Modified AndroidManifest.xml for Rosie.apk, should fix keyboard crash issues ALMOST!

Search This thread

coolbho3000

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Dec 26, 2008
For other people wanting to do edits to Rosie or its widgets, I did manage to get the edit/signing issues resolved. I simply re-signed everything using com.htc.rosie.uid.shared (basically Rosie and all its widgets) with the same key. However, this did not fix the keyboard crash issues like I hoped it would.

Using Stericson's excellent "XML edits how to" thread as a guide (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=479019), I painstakingly figured out that all you needed to do was change all the 0800001001 (hex) to 0800001002 (hex) in the binary AndroidManifest.xml within Rosie.apk. This changes all android:screenOrientation lines in the XML from 1 (portrait) to 2 (sensor).

However, I'm having trouble actually getting this into a Rosie.apk that will verify as a properly signed APK. Android rejects it every time, even if I resign the APK. If any other devs want to continue my work by inserting this into a Rosie.apk successfully, feel free. It's getting too late tonight; besides, I use Cyanogen and not Hero :p.

UPDATED: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/36553/AndroidManifest.xml

I managed to get it working but signature issues remain, resulting in a force close!

rosie_landscape.png

The signing issue is also present for AndroidManifest.xml modifications, as Rosie shares a user ID with the rest of Hero. Change the signature, and the phone rejects it. If we change the user ID via XML modifications, Rosie begins to load but force closes because it is denied permission to share data with the Twitter provider. Confusing stuff.

However, before the force close, Rosie seems to be running in landscape just fine!!!

The next step would be to resign ALL the APKs using com.htc.rosie.uid.shared in the Hero ROM to one key, then try this Rosie signed with that same key. I will try this tomorrow. If all is successful, we can have a pseudo-landscape-Rosie. The main benefit would be no more crashing.

Last edited:

palosjr

Jul 25, 2009
Houston
Using Stericson's excellent "XML edits how to" thread as a guide (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=479019), I painstakingly figured out that all you needed to do was change all the 0800001001 (hex) to 0800001000 (hex) in the binary AndroidManifest.xml within Rosie.apk. This changes all android:screenOrientation lines in the XML from 1 (portrait) to 0 (any).

However, I'm having trouble actually getting this into a Rosie.apk that will verify as a properly signed APK. Android rejects it every time, even if I resign the APK. If any other devs want to continue my work by inserting this into a Rosie.apk successfully, feel free. It's getting too late tonight.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/36553/AndroidManifest.xml

this would be great if we got it to work... ill work on it some tonight but it wont be long. i gotta long day tomorrow

Bavilo

Apr 20, 2009
Marburg
Why do you want to sign it?

Can't you just replace the file, pack it up again and push it via adb?
Doing it that way wouldn't require the file to be signed. Or am I mistaking?

h.nocturna

Oct 8, 2008
Unsigned doesn't work... Android rejects it and complains about the signature, I don't know why this doesn't work but optimized PNGs do.
Ah, I see... I wish I knew more so I could help you guys out, but unfortunately this is outside the reach of my nooby skills... but if you guys need a tester down the road, lemme know.

cxyhjx

Jul 17, 2009
Great!!!
:)

Using Stericson's excellent "XML edits how to" thread as a guide (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=479019), I painstakingly figured out that all you needed to do was change all the 0800001001 (hex) to 0800001000 (hex) in the binary AndroidManifest.xml within Rosie.apk. This changes all android:screenOrientation lines in the XML from 1 (portrait) to 0 (any).

However, I'm having trouble actually getting this into a Rosie.apk that will verify as a properly signed APK. Android rejects it every time, even if I resign the APK. If any other devs want to continue my work by inserting this into a Rosie.apk successfully, feel free. It's getting too late tonight; besides, I use Cyanogen and not Hero :p.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/36553/AndroidManifest.xml

coolbho3000

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Dec 26, 2008
Meh... turns out I was wrong... this makes it landscape only. To get the intended results you actually have to delete those lines, which is proving to be much more difficult. EDIT: nvm, we can just change this to a value of 2 to make the orientation sensor-based. But signing issue remains.

The signing issue is also present for AndroidManifest.xml modifications, as Rosie shares a user ID with the rest of Hero. Change the signature, and the phone rejects it. If we change the user ID via XML modifications, Rosie begins to load but force closes because it is denied permission to share data with the Twitter provider. Confusing stuff.

However, before the force close, Rosie seems to be running in landscape just fine!!!

The next step would be to resign ALL the APKs in the Hero ROM to one key, then try this Rosie signed with that same key.

Last edited:

kendong2

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 29, 2009
sry for digging this up, but what is the status on the signing issue? i am facing a similar problem while trying to get the flipping clock to an up-to-date rom...

and while we're at it, what about landscape rosie, did it ever work? just for my curiousity, when i have to mess with rosie.apk i can aswell try that one too ;)

Ace42

• Jul 20, 2009
    New York
    Moto G Power
    Motorola Edge
    sry for digging this up, but what is the status on the signing issue? i am facing a similar problem while trying to get the flipping clock to an up-to-date rom...

and while we're at it, what about landscape rosie, did it ever work? just for my curiousity, when i have to mess with rosie.apk i can aswell try that one too ;)

1) You will have the push the htcclocks from a rom with the flip one, but it was removed for a major reason because it will slow your phone a lot and eat the battery.

2)Landscape works on 2.1 hero roms not on 1.5 since it wasn't designed for phones with keyboards since the Hero doesn't have one attached.

kendong2

Sep 29, 2009
    1) You will have the push the htcclocks from a rom with the flip one, but it was removed for a major reason because it will slow your phone a lot and eat the battery.
    i am aware of all that, nevertheless i would like to try it. a lot has changed performance-wise since the flipclock rom, stuff that made compcache a bottleneck for example... so i'd just like to try it, and if it is only for the learning experience (taught myself how to deodex already ;)). the old flipping clock is odexed, i successfully deodexed it, so that it worked in the old rom. for deodexing i had to resign it (which again worked with the old rom, strange enough), but gives me this on boot in the new rom (fresh wipe):

PHP:
    I/PackageManager(  150): /system/app/HtcClockWidget.apk changed; collecting certs
    E/PackageManager(  150): Package com.htc.widget.clockwidget has no signatures that match those in shared user com.htc.rosie.uid.shared; ignoring!

2)Landscape works on 2.1 hero roms not on 1.5 since it wasn't designed for phones with keyboards since the Hero doesn't have one attached.
    i am actually using a hero, so i have the softkeyboard both portrait and landscape there and working (if that is what you are trying to imply, not really sure i get why it shouldn't work on 1.5 roms).

thanks for the quick reply, i appreciate it.

Ace42

• Jul 20, 2009
    New York
    Moto G Power
    Motorola Edge
    i am aware of all that, nevertheless i would like to try it. a lot has changed performance-wise since the flipclock rom, stuff that made compcache a bottleneck for example... so i'd just like to try it, and if it is only for the learning experience (taught myself how to deodex already ;)). the old flipping clock is odexed, i successfully deodexed it, so that it worked in the old rom. for deodexing i had to resign it (which again worked with the old rom, strange enough), but gives me this on boot in the new rom (fresh wipe):

PHP:
    I/PackageManager(  150): /system/app/HtcClockWidget.apk changed; collecting certs
    E/PackageManager(  150): Package com.htc.widget.clockwidget has no signatures that match those in shared user com.htc.rosie.uid.shared; ignoring!

i am actually using a hero, so i have the softkeyboard both portrait and landscape there and working (if that is what you are trying to imply, not really sure i get why it shouldn't work on 1.5 roms).

thanks for the quick reply, i appreciate it.

I mean on 1.5 sense roms you can't rotate the screen while on home.I'm sure there is a rom that has the flip clock deodexed already, try putting the .apk and odex file in the rom to replace the current one.

kendong2

Sep 29, 2009
    I mean on 1.5 sense roms you can't rotate the screen while on home.I'm sure there is a rom that has the flip clock deodexed already, try putting the .apk and odex file in the rom to replace the current one.

i could find only one, but also one dead link. i'll see if i can dig that up and maybe find another apk. thanks again.