[MOD] Webtop Via HDMI Without a Dock [CDMA/VZW] *Tentative support for intl as well.*

Search This thread

Fenny

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 28, 2007
F(x)tec Pro1-X
Google Pixel 6 Pro
--THIS IS FOR THE VERIZON DROID RAZR--

Go here for the test files for international version: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19900530&postcount=11

I have enough confirmations that I can now confirm this is working, However the on screen controls appear not to be launching currently, but webtop launches.

What this mod does:
It removes the device ID string check from PortalApp, and enables the webtop option in DockService. Replacing these two apk files effectively allows the webtop to launch without proprietary hardware.

What this means to you:
Webtop mode over any HDMI without an expensive dock.

Installation:

Method 1: Flashable ZIP

Method 2: ADB install
Download the attached apk files.
First Get the files to the device and remount /system as rw:
Code:
adb push DockService.apk /mnt/sdcard/
adb push PortalApp.apk /mnt/sdcard/
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw /system

Backup the original files:
Code:
mv /system/app/DockService.odex /system/app/DockService.odex.bak
mv /system/app/PortalApp.odex /system/app/PortalApp.odex.bak
cp /system/app/DockService.apk /system/app/DockService.apk.bak
cp /system/app/PortalApp.apk /system/app/PortalApp.apk.bak

Copy the modded files over fix permissions and reboot:
Code:
cp /mnt/sdcard/DockService.apk /system/app
cp /mnt/sdcard/PortalApp.apk /system/app
chmod 644 /system/app/DockService.apk
chmod 644 /system/app/PortalApp.apk
reboot

Appreciate my work? Buy Me a Beer:

Attachments

• WebtopMod-RAZR.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,753
  • DockService.apk
    163.6 KB · Views: 452
  • PortalApp.apk
    1.4 MB · Views: 417
Last edited:
You are awesome!! Thank You. As soon as I find a spare HDMI port on my TV I'm installing this.

Edit: Is there a way to revert back to stock without doing a ND restore. Only for warranty purposes of course, can't imagine anyone would even know though. <<Ignore that.

Last edited:

stevessvt

Nov 6, 2010
Lake Worth
Just installed it, and on the bionic after connecting to the tv, the phone became a mouse. Here the screen goes black and doesn't respond to touch.

stevessvt

Nov 6, 2010
Lake Worth
Yes, Verizon phone. Everything comes up great on the tv, The webtop option comes up on the list to choise from, when i hit webtop the tv comes on, the phone goes black, but no control of pointer at all.

stevessvt

Nov 6, 2010
Lake Worth
Flash. I flashed BigDX ics theme yesterday, maybe it has something to do with it, so restoring a nandroid backup of before and will flash the webtop hack again.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

Nope. Same. Phone screen goes black, no control of pointer.

That sucks stevessvt, maybe try installing via adb instead and see what happens.

I really want to try it on my GSM RAZR... Don't know what the difference would be. Anyone...?

EDIT:

My stock DockService.apk is 109kb - odex is 173kb, the PortalApp.apk is 1.21mb - odex is 591kb

Can anyone confirm the Verizon file sizes for me?

Last edited:

Fenny

Jun 28, 2007
F(x)tec Pro1-X
Google Pixel 6 Pro
You are awesome!! Thank You. As soon as I find a spare HDMI port on my TV I'm installing this.

Edit: Is there a way to revert back to stock without doing a ND restore. Only for warranty purposes of course, can't imagine anyone would even know though. <<Ignore that.

Try this one with method 2 for the international version: http://www.cheatersedge.org/android/RazrWebtopMod.rar

I'll try to look into the on screen mouse/keyboard issue. It may be slow going seeing as I don't actually have one of these devices to test on.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA App

Last edited:
Sadly everything I try it behaves as if I don't have root. I can get # in ADB just won't let me do anything in /system/app, says read only file system. :(

I tried to just rename and replace in root explorer but get a repeating force close on the Portalapp service.

I need a different way to mount read/write

Code:
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system
or
adb shell sysrw

idunno, not a ADB fan.

