• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[MOD] Thermal mod of T805/T800 boost performance by 150%

Search This thread

Verdinex

Jul 23, 2018
Quick followup, i have run 3D Mark benchmark and PCmark, see the screenshots below. Managed to achieve the world fastest Tab S, enjoy :cool:
Is it possible to overclock Mali T628 with this ROM? I've heard it can go up to 600MHz, but samsung limited it to 533MHz. I feel like this tablet has pretty powerful CPU, but the GPU's performance is lackluster in comparison to Andreno 330 that comes with Snapdragon 800.

NeonHD

Jul 7, 2015
Dude, you need to chill.

I know that his words were put very harshly, but admittedly he has a point. This thread is purely about maximizing performance through hard and soft modding. It's not about Lineage ROMs.

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

Is it possible to overclock Mali T628 with this ROM? I've heard it can go up to 600MHz, but samsung limited it to 533MHz. I feel like this tablet has pretty powerful CPU, but the GPU's performance is lackluster in comparison to Andreno 330 that comes with Snapdragon 800.

I actually overclocked it to 600mhz, because why not :p

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

I did a little testing. I have set minimum frequency to lowest possible to test the battery life. As you can see I have only 3% lost in idle for the 17 hours and I still have the performance gains.

And the best part is that you don't have to use the minimum frequency all the time. If you're out on a road trip and you need extra battery life, then just underclock it. If you're at home and you want to play a game on your Tab, then overclock the h3ll outta it (within a reasonable range of course).

This is exactly why I love performance tweaking, everything is changeable according to your needs :)

andycar1992

Aug 29, 2019
Thank You

Great Mod, The SM-T800 has been my go to device for years..The MOD has brought new life to this tablet..It's great that you posted this MOD for others to try out...
Just a note, I applied a thicker thermal pad to the CPU section (1mm thick) and I noticed after a few days my wifi signal was about half of what i used to be.. I think the thermal pad I used was to thick and it lifted the contacts off the back case where I believe the wifi antenna it located. I just used a .5mm thermal pad and my wifi signal is great know. If i'm mistaken about the wifi connector location please let me know.
Take care.

knosso

Oct 5, 2017
Dear Nauvho thanks for the post. I've always modded the cooling system of my laptops to reduce throttling but it never occurred to me that my Tab S 8.4 LTE could be so poorly engineered as well. The tablet simply felt slow to the point I simply was not using it anymore. So I started lowering the frequency on my totally degoogled and desamsunged Stock MM. This seemed to help a bit. I did not have anything thermally conductive at hand since I was not at home so I took one of those aluminium food containers (OK ok it's not aluminium but we all call it that way anyway), cut a sheet, made it straight and started folding it over and over until I got a 0.5-0.7mm thick and 1.5cm wide bar, the idea was to spread the heat as much as possible since we don't have anywhere to synk the heat. This slightly improved performance... But very slyghtly. Basically I ended up installing deadly just to be able to tweak the voltages. And now here we are with the following settings:
Max freq: 1800
Min: 250

Voltages:
1800 -44mV
1700 -44mV
1600 -44mV
1500 -38mV
1400 -32mV
1300 -25mV
1200 -25mV

Throttling points:
75C 1700
80C 1600
85C 1500
95C 600 (Well we need a safe guard somewhere).

Max performance 49.5GIPS
Average 48.2GIPS
Minimum 46.4GIPS

3D Mark Slingshot extreme scores 528 (454 for GPU and 1225 for CPU).

The temperatures in a stress test of 60 minutes jump between 82 and 85 and takes a good minute to start throttling.

Now questions:
Has anyone managed to bump the clocks of the GPU above 600mHz?
I wanted to replace my improvised metal thing with a hefty chunk of metal and the thermal tape I use for my raspberry py, however before opening it again I wanted to have a plan for the battery as well. I would like to put a couple of cells or whatever with a total capacity of 10A/h. Did any of you guys managed to put custom batteries? How do I inform the kernel of the new capacity? An alternative to this would be to build a sort of half cover containing a power bank so I slide the tablet in while in use. I would like to bump my scree on time from the current 4h to a more laptop style 15-20h.

Thanks again for this community. Please I wish you all a good day.

I try this a while ago seem to work but there is a bump on back cover
Under is pc cpu thermal paste
And the pieces there are held from small super gluenon the side to not fall off
I buy the cooper from aliexpress

Attachments

• IMG_20200119_171242.jpg
    IMG_20200119_171242.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_20200119_173529.jpg
    IMG_20200119_173529.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 189
Reactions: knosso

vratnik

Sep 12, 2015
Thanks for the tip, the profile works good, 690 on Slingshot - not as many points as you got but I already have some apps installed, like fb, messenger, reddit etc.
I had to add thermal pad as well because the tablet was laggy before.
Now I have high battery drain with screen off - about 4% per hour. I am thinking about a battery-friendly adiutor profile to auto-switch when screen is off. Looking for some tasker solution, I've been long time away from root scene..

nauvho

Dec 18, 2011
Thanks for the tip, the profile works good, 690 on Slingshot - not as many points as you got but I already have some apps installed, like fb, messenger, reddit etc.
I had to add thermal pad as well because the tablet was laggy before.
Now I have high battery drain with screen off - about 4% per hour. I am thinking about a battery-friendly adiutor profile to auto-switch when screen is off. Looking for some tasker solution, I've been long time away from root scene..

Yes its best to make two profiles, one for battery with minimum cpu at the very low frequency and one for on charger operation.

vratnik

Sep 12, 2015
Yes its best to make two profiles, one for battery with minimum cpu at the very low frequency and one for on charger operation.
Got it, I created additional "slow" profile with all frequencies at minimum (100), governors noop, powersave etc. and saved it. With this profile the tablet is laggy as hell but I set it in Tasker to activate only when screen state is off. In screen state on, the "fast" profile is reactivated. Let's see what's the difference in battery usage with screen off.

Got it, I created additional "slow" profile with all frequencies at minimum (100), governors noop, powersave etc. and saved it. With this profile the tablet is laggy as hell but I set it in Tasker to activate only when screen state is off. In screen state on, the "fast" profile is reactivated. Let's see what's the difference in battery usage with screen off.
Hi, can you please tell me how you switch profiles with Tasker?

Figured it out. DA has its own plugin!

Today I opened my SM T800 and applied the thermal pad (graphite and silicone).
Restarted, carried out various prolonged stress tests, the temperatures never exceeded 80 °.
Rebooted into recovery, so without any external settings, I made a full backup. Twrp never exceeded 72 °, while before the change, after just 15/20 seconds, it exceeded 85 °.
Thank you very much

turikan

May 9, 2018
Today I opened my SM T800 and applied the thermal pad (graphite and silicone).
Restarted, carried out various prolonged stress tests, the temperatures never exceeded 80 °.
Rebooted into recovery, so without any external settings, I made a full backup. Twrp never exceeded 72 °, while before the change, after just 15/20 seconds, it exceeded 85 °.
Thank you very much

Can you Tell me please which pads your ordered and the dimensions of the pad? Thanks in advance

Samlach 22

Dec 14, 2016
France
Honor 8
Hi, I installed LineageOs 17.1 and I would like to know if there was a way to make Deathly Adiutor work on this unofficial version, indeed the kernel is not the good one on this version.
Thanks in advance

Hazou

Feb 5, 2012
Hi, I installed LineageOs 17.1 and I would like to know if there was a way to make Deathly Adiutor work on this unofficial version, indeed the kernel is not the good one on this version.
Thanks in advance
The only way to make it work is to port some patches over to the 17.1 kernel source. So, unless something does it for you, undervolting will not work

Reactions: Samlach 22

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks in advance
    The only way to make it work is to port some patches over to the 17.1 kernel source. So, unless something does it for you, undervolting will not work
    I have this tabled for a long time, but as i rarely used it i didn't bother with it much. From day one back in 2014 the tablet was sluggish and laggy, today is just unbearable even for browsing. So i have decided to take a look of what can i do.

I have installed the latest (10.26.2019) LineageOS-14.1-Deathly with gapps nano.
    I have installed CPU Throttling Test from the play store and start testing to see what's going on. I saw that the CPU Throttle instantly (like in 10-15 sec max) from 1900mhz to 600mhz, and this is where the sluggishness comes from, the CPU is constantly throttled no matter that you are just looking at a simple web page.

I started playing with the Deathly Adiutor and under-voltage the cpu, set the max to 1400mhz and this is where it is stable as it is. At 1400mhz constant 100% CPU stress the CPU temps are around 90c (at 95 the cpu starts throttling). Anything above 1400mhz even with under voltages CPU results in throttling within 1-2 min, but even like that at 1400mhz and GPU set to be always used and at minimum of 480mhz (with setting in dev options to always use gpu for 2d composition) the performance was really much much better then the stock settings.

I have continued to play with it and noticed that if i apply pressure with my fingers on the back panel just below the camera where is the most hottest, the temps are dropping 10-15C, so i have opened it and i saw the issue.
    The issue is that the metal shield radiators does not make a good contact with the thermal pad on the back panel, and thus can't dissipate the heat well. This may variety from user to user as some back panels will make better or worse contact, but its far from ideal.
    Its good that i have some spare thermal pads around and i have applied them, and the result is perfect, drop in 12-17Cfrom stock setup under continues stress.

As a final result i have managed to bump the CPU from 1400mhz to 1600mhz with 1087mV voltage and at max 84C (down from around 90 at 1400mhz) at constant 100% CPU stress. The performance gains are around 100 to 150% (At around 42-47k GIPS up from 20-25k GIPS stock in CPU Throttling test). Additionally i have to say, its extremely easy to open the back cover panel.

Furthermore, i made an video to see how it runs and the settings i use.

https://youtu.be/_UJdjPDQB00

I'm attaching before and after the mod photos.
    how's your battery life with minimum CPU speed at 1600

Screen on & Standby time?

Its not the minimum CPU frequency that gives you the performance boost, its the maximum frequency limit at 1600mhz down from 1900mhz, as i explained, to gain the performance, you need to avoid CPU from overheating and throttle down itself to the ground. That's why the max frequency with the thermal pads and improved thermals is 300mhz below the stock 1900mhz, and without the pads my max stable frequency were 1400mhz (500mhz below stock).

The minimum frequency will only smooth out initial animations and things like that, but don't have much of an impact on the overall performance. With that said, increasing the minimum frequency ofc will eat more battery and you don't need it, you can safely set it to 650mhz (as low as it allows) and depending on your kernel governor policy should have the same or better battery life. As i said, the main gainer is preventing the CPU from overheating at 1900mhz and throttle down to 650mhz where it sits most of the time with stock settings.

In fact if you limit your max frequency to 1400 or 1600mhz depending on your stable thermal results, and set minimum to 650mhz, you will see the performance gain AND significantly increased battery life due to that CPU does not go to 1900mhz and does not eat that much power and voltage. You really need to fine tune it depending on your needs, but at stock CPU throttling down to 650mhz and staying there is an manufacturer (Samsung) failure, and if i were discovered this when i bought it, i would wanted refund, as they advertise 1900mhz CPU which almost never works at that frequency.

I tested this method on other tablets and phones, and while it happens on other devices to throttle down after 5-7 mins (not after 15 sec), i have never seen to throttle more then down to 80% of the advertised frequency, but the Tab S goes almost immediately down to 35% where it stays and cripple the device. Its really really bad engineering from Samsung.
    Quick followup, i have run 3D Mark benchmark and PCmark, see the screenshots below. Managed to achieve the world fastest Tab S, enjoy :cool:
    Thanks!!!

20200221_143859.jpg20200221_215432.jpg20200221_215445.jpg20200221_215532.jpg20200221_215549.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    How about t700?
    Same CPU,Same GPU
    Can i try with the same voltage and mhz?
    Thanks

You can apply the same method to find out the situation, but voltages and frequency would be different i guess.