[MOD][ROOT] Increase Picture/Video Recording Quality (Updated: 5/16/2013).

Search This thread

TRF-Inferno

Dec 26, 2008
Carrollton, TX
*Credits to mohit1234 for the instructions and guide*

I have created a flashable ZIP file to replace the First's media_profiles.xml. The changes to the file are the following:

- Increased the amount of available memory for image decoding to 40 MB.
- Increase all image encoding values to 100.

Requirements
  • Custom Recovery
  • Root

Instructions
  • Copy ZIP file to SD card.
  • Boot into custom recovery.
  • Flash ZIP file.
  • Wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache.
  • Reboot.

I have already tested this on my First, and as far as differences to the image quality, I will leave it up to you guys to decide if it makes a difference or not. The only quantitative measurement I noticed was that 5 MP pictures taken prior to the modification was roughly 1.8 MB, while the pictures taken after the file was replaced is now around 2.4 MB, so hopefully this means there is not as much image compression taking place.

Please provide feedback if this modification makes any difference to your pictures/video recordings!

RCon227

Jul 17, 2012
Is this mod specific to the First's stock 4.1 camera? I have the stock 4.2 camera on mine so I don't want to flash it blindly.

Sent from my HTC first using xda app-developers app

cderrick14

May 14, 2012
Guelph
The phone came in yesterday, and is it ever a great phone.
Looks very nice, the display just pops.
I was able to unlock it with the method shown, so that saved $25 which is awesome.

Overall, it is a really nice phone and one that I only paid $160 for. It really is too bad there is such little interest/support in it.

russian392

Apr 30, 2012
Simpsonville, SC
How did you get stock 4.2? I on 4.1 could you please post the rom stock 4.2, so I can update mine to 4.2

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

Galaxy ace wich is a garbage got a lot of support there's even teams porting kit kat to it but for our htc first nothing, I really want to port but i don't know how:crying:

THERE IS NO 4.2 OR 4.3 OR 4.4. THE PHONE HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED AND WILL NOT BE SUPORTED BY ATT OR HTC
so therefore NO updates.
and DO NOT COMPLAIN PLEASE because we have 1 dev working on multiple devices and supporting others. want to know how hard it is give it a go.

henry_acevedo

Mar 15, 2012
Panama
THERE IS NO 4.2 OR 4.3 OR 4.4. THE PHONE HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED AND WILL NOT BE SUPORTED BY ATT OR HTC
so therefore NO updates.
and DO NOT COMPLAIN PLEASE because we have 1 dev working on multiple devices and supporting others. want to know how hard it is give it a go.

I know but How people says that they got 4.2 stock? I know is already a dev working on it..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *Credits to mohit1234 for the instructions and guide*

I have created a flashable ZIP file to replace the First's media_profiles.xml. The changes to the file are the following:

- Increased the amount of available memory for image decoding to 40 MB.
    - Increase all image encoding values to 100.

Requirements
    • Custom Recovery
    • Root

Instructions
    • Copy ZIP file to SD card.
    • Boot into custom recovery.
    • Flash ZIP file.
    • Wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache.
    • Reboot.

I have already tested this on my First, and as far as differences to the image quality, I will leave it up to you guys to decide if it makes a difference or not. The only quantitative measurement I noticed was that 5 MP pictures taken prior to the modification was roughly 1.8 MB, while the pictures taken after the file was replaced is now around 2.4 MB, so hopefully this means there is not as much image compression taking place.

Please provide feedback if this modification makes any difference to your pictures/video recordings!
    Absolutely, please see links below. The first picture is pre-mod, the second one is after.

http://i41.tinypic.com/34eqkg4.jpg
    http://i42.tinypic.com/v8g6k7.jpg
    The phone came in yesterday, and is it ever a great phone.
    Looks very nice, the display just pops.
    I was able to unlock it with the method shown, so that saved $25 which is awesome.

Overall, it is a really nice phone and one that I only paid $160 for. It really is too bad there is such little interest/support in it.
    I know but How people says that they got 4.2 stock? I know is already a dev working on it..

Okay. Maybe you just don't know. But apps within the 4.1-4.3 range are compatible so the have STOCK APPS. Not the stock ROM.

Sent from my HTC first using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone