[Mod][Root Only]Turn on Gmail Dark Theme

Search This thread

sic0048

Jun 25, 2010
I've given up on waiting for the official release of gmail's dark mode. Luckily it is a very easy process to turn dark mode on in the existing app.

You will need a file program that can access the root files. Something like Root Explorer.

1) Open /data/data/com.google.android.gm/shared_prefs/FlagPrefs.xml with the text editor option and look for
Code:
boolean name="DarkThemeSupport__dark_theme_support" value="false"
2) Change it to
Code:
boolean name="DarkThemeSupport__dark_theme_support" value="true"
3) Save and exit
4) Close Gmail and remove from recent apps.
5) Restart gmail. You should now have the "Theme" option located under Settings/General Settings/Theme. Choose "Dark" or "System default" if your main theme is set to dark mode.
6) Enjoy dark gmail in all it's glory.

Please note - this mod will not survive an app update. So if you update the app via the Play Store and the new version does not have dark mode, you will need to redo this mod.

Last edited:

sic0048

Jun 25, 2010
Thank you finding this. Unfortunately it is not working for me. I'm running Android 9 (DU) and have Gmail 2019.09.15.270135155.

I'm not surprised that it isn't working on Android 9. Dark mode is an Android 10 feature. So even though this mode turns the dark mode support on for Gmail, if the underlying OS doesn't support it, then it obviously doesn't work.

Reactions: creeve4

creeve4

Jan 5, 2011
Bountiful
I'm not surprised that it isn't working on Android 9. Dark mode is an Android 10 feature. So even though this mode turns the dark mode support on for Gmail, if the underlying OS doesn't support it, then it obviously doesn't work.

My mistake. I assumed that Gmail dark mode worked on pie like dark mode for other Google apps does.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've given up on waiting for the official release of gmail's dark mode. Luckily it is a very easy process to turn dark mode on in the existing app.

You will need a file program that can access the root files. Something like Root Explorer.

1) Open /data/data/com.google.android.gm/shared_prefs/FlagPrefs.xml with the text editor option and look for
    Code:
    boolean name="DarkThemeSupport__dark_theme_support" value="false"
    2) Change it to
    Code:
    boolean name="DarkThemeSupport__dark_theme_support" value="true"
    3) Save and exit
    4) Close Gmail and remove from recent apps.
    5) Restart gmail. You should now have the "Theme" option located under Settings/General Settings/Theme. Choose "Dark" or "System default" if your main theme is set to dark mode.
    6) Enjoy dark gmail in all it's glory.

Please note - this mod will not survive an app update. So if you update the app via the Play Store and the new version does not have dark mode, you will need to redo this mod.
    Thank you finding this. Unfortunately it is not working for me. I'm running Android 9 (DU) and have Gmail 2019.09.15.270135155.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone