[MODDING] [TOOL] Fastboot binary for ARM machines (root required)

Search This thread

josteink

Feb 8, 2011
Oslo
Following the "if you didn't make it, it doesn't belong here (in the development section)" guideline, I'm posting this in General. If a mod thinks this fits better in development, feel free to move it.

What this is: A fastboot executable binary for using the fastboot protocol to control other devices which supports fastboot, like the Galaxy Nexus or other Nexus-phones.

What this isn't: Fastboot bootloader-support for the transformer.

What this doesn't come with: Any sort of warranties. You take this as is. If your fastboot-capable device explodes when using it, I take no responsibility.

With that said:

This is a seemingly fully functional fastboot binary, so that you can mod your Nexus phone from the transformer (you did know it ships with adb out of the box, right? ;) )

Usage:

To use it simply open a console and root up:

Code:
$ su
#

Ensure adb runs as root: (without root, adb wont be able to use the USB ports)

Code:
# adb kill-server
# adb start-server

Boot into bootloader:

Code:
# adb devices
-- your device here
# adb reboot bootloader

Still as root, run fastbootarm: (without root, fastboot wont be able to use the USB ports)

Code:
# fastbootarm devices
-- voila. your device here. mod along
# fastbootarm boot recovery-mylittlepony.img
-- etc

So far this thing has been confirmed working on the Asus Transformer TF101, Raspberry Pi and Nexus 7. Chances are it will work on any armel7 (or better) target.

Installation:

Fastboot arm is attached to this post. Download, unpack and copy to your transformer:

Code:
$ adb devices
-- your transformer here
$ adb push fastbootarm /sdcard/
$ adb shell
android$ su
# mount -o remount,rw /system
# cp /sdcard/fastbootarm /system/xbin/
# chmod 755 /system/xbin/fastbootarm 
# mount -o remount,ro /system
# exit
android$ exit
$

All credit to IEF on #asus-transformer / Freenode. It was compiled by him (since I tried and failed and asked super-duper-nicely) from the Android source using "general" build-target. As such, it might be useful on other Android-devices which also supports USB host mode.

Attachments

• fastbootarm.7z
    280.3 KB · Views: 3,308
Last edited:

wollac11

Aug 25, 2010
Cambridge
www.littlegreendude.com
Could this binary be run on a desktop linux distro such as Debian running on an ARM-based chip? Specifically I am wondering if I could use it to control my Nexus one from my Raspberry Pi which uses a Broadcom BCM2835 SoC containing a ARM1176JZFS CPU.

josteink

Feb 8, 2011
Oslo
I'm still not 100% familiar with the Raspberry Pi and wat Arm-type CPU it is, and if it's armel7 or whatever. Iirc this binary was compiled using an armel7 toolchain, so it should probably work on armel7 or better systems.

If the raspberry pi is same or better though, I don't know. I would hazard a guess to "maybe".

One thing is sure: It doesn't link to Android itself, so it should be able to run in any normal Linux-environment.

Try it, and report back? ;)

Reactions: wollac11

wollac11

Aug 25, 2010
Cambridge
www.littlegreendude.com
I'm still not 100% familiar with the Raspberry Pi and wat Arm-type CPU it is, and if it's armel7 or whatever. Iirc this binary was compiled using an armel7 toolchain, so it should probably work on armel7 or better systems.

If the raspberry pi is same or better though, I don't know. I would hazard a guess to "maybe".

One thing is sure: It doesn't link to Android itself, so it should be able to run in any normal Linux-environment.

I've given it a quick test and a can happily report that it works! :) Thanks a lot for compiling this. Do you mind if I link to this thread from the Raspberry Pi forums? I know many Pi owners are Android users and so would probably be interested.

Spidergio

Apr 22, 2012
Following the "if you didn't make it, it doesn't belong here (in the development section)" guideline, I'm posting this in General. If a mod thinks this fits better in development, feel free to move it.

What this is: A fastboot executable binary for using the fastboot protocol to control other devices which supports fastboot, like the Galaxy Nexus or other Nexus-phones.

What this doesn't come with: Any sort of warranties. You take this as is. If your fastboot-capable device explodes when using it, I take no responsibility.

With that said:

This is a seemingly fully functional fastboot binary, so that you can mod your Nexus phone from the transformer (you did know it ships with adb out of the box, right? ;) )

Usage:

Code:
$ su
#

Code:
# adb kill-server
# adb start-server

Boot into bootloader:

Code:
# adb devices
-- your device here
# adb reboot bootloader

Still as root, run fastbootarm: (without root, fastboot wont be able to use the USB ports)

Code:
# fastbootarm devices
-- etc

So far this thing has been confirmed working on the Asus Transformer TF101, Raspberry Pi and Nexus 7. Chances are it will work on any armel7 (or better) target.

Installation:

Fastboot arm is attached to this post. Download, unpack and copy to your transformer:

Code:
$ adb devices
-- your transformer here
$ adb shell
android$ su
# exit
android$ exit
$

All credit to IEF on #asus-transformer / Freenode. It was compiled by him (since I tried and failed and asked super-duper-nicely) from the Android source using "general" build-target. As such, it might be useful on other Android-devices which also supports USB host mode.

With this can i use the command fastboot oem unlock??

Sent from my nexus s using xda app

Reactions: tharu_roxx

mattchenzo

Aug 5, 2010
Anchorage, AK
This is fantastic! Been looking for this ability ever since February when I realized I owned 2 fantastic Android devices, a Galaxy Nexus and a tf201, but did not have a reliable PC to mod them with and was sick of borrowing my roommates... Thanks!

xtsuname

Jul 25, 2010
Anyone have fastbootarm working on JellyBean?

I wonder if OP could update the binary for JellyBean...

(I'm running stock tf201) (Do i maybe need busybox?)

josteink

Feb 8, 2011
Oslo
Doesn't it work on jellybean? News to me.

Care to print the output when you attempt to run it?

rebel1699

Feb 13, 2008
Oklahoma
Google Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 4 XL
I was glad to see this. I am running Ubuntu on my Nexus 7, and already had found an arm port for adb, so this was next on my list. Working great, but i renamed the binary to just fastboot. I would love to have the entire android sdk running, but cannot get past the swt.jar problem, and have no clue how to convert it to arm. Thanks for this share. If anyone needs the adb arm binary, just let me know and I will post it here.

Skyrocket on AOKP by R4ins

ThunderWolf78

Jul 27, 2011
Finally the N7 shines and that PC is less of a requirement, now only need a portable nuclear powerplant with 230 mains out that can be tucked into my backpack... :thumbup::D

Tapatalked from my h4x0r3d up Nexus 7.

user_error

Sep 9, 2010
I would love to see that ADB port in this thread.

Also, this is amazing. I have fastboot on my n7, hooked up to my gnex. Its like heaven. -- I am going to have to find that ADB port now (not that I ever use ADB myself). Eventually I may want to move to Ubuntu (once it is a bit further along), and it'd be nice to see both together.

Last edited:
Reactions: josteink

user_error

Sep 9, 2010
Here is the adb for arm.

http://db.tt/aTKpVYx8

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Awesome.. !!

Now I make myself feel dumb: This is installed in xbin just as fastboot, correct? And it is acceptable to remove .bin from the file, correct?

Also -- Gave fastboot a try on Galaxy Nexus and while I didn't get any errors spit back at me, it failed to find any devices attached to it, unlike the Nexus 7 which found anything I plugged into it. It is running v2.54 of paranoid android with the latest glados kernel (which is pretty old but I like it). Later I might try swapping through a few kernels, but unlikely any time soon (it can't take/make calls while flashing).

Now this whole thing has me thinking, could we just strip clean a copy of Ubuntu for ARM (ya know, the one they are building specifically for the Nexus 7 might work) and toss that stuff into android? I mean, after all, the most useful things there are going to be command line tools that android is missing. I don't know what kind of dependency issues might arise.

EDIT: after some quick looking - it turns out busybox comes with adb and quite a few other things. Always interested in expanding that further of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: tharu_roxx

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

With that said:

Usage:

Code:
    $ su
    #

Code:
    # adb kill-server
    # adb start-server

Boot into bootloader:

Code:
    # adb devices
    -- your device here
    # adb reboot bootloader

Code:
    # fastbootarm devices
    -- etc

Installation:

Code:
    $ adb devices
    -- your transformer here
    $ adb shell
    android$ su
    # exit
    android$ exit
    $

Here is the adb for arm.

http://db.tt/aTKpVYx8

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
    Unlocked the bootloader of a Xperia Ray Using my Xperia neo V(MT11i) great binary..... thanx!!!! :D:highfive:

vupyjyre.jpg

Sent from my MT11i using Tapatalk 2
    Awesome.. !!

Now I make myself feel dumb: This is installed in xbin just as fastboot, correct? And it is acceptable to remove .bin from the file, correct?

Also -- Gave fastboot a try on Galaxy Nexus and while I didn't get any errors spit back at me, it failed to find any devices attached to it, unlike the Nexus 7 which found anything I plugged into it. It is running v2.54 of paranoid android with the latest glados kernel (which is pretty old but I like it). Later I might try swapping through a few kernels, but unlikely any time soon (it can't take/make calls while flashing).

Now this whole thing has me thinking, could we just strip clean a copy of Ubuntu for ARM (ya know, the one they are building specifically for the Nexus 7 might work) and toss that stuff into android? I mean, after all, the most useful things there are going to be command line tools that android is missing. I don't know what kind of dependency issues might arise.

I dont have a transformer, but do have the Nexus 7 with ubuntu, and yes I use fastboot and adb from it. Works wonderfully. I can repair friends devices without a pc when out and about. Also yes, you can remove the .bin from the file name.

Skyrocket on AOKP by R4ins