• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Mod][Xposed] Google Search Bar Destroyer

Search This thread

jeboo

Recognized Developer
Apr 2, 2010
Here's a quick Xposed module I whipped up to get rid of that unsightly Google Search Bar on the homescreen. I use a very generic hook point, so the search bar may also disappear in Google Now among many other possible places. I purposely do this for longevity of the patch (only one update since Sept '15). Thanks to theknut/GEL's Xposed module for providing some early hints on hook points.

(This module is not specific to the Axon, but it is my current device for testing)

http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.none.gsb_destroyer

Last edited:

maximuns

Apr 18, 2014
Here's a quick Xposed module I whipped up to get rid of that unsightly Google Search Bar on the homescreen. I use a very generic hook point, so the search bar may also disappear in Google Now among many other possible places. I purposely do this for longevity of the patch (only one update since Sept '15). Thanks to theknut/GEL's Xposed module for providing some early hints on hook points.

(This module is not specific to the Axon, but it is my current device for testing)

Does it make the space usable also? In Google now launcher, when removing the search bar, does the space become usable?
Thanks

GreySH

Jan 15, 2017
Hannover
I'm not sure that you can reclaim that space, as the Remove/Uninstall drop-shortcuts are there as well.

Just installed the module yesterday, I can't use that space (as jeboo said, the remove/uninstall-icons are there). I'm using a Aquaris X5 Plus, Android 6.0.1.
But, hey, that ugly search bar is..."destroyed"! ...wonderful!

Thank you jeboo (and also to theknut, even if XGels can't hide the bar within the latest Search version)!

Reactions: maximuns

This module is amazing. Take my money.

I would like to support development to see the space where the search bar used to be as usable space where widgets and icons can now be placed.

jeboo

Recognized Developer
Apr 2, 2010
It doesnt work on Resurrection Remix 5.8.5 (Nougat 7.1) for Samsung Note 3.

It's hard to say what the conflict could be without more information. Do they modify any Google apks as part of their mods? I've not heard any other bug reports, of course I'm only testing on the ZTE Axon 7 and Moto X Pure.

Notnilc

Jul 13, 2010
Do people have this working on Oreo 8.1? I'm on a Google PixleI 2 and can't get it to work. Other Xposed applications are working just fine.

Any ideas?

soren25

Apr 20, 2017
Do people have this working on Oreo 8.1? I'm on a Google PixleI 2 and can't get it to work. Other Xposed applications are working just fine.

Any ideas?
Potentially stupid question, but why not just use another launcher? Nova Launcher let's you remove the search bar, in addition to adding about a million other features.

Notnilc

Jul 13, 2010
Certainly not a stupid option. I was using Nova on my Pixel 1 when I didn't have Xposed. I'll most likely go back to that solution.

Reactions: ppooxp

superzanti

Dec 19, 2010
Any updates on this? I'm also on a Pixel 2 XL and the xposed module doesn't work. I'm also running oreo 8.1.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Does it make the space usable also? In Google now launcher, when removing the search bar, does the space become usable?
    Thanks

I'm not sure that you can reclaim that space, as the Remove/Uninstall drop-shortcuts are there as well.

Just installed the module yesterday, I can't use that space (as jeboo said, the remove/uninstall-icons are there). I'm using a Aquaris X5 Plus, Android 6.0.1.
    But, hey, that ugly search bar is..."destroyed"! ...wonderful!

Thank you jeboo (and also to theknut, even if XGels can't hide the bar within the latest Search version)!
    Certainly not a stupid option. I was using Nova on my Pixel 1 when I didn't have Xposed. I'll most likely go back to that solution.