[MOD][RK3188] MTCFlatRadio - Modified MTC Radio App

Search This thread

pathfinder78

Jul 16, 2016
Berlin
I just bought an Android Radio from Pumpkin (Model RQ0264). So, I'm quite satisified with the device itself from technical point of view. The original radio app is also usable, but the user interface is a color mix and not really nice to see in my opinion. So I decided to change the skin because the radio app is used 95% of my time in the car and this is also the app which is visible at the start of the device.

Following improvements:
- The main information is now centered on the screen: Station name or frequence, Radio text and PTY information.
- Presets at the bottom
- Radio frequence search and selection at the top
This version is intented to be clean and not overloaded with useless features. So the modded version doesn't include the following features of the original app:
- No extra list for all stored programs (available in the original app right to the 6 round station buttons)
- No PTY list (Who is using this?)
- No circular frequence indicator, only the linear one. I don't see a reason to have double information.

This radio app should work on RK3188 models. To install this, you have to replace the original app. This is only possible on a rooted device or on a device with a modified custom ROM (e.g. Malaysk ROM).
For MTCB/MTCC devices there is a Bluetooth app from me in similar design available: MTCFlatBluetooth

Changes:

v1.00 (22.Aug 2016, stable, only MTCB/MTCC devices)
- works on both resolutions

v1.01 (20.Sep2016, MTCD, for test purposes)
- improved frequence bar
- seems to be working well so far, please report bugs because I don't own this kind of device

v1.02 (21.Sep2016, MTCB/MTCC, for test purposes)
- improved frequence bar
- stereo indicator added
- TP indicator (traffic program) added
- numberic input of frequences added (see screenshots)
- tested on 1024x600 device, needs to be tested on 800x480. I created one layout file for both resolutions to simplify further updates for all device types. You could see some differences in comparison to v1.00 - please check.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-09-21-20-19-49.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-09-21-20-19-49.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 31,985
  • Screenshot_2016-09-21-20-19-30.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-09-21-20-19-30.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 31,882
  • Screenshot_2016-09-21-20-18-23.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-09-21-20-18-23.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 31,636
  • MTCFlatRadio_MTCB_1.00.apk
    1,007.2 KB · Views: 6,390
  • MTCFlatRadio_MTCD_1.01.apk
    627.1 KB · Views: 5,258
  • MTCFlatRadio_MTCB_1.02.apk
    775 KB · Views: 15,532
Last edited:

tipouce

Feb 12, 2011
Le Mans
Hi.
First, sorry for my bad english ;)

Thanks for your apk. It works on my new MTCC (not installed yet) head unit.
It's the only one i found on XDA that works well. Others do crash the launcher

My model :
S07
MTCC-KLD6-V2.91
1024x600

I have only one issu, which is not really a problem, it's about the freqency bar : i show only the fm 65-90Mhz instead 875-107 regardless the setting of the headunit.

Best regards.

pathfinder78

Jul 16, 2016
Berlin
Hi.
I have only one issu, which is not really a problem, it's about the freqency bar : i show only the fm 65-90Mhz instead 875-107 regardless the setting of the headunit.

Thanks for your feedback. I found the issue in my apk file and uploaded it now. Could you please test the updated version "2016-08-17 MTCFlatRadio.apk", if the problem with the frequence bar is solved now?

Reactions: thor_1979

tipouce

Feb 12, 2011
Le Mans
Hi,

Good job. the frequency bar issu is solved as you can see in the video.

https://youtu.be/hQVzHPDVpmE

But maybe you could take a look at the scrolling text : for the long line of text, the restart of the scrolling is not natural and "it stings a bit the eyes" (sorry, that's a french expression = that's a bit annoying).

But apart this little issu, your app is very nice as it is.

Best regards.

pathfinder78

Jul 16, 2016
Berlin
Hi,
But maybe you could take a look at the scrolling text : for the long line of text, the restart of the scrolling is not natural and "it stings a bit the eyes"
Thanks for the video. It seems that the radio text is updated several times and if it is so, the text is starting from the beginning and break the smooth scrolling. The only solution I have is to remove the scrolling. If the radio text is too long, the text will be wrapped to an additional line now.

