[MOD] Webtop over HDMI Hack for Atrix GB 2.3.4 (HKTW, AT&T 4.5.91, ORFR 4.5.2A)

_unknown

Aug 29, 2009
I am pleased to announce that I've patched the Atrix webtop files, allowing us to run webtop over HDMI on HKTW, AT&T 4.5.91 and ORFR 4.5.2A based system images (yes this will work on custom ROMs too), without the requirements of an official dock! :)

The goal is to enable the Webtop function over HDMI on any display, not just official Motorola Docks. There seem to be more HDMI display options that are disabled, for example: Clock Widget, Gallery, Music, Home. Sadly, none of these options actually do anything on the big screen, they just display the interface on the phone :(

However, Webtop works great! Just use the instructions below to replace the original DockService and PortalApp apk's.

Included are two versions of the DockService in the zip attached to this thread, one will enable only the additional Webtop mode for HDMI. The second one will be a "dev" version that enables every option, for those of you that are curious and/or want to try to get some of them to work over HDMI! Only one version of PortalApp is included, which is required for webtop to work, with both versions of the DockService.

One particularly interesting option that many of you are interested in is included in the dev build too: Mirror phone on display :D. Sadly, as stated above, it does not work (yet?). Will you get it to work? ;)

Requirements:
  • Have one of the supported build and functional webtop flashed
  • Be rooted
  • Be able to work with adb

First, unpack the attached zip-file.
Go into the correct directory for your version.
Now run (in a terminal)

Code:
adb push DockService.apk /sdcard/
adb push PortalApp.apk /sdcard/
adb shell
# you are now in the phone shell
su
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system
mv /system/app/DockService.apk /system/app/DockService.apk.bak
mv /system/app/PortalApp.apk /system/app/PortalApp.apk.bak
mv /system/app/DockService.odex /system/app/DockService.odex.bak
mv /system/app/PortalApp.odex /system/app/PortalApp.odex.bak
rm /data/dalvik-cache/*DockService* /data/dalvik-cache/*PortalApp*

cd /system/app
cp /sdcard/DockService.apk ./
cp /sdcard/PortalApp.apk ./
chown 0:0 ./DockService.apk
chown 0:0 ./PortalApp.apk
chmod 644 ./DockService.apk
chmod 644 ./PortalApp.apk

reboot
NOTE: if these instructions dazzle you, try Ronaldo's CWM package (for AT&T only!): http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=15871616&postcount=53
NOTE2: ignore errors concerning odex files if you are deodexed.
NOTE3: If you have issues with the Touchscreen Input not working, try a reboot first. If the problem doesn't go away: fastboot flash a (stock) webtop image for your base ROM. It is currently unclear what causes this problem, but my guess is a bad flash of the webtop partition, possibly CWM related. Reboot/reflash has solved the problem for a few people encountering this issue.

Thanks to Gizmo, eval & romracer!

Attachments

Last edited:

_unknown

Aug 29, 2009
More information on dev version

Some extra information on the different modes that are available (but currently non-functional):

• Clock: Transform your phone screen into a big clock with perks. See the time from afar, set alarms, play music, view photos and get live weather information. This mode was designed for your bedside but is useful in the kitchen and as a desk clock too.
  • WidgetDock: Get access to the same Android widgets, apps and shortcuts as on your phone home screen. Arrange them and change the wallpaper to your liking. All of which will be saved and applied the next time your dock your phone.
  • Mirror: Access and display all of the phone applications on a larger display
  • Other: Displays non-smart mode dock apps
  • Gallery: View photos and videos
  • Music: Access, listen, and share music

There is also mention of an "easport" option, with the following description: "Entertainment detailed description goes here. To be added later."

Although not working currently, they give a good insight in what is to come :D

Last edited:

eval-

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 24, 2008
Today, I am pleased to announce to you a modified DockService.apk which allows us to run webtop over HDMI on HKTW, without the requirements of an official dock! :)

Major thanks go to a friend who prefers to stay anonymous, but was key in solving this problem! And as always thanks to the ever-helpful eval- for his assistance :)
Bullshit, this was all you!! Awesome work, BTW =) Excited to go back to 2.3.4!

Reactions: DREWSASTER

_kansei_

Oct 3, 2007
Seattle, WA
Awesome work! I only used my atrix for a few minutes before flashing 2.3.4 so I have no idea how well this worked before, but I'm pleased. All I know is when I plug in the HDMI, it restarts into the webtop mode and it works well from there. The entertainment center app crashes but that isn't as a result of this, it definitely did that when I tried to run it before.

dicksteele

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 4, 2010
California
Awesome work! I only used my atrix for a few minutes before flashing 2.3.4 so I have no idea how well this worked before, but I'm pleased. All I know is when I plug in the HDMI, it restarts into the webtop mode and it works well from there. The entertainment center app crashes but that isn't as a result of this, it definitely did that when I tried to run it before.
Does your mouse work ? A majority, myself included, it does not ....

For the ones whose touchpad does not work.

Did you install the CG61.img or do the Update's for HKTW 2.3.4 - Roll-up of Fixes and Mods (Navalynt's Mod) that included the Webtop Fix?

I'm using Rollup tried version 1.4 and 1.5. Touchpad is broke ****.

Last edited:

dicksteele

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 4, 2010
California
I was having the same problem with the mouse I fixed it by reflashing webtop from fastboot.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App
Before I read your reply I said wtf and tried that before I gave up for the night and that was my fix also.

Now to start hacking it and get lxterminal going.

Thanks !!!

_kansei_

Oct 3, 2007
Seattle, WA
Does your mouse work ? A majority, myself included, it does not ....

For the ones whose touchpad does not work.

Did you install the CG61.img or do the Update's for HKTW 2.3.4 - Roll-up of Fixes and Mods (Navalynt's Mod) that included the Webtop Fix?

I'm using Rollup tried version 1.4 and 1.5. Touchpad is broke ****.
if by touchpad you mean using the screen of the phone as a touchpad, it's working fine. I don't have a lapdock to test, but I could walk over to the AT&T store in the AM to check it out.

Edit: if that is the case, and something is working on my Atrix but not on many others, I assure you it was just a lucky accident. I may be a systems engineer by date but by night I'm little more than an Android n00b. I'll gladly poke around on my device to collect info that might help others get their webtops sorted.

Last edited:

sifon187

Aug 20, 2010
Savannah, GA
I successfully flashed the webtop and the touchpad is working fine. But I did notice at times, GUI became unresponsive to the touchpad (touchscreen). It it not perfect, but it works :D

Fenny

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 28, 2007
See now this almost makes me wish I still had my Atrix...
I would love to tinker around with these APKs some more. Especially with the new options cropping up.
But, as it is I am doing it all blind... doing DEV for a phone you don't have is tricky business. :p

DJHile

Jan 28, 2008
Central Missouri
Awesome!! Worked perfect!

Installed using ADB via OP commands. Never flashed the CG61.img or the Update's for HKTW 2.3.4 - Roll-up of Fixes and Mods (Navalynt's Mod) that included the Webtop Fix and I am having absolutely NO problems using the screen as the mouse pad.

Make sure you followed all commands and set the permissions correctly with the chmod command.

No problems at all here, but I did flash the non-dev apk.... if you flashed the dev apk then that may be where the mouse pad issue is, I can not confirm.