• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[MOD][TUT]How To Center The Clock On The XZ!

Search This thread

Ticklefish

Recognized Themer
Oct 27, 2011
Hampshire, UK
Centering the clock on the statusbar is one of the most requested mods in this forum. But it's not always that easy knowing quite how to do it.

So how do you do it?

Well, let me tell you!

You'll need to decompile SystemUI.apk first. There's a lot of tools out there to do this with. Personally I'd recommend using Tickle My Android, for reasons that may be obvious...
But whatever you use, you'll need to edit status_bar.xml in the layout folder. If you have any problems getting to this stage, consult your tool's documentation or feel free to ask here.

For the stock rom, it'll look like this:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<com.android.systemui.statusbar.phone.PhoneStatusBarView android:orientation="vertical" android:id="@id/status_bar" android:background="@drawable/status_bar_background" android:focusable="true" android:fitsSystemWindows="true" android:descendantFocusability="afterDescendants"
  xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
  xmlns:systemui="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/com.android.systemui">
    <ImageView android:id="@id/notification_lights_out" android:paddingLeft="6.0dip" android:paddingBottom="2.0dip" android:visibility="gone" android:layout_width="@dimen/status_bar_icon_size" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:src="@drawable/ic_sysbar_lights_out_dot_small" android:scaleType="center" />
    <LinearLayout android:orientation="horizontal" android:id="@id/icons" android:paddingLeft="6.0dip" android:paddingRight="6.0dip" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent">
        <com.sonymobile.systemui.statusbar.operator.OperatorLabel android:textColor="#ff808080" android:gravity="left|center" android:paddingRight="4.0dip" android:visibility="visible" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:singleLine="true" style="@style/StatusBarNotificationText" />
        <com.android.systemui.statusbar.StatusBarIconView android:id="@id/moreIcon" android:visibility="gone" android:layout_width="@dimen/status_bar_icon_size" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:src="@drawable/stat_notify_more" />
        <com.android.systemui.statusbar.phone.IconPartitioner android:id="@id/notification_icon_area" android:layout_width="0.0dip" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:layout_weight="1.0">
            <com.android.systemui.statusbar.phone.IconMerger android:gravity="center_vertical" android:orientation="horizontal" android:id="@id/notificationIcons" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" />
            <LinearLayout android:gravity="center_vertical" android:orientation="horizontal" android:id="@id/statusIcons" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" />
        </com.android.systemui.statusbar.phone.IconPartitioner>
        <LinearLayout android:gravity="center" android:orientation="horizontal" android:id="@id/signal_battery_cluster" android:paddingLeft="2.0dip" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent">
            <include android:id="@id/signal_cluster" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" layout="@layout/signal_cluster_view" />
            <TextView android:layout_gravity="left|center" android:id="@id/battery_text" android:paddingLeft="4.0dip" android:visibility="gone" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:text="@string/status_bar_settings_settings_button" android:singleLine="true" style="@style/StatusBarNotificationText" />
            <ImageView android:id="@id/battery" android:paddingLeft="4.0dip" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" />
        </LinearLayout>
        <com.android.systemui.statusbar.policy.Clock android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" android:gravity="left|center" android:id="@id/clock" android:paddingLeft="6.0dip" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:singleLine="true" />
    </LinearLayout>
    <LinearLayout android:orientation="horizontal" android:id="@id/ticker" android:paddingLeft="6.0dip" android:animationCache="false" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent">
        <ImageSwitcher android:id="@id/tickerIcon" android:layout_width="@dimen/status_bar_icon_size" android:layout_height="@dimen/status_bar_icon_size" android:layout_marginRight="4.0dip">
            <com.android.systemui.statusbar.AnimatedImageView android:layout_width="@dimen/status_bar_icon_size" android:layout_height="@dimen/status_bar_icon_size" android:scaleType="center" />
            <com.android.systemui.statusbar.AnimatedImageView android:layout_width="@dimen/status_bar_icon_size" android:layout_height="@dimen/status_bar_icon_size" android:scaleType="center" />
        </ImageSwitcher>
        <com.android.systemui.statusbar.phone.TickerView android:id="@id/tickerText" android:paddingTop="2.0dip" android:paddingRight="10.0dip" android:layout_width="0.0dip" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_weight="1.0">
            <TextView android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.PhoneTicker" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:singleLine="true" />
            <TextView android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.PhoneTicker" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:singleLine="true" />
        </com.android.systemui.statusbar.phone.TickerView>
    </LinearLayout>
</com.android.systemui.statusbar.phone.PhoneStatusBarView>