Reactions: rhacy

tipouce

Feb 12, 2011
Le Mans
Thanks for the video. It seems that the radio text is updated several times and if it is so, the text is starting from the beginning and break the smooth scrolling. The only solution I have is to remove the scrolling. If the radio text is too long, the text will be wrapped to an additional line now.

Hi pathfinder78,

Thanks for your job on the mod.
Now, all works good for me.

Best regards.

vettn

Jul 14, 2008
Installed it last night. looks good, but all I get is static on all stations. I tried changing the frequency in the settings to both America 1 and 2 and nothing has changed.

Reactions: AML276

pathfinder78

Jul 16, 2016
Berlin
Installed it last night. looks good, but all I get is static on all stations. I tried changing the frequency in the settings to both America 1 and 2 and nothing has changed.
What does it mean 'static on all stations'? Could you explain the problem more in detail, please? Is the frequency search not working (arrow button left and right) or can't you switch between different frequency bands?

Gesendet von meinem Mi-4c mit Tapatalk

vettn

Jul 14, 2008
What does it mean 'static on all stations'? Could you explain the problem more in detail, please? Is the frequency search not working (arrow button left and right) or can't you switch between different frequency bands?

no radio stations come in at all. just noise. as if there was no antenna attached to the radio. I can scan or manually select stations. I loaded the original radio app back and the stations are working again.

pathfinder78

Jul 16, 2016
Berlin
no radio stations come in at all. just noise. as if there was no antenna attached to the radio. I can scan or manually select stations. I loaded the original radio app back and the stations are working again.
What kind of RK3188 device do you have? MTCB, MTCC or MTCD? If you have the last one, maybe the app is not working. Could you provide me your originally apk file or a link to a working ROM file of your device? I will have a look on it.

vettn

Jul 14, 2008
What kind of RK3188 device do you have? MTCB, MTCC or MTCD? If you have the last one, maybe the app is not working. Could you provide me your originally apk file or a link to a working ROM file of your device? I will have a look on it.

it is the MTCD, with the last (august 10 I think) update from Joying. I'll try to get the original apk in a little while. or the rom is here here

psxsnake

Jul 6, 2004
Milan
I just bought an Android Radio from Pumpkin (Model RQ0264). So, I'm quite satisified with the device itself from technical point of view. The original radio app is also usable, but the user interface is a color mix and not really nice to see in my opinion. So I decided to change the skin because the radio app is used 95% of my time in the car and this is also the app which is visible at the start of the device.

Following improvements:
- The main information is now centered on the screen: Station name or frequence, Radio text and PTY information.
- Presets at the bottom
This version is intented to be clean and not overloaded with useless features. So the modded version doesn't include the following features of the original app:
- No numberic input of frequences
- No extra list for all stored programs (available in the original app right to the 6 round station buttons)
- No circular frequence indicator, only the linear one. I don't see a reason to have double information.

This radio app should work on other RK3188 models, please try. This version is optimized for 1024x600 screen resolution only. To install this, you have to replace the original app. This is only possible on a rooted device or on a device with a modified custom ROM (e.g. Malaysk ROM).

Update 2016-08-18:
- Selected channel is additionaly marked with a red indicator at bottom
- Scrolling radiotext removed, in case of a long radio text it will be wrapped to a new line

I would like to use your "radio skin" on my Pumpkin RQ0264, but i dont know the right path (is the 5.1.1 version)
thanks

Last edited:

typos1

Apr 3, 2007
UK
Can you guys post some links or pictures of your units and maybe links to any firmware you may have ? - It turns out that the MTCC units are actually MTCB headunits with renamed and updated MCUs meaning that the software is interchangeable.

