[MOD][XPOSED] TickerToast BETA! Turns toasts into notifications in the status bar.

Search This thread

ryebread761

Aug 12, 2013
I am done with this. Module discontinued. I'm done fighting with that icon.

This was initially a request from http://www.reddit.com/user/Angelic276 on reddit. I decided it would be neat so put some time into it. Please note this is still quite buggy and the beta isn't up there just cause it sounds cool. Honestly, this was done as an experiment, and I don't think it will ever be perfect.

Doesn't work:
-Icon
-Sometimes toasts that are in a long "line up" will be delayed, this usually occurs after three or more toasts in succession.
-Code sucks
-?

All the goodies can be found on the repo (source, download, etc.): http://repo.xposed.info/module/ryebread761.tickertoast

Last edited:

Kocane

Apr 29, 2012
Seems to work pretty well. I dont really mind toasts, personally, I'd rather somehow disable tickers in various apps (Is this possible?)

Anyway... one app that it didnt work with was "Rescan SD Card". It simply crashes the app, which is an app that only has two toast msgs as 'interface'.

Just so you could fix the bug easier... unless I'm alone with this.

AaronCompNetSys

Jun 19, 2007
I'm not quite sure I understand why toast notifications became popular when notifications are the standard. I hate feeling like I have to read it fast or I'm going to miss something important. If you want to show a brief message that removes automatically, just cancel the notification bar one.

There always has to be something in an OS that causes anxiety, I swear its like a OS rule that all systems have.

---------- Post added at 01:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 AM ----------

I'd rather somehow disable tickers in various apps (Is this possible?)
What do you mean by this?

Kocane

Apr 29, 2012
What do you mean by this?

Like, for example, if someone writes me on Skype, it will show a ticker of the name and msg of the sender. I'd rather just it shows the skype "new message" notification icon. Some apps have a "privacy" option - alot dont. Not that I've any idea whether or not this is something that could be done with xposed, it was just a thought... a bit offtopic too, I'm afraid :p

AaronCompNetSys

Jun 19, 2007
Like, for example, if someone writes me on Skype, it will show a ticker of the name and msg of the sender. I'd rather just it shows the skype "new message" notification icon. Some apps have a "privacy" option - alot dont. Not that I've any idea whether or not this is something that could be done with xposed, it was just a thought... a bit offtopic too, I'm afraid :p
Ah, that does sound extremely annoying and breaks with normal Android behavior. May I could recommend a replacement via Tasker where it detects Skype message and creates a fake one of its own.

Kocane

Apr 29, 2012
Ah, that does sound extremely annoying and breaks with normal Android behavior. May I could recommend a replacement via Tasker where it detects Skype message and creates a fake one of its own.

Hard to expect Microsoft to do anything right. Their whole app is a mess but sadly they make sure to keep any alternative clients from existing or working properly.

The tasker alternative seems like a good idea! Can you point me in a direction on a guide how to do this? (I dont wanna keep the offtopic going in poor Ryebread's thread :p)

AaronCompNetSys

Jun 19, 2007
Hard to expect Microsoft to do anything right. Their whole app is a mess but sadly they make sure to keep any alternative clients from existing or working properly.

The tasker alternative seems like a good idea! Can you point me in a direction on a guide how to do this? (I dont wanna keep the offtopic going in poor Ryebread's thread :p)
I figured it would be a simple search, but this is the best I could find to get you started: http://androidforums.com/tasker/648438-tasker-can-not-detect-gmail-notifications-s3.html

Idea would be to detect notification, then see if detection still works after blocking the notification using Gravity Box's notification block feature. I know blocked notifications still show up in the OS notification queue when blocked on my Kit Kat ROM. Then create a notification from tasker that has Skype's icon and only launches the Skype app.

---------- Post added at 02:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

I'm not quite sure I understand why toast notifications became popular when notifications are the standard. I hate feeling like I have to read it fast or I'm going to miss something important. If you want to show a brief message that removes automatically, just cancel the notification bar one.
What the hell!?! I just saw my first clickable toast from the Gmail app... "Show new email from XDA..." which showed up when a thread subscribe email arrived while I was reading a message.

Really google, what is wrong with you. Now toasts are not toasts, stay on screen, and are clickable? Just show a freaking notification or something native to the app. I stared at it for a few seconds waiting to know what the crap was going on.

OP: sorry for pooping on your thread. Best of luck to you, nuke all the toasts.

