Modified launcher - source and apk attached (Number of homescreens now customizable)

Search This thread

rogro82

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 1, 2008
plus.google.com
Modified Launcher:

Current features:

* Customizable number of home screen and default screen. (default 3 screens, can be set from 2 to 10 screens)

* Sensor-based rotation can now be enabled/disabled from the extended settings menu.

* Applications from the application drawer can be hidden by throwing them in the recycle bin.

The ones that are thrown away will not be deleted but in the background a database is kept in which the applications info is stored and i modified the application loading so that it checks against that database and the ones in it will not be shown. This way you can finally organize the menu...

* Ive added an extra menu option to manage the added features. ( Extended )

Updates:

21-07-2009:
Source added ( attached as zip for now )
Somehow the forums zip upload isnt working at the moment ( or it doesnt like the zip file ) , so ive uploaded it to rapid share.

22-07-2009:
Number of homescreens and the default screen can now be set manually in the Extended settings screen.
Added apk ( launcher.zip ) to the first post.

23-07-2009
Sensor-based rotation can now be enabled/disabled from the extended settings menu
Added apk and new dump of complete source.

Side note:

The source has been build/tested against 1.5r2.

Issues:

There is one little bug I know of:
The applications arent removed on first boot... if you reboot everything works fine... I will look into this issue.

Same goes for the settings... you will need to reboot before stuff will be saved correctly.

Downloads:

-- STILL WORK IN PROGRESS SO IF YOU WANT A FULLY STABLE LAUNCHER DONT USE THIS UNTIL ITS TESTED FULLY --

Latest dump of the source can be found at http://rapidshare.com/files/259200651/Launcher_source_090723.zip

Be aware that the code is only a test case. Ill start cleaning up / organize stuff as soon as all the features are done...

And the latest .apk is attached below ( zipped )

Attachments

• device1.png
    device1.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 6,525
  • device2.png
    device2.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 5,121
  • device3.png
    device3.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 4,838
  • device4.jpg
    device4.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 6,174
  • device5.jpg
    device5.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 5,417
  • device6.jpg
    device6.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 5,163
  • device7.png
    device7.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 4,773
  • Launcher.zip
    734.8 KB · Views: 7,193
Last edited:
Reactions: naheel azawy

ximonx

Jan 4, 2009
Would it be possible to have per home screen menuing, so a different menu can be used for each home screen?

nicholasbithell

May 12, 2009
Did I hear right? You will now be able to hide apps? Amazing just waht I have been waiting for! Maybe you could password protect the app that "Hides the apps! This is worth donating for!;);)

soulife

Jul 27, 2008
Since your sharing the apk, you should share the code at github. This way there's no debate if it'll work on this build or that. :) sharing is what this community's all about.

alritewhadeva

Mar 26, 2009
Wow ,great job. Been looking for something like this to run on a cupcake ROM. I'm curious though ,the app launcher is it the bigger ones (i.e. 5x4, 6x3) or the original ones.

Sirus20x6

Nov 10, 2008
what happens if you throw that extra menu option, that manages the hidden apps, into the recycle bin???
Universe exploads?

cal3thousand

Feb 10, 2009
IDEA!

PLEASE

add a function of picking up and dropping the icon allows a context menu to come up that includes app info page and market info page. (like dxtop) :)

johnnylicious

Nov 9, 2008
wow can't wait for this sounds great!!

think you can have some sneak peak screenshots of this launcher in action =D

build up the HYPE lol.

kvizz

May 19, 2009
this does sound awesome.

can't wait to see release and details!

cyan, i hope you put this on your rom!
i love all your roms!!

jonnybueno

Jan 26, 2009
50th
ummm

Any way you could use your superior knowledge to make one that has 3 screens and no auto rotate? I love the idea of being able to hide apps, but am not too fond of 5 screens and auto rotate. I've been replacing Launcher.apk in cyanogen's builds because of this. Does hiding apps make things run a little faster when returning to the home screen with the app drawer open?

rogro82

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 1, 2008
plus.google.com
Ill first finish this version tonight and then ill look into making the number and default of the home screens customizable, so that everyone can choose for themselves :)

rockin_mod

Jul 19, 2009
Colorado
dude you are to nice with trying to compromise with everyones needs. thats a good artist if i could say. i can be a test subject if you will and willing to try with ne rom or whatever. do it up!!

jubeh

Mar 15, 2009
we've been hurting for home replacements, free ones anyway. Since you're at it, could you look if there's something that can be done to the app-drawer tab to have three clickable regions instead of one? I'm thinking something along the terms of the Rosie tab. You could add options so that the user could customize what each region does (ie, region 1 brings up the app drawer, region 2 brings up the dialer, and region 3 brings up the widget dialog, like rosie). I'd do it myself, I've already worked some pseudocode for it, but alas, my Java syntax is about 6 years too old and I haven't learned much of android's implementation yet.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Modified Launcher:

Current features:

* Customizable number of home screen and default screen. (default 3 screens, can be set from 2 to 10 screens)

* Sensor-based rotation can now be enabled/disabled from the extended settings menu.

* Applications from the application drawer can be hidden by throwing them in the recycle bin.

The ones that are thrown away will not be deleted but in the background a database is kept in which the applications info is stored and i modified the application loading so that it checks against that database and the ones in it will not be shown. This way you can finally organize the menu...

* Ive added an extra menu option to manage the added features. ( Extended )

Updates:

21-07-2009:
    Source added ( attached as zip for now )
    Somehow the forums zip upload isnt working at the moment ( or it doesnt like the zip file ) , so ive uploaded it to rapid share.

22-07-2009:
    Number of homescreens and the default screen can now be set manually in the Extended settings screen.
    Added apk ( launcher.zip ) to the first post.

23-07-2009
    Sensor-based rotation can now be enabled/disabled from the extended settings menu
    Added apk and new dump of complete source.

Side note:

The source has been build/tested against 1.5r2.

Issues:

There is one little bug I know of:
    The applications arent removed on first boot... if you reboot everything works fine... I will look into this issue.

Same goes for the settings... you will need to reboot before stuff will be saved correctly.

Downloads:

-- STILL WORK IN PROGRESS SO IF YOU WANT A FULLY STABLE LAUNCHER DONT USE THIS UNTIL ITS TESTED FULLY --

Latest dump of the source can be found at http://rapidshare.com/files/259200651/Launcher_source_090723.zip

Be aware that the code is only a test case. Ill start cleaning up / organize stuff as soon as all the features are done...

And the latest .apk is attached below ( zipped )