[MOD][Update: 12-Aug-2011]Rooted CG from CH Leak

Search This thread

r2beta0

Nov 8, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
Thanks to dangpzanco for the GREAT IDEA.

I finally got my Rooted GB working here. I can't provide a download link now but I'm going to do it later for sure.

Apparently there was a final signature check that was done somewhere after mounting the cache partition, preventing me from booting with a pure update.zip on top of froyo /system. Thanks to dangpzanco I could bypass it and get root.

Quick Guide (requires froyo, root and Droid2bootstrapper):
1. Download fixed SBF bellow. It's made from the CH leak containing ONLY: CG35.smg (boot) CG47.smg (recovery) CG61.smg (devtree) firmware.hmg (header) RAMDLD.smg (flash updater).
2. Download root_and_recovery.zip and copy it to SD Card.
3. Download full leaked SBF from General Forum (CH, signed) and use MotoAndroidDepacker to extract all images.
4. Copy the CG39.smg to /sdcard/
5. Boot into CWM
6. From CWM open adb shell and use this command: dd if=/sdcard/cg39.sm of=/dev/block/system
7. Still on CWM apply root_and_recovery.zip
8. Still on CWM wiped everything
9. Boot on bootloader and flash fixed SBF
10. Reboot

Attachments

• root_and_recovery.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 346
  • FixedSBF.7z
    3.5 MB · Views: 419
Last edited:
Reactions: Pzyduck and AdrienC

w0ndersp00n

May 10, 2010
I actually did the same thing! I read it somewhere in one of the topics. I installed Defy BootMenu instead of CWM. Works great! Right now I've almost removed all the Chinese crap and got the GApps working (from CM7).

I also removed the Blur items for the Chinese SN's. I'll see if I can get Twitter and Facebook working with it.

2nd-init would be nice too actually. Does the method provided in the other thread work with this ROM?

Edit: the instructions were indeed from dangpzanco!

Last edited:
Reactions: mvirus1983

w0ndersp00n

May 10, 2010
And right now I found a possible bug. My camera doesn't work. Everything is black and stays black. Photo's are take as they should however.

Can you check whether you have the same issue?

w0ndersp00n

May 10, 2010
Yes, I changed it to A953...

Maybe I have deleted something that was necessary for the viewfinder... But what xD

Edit: Allright, nevermind. Somehow a reboot fixed it :-D On to the next step :D

r2beta0

Nov 8, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
Something bad happened when I tried to apply 2nd-init on this. The phone rebooted just after 2nd M logo not allowing me to get into CWM. Wierd, since CWM should take place before 2nd-init. Will need to raflash froyo and start over. We should find a way to root Gingerbread without CWM to make things faster.

w0ndersp00n

May 10, 2010
That's odd indeed. I have to say, I think the CWM method of rooting is actually quite easy. For SuperOneClick I need to get my PC/laptop out every time and with the update.zip I can do it as I please.

I really hope you'll succeed wit 2nd-init. If you need help, just shout! Today and tomorrow I have enough time.

I'll make a nandroid of my current setup, so I can continue trying out stuff.

r2beta0

Nov 8, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
That's odd indeed. I have to say, I think the CWM method of rooting is actually quite easy. For SuperOneClick I need to get my PC/laptop out every time and with the update.zip I can do it as I please.

I really hope you'll succeed wit 2nd-init. If you need help, just shout! Today and tomorrow I have enough time.

I'll make a nandroid of my current setup, so I can continue trying out stuff.

Yeps, it is easy indeed, but to do it I need to SBF froyo before installing GB again. In other words if I mess up the phone I will need to flash 2 versions instead of one. That's why it would be easier to flash just GB.

dangpzanco

Dec 27, 2010
Hey there, nice I could help.
I think you could copy the /dev/block/system back after rooting and build the SBF with it.

@Milestone 2 (Finnaly on Gingerbread!)

walter79

Recognized Developer
Dec 18, 2006
you can try also this defy leaked gb rooted nandroid backup.

http://www.multiupload.com/SPZ8SIEC60

version 4.5.1-134 multilanguage.

use fixedsbf from new leaked milestone2 rom and milestone2patch from MS2Ginger thread.

In this rom /system/app/kpilogger.apk cause battery drain so delete it after install.

w0ndersp00n

May 10, 2010
Something is seriously wrong... My backlight never shuts down. It's black, but when it's dark you'll see it's still on!

I actually can't change the brightness from settings. So I did a complete reinstall and the problem persists!

I'm using brightcontrol app now to adjust the brightness, but does anyone else has this issue? Or is it something I did?

r2beta0

Nov 8, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
r2beta0 can you please upload the nandroid of your system?

I try to get adb in CWM but it didn't recognize it.

My system is messed. I still need to get 2nd-init to work. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to compile my custom version of logwrapper hijack. As I don't have experience in compiling stuff to ARM/Android it is being a pain in the a**. I'd appreciate some help here :)

dangpzanco

Dec 27, 2010
Try setting up a QEMU environment with the GB leak kernel's zImage.
Edit: Now we can port CM7!!! Devtree.img is now signed.

Last edited:

r2beta0

Nov 8, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
Try setting up a QEMU environment with the GB leak kernel's zImage

And how do I do that?

I tried some ways till this point:
- Installed CodeSourcery G++ Lite toolchain (could compile, but android didn't run)
- Installed NDK and tried some commands I could find on blog posts (no luck)
- Now I just finished setting up an ubuntu 10 VM with all the steps described on developer.android.com. I think I am now able to compile android system, but I don't want to as it will take a LOOONG time.

Do you know how do I build a specific module into android source? For example:
system/core/toolbox

I'm a developer, and have compiled stuff to run on linux/unix many times. But this ARM stuff is way complicated. Writing the code isn't the problem, but compiling is. Lots of flags I haven't seem before, and so on.

dangpzanco

Dec 27, 2010
http://and-developers.com/
Has a page just for compiling the kernel from source. (I can't remember the link)
I also got stuck when trying to compile from AOSP... but I think you need to have ALL the files downloaded from source (specially the big prebuilt folder) even if you want to compile a single binary.
Well I'm not sure of anything...

Edit:Now I read what you wrote... so never mind you got it.

r2beta0

Nov 8, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
http://and-developers.com/
Has a page just for compiling the kernel from source. (I can't remember the link)
I also got stuck when trying to compile from AOSP... but I think you need to have ALL the files downloaded from source (specially the big prebuilt folder) even if you want to compile a single binary.
Well I'm not sure of anything...

Edit:Now I read what you wrote... so never mind you got it.

Yeps I've made a full repo sync. It took 3 hours and is worth 6GB disk space :)

w0ndersp00n

May 10, 2010
Great news! Can't wait to see a true custom ROM working :)

Just thought I'd share what I've learned: don't mess too much with your build.prop :p Somehow my modifications were the reason of my backlight not working right and making every app crash that wanted to use a sensor. But it's working again :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks to dangpzanco for the GREAT IDEA.

I finally got my Rooted GB working here. I can't provide a download link now but I'm going to do it later for sure.

Apparently there was a final signature check that was done somewhere after mounting the cache partition, preventing me from booting with a pure update.zip on top of froyo /system. Thanks to dangpzanco I could bypass it and get root.

Quick Guide (requires froyo, root and Droid2bootstrapper):
    1. Download fixed SBF bellow. It's made from the CH leak containing ONLY: CG35.smg (boot) CG47.smg (recovery) CG61.smg (devtree) firmware.hmg (header) RAMDLD.smg (flash updater).
    2. Download root_and_recovery.zip and copy it to SD Card.
    3. Download full leaked SBF from General Forum (CH, signed) and use MotoAndroidDepacker to extract all images.
    4. Copy the CG39.smg to /sdcard/
    5. Boot into CWM
    6. From CWM open adb shell and use this command: dd if=/sdcard/cg39.sm of=/dev/block/system
    7. Still on CWM apply root_and_recovery.zip
    8. Still on CWM wiped everything
    9. Boot on bootloader and flash fixed SBF
    10. Reboot
    I actually did the same thing! I read it somewhere in one of the topics. I installed Defy BootMenu instead of CWM. Works great! Right now I've almost removed all the Chinese crap and got the GApps working (from CM7).

I also removed the Blur items for the Chinese SN's. I'll see if I can get Twitter and Facebook working with it.

2nd-init would be nice too actually. Does the method provided in the other thread work with this ROM?

Edit: the instructions were indeed from dangpzanco!
    Very cool! With CWMR 3.0+ formatting of /system is not a problem anymore. I've just made a custom update.zip for Defy's MIUI, and included Milestone2 CH boot, recovery and devtree. It worked without needing to SBF anything.

PS: I was on official GB before, that's why I needed to include recovery. If you have different version of boot recovery gets broken.
    Solved:
    1.Compass here is OK without fix.

2.The camera noises after booting is caused by gtalk.apk :mad:

3.Virtual keyboard half size : Maybe is the app itself setting. The most easiser method to solve is to replace it with a 3rd party keyboard.

Unsolved:
    1. ALT LOCK key from keyboard ( you can double press ALT instead of ALT LOCK :D)

2. Biggest problem: media HW play, only support .MP4 hardware decoding ( while I use CH 2.2.2, it support rmvb/MKV/AVI/WMV/MP4...HW decoding)

3. keyboard backlight is not working, though you can force it to light.

4. Wipe data (maybe and restore data ) are not working in CWM 4.x

The next problem is not so important and odd:
    5. It seems that if i choose reboot option and then go into custom recovery. It can mount my sdcard.

BTW, I visit the CM7 porting thread on droid2 global forum and they have same problem in ALT-LOCK.

And a guy in GFAN have do some test on keyboard backlight. It seems if we want to fix it we should edit the 2nd-init in ROM.

Edit: I try to replace some files to fix decoding issue and I found if I replace the .so under /system/lib, the phone will get stuck on 2nd M.

Recovery:
    - To fix it you have to edit /system/bootmenu/recovery/recovery.fstab and /system/bootmenu/recovery/sbin/mke2fs replace mmcblk1p25 for mmcblk1p26.

Media:
    Will try to replace the files in /system/lib for original 2.2
    libOMX.TI.720P.Decoder.so
    libOMX.TI.AAC.decode.so
    libOMX.TI.AMR.decode.so
    libOMX.TI.MP3.decode.so
    libOMX.TI.Video.Decoder.so
    libOMX.TI.WBAMR.decode.so
    libOMX.TI.WMA.decode.so

Edit: Some libs (*.so files) can't be replaced.
    Edit2: Just replacing sensors.jordan.so is not enough to get sensors working. Should I do something more?
    r2beta0, try this from my current system. It should help with your light/gravity senor.

ps: light.jordan.so is related to LED and charging light. A little bug is charging light not work when charging. ( same problem on the leaked GB )

Edit: 4:30 am. I have to sleep.