Reactions: Kocane

ryebread761

Aug 12, 2013
Ya, that's supposed to happen. Do you like that or should I add an option to have the notification stay?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

ryebread761

Aug 12, 2013
Seems to work pretty well. I dont really mind toasts, personally, I'd rather somehow disable tickers in various apps (Is this possible?)

Anyway... one app that it didnt work with was "Rescan SD Card". It simply crashes the app, which is an app that only has two toast msgs as 'interface'.

Just so you could fix the bug easier... unless I'm alone with this.

I'll try to take a look later. Interesting though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Jimmy34742

Jul 1, 2011
成都
Ya, that's supposed to happen. Do you like that or should I add an option to have the notification stay?
The problem with toasts is that the user can miss them, so I assumed your app would make the toasts appear as notifications and linger until the user dismisses them. I guess the idea behind your app is, basically, to put the toast at the top of the phone so that the user doesn't obscure it with his own fingers while doing other stuff. But since we now have Burnt Toast and Buttered Toast, toasts have become more visible, so I actually find a brief display in the status bar easier to miss than a Burnt and Buttered toast.

In that case, yes, I would like the option to have toasts get converted to notifications so that they remain until manually dismissed. That way, you never have to worry about missing a toast if you look away from your phone. As a further refinement, the user could choose on a per app basis whether that app's toasts will be 1) left as system default-style toasts, 2) appear briefly in the status bar, or 3) get converted to a notification that the user has to manually clear.

joriswagter

Jun 26, 2013
Love it, i really hate toasts because they block my view and are annoying.

Would be great if you get the icons to work!

GT-i9300, CM11, Boeffla

BrownDog99

Dec 20, 2013
Cobourg
There is 2 apps in xposed to control toast. Untoaster stops toasts and enhanced toast which might be exactly what you are looking for blocks certain unwanted toasts.

Andronote3

Dec 31, 2013
Bayamón
Nice module. This is exactly what I was looking for. It would be perfect if you could get the icons to work. It would also be nice for some users to have the option to turn toasts into notifications. Thanx for sharing this.

Last edited:

xbdarkman

May 2, 2011
This is just perfect!! Now to get the volume spiders in the status bar

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

schloss

Feb 3, 2012
It's a pity that module is discontinued. Hope someone can improve the code. It shouldn't die that way.

ryebread761

Aug 12, 2013
It's a pity that module is discontinued. Hope someone can improve the code. It shouldn't die that way.

I didn't want it to die this way either. There became a point though where the code was so bad, that doing anything with this felt like a fight. This is something I did in my free time for fun. I usually enjoy coding, and making modules, but this one became more and more of a chore. As such, I decided to end development and move on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am done with this. Module discontinued. I'm done fighting with that icon.

This was initially a request from http://www.reddit.com/user/Angelic276 on reddit. I decided it would be neat so put some time into it. Please note this is still quite buggy and the beta isn't up there just cause it sounds cool. Honestly, this was done as an experiment, and I don't think it will ever be perfect.

Doesn't work:
    -Icon
    -Sometimes toasts that are in a long "line up" will be delayed, this usually occurs after three or more toasts in succession.
    -Code sucks
    -?

All the goodies can be found on the repo (source, download, etc.): http://repo.xposed.info/module/ryebread761.tickertoast

I didn't want it to die this way either. There became a point though where the code was so bad, that doing anything with this felt like a fight. This is something I did in my free time for fun. I usually enjoy coding, and making modules, but this one became more and more of a chore. As such, I decided to end development and move on.

I figured it would be a simple search, but this is the best I could find to get you started: http://androidforums.com/tasker/648438-tasker-can-not-detect-gmail-notifications-s3.html

Idea would be to detect notification, then see if detection still works after blocking the notification using Gravity Box's notification block feature. I know blocked notifications still show up in the OS notification queue when blocked on my Kit Kat ROM. Then create a notification from tasker that has Skype's icon and only launches the Skype app.

---------- Post added at 02:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

What the hell!?! I just saw my first clickable toast from the Gmail app... "Show new email from XDA..." which showed up when a thread subscribe email arrived while I was reading a message.

Really google, what is wrong with you. Now toasts are not toasts, stay on screen, and are clickable? Just show a freaking notification or something native to the app. I stared at it for a few seconds waiting to know what the crap was going on.

OP: sorry for pooping on your thread. Best of luck to you, nuke all the toasts.
    let me check out the mod