[MOD][THEME] WhatsApp desktop dark mode

Search This thread

m4heshd

Jul 17, 2012
Sri Lanka
www.variatix.com
I know this is not related to mobile but thought I'd share this here with everyone.

I've been so sick of the eye burning light colored UI on WhatsApp desktop for so long and decided to come up with a dark mode myself. Here's a screenshot of the result.

Screenshot-small.png

It was very satisfying and thought this is worth sharing. Made a little installer script for both Windows and macOS and published it as an open-source project.
FYI, this is not a modded version of WhatsApp. It'll just modify the styling of your currently installed build of WhatsApp desktop. It's 100% safe and anybody's welcome to look through the source code and review.

Downloads and Instructions :
https://github.com/m4heshd/whatsapp-desktop-dark

Please note that this script won't work with microsoft store or app store version of WhatsApp desktop

Enjoy!!! :)

Last edited:

dmdelgado

Dec 11, 2010
Miami
Error Windows

Hello thank you for making this dark mode I have been searching for something like this for a while!

Unfortunately I keep receiving this error.

Any idea why?

2uk3y

Sep 3, 2010
Malaysia
name unreadable

thanks @m4heshd for this mod. everything look perfect except one... look the pic that i attach.
in group chat, name next to phone number unreadable. hope can fix this. :good:
test.png

m4heshd

Jul 17, 2012
Sri Lanka
www.variatix.com
Hello thank you for making this dark mode I have been searching for something like this for a while!

Unfortunately I keep receiving this error.

Any idea why?

Hi,
Thank you for trying this out. The error occurs because you have the windows store version of WhatsApp. You can find the issue on Github here.

https://github.com/m4heshd/whatsapp-desktop-dark/issues/3

As mentioned in the above issue, please try the direct download version from their web and let me know how it goes.

m4heshd

Jul 17, 2012
Sri Lanka
www.variatix.com
thanks @m4heshd for this mod. everything look perfect except one... look the pic that i attach.
in group chat, name next to phone number unreadable. hope can fix this. :good:
View attachment 4814503

Hi @2uk3y,

Thanks for trying this out. That's weird because I'm unable to reproduce this issue.

image.png

Can you check your WhatsApp version and let me know?

Reactions: crubbish

m4heshd

Jul 17, 2012
Sri Lanka
www.variatix.com
Reactions: crubbish

m4heshd

Jul 17, 2012
Sri Lanka
www.variatix.com
Thank You so much ... Works perfectly and looks amazing !!!
Can you remove the white squares around emojis if possible ?

Hi @Liftedcorn,

You're very welcome and thanks for trying this out.
Unfortunately emojis on the emoji tab are loaded to a canvas from one big JPG with a white background. So it's not fixable at all. I've tried. Really sorry about that.

Liftedcorn

Mar 26, 2018
Nokia 7 Plus
Hi @Liftedcorn,

Unfortunately emojis on the emoji tab are loaded to a canvas from one big JPG with a white background. So it's not fixable at all. I've tried. Really sorry about that.
It's totally fine.... Not a big issue ?
Works like a charm. Thank You again. ?

scoobyjenkins

• Jul 8, 2012
    Leeds
    I get this message when trying to run it: 'wmic' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
    I'm using official Whatsapp desktop 0.3.4375 from the download page, not app store, using the windows x86/x64 version and my windows 10 is 64bit.
    Any ideas?

m4heshd

Jul 17, 2012
    Sri Lanka
    www.variatix.com
    I get this message when trying to run it: 'wmic' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
    I'm using official Whatsapp desktop 0.3.4375 from the download page, not app store, using the windows x86/x64 version and my windows 10 is 64bit.
    Any ideas?

Hi @scoobyjenkins,

Can you run the script again and post a screenshot of the output? Alternatively you can also start an issue on GitHub.

scoobyjenkins

• Jul 8, 2012
    Leeds
    It seems like NodeJS is looking for that PATH for the executable which isn't set by your OS. Please try this solution and let me know.

BTW you can also try to run the script directly from the source as mentioned in the documentation.

That worked a treat, thanks! Entering the commands in cmd didn't do anything, but thankfully the more permanent solution via control panel worked right away.

2uk3y

Sep 3, 2010
    Malaysia
    Oops. That seems to be a newer version. It looks like the windows version haven't received that update yet. Will release the theme update as soon as this WhatsApp update is available on both platforms. Thanks for reporting.

that fine. yet still happy with this mod. thanks again, keep it up :good: :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      I know this is not related to mobile but thought I'd share this here with everyone.

I've been so sick of the eye burning light colored UI on WhatsApp desktop for so long and decided to come up with a dark mode myself. Here's a screenshot of the result.

Screenshot-small.png

It was very satisfying and thought this is worth sharing. Made a little installer script for both Windows and macOS and published it as an open-source project.
      FYI, this is not a modded version of WhatsApp. It'll just modify the styling of your currently installed build of WhatsApp desktop. It's 100% safe and anybody's welcome to look through the source code and review.

Downloads and Instructions :
      https://github.com/m4heshd/whatsapp-desktop-dark

Please note that this script won't work with microsoft store or app store version of WhatsApp desktop

Enjoy!!! :)
      Release v0.4.315

Hello everyone,

The latest update has been released for WhatsApp v0.4.315. This update contains some major fixes and highly requested features. Highlights would be,
      1. All new GUI Installer
      2. Major styling fixes broken by the update
      3. Theme selection for CLI installer
      4. Added new styling
      5. Added new themes
      Downloads are available here and the complete changelog is available here.

Download the new version and simply rerun the script to apply new updates. :good:
      Release v0.4.930

Hello everyone,

The latest update has been released for WhatsApp v0.4.930. This update contains some major fixes and highly requested features. Highlights would be,
      1. Official dark mode support
      2. Three-way theme switch
      3. Fixed broken styles
      4. Fixed emojis
      Downloads are available here and the complete changelog is available here.

Download the new version and simply rerun the script to apply new updates. :good:
      WADark now supports the official dark mode

As i reported earlier today, Official dark mode is out for WA Desktop.

Good news for WADark users. I've just added support for the official dark theme in the latest source. Please build or re-install from the latest source and try switching between themes using the WADark switch button.

image.png

Anybody's welcome to give it a test drive.. :p
      Thank You so much ... Works perfectly and looks amazing !!!
      Can you remove the white squares around emojis if possible ?

Hi @Liftedcorn,

Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone