[MOD][REC][29/10]Data2SD -- I/O-Boost

Search This thread

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Hello!

I'm trying to flash Clean rom 3.2.2 and Data2sd and i think i'm almost done... but i have an issue that i can't get around can you please help ?

I'm getting random reboots from TF700T after installing the data2sd Mod, from what i have read this is because i have to disable Journaling... but i'm having problems to understand how.

Your explination seems quite straigth but the problem is that when i boot in TWRP... Windows 7 does not recognize the Tablet therefore i can't start the adb shell to run the commands...

Thanks in advance.

V!

You could enter the command lines through TWRP:
DISABLE JOURNALING using TWRP
1) Go to Advanced/Terminal Command
2) Navigate to the /dev/block folder and press "Select Folder".
3) Enter the following commands in the Terminal Command window from the thread you referenced.

InHuM@N

Mar 2, 2011
Disabling journaling!

This is a mod that flumpster tested and found to work fine. I have tested it to and it is fast as a shark. It is somewhat
controvertial though, someone thinks disabling journaling on the ext4 file system could cause crashes. Also if you are
plagued with random reboots it can cause data loss. I've been running it for a couple of days without issues and getting fantastic results.

Here is a description on how to do it if you want to try:

To Disable Journaling in EXT4

Go into TWRP and then open a command prompt on your computer where adb is.
Type adb shell and enter it then type the following commands one at a time.

umount /data
umount /sdcard
e2fsck -f /dev/block/mmcblk1p2
tune2fs -O ^has_journal -c 1 -i 1d -m 0 /dev/block/mmcblk1p2

Watch out for the fourth line, after tune2fs - that is a capital O not a zero. The one further along the line is a zero.

To check if it has worked type the follwing after them

tune2fs -l /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 | grep features

If you don't see has_journal in the output all is good.

You could enter the command lines through TWRP:
DISABLE JOURNALING using TWRP
1) Go to Advanced/Terminal Command
2) Navigate to the /dev/block folder and press "Select Folder".
3) Enter the following commands in the Terminal Command window from the thread you referenced.

Thank you for the reply... i'm getting e2fsck: need terminal for interactive repairs.

Can you guide me through this issue?

HTCCT

Feb 6, 2010
Cologne
It's ok, but give this a try:
e2fsck -f -p /dev/block/mmcblk1p2

Hey :)

At first i have used the enhanced data2sd mod and it seems to have worked. I have a /sdcardi folder where data is stored and a normal /sdcard folder but my random write with androbench is still 0.2x. Somebody has told me to disable jouurnaling because i am on clean rom inheritance 3.4.6.

now i have entered the lines of 1st post in twrp and it says comand unmount...unknown or something similiar. Then i have the same problem like the user before, which you have told he should use the command above us (quote). If i use this alternative command something happens (text runs up). Same with the "tune2fs..." line and logically with the last line.

Has it worked ? How can i check it ? Please help :) i have still 0.2x at androbench

Last edited:

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Hey :)

At first i have used the enhanced data2sd mod and it seems to have worked. I have a /sdcardi folder where data is stored and a normal /sdcard folder but my random write with androbench is still 0.2x. Somebody has told me to disable jouurnaling because i am on clean rom inheritance 3.4.6.

now i have entered the lines of 1st post in twrp and it says comand unmount...unknown or something similiar. Then i have the same problem like the user before, which you have told he should use the command above us (quote). If i use this alternative command something happens (text runs up). Same with the "tune2fs..." line and logically with the last line.

Has it worked ? How can i check it ? Please help :) i have still 0.2x at androbench

If you want to know if it's using your sdcard or not, power off the device, remove the card, then power it backup, if you see the error " encryption issue and press here to do factory reset" then you are using data2sd. To clear this error, jre insert the sdcard then hold down your power button until your device reboot. What kind of sdcard do you have??

HTCCT

Feb 6, 2010
Cologne
It's ok, but give this a try:
e2fsck -f -p /dev/block/mmcblk1p2

If you want to know if it's using your sdcard or not, power off the device, remove the card, then power it backup, if you see the error " encryption issue and press here to do factory reset" then you are using data2sd. To clear this error, jre insert the sdcard then hold down your power button until your device reboot. What kind of sdcard do you have??

