[Mod] SURROUND SOUND [Mod]

Search This thread

sshafranko

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 5, 2013
Little Ferry
WHAT IT IS...

This mod will activate your handset speaker to work at the same time as your main speaker while playing music, watching videos, movies, when phone rings, etc....not as good as the 6's duall front speakers but better then 1...I called it surround sound because when i made this originally the phone i used had a rear speaker and with this mod the sound kind of surrounds the phone. Obviously it isnt real surround sound but nonetheless sounds great.

DISCLAIMER...

I am not responsible in any way for anything that happens to your device whether manually installing the files or flashing zip files for the surround sound mod. You do so at your own risk. Many have tested this on their 5x phone and it works great. Enjoy

INSTALLATION...

You can install a couple different ways including extracting the files included in the zip and manually pushing them to system/etc, set permissions to rw r r, and reboot or just flash the included zips in your custom recovery?...

CREDITS...

Dwitherell _ for original flashable zip used in all my sound mods and for just being awesome. Thanks buddy...
Stu5797 _ for supplying the original 5x files and back and forth testing my experiments...Thanks man...
IDKsomuch _ for starting the thread which spiked the interest in this mod for the 5x. Thanks

CONTRIBUTORS...
SShafranko

CREATED...
November 18, 2015

DOWNLOADS...

SURROUND SOUND

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8kwy3dp3h24u4zk/Nexus_5x_Surround.zip

UPPER (Handset) SPEAKER LOUD

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ve0wlo99ybx4g14/Nexus_5x_Surround_+1Loud.zip

REVERT TO STOCK

http://www.mediafire.com/download/uhb8r8spz8surmo/Nexus_5x_ReverttoStock.zip

SURROUND SOUND

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fcvscfos0vffccb/Nexus_5x6.0.1_Surround.zip

LOUDER SURROUND SOUND

http://www.mediafire.com/?qw28d77ye8dbo6a

REVERT TO STOCK

http://www.mediafire.com/download/xwwtlve3v7ch9as/Nexus_5x6.0.1_ReverttoStock.zip

This mod was created by Jose-MXL all i did is zip his mixer_paths file...Refer to this post for more info before flashing.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=66653858

UPPER SPEAKER AS TWEETER

https://www.mediafire.com/download/uua5p7wmtlb5el5

Last edited:

sshafranko

Feb 5, 2013
Little Ferry
Volume

If your looking to leave the stock configuration of just the one main speaker, but would like to raise the volume, please refer to the picture below for the location of the value that needs to be adjusted. As i do not have the phone yet, i can't test to see how high you can go but from my past experiences on various phones 90 is about the maximum before distortion starts and sometimes even issues like reboots, freezes, etc can happen if you go too high or below the stock value of 84.

Thanks @reddv1 for testing it and posting his experience here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=64009300

356a987f975e39153dc2da53eb2ef954.jpg

CHANGING VOLUME WITH SURROUND MOD

Refer to pick below. The setup is a bit different then the stock setup above...

31bfbe4e19678022b687e15d8182d75f.jpg

Last edited:

Itachisasuke

Apr 27, 2010
Southeastern PA
I booted the TWRP Image from fastboot and installed both zips using the ADB Sideload command without any issue.

Steps Followed:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot boot twrp-2.8.7.2-bullhead.img 
adb sideload Nexus_5x_Surround.zip 
adb reboot

Sidenote: Do we have any specifications on the top speaker? I.E. Is it the same or different than the lower speaker. Just curious.

Thanks for the mod @sshafranko. You added a feature that I thought I would miss out on by not having the 6P.

Reactions: sshafranko

sshafranko

Feb 5, 2013
Little Ferry
I booted the TWRP Image from fastboot and installed both zips using the ADB Sideload command without any issue.

Steps Followed:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot boot twrp-2.8.7.2-bullhead.img 
adb sideload Nexus_5x_Surround.zip 
adb reboot

Sidenote: Do we have any specifications on the top speaker? I.E. Is it the same or different than the lower speaker. Just curious.

Thanks for the mod @sshafranko. You added a feature that I thought I would miss out on by not having the 6P.

The two speakers are completely different unfortunately but need to be. One is an internal speaker wchich is the handset and you need to put your ear up to it to hear and the other is an external, made so that you can hear it while away from the phone. I did raise the volume on the headset speaker a couple notches more then the main speaker so that the main doesnt overwhelm the headset speaker to the point that you cant hear it.

sshafranko

Feb 5, 2013
Little Ferry
So basically just install the 1 mod in twrp and only flash the revert if it doesnt work? Thanks for this

Yes...the revert is if you want to go back yo stock configuration with single speaker. Not sure why you would want to tho unless returning the phone? This is like TBO apps...once you try its hard to go without it...

Anyone try with viper yet? Sounds awesome on my Note 5

Reactions: westernmg

sshafranko

Feb 5, 2013
Little Ferry
Will this damage the speaker? Especially long term? Thanks

Sent from my HTC One M8 (vzw)

Honestly i dont know. It depends on the quality of speaker LG used. What i do know is that i have been using this mod on all my phones without any issue yet and the oldest one is almost two years old on my Note 3 which i have the volume turned up a lot more then this and no problems yet.

