Screenshot_2017-08-07-08-08-22.png
    204.3 KB · Views: 803
Reactions: gubacsek

gubacsek

Jun 18, 2010

toknitup420

Jan 8, 2011
boston
Unfortunately after upgrading to DP3/4 any time I flash the factory N image (ANY factory N image) and try to boot TWRP, TWRP always sends me to a black screen that forces me to hard reset. After the upgrade I'm unable to downgrade and boot TWRP, even after flashing factory images.
That's cuz you need to flash it to both slots.

mannyalba

Feb 25, 2015
Santo Domingo
Follow these steps and you"ll be just fine, working well on the Pixel XL.

Follow the step below.
1. Rename "audio.effects.conf" in /system/vendor/etc to "audio.effects.conf.bak"
2. Download ARISE 3.09. https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862712061 and save it to "Internal Memory"
3. Donwload "arise_customize.prop" https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-0lMNJzHcabRFc3SHYxclFYNlk/view?usp=sharing, and save it to "Internal Memory". This is my prop, and it only flashes the V4A core only. If you want to flash additional stuff you can modify the prop further before you flash.
4. fastboot to TWRP to flash ARISE 3.09.
5. Upon reboot, make sure the access to the storage is enabled for V4A.

Hope this works for you, too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170807-193545.jpg
    Screenshot_20170807-193545.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 553

evilryry

Sep 15, 2013
Has anyone tried to install Dolby Atmos on O with this? My setup for Arise is pretty much only utilizing V4A/Dolby Atmos and Deut 3.0.9 doesn't have it built in like the newest do. Any suggestions?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT:
    My mod is not needed anymore!
    Everything is fine now, the TWRP guys made the decryption in their latest version (3.2.1 at the time of this post) possible, even with android 8.1.
    Go ahead and download it from twrp.me. and don't forget to thank them, because it was a LOT of hard work! Google made big changes under the hood, and it took a lot of patience and endurance to adapt.
    Big up to @Dees_Troy and the rest of the team!

Hey People! It seems, that after weeks of trying, hundreds of reboots, countless tests, I can present you a working version of TWRP 3.1. for the Pixel with Android O Developer Preview 4.
    Edit: and it also works on the final Android O.

But let's not rush into things.. First of all a DISCLAIMER:
    This is a TEST release, you are using it at your own risk. If your phone gets damaged in any way, nobody else but you can be held responsible. If you do not agree, stop reading and don't use this mod!

I would like to give credits to the people who helped me, and made all this possible:
    First of all, @Chainfire, who did more then you would think :D Among other things, he was the one who showed me how to use tune2fs and reset quotas on /data, which makes it possible to mount it. Without this , I couldn't even start. So thank you very much!
    Of course where would we be without @Dees_Troy and the other TWRP guys (i.e.: CaptainThrowback, nkk71, steadfasterX, _that...), who created and maintain TWRP, and demonstrated some serious patience on IRC , where I was asking them for help. For days. For weeks :D Thank you guys! You helped a lot!

What is this "mod"?
    This is stock, normal TWRP 3.1 compiled from source, for the Google Pixel (sailfish) with some small tweaks to make it possible to mount /data, and decrypt it.

Can you use it on the Pixel XL (marlin)?
    I don't know... I don't have a Pixel XL to test. If you want, you can buy me one and I'll be glad to compile, prepare, and test it for you.
    EDIT: Chainfire "tested a few zip installs" and those were working for him on the Pixel XL, so maybe it is worth a try guys! - thanks for this CF! -

What happens behind the curtains?
    I made some modifications to a script that prepared stuff to make the decryption of /data possible. Now it does a bit more... It copies libraries and binaries from /system and /vendor partitions to /system and /vendor folders, so they can be un-mounted (needed for backup). Basically, the recovery uses the real files/commands of the currently installed android os to prepare and mount /data partition (to make it ready for decrypting).
    I updated the fstab file, so TWRP knows what to mount where.
    I also changed a few things in the order how services are started during TWRP boot.
    This is mostly everything. I was only changing external parts/files/tools of TWRP. The original code, the core is left intact.

How well was it tested?
    I have only 1 phone, the pixel. I have only tested on this one phone, and it works for me. Of course I can't be certain it will for you, but you will see if you try it :D
    I tested decrypting of /data, flashing a zip file, making a backup. Didn't dare to test restore yet :p

How can you try it?
    This is not a flashable zip, this is a bootable image. So to use it, you have to put the phone into fastboot mode, and fastboot boot the image.
    1. reboot the phone into fastboot mode
    - if you have adb: adb reboot bootloader
    - if you don't, then turn off the phone and press volume down while turning it on

2. open a terminal and issue the following command:
    Code:
    fastboot boot <path to your twrp image here>
    (for example: fastboot boot /home/you/twrp-3-1-pixel-bootable-mod.img)

What about a flashable zip?
    I had some quick test runs only for now, and it was working for me (flashing the zip, rebooting to recovery) until I flashed supersu, or rebooted the phone to android. I will need some more time to work on this, and see what is going wrong. So please be patient, I will try to do something, but can't guarantee it will work. Soon. Anytime.

Enough of the talk, you can download the image file from here:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120753892

Good luck and don't forget to report back!
    I will try to do my best to help you, but I have a family and I inted to spend most of my time with them. Please be patient!
    If you like my work, you can buy me a beer, it is damn hot here right now, and I would love to drink one ;)

Edit: Because I'm a noob and couldn't push my changes to the gerrits, I created a diff file with all my changes.
    If you are checking it, please take into account, that I was in a hurry, and there was a point where I said "F*** it!" and I copied ALL the libs and bins from /system and /vendor :D
    Anyway, here it is : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=817550096634795329
    For now, flash back stock boot image ( grab it at https://desktop.firmware.mobi/ if you don't have it handy) and fastboot boot TWRP to re-flash SuperSU.

I'm looking at a fix for fastboot flashing TWRP, but these issues are the very hardest to debug due to being so early in the boot process.
    I've only tested installing a few ZIPs but that seems to work fine (on Pixel XL).

I've looked at your modified script and I see the tune2fs commands and copying /system and /vendor files, but I don't see where you actually mount/decrypt /data. Or is this still handled by the TWRP binary?
    Can we get a flashable zip of this? I'd love to replace RC2

I'll see what I can do tonight...
    But even if it works, it will still be RC2 :p

Follow the step below.
    1. Rename "audio.effects.conf" in /system/vendor/etc to "audio.effects.conf.bak"
    2. Download ARISE 3.09. https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=529152257862712061 and save it to "Internal Memory"
    3. Donwload "arise_customize.prop" https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-0lMNJzHcabRFc3SHYxclFYNlk/view?usp=sharing, and save it to "Internal Memory". This is my prop, and it only flashes the V4A core only. If you want to flash additional stuff you can modify the prop further before you flash.
    4. fastboot to TWRP to flash ARISE 3.09.
    5. Upon reboot, make sure the access to the storage is enabled for V4A.

Hope this works for you, too.