• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Modded recovery and boot images

Search This thread

kagero

Jan 9, 2009
thx

many thx for ur great work and also for the detailed step-by-step instructions from James Nylen for i am thefirst user in austria and nobody knows nothing about the phone ^^

tx alot :):):):)

amir1jk

Jan 12, 2009
ok so i download the file, and renamed it and all i did the alt-s thingy, but then when it says file cannot be loccated. i tried a billons of tiems. im running on rc29, i rooted.
another question. i accendently presses alt-w, and restored my phone i think? do i keep root

zackmpls

Jan 15, 2009
Another bonus in this recovery image is that ADB is enabled while in recovery mode. You can't adb into a shell (no sh binary), but you can at least use it to push and pull files from the device. For example, you could push an update.zip file to the sdcard.

I screwed up while installing a theme, and am now stuck on the G1 boot screen. Would pushing the v1.3 update.zip onto my card in recovery and running the update fix this? If so, I don't know how to push/pull files on the sdcard during recovery. Could someone help me out here? Thanks!

zackmpls

Jan 15, 2009
Never mind. I figured out how to push/pull files in recovery. Applying the RC30 update didn't work. I'm still stuck at the G1 startup screen. Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to start a new thread about this (can't figure out how to delete posts here- sorry for the double posts).

mlevin

Dec 8, 2008
Fairfax, VA
On another forum someone mentioned that after rooting and installing the JF version of RC30, they had Gtalk but not the other IM apps (specifically, they mentioned AIM). Is this right? Are there things missing? If I do a NAND-Backup first, and then restore after rooting, won't I get all the apps back?

sprime01

Oct 27, 2006
modified rc30 help

when ever i try to install the jesus freak modified rc30 i always gt stuck at this step:

Then “cat /data/local/recovery.img > recovery.img”

the phone would say that the os is read only (when it says that i go to droidsans and make the os read/writeable) after that it always say that the file doesnt exist

also since all my attempts to install my recovery mode doesnt load for the phone anymore it just makes light lines come acroos the screen, is there an automated (.exe) installer somewhere, i don't really want to go back to the regular rc30 without root access for rc29 is too buggy

LucidREM

Jan 18, 2009
Baltimore
www.lucidrem.us
when ever i try to install the jesus freak modified rc30 i always gt stuck at this step:

Then “cat /data/local/recovery.img > recovery.img”

the phone would say that the os is read only (when it says that i go to droidsans and make the os read/writeable) after that it always say that the file doesnt exist

also since all my attempts to install my recovery mode doesnt load for the phone anymore it just makes light lines come acroos the screen, is there an automated (.exe) installer somewhere, i don't really want to go back to the regular rc30 without root access for rc29 is too buggy

seems like you may have missed this step or something:
"adb push recovery_testkeys.img /data/local/recovery.img"

i always like to do "LS" to make sure the file exists before i move to the next step .. just a thought

does using droidsans work? legitimate access to modify the system? that's not a part of the walkthrough

sprime01

Oct 27, 2006
re

the step u mention works when i put it it's the next step the one i posted earlier that doesnt work, and when i use droidsans it does allow me to write on the file but it then says that the file is missing

danguyf

May 22, 2006
the step u mention works when i put it it's the next step the one i posted earlier that doesnt work, and when i use droidsans it does allow me to write on the file but it then says that the file is missing

I think I need a period or two in there; I have no clue what you just said.

DroidSans Tweaks doesn't write to recovery.img, so mounting /system/ as rw through it isn't telling you anything.

If it says that the file is missing then THE FILE IS MISSING. Do an "ls /data/local/" to see if it's there; if not then adb push the file.

BennyFlex

Feb 4, 2009
Hi, I'm running rc8, do I need to be root to push the moded recovery image to /data/local ?

I'm using a unit I perchased recently and would like to obtain root access, as I am not root I cannot view the contents of /data/, will I still be able to push to it from adb?

Thanks.

hablam1961

Feb 12, 2009
Question

Hi Guys, If after you downgrade to RC29 from RC33 to gain root access and at the point where you are suppose to see test keys so that you can update to the modified RC30 and you don't . Is it just a matter of the test key being the wrong place, wrong name, corrupt..etc..or is there something wrong..? when I try to start the process over (home & red) the screen stops at the boot screen (red,green, blue & white), it never continues on to the dreamimg.nbh. The phone is on RC29 but doesn't have root access & works fine...Any suggestions..Thanks

baomobile

Dec 9, 2005
Well, that does mean you have root, but that doesn't say anything about whether the boot.img was installed correctly. If you're telneting in, then you would have root access regardless of whether you are running a stock boot image or my modified one.

My boot image allows adb to connect to the phone as root. If you don't use adb, there's no reason to install my modified boot image.

Actually, there's an easier way to tell if you're running my boot image. Get to a command prompt (telnet, adb, terminal emulator app, whatever), and type

getprop ro.secure

If it says 0, then you correctly installed my boot image. Otherwise, if it says 1, you're still running the stock image.
Hello
My G1 had root already,and next step i do recovery mod partition to be able to go next step for HSPL,but when i go to su and get
C:\g1\tools>adb push recovery.img /data/local/recovery.img
1380 KB/s (0 bytes in 1767424.001s)

C:\g1\tools>adb shell
$ su
su
su: permission denied
what was i missing for?
Thanks for your help

baomobile

Dec 9, 2005
ok, all sorted!

copied the adb.exe + AdbWinApi.dll from the sdk/tools dir to /windows/systems32 sdk: http://dl.google.com/android/android-sdk-windows-1.0_r1.zip
installed usb drivers: http://code.google.com/android/intro/develop-and-debug.html#developingondevicehardware
rebooted pc
installed the terminal apk from here: http://www.helloandroid.com/
then follow instructions there to start telnetd
then netstat to get ip
then downloaded 'putty' and telnet into phone [ip + port 23]
then carry out option 5 on page, to copy 'su' to enable root from adb and terminal
go back to adb on pc, run 'adb shell' then type 'su' and you are at part two of the 'how to' in the first post of this thread! phew!
dont bother with the bootimage, use the update zip here which has the modified bootimage: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=445544

all done!! magic! thanks all for putting up with me not reading everything properly first!!

regards!
I spend 3 days and 3 night already,but still stuck on getting su permission.Can you clearlly step by steps please?I did connect with Putty successfull,but when type su it sayd not found
((((then carry out option 5 on page, to copy 'su' to enable root from adb and terminal)))))
i'm really get lost
Thanks

jacsonmoore3

May 13, 2008
Here is a zip file containing a modified recovery and boot image, as well as a few other things:
http://rapidshare.com/files/166164961/AndroidMod.zip
http://jf.nyquil.org/AndroidMod.zip
http://android-dls.com/forum/index.php?f=24&t=191&rb_v=viewtopic (see post for actual link to file)

NOTE: if you need a complete RC30 to v1.3 guide, see this page.

The recovery image (recovery_testkeys.img) uses the test keys that are distributed with the android platform source. This means that an OTA update or an update.zip update must be signed with the test key in order for it to install. In other words, it will no longer install OTA updates from t-mobile. You don't want them stealing back root access from you now do you? :).

I've also included the test keys and the SignApk.jar tool, so you can sign your own update scripts (for use only with the modified recovery image). You can resign any image, even if it has been signed before. So for example, if you needed to install an "official" t-mobile update, you must re-sign it with the test keys first.

Another bonus in this recovery image is that ADB is enabled while in recovery mode. You can't adb into a shell (no sh binary), but you can at least use it to push and pull files from the device. For example, you could push an update.zip file to the sdcard.

The boot image (boot_nosecure.img) has been modified so that adb has root access by default. So when you do an adb shell, you automatically get a root shell. You can remount the system image using adb, and then push files directly to the system partition.

Finally, the "update - Restore Original RC29 Boot Image.zip" file is an update.zip file signed with the test keys, which will restore your boot partition back to the stock RC29 image. Useful if you accidentally hose your boot partition..

To install the recovery image onto your phone:

Code:
D:\Android\AndroidMod>adb push recovery_testkeys.img /data/local/recovery.img
912 KB/s (0 bytes in 1767424.001s)

D:\Android\AndroidMod>adb shell
$ su
su
# mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
# cd /system
cd /system
# cat /data/local/recovery.img > recovery.img
cat /data/local/recovery.img > recovery.img
# flash_image recovery recovery.img
flash_image recovery recovery.img
#

Note: You must place the recovery image at /system/recovery.img. the init.rc boot script automatically flashes the recovery partition with that file every time you boot up the phone.

At this point, it's probably a good idea to reboot the phone into recovery mode, and make sure it loads OK. If the recovery image is corrupt somehow, it will throw you back into SPL mode (the multi-color bootloader screen). If that happens, just boot the phone normally, and reflash recovery image.

Once it boots into recovery mode, press alt+L, and the next to top line of text should say something like "using test keys.". If it doesn't, then you're still using the original recovery image.

Note: If you are planning on installing the modified RC30 update, you can ignore the following - there is no need to install the boot image. The update already has a newer, modified boot image.

Now that you know you have the modified recovery image loaded, you can install the boot image:

Code:
D:\Android\AndroidMod>adb push boot_nosecure.img /data/local/boot.img
939 KB/s (0 bytes in 1533952.001s)

$ su
su
# flash_image boot /data/local/boot.img
flash_image boot /data/local/boot.img
# rm /data/local/boot.img
rm /data/local/boot.img
#

Now reboot the phone and let it boot normally. If the boot image was corrupted, it will boot into recovery mode instead. You can use the included update zip file to reload the original RC29 boot image.

Otherwise, if it boots up normally, open a command prompt however you like (telnet, adb, terminal emulator app, etc.) and type "getprop ro.secure". If it says 0, then you're running the modified boot image. Otherwise, if it says 1, you're still running the original boot image.

man i tried this 10 times i im still on rc29..it just dont make nosense..can u make it easier..damn what the hell im doing wrong..it dont read when i push power+home..i think rooting ur phone is not good if u dont know what the hell u doing..LIKE ME..LMAO

DroidRC1

May 25, 2009
Fort Wayne, Indiana
k ive rooted my phone and im on jf1.5 but i dont have the recover.img with test keys..so i need to update my recover.img to 1.3..so ive downloaded it i tried flashing it with fastboot and on my computer i get error device not found..so i read this thread and i think i read that u can just place the recovery.img on your sdcard and go to recovery mode and pass alt+S to update or so that wrong wha do i have to do if im already rooted with a hardspl and jf1.5 plz help i like to do a back-up so i can get jf1.5.1..thanx

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a zip file containing a modified recovery and boot image, as well as a few other things:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/166164961/AndroidMod.zip
    http://jf.nyquil.org/AndroidMod.zip
    http://android-dls.com/forum/index.php?f=24&t=191&rb_v=viewtopic (see post for actual link to file)

NOTE: if you need a complete RC30 to v1.3 guide, see this page.

The recovery image (recovery_testkeys.img) uses the test keys that are distributed with the android platform source. This means that an OTA update or an update.zip update must be signed with the test key in order for it to install. In other words, it will no longer install OTA updates from t-mobile. You don't want them stealing back root access from you now do you? :).

I've also included the test keys and the SignApk.jar tool, so you can sign your own update scripts (for use only with the modified recovery image). You can resign any image, even if it has been signed before. So for example, if you needed to install an "official" t-mobile update, you must re-sign it with the test keys first.

The boot image (boot_nosecure.img) has been modified so that adb has root access by default. So when you do an adb shell, you automatically get a root shell. You can remount the system image using adb, and then push files directly to the system partition.

Finally, the "update - Restore Original RC29 Boot Image.zip" file is an update.zip file signed with the test keys, which will restore your boot partition back to the stock RC29 image. Useful if you accidentally hose your boot partition..

To install the recovery image onto your phone:

Code:
    D:\Android\AndroidMod>adb push recovery_testkeys.img /data/local/recovery.img
    912 KB/s (0 bytes in 1767424.001s)

$ su
    su
    # mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    # cd /system
    cd /system
    # cat /data/local/recovery.img > recovery.img
    cat /data/local/recovery.img > recovery.img
    # flash_image recovery recovery.img
    flash_image recovery recovery.img
    #

Note: You must place the recovery image at /system/recovery.img. the init.rc boot script automatically flashes the recovery partition with that file every time you boot up the phone.

At this point, it's probably a good idea to reboot the phone into recovery mode, and make sure it loads OK. If the recovery image is corrupt somehow, it will throw you back into SPL mode (the multi-color bootloader screen). If that happens, just boot the phone normally, and reflash recovery image.

Once it boots into recovery mode, press alt+L, and the next to top line of text should say something like "using test keys.". If it doesn't, then you're still using the original recovery image.

Note: If you are planning on installing the modified RC30 update, you can ignore the following - there is no need to install the boot image. The update already has a newer, modified boot image.

Now that you know you have the modified recovery image loaded, you can install the boot image:

Code:
    D:\Android\AndroidMod>adb push boot_nosecure.img /data/local/boot.img
    939 KB/s (0 bytes in 1533952.001s)

$ su
    su
    # flash_image boot /data/local/boot.img
    flash_image boot /data/local/boot.img
    # rm /data/local/boot.img
    rm /data/local/boot.img
    #

Now reboot the phone and let it boot normally. If the boot image was corrupted, it will boot into recovery mode instead. You can use the included update zip file to reload the original RC29 boot image.

Otherwise, if it boots up normally, open a command prompt however you like (telnet, adb, terminal emulator app, etc.) and type "getprop ro.secure". If it says 0, then you're running the modified boot image. Otherwise, if it says 1, you're still running the original boot image.
    Look at the original post. I added a link for the zip file..

thank you. Sorry