Now, some very clever person came up with the perfect way to center the clock without any issues. You'll find it here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1767593

Using this, we come up with the following code:

Code:
<com.android.systemui.statusbar.phone.PhoneStatusBarView android:orientation="vertical" android:id="@id/status_bar" android:background="@drawable/status_bar_background" android:focusable="true" android:fitsSystemWindows="true" android:descendantFocusability="afterDescendants"
    <ImageView android:id="@id/notification_lights_out" android:paddingLeft="6.0dip" android:paddingBottom="2.0dip" android:visibility="gone" android:layout_width="@dimen/status_bar_icon_size" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:src="@drawable/ic_sysbar_lights_out_dot_small" android:scaleType="center" />
    <LinearLayout android:orientation="horizontal" android:id="@id/icons" android:paddingLeft="6.0dip" android:paddingRight="6.0dip" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent">
		<LinearLayout android:id="@+id/statusbarleftside" android:orientation="horizontal" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:layout_weight="1.0">
			<com.sonymobile.systemui.statusbar.operator.OperatorLabel android:textColor="#ff808080" android:gravity="left|center" android:paddingRight="4.0dip" android:visibility="visible" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:singleLine="true" style="@style/StatusBarNotificationText" />
			<com.android.systemui.statusbar.StatusBarIconView android:id="@id/moreIcon" android:visibility="gone" android:layout_width="@dimen/status_bar_icon_size" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:src="@drawable/stat_notify_more" />
			<com.android.systemui.statusbar.phone.IconPartitioner android:id="@id/notification_icon_area" android:layout_width="0.0dip" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:layout_weight="1.0">
				<com.android.systemui.statusbar.phone.IconMerger android:gravity="center_vertical" android:orientation="horizontal" android:id="@id/notificationIcons" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" />
				<LinearLayout android:gravity="center_vertical" android:orientation="horizontal" android:id="@id/statusIcons" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" />
		</LinearLayout>
        <com.android.systemui.statusbar.policy.Clock android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" android:gravity="center" android:id="@id/clock" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:singleLine="true" />
		<RelativeLayout android:id="@+id/statusbarrightside" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:layout_weight="1.0">
			<LinearLayout android:id="@+id/statusbarinsiderightside" android:orientation="horizontal" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:layout_alignParentRight="true">
				<LinearLayout android:gravity="center" android:orientation="horizontal" android:id="@id/signal_battery_cluster" android:paddingLeft="2.0dip" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent">
					<include android:id="@id/signal_cluster" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" layout="@layout/signal_cluster_view" />
					<TextView android:layout_gravity="left|center" android:id="@id/battery_text" android:paddingLeft="4.0dip" android:visibility="gone" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:text="@string/status_bar_settings_settings_button" android:singleLine="true" style="@style/StatusBarNotificationText" />
					<ImageView android:id="@id/battery" android:paddingLeft="4.0dip" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="wrap_content" />
				</LinearLayout>
			</LinearLayout>
		</RelativeLayout>
    </LinearLayout>
    <LinearLayout android:orientation="horizontal" android:id="@id/ticker" android:paddingLeft="6.0dip" android:animationCache="false" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent">
        <ImageSwitcher android:id="@id/tickerIcon" android:layout_width="@dimen/status_bar_icon_size" android:layout_height="@dimen/status_bar_icon_size" android:layout_marginRight="4.0dip">
        </ImageSwitcher>
        <com.android.systemui.statusbar.phone.TickerView android:id="@id/tickerText" android:paddingTop="2.0dip" android:paddingRight="10.0dip" android:layout_width="0.0dip" android:layout_height="wrap_content" android:layout_weight="1.0">
    </LinearLayout>

Save, recompile and do all that sort of thing (again, consult your tool's instructions). Once the app is back on your phone, you should find your statusbar now looks like a little this:

picture.php

Obviously, this is a very brief, cut-down tutorial and it's very specific to the stock rom on this phone. If you want to know more about what's actually happening, or how to apply this to a different handset or rom, then check out that link I mentioned above.

Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------

Now, I am forever telling people to try to make these mods themselves. If you can understand how to do it, then you can do other mods and other mods and yet other mods and make your phone exactly the way you want it.
But, if you're having trouble, or you're not in a position to try this yourself, I've also attached (with thanks to @heretic) files for stock 4.2.

There are zips and apks for both odexed and deodexed roms. Flash the zips in CWM or TWRP.
If you have problems, you can copy the apk to your sdcard. From there, copy the apk to the internal system directory. Change the permissions and move the apk to the app folder. Reboot and there it is!
[/LIST]

Attachments

• DeodexedSystemUI.apk
    3.5 MB · Views: 131
  • OdexedSystemUI.apk
    3.3 MB · Views: 102
  • Deodexed4_2.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 102
  • Odexed4_2.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:

allevi

Nov 19, 2008
Milano
R: [MOD]Centered Statusbar Clock

Thanks but is possible to have stock status bar?
Wi-Fi and signal bar have a problem! :)

Inviato da Xperia Z

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362303403055.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362303403055.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 3,010

Ticklefish

Recognized Themer
Oct 27, 2011
Hampshire, UK
Re: [MOD]Centered Statusbar Clock

Thanks but is possible to have stock status bar?
Wi-Fi and signal bar have a problem! :)

Inviato da Xperia Z

OP updated with a new link. I'll update the screenshot in a moment, currently looking after three bad-tempered young children so it's a bit chaotic right now..lol

Sent from my Xperia Z using XDA Premium
..Have you tried Tickle My Android yet?

Ticklefish

Recognized Themer
Oct 27, 2011
Hampshire, UK

Wow a great themer just got the great device and releasing great mods! Thanks :)<br />
<br />
"Swyped" From My X10Mini Running SevenBean Stable3

Oh, I've got more coming. It's just finding the time to do them that's the problem..lol

Sent Using XDA Premium..

Have you Tickled Your Android lately?
(tinyurl.com/ticklemyandroid)

Reactions: pongnamu

ryan1mcq

May 5, 2011
Dunfermline
That's a bug with CWM recovery get the TWRP recovery instead from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2190936
It worked for me

ok cool thanks for the reply man, i'l try that :)

EDIT: installed ok and i flashed the zip, on reboot i had no status bar or nav bar and a black screen with only icons :/ have repaired using pc companion and will re-root and use TWRP from the get-go instead of cwm and report back.

EDIT2: After a fresh install of everything, this flashed first time no problem with TWRP :D

EDIT3: ffs, seems i cant have the centre clock mod and the softkey small size mod, centre clock worked fine then tried softkey mod and got the same original problem with black screen with no status bar or nav bar

Last edited:

niaboc79

Recognized Developer / Inactive RT
Sep 8, 2007
Enghien
www.nirvana-records.be
Hi Ticklefish,

I have problems using your method to center the clock.

All works but Quickpic force close each time I am opening an image.

I don't have force close if I put back in status_bar.xml <com.android.systemui.statusbar.phone.IconPartitioner ... > that you have removed but as you know the icons are not well displayed like that.

What do you think?

MRL3GS

Oct 26, 2012
Google Pixel 5
Hi Ticklefish,

I have problems using your method to center the clock.

All works but Quickpic force close each time I am opening an image.

I don't have force close if I put back in status_bar.xml <com.android.systemui.statusbar.phone.IconPartitioner ... > that you have removed but as you know the icons are not well displayed like that.

What do you think?

Have you managed to get it working beucse I keep geeting a boot loop :/ I have the xperia z and suggestions ?? :)

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium

Ticklefish

Recognized Themer
Oct 27, 2011
Hampshire, UK
Is this work on STOCK .253 rom???

:eek:

Possibly..have you tried?

Just tried, flashed ok but clock is still aligned on the right.

In that case, it didn't flash ok. lol

Because of the variety of roms, firmwares, odexed and deodexed systems, not to mention recoverys on this phone, I'll be replacing this mod with a tutorial in a short while. It's a bit more involved but it'll mean anybody can have this mod on their phone. Pretty neat, no?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Centering the clock on the statusbar is one of the most requested mods in this forum. But it's not always that easy knowing quite how to do it.

So how do you do it?

Well, let me tell you!

You'll need to decompile SystemUI.apk first. There's a lot of tools out there to do this with. Personally I'd recommend using Tickle My Android, for reasons that may be obvious...
    But whatever you use, you'll need to edit status_bar.xml in the layout folder. If you have any problems getting to this stage, consult your tool's documentation or feel free to ask here.

For the stock rom, it'll look like this:

Code:
            </LinearLayout>
            <com.android.systemui.statusbar.policy.Clock android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" android:gravity="left|center" android:id="@id/clock" android:paddingLeft="6.0dip" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:singleLine="true" />
        </LinearLayout>
            </ImageSwitcher>
        </LinearLayout>

Now, some very clever person came up with the perfect way to center the clock without any issues. You'll find it here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1767593

Using this, we come up with the following code:

Code:
    		<LinearLayout android:id="@+id/statusbarleftside" android:orientation="horizontal" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:layout_weight="1.0">
    		</LinearLayout>
            <com.android.systemui.statusbar.policy.Clock android:textAppearance="@style/TextAppearance.StatusBar.Clock" android:gravity="center" android:id="@id/clock" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:singleLine="true" />
    		<RelativeLayout android:id="@+id/statusbarrightside" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:layout_weight="1.0">
    			<LinearLayout android:id="@+id/statusbarinsiderightside" android:orientation="horizontal" android:layout_width="wrap_content" android:layout_height="fill_parent" android:layout_alignParentRight="true">
    				</LinearLayout>
    			</LinearLayout>
    		</RelativeLayout>
        </LinearLayout>
            </ImageSwitcher>
        </LinearLayout>

Save, recompile and do all that sort of thing (again, consult your tool's instructions). Once the app is back on your phone, you should find your statusbar now looks like a little this:

picture.php

Obviously, this is a very brief, cut-down tutorial and it's very specific to the stock rom on this phone. If you want to know more about what's actually happening, or how to apply this to a different handset or rom, then check out that link I mentioned above.

Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------

Now, I am forever telling people to try to make these mods themselves. If you can understand how to do it, then you can do other mods and other mods and yet other mods and make your phone exactly the way you want it.
    But, if you're having trouble, or you're not in a position to try this yourself, I've also attached (with thanks to @heretic) files for stock 4.2.

There are zips and apks for both odexed and deodexed roms. Flash the zips in CWM or TWRP.
    If you have problems, you can copy the apk to your sdcard. From there, copy the apk to the internal system directory. Change the permissions and move the apk to the app folder. Reboot and there it is!
    [/LIST]
    Your tutorial is very clear, it's just the stock status_bar.xml code differs slightly from the monxdified ROM,
    which is where I'm getting stuck.

Do u used monxDIFIED i1 or the monxDIFIED stock one?
    If the i1, u can used try the one from this link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=43648602
    Backup your SystemUI.apk 1st, in case it's not working..
    :)

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium

Wow a great themer just got the great device and releasing great mods! Thanks :)

Wow a great themer just got the great device and releasing great mods! Thanks :)<br />
    <br />

Oh, I've got more coming. It's just finding the time to do them that's the problem..lol

Sent Using XDA Premium..

Have you Tickled Your Android lately?
    (tinyurl.com/ticklemyandroid)
    OP updated with link for deodexed roms..