[MOD] Trackball Notifications in Succession [v 0.5] (CM-5.0.5.3)

Search This thread

qvert

Oct 10, 2008
testet it on modaco custom rom 1.7

it seems to be not working, don't get any notifacation led flashing expect from touiteur

TapaH

Jan 17, 2010
Ihave a problem after installing - led flashing for a few times after message appears and then stop working until I'll press power button, then it will continue blinking as it have too.

rotohammer

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
I ran a test, sent an email and a text message to myself, and I got two successive lights (pink and yellow). After reading them, I have the email color (pink) flashing continuously. every two seconds.

After reboot, trackball blinking has stopped.

I'll see if I can figure out the exact sequence of events that triggered it.

Edit: It just appears that after reading an email, it doesn't reset blink to off.

FWIW, I use k-9 as my email client, although I do have the stock email app configured as well.

Last edited:

gavindi

Mar 21, 2006
I ran a test, sent an email and a text message to myself, and I got two successive lights (pink and yellow). After reading them, I have the email color (pink) flashing continuously. every two seconds.

After reboot, trackball blinking has stopped.

I'll see if I can figure out the exact sequence of events that triggered it.

Yep. Happening to me too. :( Bummer.

kep0ne

May 20, 2007
Also having the issue where trackball wont light up anymore when screen is off. Power on will fix it, but then it'll stop again once the screen dims.

Sitting here typing this, just noticed the lights flash on again...but it's very sporadic. Fast green blinking about 5 times, then one blue flash (twidroid)...then it stopped completely.

Hope to get this working again at some point, it was a nice mod.

metalhead8816

Jan 28, 2010
You get multiple for the same color because you get several notifications with the same color. I missed this initially and I have a fix. It will be uploaded later tonight.

metalhead8816

Jan 28, 2010
Also having the issue where trackball wont light up anymore when screen is off. Power on will fix it, but then it'll stop again once the screen dims.

Sitting here typing this, just noticed the lights flash on again...but it's very sporadic. Fast green blinking about 5 times, then one blue flash (twidroid)...then it stopped completely.

Hope to get this working again at some point, it was a nice mod.

A log of this would be nice. Not really sure where to start with this since I am not seeing this issue.

rotohammer

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
I'd just like to make sure this is working as expected.

I reboot the phone, power the screen off.
Send myself a text.
Phone receives text, trackball flashes 2 time and stops.
About 1 minute later, it flashes a bunch of times, then stops.
Thats it, no more flashes for the next 10 minutes.
Press power button, screen turns on, trackball flashes continuous.
I read text message, light goes out, as expected.

Power screen off again.
Send myself an email, K-9 is set for 1 minute polling.
Phone receives email, trackball flashes 5 times.
10 seconds later, trackball flashes continuously ~ 30 seconds till the next email poll, where it flashes white, then all flashing stops for a minute, then starts again. Sometimes it flashes white followed by just one purple (email) flash, sometimes 20 times.

FWIW, my normal poll interval is 30 minutes, so based on this behavior, I'd only see the email notification once every 30 mins!
Which I'll test again now.

So far, I received an email, one white flash (poll), 2 purple flashes, ~10 second pause followed by 5 purple flashes. Pause of ~40 seconds, 7 purple flashes. Pause 5 minutes so far. I'll wait to see if after 30 minutes I get a flash. Display is still in the off state. I know if I turn the display on, the trackball will flash.

Just got a purple flash after 8 mins or so. I need to use a timer.

2.5 minutes later I got continuous flashes for the next 2 minutes.

Is it possible some other apps are waking up the phone at odd intervals, causing the trackball flash to be active during those periods of time only?

Last edited:

metalhead8816

Jan 28, 2010
I'd just like to make sure this is working as expected.

I reboot the phone, power the screen off.
Send myself a text.
Phone receives text, trackball flashes 2 time and stops.
About 1 minute later, it flashes a bunch of times, then stops.
Thats it, no more flashes for the next 10 minutes.
Press power button, screen turns on, trackball flashes continuous.
I read text message, light goes out, as expected.

Power screen off again.
Send myself an email, K-9 is set for 1 minute polling.
Phone receives email, trackball flashes 5 times.
10 seconds later, trackball flashes continuously ~ 30 seconds till the next email poll, where it flashes white, then all flashing stops for a minute, then starts again. Sometimes it flashes white followed by just one purple (email) flash, sometimes 20 times.

FWIW, my normal poll interval is 30 minutes, so based on this behavior, I'd only see the email notification once every 30 mins!
Which I'll test again now.

So far, I received an email, one white flash (poll), 2 purple flashes, ~10 second pause followed by 5 purple flashes. Pause of ~40 seconds, 7 purple flashes. Pause 5 minutes so far. I'll wait to see if after 30 minutes I get a flash. Display is still in the off state. I know if I turn the display on, the trackball will flash.

Just got a purple flash after 8 mins or so. I need to use a timer.

2.5 minutes later I got continuous flashes for the next 2 minutes.

Is it possible some other apps are waking up the phone at odd intervals, causing the trackball flash to be active during those periods of time only?

Are you using v0.3?

That's an interesting point you bring up at the end. I wonder if your phone is sleeping properly and maybe mine is not. That could be why I'm not seeing this behavior.

It should keep flashing once you get the notification until you cancel it or touch the notification bar.

Last edited:

pikipirs

Jan 23, 2009
android.ccpcreations.com
/.../ I wonder if your phone is sleeping properly and maybe mine is not. That could be why I'm not seeing this behavior.

It should keep flashing once you get the notification until you cancel it or touch the notification bar.

Do you intentionally wake the CPU for every color change? I think that the device needs to be awake for the color to be able to change.

If not then your device might in fact have a "sleeping problem". How's your battery holding up? Maybe that's the reason some people seem to get horrible battery times with CM 5.0.4.1.

The trackball stops flashing as soon as I put the device to sleep. Then every 5 minutes or so one color starts flashing, then 5 minutes later maybe stops flashing again or another color starts and so on. So my guess would be that the N1 wakes up every once in a while to check for mail/refresh tweets/etc.. and that's when your modification takes a chance and changes the trackball color.

PS: currently having 3 notifications since the N1 is asleep; trackball color just turned from green (SMS) to cyan (missed call) after about 5 mins. Haven't seen red (unread gmail) yet.

PSS: just started blinking red :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I threw together this white text version, this is untested tho as I'm running CM6 nightly builds now.

Rename to services.jar & push, as usual...

Works perfect, thanks!

I really need to learn how to modify these myself. Any tips on where to start of what applications I need?
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone