• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Mod][Systemless Root][Pixel/Pixel XL] TetherMod - Bypass provisioning checks.

Search This thread

mac796

Aug 20, 2014
Long Beach
It worked for me. I add that line in /system_root/system/build.prop with es file explorer. Rebooted.

That's cool I had to have a module made to work for me. For magisk

Also I have only ever ran unofficial magisk. Havnt got around to trying new official one yet. Been using suhide. And I like it a lot.

Last edited:

Jmcarls20

Jun 18, 2017
I am so confused. This is so frustrating. I'm in minimal adb and fastboot and every time I try to install the APK it says no such file or directory found. Can someone please help this noob.
I'm rooted using minimal adb. I put the file carrierentitlement.apk in the root directory (no folder just copied it to the pixel) and then typed word for word into adb and everytime it says no such file or directory found. I've tried to "push" the apk from different folders. no luck. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Last edited:

droid10

Aug 5, 2011
I am so confused. This is so frustrating. I'm in minimal adb and fastboot and every time I try to install the APK it says no such file or directory found. Can someone please help this noob.
I'm rooted using minimal adb. I put the file carrierentitlement.apk in the root directory (no folder just copied it to the pixel) and then typed word for word into adb and everytime it says no such file or directory found. I've tried to "push" the apk from different folders. no luck. I have no idea what I'm doing.

I know how you feel. I had no luck getting tether working either. I followed the directions exactly. I was reading other post and found a solution. I'm not sure why it worked and it might not fix your problem. It might make it worse.

In Es File explore (app from the playstore) with root access i went to the local section and selected device. I then opened the system_root folder. In that folder, I opened the system folder. In the system folder I opened a file called bulid.prop. I clicked the edit option at the top and added this: net.tethering.noprovisioning=true on the last line. I saved the file and rebooted. After that my tethering started working. Hope that helps.

Reactions: criminal666

criminal666

Dec 28, 2011
I know how you feel. I had no luck getting tether working either. I followed the directions exactly. I was reading other post and found a solution. I'm not sure why it worked and it might not fix your problem. It might make it worse.

In Es File explore (app from the playstore) with root access i went to the local section and selected device. I then opened the system_root folder. In that folder, I opened the system folder. In the system folder I opened a file called bulid.prop. I clicked the edit option at the top and added this: net.tethering.noprovisioning=true on the last line. I saved the file and rebooted. After that my tethering started working. Hope that helps.
This worked! Thanks for the awesome help!

Sent from my Pixel XL using XDA-Developers Legacy app

MatthewRobinson

Mar 4, 2014
I'm on Verizon with an unlocked XL. Tethering used to work and now it doesn't. When I use it, devices are connected with no internet. Why might this be? I just updated ROMs to try to remedy this and no dice.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dubt17

Feb 26, 2010
I have a quick Q.

I have the ability to tether. I'm on T-Mobile and it works, but it's slow. 0.5Mbps while my phone itself gets 60Mbps down at the same time of testing.

Will this alleviate the issue?

uer166

Dec 19, 2017
I have a quick Q.

I have the ability to tether. I'm on T-Mobile and it works, but it's slow. 0.5Mbps while my phone itself gets 60Mbps down at the same time of testing.

Will this alleviate the issue?

Not for me, have tried a bunch of stuff it the last 2 days, on my rooted LG Aristo with Magisk:
1) Adding net.tethering.noprovisioning=true to build.prop, completely breaks tethering (not even 0.5mbps works)
2) settings put global tether_dun_required 0, also breaks tethering
3) Following original instructions and trying to install CarrierEntitlement.apk, for some reason the whole supersu folder gets deleted on reboot. Still get the "checking your account" message when enabling tethering. Speed still 0.5mbps.
4) Currently messing with routing tables, seems rmnet_data0 is the fast one, rmnet_data2 is the throttled one, and stuff gets routed based on ip rules and tables. Seems like rmnet_data2 route table has all the goods, since deleting it slows the phone itself to throttled speeds, and disables tethering.

