[MOD][ROOT] VZW GN2 GSM Unlock - Add APN Data - Remove Non-Verizon SIM Message

Search This thread

AlpineMan

Aug 6, 2008
Next to Verizon, I would go with AT&T prepaid. Straight Talk is an example, but make sure you're getting the AT&T version of Straight Talk prepaid. They sell the SIM card at Walmart for like $15.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

AlpineMan

Aug 6, 2008
Okay and one last question.

When activating my prepaid sim will I be getting a new phone number? My Verizon contract is already canceled.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

My guess is yes since your Verizon contract is already cancelled...ie you've already lost your number unless you ported to your prepaid provider before cancelling.

roblikeschocolatecake

Jul 21, 2010
Lorain, Ohio
Flashed the mod from Post #2 and now I am unable to open settings at all. Upon trying to open Settings, I get "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped."

Am running Beans Build 21

EDIT:

Nevermind, didn't realise Beans ROM came with APN editor. :p

Last edited:

clipsruck

Aug 25, 2009
Does anyone have a mirror for the apn editor? I really need it and the mediafire link is not working for me.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

AlpineMan

Aug 6, 2008
Flash it back to Tmobile. You can't use AT&T and TMobile Galaxy S4 phones on Verizon.

You can use Verizon S4 on Tmobile and AT&T, however.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

Chocu1a

Sep 16, 2011
ok understood. i was losing my mind. so are you saying that there is no chipset that
supports cdma in the phone or are you saying you dont really know?

Verizon phones have both cdma/lte for their network, & gsm for other networks. You can use a Verizon phone on other GSM networks, too.
AT&T and T-Mobile only have gsm. They only work on GSM networks, not Verizon's.

ibmman69

Jun 17, 2010
I was getting that too with Scott's Clean ROM 3.1.

I ended up not needing it as the APNs were editable once a non-Verizon SIM card was put in the phone. And even then, it may not be needed as it pulled the APN from the SIM card in my case.

Phone worked very well on Czech Vodafone.

Can someone else confirm that when you put in a foreign sim the add APN option shows up (not grayed out) in the mobile networks menu?

The add apn option appears but it grayed out when the Verizon sim is inserted, and this mod no longer works on 4.1.2. I want to make sure I will actually be able to use the foreign sim if I spend the money on it.

thunderstruck!

Apr 7, 2009
Chicago
I still can't find the information using Google that I"m looking for. Does anyone know if the radio chip set in the I615 is the same radio chip set in the T889? I'm wondering if it supports 1700/2100 so the phone would work with TMobile LTE. It may not be enabled, but I'm curious if the capability is there.

torr310

Mar 26, 2011
I still can't find the information using Google that I"m looking for. Does anyone know if the radio chip set in the I615 is the same radio chip set in the T889? I'm wondering if it supports 1700/2100 so the phone would work with TMobile LTE. It may not be enabled, but I'm curious if the capability is there.

This phone doesn't work with T-Mobile LTE, 3G only at the 1900Mhz band (AT&T).

thunderstruck!

Apr 7, 2009
Chicago
Does the chipset not support the LTE frequencies for TMo, or can it but they are just turned off? Like they were not enabled on the Nexus 4 when it first came out.

TheGman125

Apr 17, 2010
birmingham, Al
I am currently using my verzion note 2 with Solavei... A T-Mobile mvno. I live in Birmingham, Al and we are a refarmed market. On my devices I m getting 3g/hspa+. The problem that I am having is no data.... I get calls but data isnt working? Does anyone have an idea to fix the problem?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

sshafranko

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 5, 2013
Little Ferry
Can someone help please? I flashed the mod in post 2 to enable the apn menu and now I cannot ooen my settings. Error unfortunately settings has stopped. Any ideas?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

greekchampion04

Apr 6, 2011
Ok, I have confirmed this to work, and works well with imnut's mod to remove the sim warning.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wqmad2ypgsyd75z

This enables the apn editor under settings.

Go to Settings, More Settings, Mobile Networks, Access Point Names, menu button.

This is a flashable mod! :D

Screenshot_2012-12-11-22-51-29.png

Note to rom devs: Feel free to use this, but give credit where due. Trust me, I will know if you kang it ;)

For anyone interested in knowing... I flashed this on CM11 and it does not work. I didn't think it would, but figured I would try.

Thanks for your hard work, adrynalyne

EDIT: It does work and the APN settings are now accessible via the settings menu, but it seems to have killed my data. This is my own fault, but I will see if I can dig out of it and make this all work.

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

For anyone interested in knowing... I flashed this on CM11 and it does not work. I didn't think it would, but figured I would try.

EDIT: It does work and the APN settings are now accessible via the settings menu, but it seems to have killed my data. This is my own fault, but I will see if I can dig out of it and make this all work.

update to this... used CWM to recover a backup of the stock ROM and my data is back. APN settings are accessible, but I can not add any APNs.

I am at work, so I don't want to risk killing my data again before I get home... I will play around with this over the weekend.

Last edited:

greekchampion04

Apr 6, 2011

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

update to this... used CWM to recover a backup of the stock ROM and my data is back. APN settings are accessible, but I can not add any APNs.

I am at work, so I don't want to risk killing my data again before I get home... I will play around with this over the weekend.

update to the update... flashed back to CM11 and everything is back to how it was before... no apn mod, but data works again

zeus_r6

Apr 3, 2011
Are we completely locked out of this after taking the 4.3 ota update from vzw?

allen81

Jan 28, 2011
Hi Guys,

Just inherited a Galaxy Note 2 i605 - wanted to know how I can make it work with Wind Mobile (Canadian carrier) which uses the same AWS bands as T-Mobile USA. The phone is completely stock, which I tried to put my Wind Sim in it, it wouldn't recognize it at all, not even voice. I even added APN settings and still nothing...

From what I have read so far, the phone is factory unlocked (great!) APN menu is accessible (so it's running 4.1.2 and no root required - great!) so don't know what I'm missing. I have helped a couple of friends do the "enable aws mod on their AT&T Note i317" is there a similar procedure available for our i605 that I'm not able to find?

I'd appreciate it if anyone can help me configure this so that I can utilize the Note 2 and retire my S2...

Thanks,

Allen.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Overview:
    There are a number of threads out there discussing if the VZW GN2 is carrier unlocked and what methods work, etc and I am creating this thread to pull it all together.

First and foremost, the VZW GN2 comes SIM unlocked out of the box. It is global ready and you can technically put in any SIM (assuming it is active) and not need an unlock code or the unlock method you have seen in other posts (AT&T or T-Mobile variants). This includes domestic carriers such as AT&T and T-mobile. Also voice should work without any changes, however, data will not work unless you add APN data.

Verizon chose to only put their APN data on the phone and block the ability to add APN data via settings. Most likely so you use their global services to make more $$$.

How to add APN data:
    In order to get data working you have to add carrier specific data to the apns-conf.xml file. While you may have been able to do this is in the past on other devices under settings, VZW has blocked this.

Method 1:
    See Adrynalyne's post below (Post #2) for a flashable mod (via custom recovery) that will enable the Add APN menu by removing Verizon's block. (For deodexed roms only)

Method 2:
    1. Ensure your phone is rooted
    2. adb pull /system/etc/apns-conf.xml
    3. Add the carrier data to apns-conf.xml with your favorite text/xml editor and save
    4. adb push your modified apn-conf.xml file back to /sdcard/
    5. Copy this file back to /system/etc/ and change permissions (I use root explorer)
    6. Power down and change your SIM card (AT&T, T-mobile, whatever) if you hadn't already done so
    7. Power back on and go to Settings -> More Settings -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names (if done properly you should see the APN data you entered for your respective carrier).
    8. Select one of the APN listings and then you should have working data
    9. Profit

VZW & AT&T APN Settings:
    A working example so you can see how I added additional lines at the beginning for AT&T 3G/HSDPA+/Tether/MMS
    http://pastebin.com/ms7a07sE

Removing the Non-Verizon SIM message :
    This will occur on roms that include Samsung's Setup Wizard (including stock) - all others can ignore

Method 1:
    - Freeze "Setup wizard 1.0" in Titanium Backup

Method 2:
    See imnuts' post below (Post #4) regarding replacing a file (for deodexed roms only)​

Credits:
    Adrynalyne: Removing VZW's lame Add APN block
    GermanGuy: AT&T APN data
    GitNick: Helping me tinker around and finding the secret menus
    imnuts: Removing non-VZW SIM nag and APN list from international GN2
    thevsg: Testing SinTel sim to confirm unlock with foreign carrier

NOTE: I am not responsible for any issues caused by tinkering around with this due to the nature of root and messing with /system. Use this at your own risk and ask someone if you have any question before doing something that may mess up your device.
    Ok, I have confirmed this to work, and works well with imnut's mod to remove the sim warning.

This enables the apn editor under settings.

Go to Settings, More Settings, Mobile Networks, Access Point Names, menu button.

This is a flashable mod! :D

Screenshot_2012-12-11-22-51-29.png

Note to rom devs: Feel free to use this, but give credit where due. Trust me, I will know if you kang it ;)
    If anyone is interested, I combined the International Note 2 (N7100), AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon apns-conf.xml file to create what is hopefully a fairly complete APNs list. Not saying it will work for your carrier, or that it works at all (remember, I don't have a device yet ;)), but people can use it if they wish. I put it on Pastebin for everyone's viewing pleasure and you can get it here.
    I hate double posting, but if people also want to get rid of the annoying ongoing notification when using a non-VZW SIM card, I've found the culprit and fixed it. Download this apk for a deodexed ROM and replace the original in /system/app/, then reboot. Make sure that /system is mounted as read/write before copy/pasting, and also that you're on a deodexed ROM. After copying it over, reboot and you shouldn't have the ongoing notification anymore.
    Thanks for your work. I flashed it in recovery. However, under Mobile Network when I hit menu, my only option is reset to default just like before. I'm on Beans V2 ROM. Any help will be appreciated.

Total derpage on my part.

Here you go. I also updated original post.