[MOD][XPOSED] Fire TV Mods by rbox

Search This thread

justinlarsen

Jul 26, 2016
Any chance of getting this updated for the newest firmware? I would be willing to donate quite a bit to see it alive again as its the only solution that worked for having the home button and onboot for kodi launcher.

tsynik

Dec 14, 2010
Does it need to be compiled or just clone as zip and install?
Nope, just get .apk in release dir and install / enable / reboot ;) It will switch to user launcher if exists (and freeze stock one) or unfreeze and use default KFTV Launcher in case there is no user launcher installed/enabled. Also it have Keyboard Switch dialogue on Menu long press.

Last edited:

tsynik

Dec 14, 2010
There was an update for the firestick 4k today and the cube gen 2. Would this work on the cube gen 2 also or just the 4k stick?
Thanks for the quick response and informative information
Do you have root on cube gen2? It _can_ work on any FireTV OS 6 with root and Xposed Framework installed.

tsynik

Dec 14, 2010
How does this leanback launcher fork compare to alpha 2? any major improvements?
Many of them: it doesn't duplicate shortcuts, have sections setup in prefs, user notification of needed permissions, working Wi-Fi signal and link to Preferences, etc.
That's how it looks on my FTV4K:

Attachments

• LN.jpg
    LN.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 361
  • LNP.jpg
    LNP.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:

tsynik

Dec 14, 2010
That's awesome. I'll try it tonight. Are you able to re arrange apps?
Yes, except Favorites row. You can also turn on/off Recommendations, Video, Music, Games rows (apps there also can be user arranged) and set max rows for them in launcher settings. Apps can be hided in Options launched by Menu button.

Last edited:

wwarwick

Jan 3, 2023
As a general update for this, this module does work with the original fire stick (montoya) running 5.0.5. I successfully got it working by installing xposed-v89-sdk22-arm.zip (other versions may work, this is just the one I found by googling "xposed sdk22 arm zip") with TWRP, Mouse Toggle for fire TV (version 1.11) (for marking the checkbox for the module on Xposed without a physical mouse), and AppStarter v4.0 as my launcher (although I'm pretty sure any other launcher would work, such as the Kodi launchers mentioned in this thread). Thanks rbox!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a collection of Fire TV mods using Xposed. It requires that you are on software version 51.1.4.0 or newer. It currently contains:

• AlternateLauncher: This will start an alternate launcher instead of the Amazon one. It will load when the Fire TV starts and anytime you push the home button. The way this is done is a little hokey and there is currently no way to turn it off or select which launcher you want, so if you have more than one, the one that gets started is it.
    • HideAmazonMenuItems: Gives a settings menu to select which menu items to show.
    • HideLauncherAds: Hide the ad at the top of the Home screen.
    • KeyBindings: Allows any key to start any app.
    • RecentsOnMenuLong: Bring up the recents dialog when long pressing the home button.
    HideAmazonMenuItems:
    In order to do this, I had to hijack an existing Settings item, so the Help option is gone and I put a 'Menu Items' option at the beginning of the settings list. You can turn on/off any item except Home and Settings. After making changes you must reboot to see the changes.

KeyBindings:
    Someone requested this, but doing a UI for it would be too complicated, and I figured I'd put the feature out there for people to use, and eventually get around to making a UI for it. For now, you'll have to configure it manually. Create a file called key_bindings.xml and make it look like this:
    Code:
    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8' standalone='yes' ?>
    <map>
    <string name="KEYCODE_F1">org.chromium.content_shell_apk</string>
    <string name="KEYCODE_F2_LONG">com.pandora.android.gtv</string>
    </map>

You can have as many entries as you like. You can find the KEYCODE names listed here: http://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/KeyEvent.html To set up a long press key put _LONG at the end of the key name. The other part is the package name you wish to start, org.chromium.content_shell_apk is Netflix. Then just adb push key_bindings.xml /sdcard/ and reboot. And it should start whatever app you specified when pressing that button. Do note that the button will not longer do whatever else it used to do. So if you bind ENTER to something, it will not longer function normally. By default, long press on home will launch the recents dialog. If you set up KEYCODE_HOME_LONG, it will override that behavior.

Starting with 51.1.5.0, Amazon provides a shortcut menu on home long press. If you would like to retain this functionality, you can use this key_bindings.xml file (Thanks to @Firef0xx819):
    Code:
    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8' standalone='yes' ?>
    <map>
    <string name="KEYCODE_HOME_LONG"></string>
    </map>

Please let me know if you have any issues. One problem I know of is that it doesn't seem to show up in the list of applications, so if you want to uninstall it you need to use adb, ssh, or a terminal using the command pm uninstall rbox.xposed.firetvmods

Source code: https://github.com/androidrbox/RboxFireTvMods/

Changelog and Downloads:
    • 1.4: Added HideLauncherAds
    • 1.3: Fix HideAmazonMenuItems for 51.1.4.0.
    • 1.2: Allow KeyBindings to support long press keys
    • 1.1: Added HideAmazonMenuItems, KeyBindings, and RecentsOnMenuLong
    • 1.0: Initial version
    Update. xposed installed fine. The problem was the result of using an out of date apk. That is fixed.

I am still having trouble with RBox's mods. Has anyone else had any success?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also RBox is the The Man. Thanks again for all you have done over the past year.

I don't imagine any part of it works still. I'll have to redo it all probably.
    I updated the OP with version 1.4 to hide those annoying ads on the main screen.
    Hi rbox,
    Thanks much for your hard work, and the great tools you've provided for us. Is this the best place to look for updates on the menu items issue? I updated the firmware to get the new Netflix app, but I really miss the menu items fix!

Thanks.

I just updated the OP with 1.3 which fixes the menu items in 51.1.4.0.
    Can you or anybody tell if it run with a KingRoot Fire OS 5 FireTV box gen1?

Greetings by Idijt

So this module is pretty busted in FireOS5. Not to mention the fact that you really should only be installing Xposed with recovery, which I haven't released for KingRoot rooted boxes yet. Once I get recovery for firetv1 done, I'm moving on to Fire Stick. Then once that is all done, I will revisit this module.