There's no custom ROM for this phone it seems, so stuck with the molested T-Mobile stock image.
I also have no idea what I'm doing, someone send halp

Reactions: dubt17

wethead4

Feb 5, 2008
I was hoping to get some help as I'm not sure I was able to get this to work. My only end goal is to be able to install TetherMod - Bypass provisioning checks so I can tether with verizon grandfathered UDP, and as a secondary, still be able to take OTA if possible. don't care about new kernels etc..

In order to unlock i followed steps above:
1)unlocked bootloader
2)was already on 8.1, I did not install factory image (do I need to do this?)
3)Rooted with Magisk (Installed TWRP)

I didn't go any further, but then when I flashed the tether mod it did not work. Rootcheck showed that I am rooted and unlocked. Anyone help with what I missed?

I have a pixel xl

jjlane86

Sep 1, 2014
I was hoping to get some help as I'm not sure I was able to get this to work. My only end goal is to be able to install TetherMod - Bypass provisioning checks so I can tether with verizon grandfathered UDP, and as a secondary, still be able to take OTA if possible. don't care about new kernels etc..

In order to unlock i followed steps above:
1)unlocked bootloader
2)was already on 8.1, I did not install factory image (do I need to do this?)
3)Rooted with Magisk (Installed TWRP)

I didn't go any further, but then when I flashed the tether mod it did not work. Rootcheck showed that I am rooted and unlocked. Anyone help with what I missed?

I have a pixel xl

So i have been doing tether workarounds for years now, and my phone pushed 8.1 update while rooted from 7.1.2..still not sure how that happened.

Anyways, I found that the app Tether by CWM in play store worked great via USB on the GF UDP for me, but i was getting tired of having to plug in so I rooted with Magisk, Clean INstall Stock, went into System and found build.prop and used the noprovisioning line stated throughout this thread.

Save it, reboot, and BOOM hotspot works again ;)

funkybrunk

Sep 5, 2010
I'm on Verizon with an unlocked XL. Tethering used to work and now it doesn't. When I use it, devices are connected with no internet. Why might this be? I just updated ROMs to try to remedy this and no dice.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

From what I'm hearing on several different tethering threads, VZ is now blocking tethering on grandfathered UDP. That's what I'm seeing, any devices that connect don't have internet. VZ grandfathered UDP, Pixel XL. I'm interested if anyone else on this plan can still tether, or if VZ is now violating the rules for the 400Mhz spectrum (probably has to do with that worthless piece of S***T Ajit Pai).

sb1893

Apr 2, 2014
From what I'm hearing on several different tethering threads, VZ is now blocking tethering on grandfathered UDP. That's what I'm seeing, any devices that connect don't have internet. VZ grandfathered UDP, Pixel XL. I'm interested if anyone else on this plan can still tether, or if VZ is now violating the rules for the 400Mhz spectrum (probably has to do with that worthless piece of S***T Ajit Pai).

I don't believe this is correct in all cases - at least not in mine. I am on a grandfathered UDP on Verizon. I have a Google Pixel XL, unlocked, rooted with MAGISK on 8.1 / April Security Update) and using the Magisk Tethering Enabler Module (equivalent of adding net.tethering.noprovisioning=true to build.prop) and I was just able to launch my native hotspot and connect to it with my IPad and access the ESPN.com using that connection. Also - my bills from Verizon continue to not report any Hotspot usage on my account - even though I do tether a few times each month - albeit not using much data via the tether or in general...typical monthly overall data usage trends between 5 GB - 15GB - depending on if it is MLB At Bat or Sunday Ticket season...

funkybrunk

Sep 5, 2010
I don't believe this is correct in all cases - at least not in mine. I am on a grandfathered UDP on Verizon. I have a Google Pixel XL, unlocked, rooted with MAGISK on 8.1 / April Security Update) and using the Magisk Tethering Enabler Module (equivalent of adding net.tethering.noprovisioning=true to build.prop) and I was just able to launch my native hotspot and connect to it with my IPad and access the ESPN.com using that connection. Also - my bills from Verizon continue to not report any Hotspot usage on my account - even though I do tether a few times each month - albeit not using much data via the tether or in general...typical monthly overall data usage trends between 5 GB - 15GB - depending on if it is MLB At Bat or Sunday Ticket season...

I retract my earlier post. I managed to tether a phone, laptop and tablet to my PXL over the weekend, all had internet access.

jegaa69

Feb 14, 2014
Correction A-**** Pie is the proper spell g for his name.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

oneders65

Feb 12, 2008
Plainview, TX
I am bootloader unlocked Android 10 pixel XL. Magisk root. Tried using buildprop edit but no luck saving changes. Anybody have ideas what I can do to enable hotspot tethering?

I am bootloader unlocked Android 10 pixel XL. Magisk root. Tried using buildprop edit but no luck saving changes. Anybody have ideas what I can do to enable hotspot tethering?

You have root? You must be rooted and necessary file permissions setup or it will fail. Make sure it's been saved with 644 rw-r-r permissions. Also make sure your using a file manager that will truly support full access to the root file system, my personal favorite is app called "MiXplorer". You can download on XDA Labs or from the devs main thread here on XDA. IMO hands down the best file explorer there is for Android an its 100% free.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200804-072507_MiXplorer.png
    Screenshot_20200804-072507_MiXplorer.png
    160.4 KB · Views: 32

oneders65

Feb 12, 2008
Plainview, TX
Thank you for the information. Root verification app indicates I have root. I had to leave my pixel xl behind at the house. Went on vacation. When I get back I will try again.

oneders65

Feb 12, 2008
Plainview, TX
rw-r—r—Failed

I must not be rooted 100%. When I save the file to 644 it’s says it failed.
You have root? You must be rooted and necessary file permissions setup or it will fail. Make sure it's been saved with 644 rw-r-r permissions. Also make sure your using a file manager that will truly support full access to the root file system, my personal favorite is app called "MiXplorer". You can download on XDA Labs or from the devs main thread here on XDA. IMO hands down the best file explorer there is for Android an its 100% free.

flash713

I must not be rooted 100%. When I save the file to 644 it’s says it failed.

What file manager are you using? I use root explorer pro and it works perfect for editing & adding lines in my build prop. You are rooted with magisk and you have given whatever root file manager root permissions in magisk manager like in my screen shot correct? Maybe try a different file manager... I believe root explorer will work. It's free. It's the one with the blue file icon on it on Google play. Super easy to use. I use root explorer pro more than any app I have and it's been that way since I bought it many years ago. :good:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200810-034143940.jpg
    Screenshot_20200810-034143940.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 20

oneders65

Feb 12, 2008
Plainview, TX
/system not not writable

I am using stock rom Android 10.
Seems like everything I have been reading the /system directory is locked down. SU in Magisk will not change the buildprop file. Using Mixplorer in XDA Labs. It has SU permission.
Going to try a Magisk Module to enable hotspot.
You're saving 0644 permissions like in my screenshot?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide presupposes that you have Supersu installed as systemless, and that you have access to adb.

This will bypass provisioning checks for builtin tether app. The modded apk should work with future updates without touching /system at all.

Installation

Method 1 - Manual install
    Download the attached CarrierEntitlement apk.

If you have su.img su:
    Code:
    adb push CarrierEntitlement.apk /sdcard/CarrierEntitlement.apk
    adb shell
    su
    mkdir /su/CarrierEntitlement
    cp /sdcard/CarrierEntitlement.apk /su/CarrierEntitlement/CarrierEntitlement.apk
    chmod 644 /su/CarrierEntitlement/CarrierEntitlement.apk
    echo "mount -o bind /su/CarrierEntitlement/CarrierEntitlement.apk /system/priv-app/CarrierEntitlement/CarrierEntitlement.apk" > /su/su.d/05TetherMod
    chmod +x /su/su.d/05TetherMod
    reboot

If you have sbin su (Android 8.0+)
    Code:
    adb push CarrierEntitlement.apk /sdcard/CarrierEntitlement.apk
    adb shell
    su
    mkdir /sbin/supersu/CarrierEntitlement
    cp /sdcard/CarrierEntitlement.apk /sbin/supersu/CarrierEntitlement/CarrierEntitlement.apk
    chmod 644 /sbin/supersu/CarrierEntitlement/CarrierEntitlement.apk
    echo "mount -o bind /sbin/supersu/CarrierEntitlement/CarrierEntitlement.apk /system/priv-app/CarrierEntitlement/CarrierEntitlement.apk" > /sbin/supersu/su.d/05TetherMod
    chmod +x /sbin/supersu/su.d/05TetherMod
    reboot

Method 2 - Flashable Zip (su.img only)
    Code:
    1. Download attached zip. 
    2. Flash in TWRP (Last tested in alpha 2)

Information

This mod is accomplished by replacing the following function:
    Code:
    .method public static getCarrierEntitlement(Landroid/content/Context;)Lcom/google/android/carrierentitlement/CarrierEntitlement;
        .registers 2
        .param p0, "context"    # Landroid/content/Context;
        .prologue

.line 56
        const/4 v0, 0x0

return-object v0
    .end method

NOTE: Post install
    You may need to edit your APNs to get tethering working for your carrier.

On sprint, where editing APNs is disabled, the fix is here: Sprint Fix
    Be sure to thank @Builtfordtough1 for all his help in diagnosing the issue at this post: The Solution!

Be sure to thank sb1893 for sbin su instructions.
    Now that Magisk appears to be working for the Pixel XL, is there any way to convert this into a Magisk module?

I have Sprint for the smaller Pixel. Does this mod zip still work ?

Looks like dude has jetted...

This works with SuperSu. I plan on doing a Magisk module if it continues to be stable for me.
    Is there an advantage to doing this over adding "net.tethering.noprovisioning=true" to the build.prop file?
    This mod is systemless, and should survive OTAs. That mod changes the build.prop on the system partition, which could prevent taking OTAs.

Can you normally update your device with OTA-updates like a un-rooted device, without flashfire or connect to your computer?

Any modification to the boot image *should* prevent OTAs from working at all. However, you can flash back to stock boot images, and take OTAs as long as you have not modified /system, which this mod does not do.
    Furthermore, as long as you don't wipe /data/ this mod will live in su.img and survive when you flash newer system software.
    Quick question, just to make sure i'm understanding correctly, this will allow us to tether without it counting towards our "mobile hotspot" data allocation? Is that correct?

Yes, that is the idea. Be aware that T-Mobile has invested in technologies to inspect packets and determine if you are tethering a device that is not your phone. As of this time, they don't slap you on the wrist or display a warning like they once did, they just deduct it from your usage if they detect it. YMMV with tethering devices that aren't android tablets, I.E. PC, PS4, Xbox, etc...
    is there a non root method to bypass the checks? i dont plan on unlocking or rooting since i use android pay...

I also use Android pay, so I have two boot images ready to fastboot or flash. I have a boot image with root, and a boot image without root running a kernel that hides the bootloader unlocked flag.

So, the way I handle this, I flash the unrooted (bootloader flag hidden) image as my daily driver kernel, this passes safetynet, and allows me to use Android pay.

I make a backup of that boot image. Then, I install TWRP, my custom kernel, and SuperSU. I make a backup of that image as well.

So I have two backed up boot images:

rooted.img
    HideBLUnlock.img

I flash HideBLUnlock.img to boot a, and boot b, safetynet passes.
    Whenever I need to tether I have my computer with me, so I "fastboot boot rooted.img" which leaves me rooted until my next reboot.

Depending on your usage you might want to reverse that.

All my mods get stored in su.img, so switching out the boot images is all I need to have the best of both worlds.