I am using a 16gb class 10 micro sd. The problem is that i have multiple lags (most at play store and a very slow downloadspeed).
And androbench sya my random write speed is still 0.2.x and not above 0.4. That means no changes for me with data2sd

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
I am using a 16gb class 10 micro sd. The problem is that i have multiple lags (most at play store and a very slow downloadspeed).
And androbench sya my random write speed is still 0.2.x and not above 0.4. That means no changes for me with data2sd

Seems like you have other issue, not data2sd, did you install Crossbreeder/lagfix etc...?These can help or can ruin your smooth experiences, let disable data2sd for now by reflash a regular kernel and take it from there.

HTCCT

Feb 6, 2010
Cologne
Seems like you have other issue, not data2sd, did you install Crossbreeder/lagfix etc...?These can help or can ruin your smooth experiences, let disable data2sd for now by reflash a regular kernel and take it from there.

Yes i have installed lagfix and other mods from clean rom. Ok ! That means i have to wipe my internal and external storage and have to flash cleanrom without any other stuff. and after that i should return to data2sd etc. ?

What is with turning off jouarnaling ? is it needed etc. ?

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Yes i have installed lagfix and other mods from clean rom. Ok ! That means i have to wipe my internal and external storage and have to flash cleanrom without any other stuff. and after that i should return to data2sd etc. ?

What is with turning off jouarnaling ? is it needed etc. ?

yes, do a clean install with normal mode first, MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP ALL YOUR STUFF then boot to twrp -> wipe ->factory reset -> internal -->format sdcard, now install cromi 3.4.6 and use Hund kernel version 2.0, don't install lagfix or Crossbreeder. We can do all that later on.

HTCCT

Feb 6, 2010
Cologne

yes, do a clean install with normal mode first, MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP ALL YOUR STUFF then boot to twrp -> wipe ->factory reset -> internal -->format sdcard, now install cromi 3.4.6 and use Hund kernel version 2.0, don't install lagfix or Crossbreeder. We can do all that later on.

Ok but a backup isnt needed because i havent installed anything (i have thought something like this ;))
And do you mean format/partion sdcard new ? or wipe/delete all ?

Last question : Is it needed to install cromi4.x-data2sd.zip or is mount-data2sd.zip enough ? or do you mean another data2sd.zip ?

Is journaling still needed or can i forget it ?

Last edited:

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Ok but a backup isnt needed because i havent installed anything (i have thought something like this ;))
And do you mean format/partion sdcard new ? or wipe/delete all ?

Last question : Is it needed to install cromi4.x-data2sd.zip or is mount-data2sd.zip enough ? or do you mean another data2sd.zip ?

Is journaling still needed or can i forget it ?

In TWRP in the "wipe" mode, you want to do 1) factory reset 2)Internal 3)format sdcard
Don't use cromi4.3.x-data2sd, just use mount-data2sd.zip then install one of hund kernel version 2-data2sd.
You don't need to use journaling, cause it's make your sdcard unstable.

Reactions: HTCCT

HTCCT

Feb 6, 2010
Cologne
In TWRP in the "wipe" mode, you want to do 1) factory reset 2)Internal 3)format sdcard
Don't use cromi4.3.x-data2sd, just use mount-data2sd.zip then install one of hund kernel version 2-data2sd.

I have wiped everything and now everything works much better. I havent installed any mods (like lagfix etc.) but now its nearly perfect.
The thing is just that i cant see my "old internal storage", i mean the 64gb built in of the asus tablet. In settings at storage i see my 16gb ext4 storage, which is actually my internal storage and the little fat32 storage about 156 mb. But not the built in.

In file manager i can see it. I mean now i have a 16gb internal storage and 64gb "gone" storage ?!
It should be in spite of visible under settigns/storage ??

Last edited:

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
I have wiped everything and now everything works much better. I havent installed any mods (like lagfix etc.) but now its nearly perfect.
The thing is just that i cant see my "old internal storage", i mean the 64gb built in of the asus tablet. In settings at storage i see my 16gb ext4 storage, which is actually my internal storage and the little fat32 storage about 156 mb. But not the built in.

In file manager i can see it. I mean now i have a 16gb internal storage and 64gb "gone" storage ?!
It should be in spite of visible under settigns/storage ??

You can see the real internal storage by using "root explorer", ES file explorer or something similar, you should see /sdcard (ext4), sdcardi(real internal), in /Removable, you should see Micro sdcard (fat32) and SD (dock sdcard). You won't see your internal storage in settings->storage. BTW your fat32 should be atleast 10 gb, so you can keep rom/kernel,all your backups and what ever you need.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda premium

HTCCT

Feb 6, 2010
Cologne

You can see the real internal storage by using "root explorer", ES file explorer or something similar, you should see /sdcard (ext4), sdcardi(real internal), in /Removable, you should see Micro sdcard (fat32) and SD (dock sdcard). You won't see your internal storage in settings->storage. BTW your fat32 should be atleast 10 gb, so you can keep rom/kernel,all your backups and what ever you need.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda premium

Yes its like you descirbed ;) thanks man !
Yeah you are right with the 10gb xD i have stupidly made just 156 MB :D but i have a second micro sd card and there can i store such thinks and if needed i can put it into the tablet :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Data2SD MOD: Moves /data partition to External SD, noticeable performance increase

All files attached are flashable .zips Installation instructions updated.
    clemsyns cpu OC 1800 kernel is out! Good stuff!

Symlink added to /data2 (internal storage now found as /sdcardi)

You will need to disable journaling using the guide in post #3 if you are on CleanROM 2.1 to 2.3
    as the rom does this as standard. If not you will get error!

I have had nothing to do with the development of this MOD, all credit goes to TweakerL

Also a huge thanks to scrosler for the fantastic CleanROM

Thanks to clemsyn for the amazing kernel!

Feel free to go to original thread and give your thanks: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1803252
    and also to seek information, the thread is full of it.

What/Why/How?

This MOD was developed to aid the I/O-issues the Transformer Prime has and the Infinity inherited. Since it was a known fact that the internal
    storage was slow/poor, TweakerL decided to try mounting the /data partition to the MicroSD card. Hence an obvious necessity
    will be that you have a fast MicroSD card. Several have been tried and there is no real conclution as to what is the best in regards
    to manufacturer or class (a class 6 card can have better random write speeds than a class 10 card), I use a Sandisk 64GB UHS-I
    class 10 card and so does several others with good results.

The way this works is that you change the ramdisk so that it mounts /data to the second partition of your micro sd. Your internal
    storage (the old /data partition) will be mounted as /data2.

Requirements

1. Unlocked and Rooted

2. You MUST repartition your Micro SD. The .zip you flash will mount /data to mmcblk1p2, which basically says "mount /data to the
    second partition in the external SD." also, the ramdisk expects that partition to be ext4, so essentially:

Make sure you have an external SD with at least two partitions and that the second partition is formatted to ext4. I use fat32 on the first partition
    because it's recognized by most devices.You will also need to make both partitions "primary" partitions. I personally use Gparted to repartition
    my stuff, but feel free to use whatever you like. Even if you're on windows you can still use gparted by using virtualbox, or you can use a tool
    called MiniTool Partition Wizard, I haven't tried it myself but it is reported to be good.

3. Research your Micro SD, find out if it has good random write speeds. There is no use in this mod if you card is slower than your internal
    memory.

4. Although it's not a requirement it is a recommendation to have gone through the Nvflash procedure. It has saved alot of people from bricks
    and is just great to have.

5. Verify that the .zip is compatible with your ROM, if it is not listed feel free to ask for a version for your preferred ROM.

Disclaimer

I take no responsibility for whatever happens to your device using this MOD, it is flashing a kernel so take precautions!

Installation

1. Boot to recovery, flash your preferred ROM

2. Reboot to initial setup (Don't run through)

3. Reboot to recovery, flash the matching Data2SD.zip

4. Disable journaling (Optional on all ROMs except CleanROM)

5. Reboot

When it reboots you will get a blue progress bar and it will be just as you flashed a new rom, you'll get the device setup screen.With my
    MicroSD I get about twice the Random Write speed with this mod; Internal=0.20mb/s External=0.40mb/s . We will have a look at doubling
    these figures further down (I currently have Random write speed average of 0.8mb/s).

Reverting

Flash a ROM

Feel free to ask any questions!

MD5 checksum for cm10-1025data2sd : 78b9e62e27204efeb0bdd3c926c4a30a

MD5 checksum for CleanROM2-3Data2SD: 60eef4e666ec97216ee0801189233719

MD5 checksum for clemsyn's 600 OC kernel ver8: e07b4a5a5f7ae2976a86460e5309199a

MD5 checksum for clemsyn's 650 OC kernel ver8: cf6d36da2d26db2e72c1c110a87cad7f

MD5 checksum for clemsyn's 650 OC kernel ver22: 1ec0e9c5c5ac7b012e3095f03f7dd234
    Disabling journaling!

This is a mod that flumpster tested and found to work fine. I have tested it to and it is fast as a shark. It is somewhat
    controvertial though, someone thinks disabling journaling on the ext4 file system could cause crashes. Also if you are
    plagued with random reboots it can cause data loss. I've been running it for a couple of days without issues and getting fantastic results.

Here is a description on how to do it if you want to try:

To Disable Journaling in EXT4

Go into TWRP and then open a command prompt on your computer where adb is.
    Type adb shell and enter it then type the following commands one at a time.

umount /data
    umount /sdcard
    tune2fs -O ^has_journal -c 1 -i 1d -m 0 /dev/block/mmcblk1p2

Watch out for the fourth line, after tune2fs - that is a capital O not a zero. The one further along the line is a zero.

To check if it has worked type the follwing after them

tune2fs -l /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 | grep features

If you don't see has_journal in the output all is good.
    Modded Recovery

Enough with the screenshots, I think people know what it's all about by now!

TWRP 2.3.1.0 Data2SD Edition

Modded by flumpster, thanks a million!

Attached is a version of the latest TWRP recovery, the only mod done is changing where
    it mounts /data so it backs up the correct partitions!

Backup to External will backup to your first partition (fat32 maybe) and backup to internal will
    backup to your ext4/2 partition.It is recommended to back up to external which is the fat partition.
    If you backup to internal which is now the ext partition and something goes wrong with that partition
    you wont have access to your backup.

Instructions:

You must remove the old twrp settings from your prime for this to work correctly. Delete any
    TWRP folders that are in sdcard, data2/media and removable/sdcard. If you have backups there
    already that you want to keep leave the backups folder in the TWRP directories and then just
    delete the files that are in the root of the TWRP folder to get rid of the settings left behind.

If you are on a windows pc just extract the zip somewhere and run the bat file and then follow the
    onscreen instructions. It will flash it for you. If not, navigatate to the fastboot folder, find the .blob
    and flash the usual way with fastboot.

I have tested it myself but would love some feedback on this as I am currently the only one testing.
    I followed the instruction,

(1) Partitioned my SDCard (ext4 =6GB, FAT=23GB)
    (2) Downloaded the Data2SD zip extracted and installed boot.blob.
    (3) 3 turned off journaling
    (4) Installed the New Kernel,

I get a message quoting some encryption error asking to shut off the device, can someone help me out with this, and it is the third time this has happened?

thanks and take care,
    tyfoxx

I think this has to do with journaling . I assume you are on CleanROM 2.3? Did you flash "New Kernel" from this OP
    or the original one from the other thread!

Either way I would wipe and install again:

1. Do the usual wipes from recovery (factory reset+dalvik cache), wipe the ext4 patition of your microSD as well.

2. Flash CleanROM 2.3

3. Either use CleanROM 2.3 Data2SD.zip unzip and follow instructions from OP or Flash the modded clemsyn kernel
    from OP. The last one being the easiest.

4. Disable journaling.

I have done everything except for disabling journaling. I can't get my computer to see my Infinity when using adb shell. It just says error no device. Even after I installed the Universal Naked drivers. Any ideas?

Have a look at these posts, especially the bottom one. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1797692&page=27
    The mysterious CheckROM that you've mentioned twice is just CleanROM, right?