So i would say no but i cant be sure. On another note the speaker is not hard to change at all if it does get damaged and usually is pretty cheap ranging from $6 to $15 depending on phone. Im not sure of the exact price for the 5x but ill take a look.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WHAT IT IS...

This mod will activate your handset speaker to work at the same time as your main speaker while playing music, watching videos, movies, when phone rings, etc....not as good as the 6's duall front speakers but better then 1...I called it surround sound because when i made this originally the phone i used had a rear speaker and with this mod the sound kind of surrounds the phone. Obviously it isnt real surround sound but nonetheless sounds great.

DISCLAIMER...

I am not responsible in any way for anything that happens to your device whether manually installing the files or flashing zip files for the surround sound mod. You do so at your own risk. Many have tested this on their 5x phone and it works great. Enjoy

INSTALLATION...

You can install a couple different ways including extracting the files included in the zip and manually pushing them to system/etc, set permissions to rw r r, and reboot or just flash the included zips in your custom recovery?...

CREDITS...

Dwitherell _ for original flashable zip used in all my sound mods and for just being awesome. Thanks buddy...
    Stu5797 _ for supplying the original 5x files and back and forth testing my experiments...Thanks man...
    IDKsomuch _ for starting the thread which spiked the interest in this mod for the 5x. Thanks

CONTRIBUTORS...
    SShafranko

CREATED...
    November 18, 2015

DOWNLOADS...

SURROUND SOUND

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8kwy3dp3h24u4zk/Nexus_5x_Surround.zip

UPPER (Handset) SPEAKER LOUD

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ve0wlo99ybx4g14/Nexus_5x_Surround_+1Loud.zip

REVERT TO STOCK

http://www.mediafire.com/download/uhb8r8spz8surmo/Nexus_5x_ReverttoStock.zip

SURROUND SOUND

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fcvscfos0vffccb/Nexus_5x6.0.1_Surround.zip

LOUDER SURROUND SOUND

http://www.mediafire.com/?qw28d77ye8dbo6a

REVERT TO STOCK

http://www.mediafire.com/download/xwwtlve3v7ch9as/Nexus_5x6.0.1_ReverttoStock.zip

This mod was created by Jose-MXL all i did is zip his mixer_paths file...Refer to this post for more info before flashing.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=66653858

UPPER SPEAKER AS TWEETER

https://www.mediafire.com/download/uua5p7wmtlb5el5
    Dual Mono V2

Hi guys,

Today I want to share a little bit of what I have been working with @chdloc, just a little bit, don't get spoiled ;).
    Chdloc owns 90% of all the credit of everything you will see me posting here, literally I'm just testing and trying things for him, and for my and your benefit. Even the work from others which I won't mention, and that don't properly credit him, is based on his work directly or indirectly.

Ok, getting that out of the way, I tested his fix for Hotword detection patch and it worked right away. All I'm doing for now is adding the filters I designed for frequencies>8000hz, and to slightly attenuate frequencies<100hz. I have a few comments below in the changelog/comments for this mod.

I intent this to be continuation of the DualMono mod that I made in my very first attempt. TweetMod was definitely a very interesting project that I will continue to improve and try out new filters, tune the volume (since @chdloc can't test it himself), and see what else I can throw in there for improved quality. It is just another flavor that we can offer for people regarding channel configurations (Left + Left/Right). Another flavor would be surround sound (Left + Right) but with filters to reduce distortion.

Also, I intent do a CrossFeed mod to have around a 60% channel crossfeed and tune up the gains to level up the appropriate channel to where it should be. Also working on an aroma installer to compile AAALLL the mods. Please bare in mind that I test all the stuff I post first before uploading, the reason of why I haven't started my own thread is because I have no time to support it.

Anyways, going back to DualMono mod, here below is the stereo path as it looks in the mixer file. The hotword patches are already implemented on other locations of the mixer file. I will try to keep it cleaner and post the lines from now on, I should have done that since the beginning.

Speaker Path:

