modern alternative to nexus 7 with timurs ??

mamba76

Apr 16, 2018
Hi all, Im looking for a modern alternative to the classic Nexus 7 withs Timur's for a new car install. For last couple of years Iv had this. Its been great for it primary use (Spotify) but am just finding it old and tired now, never got round to getting GPS, DAB or all the other things I planned on, mainly its just a bit slow and buggy but I learnt alot about USB connectivity, noise control, power etc.
Being an audio quality freak Iv always used USB audio into a miniDSP. Just wondered if anyone knows what would make a good tablet for a modern replacement? A list of requirement are:-

1) Size . maximum width for my Audi is 211mm, other dimesions are fine. As long as same or bigger than the Nexus.
2) OTG power and data at same time (does this always require rooting?)
3) My first Huwaii experience put me off all other makes of touch screen other than galaxy or iphone. Are other makes just as good?
4) Automatic deep sleep mode when power to the tablet is off. (maybe tasker app?)
5) Operating speed
6) bells and wistles. The nexus has a suprising amount of tech inside for an old device

I was thinking of a pre owned S series galaxy. Just wondered if anyone has has success with a modern in-car tab install??

thanks

jivenene

Jun 24, 2008
Hi all, Im looking for a modern alternative to the classic Nexus 7 withs Timur's for a new car install. For last couple of years Iv had this. Its been great for it primary use (Spotify) but am just finding it old and tired now, never got round to getting GPS, DAB or all the other things I planned on, mainly its just a bit slow and buggy but I learnt alot about USB connectivity, noise control, power etc.
Being an audio quality freak Iv always used USB audio into a miniDSP. Just wondered if anyone knows what would make a good tablet for a modern replacement? A list of requirement are:-

1) Size . maximum width for my Audi is 211mm, other dimesions are fine. As long as same or bigger than the Nexus.
2) OTG power and data at same time (does this always require rooting?)
3) My first Huwaii experience put me off all other makes of touch screen other than galaxy or iphone. Are other makes just as good?
4) Automatic deep sleep mode when power to the tablet is off. (maybe tasker app?)
5) Operating speed
6) bells and wistles. The nexus has a suprising amount of tech inside for an old device

I was thinking of a pre owned S series galaxy. Just wondered if anyone has has success with a modern in-car tab install??

thanks
Hey @mamba76 wondering if you ever decided on a device? I'm in the same situation, can't seem to find anything that fulfills all the requirements. I have the same idea as you, using USB audio vs BT or analog. I'm thinking USB C is the way to go, newer tech, and hopefully can do data and charging simultaneously? Let us know what you decided on!

mamba76

Apr 16, 2018
Hey @mamba76 wondering if you ever decided on a device? I'm in the same situation, can't seem to find anything that fulfills all the requirements. I have the same idea as you, using USB audio vs BT or analog. I'm thinking USB C is the way to go, newer tech, and hopefully can do data and charging simultaneously? Let us know what you decided on!
Hi, I forgot I started this thread recently. Although the 2013 Nexus 7 with Timur's kernel has served me well over the last 3 or so years Iv been using it, its now just too buggy, slow and hardware is failing. I could have bought a new tab for the money I spent on spares, 2x USB PCBs, just ordered a battery as its given up. Iv been looking for a replacement, probably a Galaxy Tab A, I started researching but got bogged down with unknowns and Im hoping someone on here who's used the Timur's kernel and knows about custom car tablet installs can jump in here and help the car audio customization world move with the times.
For me I suppose Im stuck on- , do I still need to modify a devices kernel to comply with the deep sleep functioning that the Timur's kernel provided? Im pretty sure the audio to USB is not a problem but the audio to USB AND having the device charge at the same time IS. ie. data AND charge. Can anyone confirm that its possible to allow simultaneous data and charge on the Galaxy Tab A??
ps. in my opinion USB audio is the only way to go..

mamba76

Apr 16, 2018
Hi, I forgot I started this thread recently. Although the 2013 Nexus 7 with Timur's kernel has served me well over the last 3 or so years Iv been using it, its now just too buggy, slow and hardware is failing. I could have bought a new tab for the money I spent on spares, 2x USB PCBs, just ordered a battery as its given up. Iv been looking for a replacement, probably a Galaxy Tab A, I started researching but got bogged down with unknowns and Im hoping someone on here who's used the Timur's kernel and knows about custom car tablet installs can jump in here and help the car audio customization world move with the times.
For me I suppose Im stuck on- , do I still need to modify a devices kernel to comply with the deep sleep functioning that the Timur's kernel provided? Im pretty sure the audio to USB is not a problem but the audio to USB AND having the device charge at the same time IS. ie. data AND charge. Can anyone confirm that its possible to allow simultaneous data and charge on the Galaxy Tab A??
ps. in my opinion USB audio is the only way to go..
*update
jivenene

Hi, yes I bought a Lenovo M8 FHD tab (about £150) same width as the nexus so will fit in my car ash without too much hassle. Better spec than the Galaxy, very happy!
ps. see my other threads / posts about the OTG )