Can a mod move this post to the MTCB/MTCC forums ?

halloj

Jun 1, 2008
Installed it in Malaysk Ver. 3 MTCB 5.11. Looks really nice. Sounds good. Thank you.

pathfinder78

Jul 16, 2016
Berlin
it is the MTCD, with the last (august 10 I think) update from Joying. I'll try to get the original apk in a little while. or the rom is here here
I extracted the Radio app from your ROM file and yepp, the radio app for MTCD models is not compatible with MTCB/MTCC models. I added this information to my description, but I can't update the layout of the radio app for MTCD models without to much time. Sorry to say this, but many thanks for your test and information that this is not working for your model.

pathfinder78

Jul 16, 2016
Berlin
I would like to use your "radio skin" on my Pumpkin RQ0264, but i dont know the right path (is the 5.1.1 version)
thanks

You have 2 options:
- The easy one: Install Malaysk ROM for MTCB units http://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/mtcb-software-development/rom-malaysk-roms-lollipop-5-1-1-mtcb-t3394209
- The other one: Modify the Original ROM from Pumkin and remove the original radio app inside the ROM. After that you can install your own radio app and also the original again, if needed. This way I have done because the Malaysk ROM was running slow on my device. If I have time, I will provide a instruction for this - but there are out there many descriptions how to modify a ROM and specially a RK3188 ROM.

psxsnake

Jul 6, 2004
Milan
You have 2 options:
- The easy one: Install Malaysk ROM for MTCB units http://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/mtcb-software-development/rom-malaysk-roms-lollipop-5-1-1-mtcb-t3394209
- The other one: Modify the Original ROM from Pumkin and remove the original radio app inside the ROM. After that you can install your own radio app and also the original again, if needed. This way I have done because the Malaysk ROM was running slow on my device. If I have time, I will provide a instruction for this - but there are out there many descriptions how to modify a ROM and specially a RK3188 ROM.

So I can't do on the fly :D with root explorer? hehe

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Following improvements:
    - Presets at the bottom

This radio app should work on RK3188 models. To install this, you have to replace the original app. This is only possible on a rooted device or on a device with a modified custom ROM (e.g. Malaysk ROM).
    For MTCB/MTCC devices there is a Bluetooth app from me in similar design available: MTCFlatBluetooth

Changes:

v1.00 (22.Aug 2016, stable, only MTCB/MTCC devices)
    - works on both resolutions

v1.01 (20.Sep2016, MTCD, for test purposes)
    - improved frequence bar
    - seems to be working well so far, please report bugs because I don't own this kind of device

v1.02 (21.Sep2016, MTCB/MTCC, for test purposes)
    - improved frequence bar
    - stereo indicator added
    - TP indicator (traffic program) added
    - numberic input of frequences added (see screenshots)
    - tested on 1024x600 device, needs to be tested on 800x480. I created one layout file for both resolutions to simplify further updates for all device types. You could see some differences in comparison to v1.00 - please check.
    Great app, exactly what i needed to replace stock.
    would be great if you had a Bluetooth app version to match,
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I also have a Bluetooth app modified in the same layout (only for MTCB/MTCC) like the radio app. If there is interest for it, I will upload it next week.
    Hi, if you want to install this radio you must have a rooted ROM (either stock or custom). You can root your unit with Kingoroot, after rooting your radio you have to install a root file explorer (es file explorer). Next you have to enable root option on the es file explorer, navigate to /system/app/MTCradio4 rename original file found in that folder (ie: MTCradio4.apk to MTCRadio4backup.apk), then you have to copy the flat radio apk into that folder and move the original apk (which was rename) to another location (as a backup file in case of something goes wrong) reset your unit and ....voila! You have a new radio.

BTW: If you have a MTCD unit you must change attributes of the new apk to 644 before reseting.

Yeah, latest stock ROM for Volsmart HU.

If I select the apk it says it can not open it. If i try to install it using the installer app, it churns on it and just returns "not installed". I downloaded it multiple ways and put it in several folders on internal and external storage.
    Same situation here - I have a MTCD and it would be great if you can also optimize the app for this radio!

I created a package for MTCD devices now. Please test this and send me some feedback and screenshots. If it's not working, please keep in mind that I don't have this device. I will fix problems when I receive some feedback from you. Enjoy.
    Hi.

Thanks for your feedback. I found the issue in my apk file and uploaded it now. Could you please test the updated version "2016-08-17 MTCFlatRadio.apk", if the problem with the frequence bar is solved now?