Last edited:

Astrowe

Jan 20, 2011
Prague
oh now i just got mad :mad: since the OTA i lost root so no Webtop for me. i don't wanna loose the OTA so i'm just gonna wait for somebody to find a way to get root again.. since i don't know how to do that.

Fenny

Jun 28, 2007
F(x)tec Pro1-X
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Sadly everything I try it behaves as if I don't have root. I can get # in ADB just won't let me do anything in /system/app, says read only file system. :(

I tried to just rename and replace in root explorer but get a repeating force close on the Portalapp service.

Code:
or
adb shell sysrw

idunno, not a ADB fan.

You can change the permissions with Root Explorer: Long hold on each file, and set RW- R-- R--, and then reboot, that ought to go it.

As for the command for the adb method it might be "mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system" Where "/dev/block/mtdblock3" is replaced with the actual block device for /system. You can check this by just typing "mount" and looking at the entry for /system.

Last edited:

shady_lanem

Aug 11, 2010
Borneo
Doesn't work on mine. As faras I know there are different version for gsm that could be the problem

Sent from my Razr XT910 using xda premium

pajn

Aug 13, 2009

Code:
or
adb shell sysrw

idunno, not a ADB fan.

You have to do
su
To login as root before.

Sent from my awsome Motorola RAZR

kholk

Retired Recognized Developer
May 20, 2007
Torino
Perfect!
I've asked to teach me how to make it, but it's the same. The important thing is that it is available, even if my curiosity reaches an unknown level.

Thanks!

P.S.: Please, edit the thread title to reflect this section rules!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    --THIS IS FOR THE VERIZON DROID RAZR--

Go here for the test files for international version: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19900530&postcount=11

I have enough confirmations that I can now confirm this is working, However the on screen controls appear not to be launching currently, but webtop launches.

What this mod does:
    It removes the device ID string check from PortalApp, and enables the webtop option in DockService. Replacing these two apk files effectively allows the webtop to launch without proprietary hardware.

What this means to you:
    Webtop mode over any HDMI without an expensive dock.

Installation:

Method 1: Flashable ZIP

Method 2: ADB install
    Download the attached apk files.
    First Get the files to the device and remount /system as rw:
    Code:
    adb push DockService.apk /mnt/sdcard/
    adb push PortalApp.apk /mnt/sdcard/
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o remount,rw /system

Backup the original files:
    Code:
    mv /system/app/DockService.odex /system/app/DockService.odex.bak
    mv /system/app/PortalApp.odex /system/app/PortalApp.odex.bak
    cp /system/app/DockService.apk /system/app/DockService.apk.bak
    cp /system/app/PortalApp.apk /system/app/PortalApp.apk.bak

Copy the modded files over fix permissions and reboot:
    Code:
    cp /mnt/sdcard/DockService.apk /system/app
    cp /mnt/sdcard/PortalApp.apk /system/app
    chmod 644 /system/app/DockService.apk
    chmod 644 /system/app/PortalApp.apk
    reboot

Appreciate my work? Buy Me a Beer:

Try this one with method 2 for the international version: http://www.cheatersedge.org/android/RazrWebtopMod.rar

I'll try to look into the on screen mouse/keyboard issue. It may be slow going seeing as I don't actually have one of these devices to test on.

For the bit with the screensaver not working, Can someone post a logcat of the error as it occurs?

I suspect that the On-screen keyboard not launching is related to that service not running. The method used to get this one launching was slightly different than with the previous couple devices, and so there is a possibility that I need to enable the launching of some background services somewhere. I just wish I had one to test with.

I for one would like to see the keyboard/ mouse fixed as well. Im honestly very supprised that there has been a million people needing this fixed!

dont take that as a why the **** havnt you fixed this! im just supprised that the issue just droped!

Any help or a point to another link that fixed this would be amazing.

Keyboard & mouse work fine with a handy little app called Nebtop. This is the thread you want: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1404625

Sent from my XT910 using xda premium