Code:
    <path name="speaker">
    <!-- Start Main Controls -->
            <ctl name="SLIM RX1 MUX" value="AIF1_PB" />
            <ctl name="SLIM_0_RX Channels" value="One" />
            <ctl name="CLASS_H_DSM MUX" value="DSM_HPHL_RX1" />
            <ctl name="DAC1 Switch" value="1" />
    		<ctl name="COMP0 Switch" value="1" />
            <ctl name="RX1 Digital Volume" value="87" />
            <ctl name="RX7 Digital Volume" value="85" />
            <ctl name="SPK DRV Volume" value="8" />
    <!-- End Main Controls -->
    <!-- Start Filter -->	
            <ctl name="IIR1 INP1 MUX" value="RX1" />
            <ctl name="IIR2 INP1 MUX" value="RX1" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band1" id="0" value="266310692" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band1" id="1" value="541120438" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band1" id="2" value="266310692" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band1" id="3" value="541136923" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band1" id="4" value="264202413" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band1" id="0" value="268435456" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band1" id="1" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band1" id="2" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band1" id="3" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band1" id="4" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band2" id="0" value="41461322" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band2" id="1" value="82922644" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band2" id="2" value="41461322" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band2" id="3" value="907896534" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band2" id="4" value="63255122" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band2" id="0" value="268435456" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band2" id="1" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band2" id="2" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band2" id="3" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band2" id="4" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band3" id="0" value="268435456" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band3" id="1" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band3" id="2" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band3" id="3" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band3" id="4" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band3" id="0" value="268435456" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band3" id="1" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band3" id="2" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band3" id="3" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band3" id="4" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band4" id="0" value="268435456" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band4" id="1" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band4" id="2" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band4" id="3" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band4" id="4" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band4" id="0" value="268435456" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band4" id="1" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band4" id="2" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band4" id="3" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band4" id="4" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band5" id="0" value="268435456" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band5" id="1" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band5" id="2" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band5" id="3" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Band5" id="4" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band5" id="0" value="268435456" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band5" id="1" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band5" id="2" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band5" id="3" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Band5" id="4" value="0" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Enable Band1" value="1" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Enable Band2" value="1" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Enable Band3" value="1" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Enable Band4" value="1" />
    		<ctl name="IIR1 Enable Band5" value="1" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Enable Band1" value="1" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Enable Band2" value="1" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Enable Band3" value="1" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Enable Band4" value="1" />
    		<ctl name="IIR2 Enable Band5" value="1" />		
    <!-- End Filter -->	
    <!-- Start Mix Paths -->	
            <ctl name="RX1 MIX1 INP1" value="IIR1" />
           <ctl name="RX7 MIX1 INP1" value="IIR2" />
    <!-- End Mix Paths -->
    </path>

And here is the changelog/comments for DualMonoV2
    • Started from scratch. Really, I had a mess.
    • Did not split the channels in left/right and then tried to mix/mux them to make mono again, instead I plugged both earpiece and speaker to the same mono source that would have been used for speaker only.
    • Separated IIR filter options per transducer instead of per channel (naturally since I only have 1 source of audio). This gives the option to apply filters on the fly to a single transducer and leave the other one virtually untouched. Since I'm not applying filters to speaker, this means that whatever distortion is present in main speaker is what it would be on stock mixer file without mods.
    • Applied latest recommendation of filters to IIR1 (earpiece). On a separate note that I promised above, I have tested many many many filters and combinations and got to the conclusion that the distortion comes 100% from the higher frequencies. There is no change or effect on distortion when attenuating lower frequencies. I still applied a filter to lower frequencies to release the load/fatigue from the earpiece to try to produce sounds that it can't, having a less congested output maybe around the frequencies of human speech.
    • Applied hotword detection patches for IIR1. It surprises me that this wasn't reported earlier, without this patch, the earpiece shuts down when moving to the home screen or any other hotword detection scenarios. Chdloc has addressed this in his latest upload of the TweetMod.
    • Since we learned with TweetMod that the speaker can be cranked up safely and with minimal distortion about 4dBs (DualMonoV1 cranked it up to +6db...) I just added +1dB to main speaker. It is just a wink from my part to start rolling over the speaker potential.
    • Definitely 87 is a good spot for the digital volume of the earpiece to be. I was using 88 as my daily driver but it would hiss at me sometimes. 1dB is honestly nothing but I see less occurrences of this at 87.
    • I don't remember any other changes.... I am learning how to use the XDA forum code to organize text...
    hi cazeW,
    Can you give a link for Dual Mono V2 and Stereo Mic?

I'm interested to try these out too. Could you point me in the direction of a download link or letters to search on my own?

To find them easier, here's all the files.
    Volume

If your looking to leave the stock configuration of just the one main speaker, but would like to raise the volume, please refer to the picture below for the location of the value that needs to be adjusted. As i do not have the phone yet, i can't test to see how high you can go but from my past experiences on various phones 90 is about the maximum before distortion starts and sometimes even issues like reboots, freezes, etc can happen if you go too high or below the stock value of 84.

Thanks @reddv1 for testing it and posting his experience here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=64009300

356a987f975e39153dc2da53eb2ef954.jpg

CHANGING VOLUME WITH SURROUND MOD

Refer to pick below. The setup is a bit different then the stock setup above...

31bfbe4e19678022b687e15d8182d75f.jpg
    I made a small port for the SurroundSound mod for it to work on Magisk.
    It's based on the "6.0.1 Surround Mod" file. If you need the louder version, simply edit the mixer_paths.xml values in the system/etc/ folder in the zip file and re-zip it.

I have tested it on my own Nexus 5X Device on Android 7.1.2 using the PixelRom and MagiskSU. Worked perfectly and still managed to pass SafetyNet!

If you do not trust the file then either simply take it down or notify me to take it down. All I did was take the template, add the mixer_path file in the right location and added the right permission in the config.sh

Greetings,

ErixGamer
    Just for the heck of it, here's Surround Sound louder with stereo recording (because who seriously wants to record mono) as a regular zip, systemless for SuperSU and Magisk. Based on the mixer_paths.xml and media_profiles.xml files from 7.1.2.