # column 3. 'Key 184' needs to be changed from FUNC_4 to "SEARCH" as well.
    This re-maps the Genius button on the qwerty keyboard. (now you can actually use quick launch)
    7. Hit the hard menu key and select Save Changes or Save and Exit.
    8. Root Explorer will automatically create a backup of the original file you edited with the original file name ending with the extension .bak
    (doubleshot-keypad.kl.bak)
    9. Need to restart before it takes effect.

Pls be sure you have re-mapped the correct keys and entered 'SEARCH' correctly, or your buttons could fail, resulting in a paperweight - with a keyboard.

Also, I did this without editing 'doubleshot-keypad-v0.kl.'

You can also reverse the re-map by replacing 'SEARCH' back to FUNC_4.
    __________________________________________________________________________________

Some users have changed the qwerty home, menu, back, and genius buttons to DPAD values, in other words, up down left right..
    -to do so, see this thread here

Some other useful info and re-maps.

FUNC_1 = inputs ".com"
    using alt while pressing the key you remapped to FUNC_1 results in ".www"

FUNC_2 = is equivalent to pressing the SYM key next to ALT-Right.

FUNC_4 = Genius Button App

To create a 'tab' button in place of www.com

restart.
    Keymap

Hardware Keymap
    116 = Power
    115 = Vol Up
    114 = Vol Down
    102 = Home (Front)
    139 = Menu (Front)
    103 = Track Up
    108 = Track Down
    272 = Track Center (Push in)
    158 = Back (Front)
    188 = Genius (Front)
    211 = Camera Half In
    212 = Camera Full In
    215 = @
    16 = Q
    17 = W
    18 = E
    19 = R
    20 = T
    21 = Y
    22 = U
    23 = I
    24 = O
    25 = P
    14 = Del
    150 = .com
    30 = A
    31 = S
    32 = D
    33 = F
    34 = G
    35 = H
    36 = J
    37 = K
    38 = L
    28 = Enter
    42 = Left Shift
    44 = Z
    45 = X
    46 = C
    47 = V
    48 = B
    49 = N
    50 = M
    214 = ?
    54 = Right Shift
    56 = Left Alt
    186 = Home (KBD)
    187 = Menu (KBD)
    51 = ,
    57 = Spacebar
    52 = .
    185 = Back (KBD)
    184 = Genius (KBD)
    183 = SYM
    100 = Right Alt

~~~~~

Functions
    FUNC_1 = .com
    FUNC_2 = SYM
    FUNC_3 = No Visible Response
    FUNC_4 = Genius Button
    FUNC_5 = No Visible Response
    FUNC_6 = No Visible Response
    FUNC_7 = No Visible Response
    Or I would also prefer if the arrow buttons where on the keyboard itself in this order:

•Hardware Keyboard:

Right Shift = Up Arrow
    Right Alt = Down Arrow
    Keyboard Back = Left Arrow
    Keyboard Genius = Right Arrow

I liked your concept so I went ahead and gave it a go.

I created a doubleshot-keypad file with this configuration and uploaded it here: http://www.4shared.com/file/Y8uL_Tai/doubleshot-keypad.html

(This is for CM9)

Alternately, here are the keys you have to edit:

Go to KEY 54 SHIFT_RIGHT , and change it to KEY 54 DPAD_UP

Go to KEY 100 ALT_RIGHT and change it to KEY 100 DPAD_DOWN

Go to KEY 184 FUNC_4/SEARCH (depends on your ROM/current configuration) and change it to KEY 184 DPAD_RIGHT

And then go to KEY 185 BACK and change it to DPAD_LEFT.

Also, make sure you leave proper spacing and use perfect syntax in order for it to work.
    thx for help,

could you tell me instruction for the ADB, i did it long time ago when i change my boot screen on G1.

TIA

Well, I got a better method. This is a Free Root explorer alternative that you could use: https://market.android.com/details?id=xcxin.filexpert&hl=en :D

EDIT: Make sure you enable "Root Explorer" under settings.
    Did anyone ever find a list of what the other FUNC_# functions are? I really want to get rid of the www.\.com button and hopefully replace it with a tab.

restart.

.com button will now enter 5 or so spaces.. aka tab. :cool: