• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[MOD] This is why nexus 7 has screen lift problem

Search This thread

wl030827

Aug 7, 2012
I have got nexus 7 for almost a month and the screen lift problem always bother me.
I'm a user in China so I can't get a replacement.So I disassemble it and find out why screen lift.

DSCF3866.JPG

DSCF3867.JPG

DSCF3870.JPG

DSCF3871.JPG

The design of ASUS is really bad.The double-sided tape is extremely fine to give the place for touch screen cable.And the double-sided tape itself is bad,weak viscous.

I replaced the double-sided tape with a more viscous tape.It works fine now.

DSCF3868.JPG

DSCF3869.JPG

------------------------------------------------NEW-----------------------------------------------

After a night,the screen lift again.So I have to disassemble it again to stick the touch screen to the bracket,use the AB Glue.
DSCF3873.JPG

The screw hole must be stick to the back of screen to get enough strength to hold the touch screen.

DSCF3872.JPG

DSCF3874.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF3866.JPG
    DSCF3866.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 3,392
  • DSCF3867.JPG
    DSCF3867.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 2,980
  • DSCF3868.JPG
    DSCF3868.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 2,744
  • DSCF3869.JPG
    DSCF3869.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 2,668
  • DSCF3870.JPG
    DSCF3870.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 2,449
  • DSCF3871.JPG
    DSCF3871.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 2,196
  • DSCF3872.JPG
    DSCF3872.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 1,758
  • DSCF3873.JPG
    DSCF3873.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 1,662
  • DSCF3874.JPG
    DSCF3874.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,608
Last edited:

boldav50

Aug 11, 2012
glue it

I added a little 5 minute epoxy to the left side that was lifting and I haven't had any problems for the last couple weeks. Simple problem, simple solution.

neotekz

Oct 7, 2007
Ottawa
that top layer in the first few pics with the tape hanging from it is the gorilla glass? it looks like you didnt remove any of the internals, just the screws? how did you separate the gorilla glass like that? i want to try this but just worry about breaking the glass layer.

pxlitup

Jul 16, 2012
Good work, and I think you're right. Someone on here did a heatgun teardown and arrived at similar conclusions.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=29194958&postcount=372

I would encourage everyone to read his analysis, but I'll summarize it here.

There is a ledge around the inside of the frame. It is covered with double-sided tape. The display rests on this ledge and relies on its adhesion to stay seated. The ledges for the top and bottom sides of the device are the widest (12 and 16 mm), and the right ledge is 6.5 millimeters.

The left ledge is the only side that isn't a constant width. The top and bottom portions of the left ledge are 3 mm, but there is a middle portion that is even narrower to make room for the touchscreen input cable. It's only 1.5 mm wide.

Since this is the common point of separation, it seems likely that the adhesive on the left ledge is not strong enough to securely fasten the display to such a minor contact area.

Although some other factor should be required to actually force the underside of the screen to detach from the adhesive ledge, whether that force is frame warp, pressure from internal components, or something else, the minimal adhesive contact area would explain why the left side would be the most vulnerable to stress.

Do you have any opinion on what is actually causing the screen to lift away from the adhesive strip on the left side?

Or is the adhesive is of such low quality that the screen could separate on its own due to heat and general use?

Thank you for doing this. I look forward to your further analysis.

Reactions: nybmx

wl030827

Aug 7, 2012
Good work, and I think you're right. Someone on here did a heatgun teardown and arrived at similar conclusions.

There is a ledge around the inside of the frame. It is covered with double-sided tape. The display rests on this ledge and relies on its adhesion to stay seated. The ledges for the top and bottom sides of the device are the widest (12 and 16 mm), and the right ledge is 6.5 millimeters.

The left ledge is the only side that isn't a constant width. The top and bottom portions of the left ledge are 3 mm, but there is a middle portion that is even narrower to make room for the touchscreen input cable. It's only 1.5 mm wide.

Since this is the common point of separation, it seems likely that the adhesive on the left ledge is not strong enough to securely fasten the display to such a minor contact area.

Although some other factor should be required to actually force the underside of the screen to detach from the adhesive ledge, whether that force is frame warp, pressure from internal components, or something else, the minimal adhesive contact area would explain why the left side would be the most vulnerable to stress.

Do you have any opinion on what is actually causing the screen to lift away from the adhesive strip on the left side?

Or is the adhesive is of such low quality that the screen could separate on its own due to heat and general use?

updated.Change the tape is useless.

Reactions: pxlitup

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have got nexus 7 for almost a month and the screen lift problem always bother me.
    I'm a user in China so I can't get a replacement.So I disassemble it and find out why screen lift.

DSCF3866.JPG

DSCF3867.JPG

DSCF3870.JPG

DSCF3871.JPG

The design of ASUS is really bad.The double-sided tape is extremely fine to give the place for touch screen cable.And the double-sided tape itself is bad,weak viscous.

I replaced the double-sided tape with a more viscous tape.It works fine now.

DSCF3868.JPG

DSCF3869.JPG

------------------------------------------------NEW-----------------------------------------------

After a night,the screen lift again.So I have to disassemble it again to stick the touch screen to the bracket,use the AB Glue.
    DSCF3873.JPG

The screw hole must be stick to the back of screen to get enough strength to hold the touch screen.

DSCF3872.JPG

DSCF3874.JPG

updated.Change the tape is useless.