• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Module][2018.9.23] MagicGApps -- Install OpenGApps Systemlessly

Search This thread

adstraylight

May 17, 2010
I'm still getting this FC so much, I'm using Prevent Running module for xposed to keep them from displaying the message again and again. Is there a specific workaround or patching that can be done to not have that perhaps? How about a guide for manual patching the framework files for signature spoofing?

I don't think the microg fakegapps module or nanodroid's patch will work for it though?
For me, once gms updated via the Playstore the fc stopped. So my workaround is to use an old gapps package. I think mine dates from early September.

Reactions: Peter1212

Peter1212

Apr 19, 2014
For me, once gms updated via the Playstore the fc stopped. So my workaround is to use an old gapps package. I think mine dates from early September.

I used my ROM's feature to not show the force close dialog popups so I'm free of them for now. But I've got another problem, my apps don't recognise the google play services, is the magic gapps supposed to stop or prevent that? It's acting a little like microg so much.

First of all I don't have any smart lock options in the security settings. I have the smart lock options i click on it enter my password and the screen shows up but the weird thing is there's no smart lock options like body detect face unlock device unlock etc etc. It's just empty.

Second my apps aren't detecting google play services I can't use youtube at all, I can't even use the vanced version of youtube since even that requires google play services. That's really weird.

Third, I logged into my google account and everything seems to be working fine but what's the catch here is that it acts a lot like microg. I tried logging into chrome (tuga browser) and it asked me to sign into my google account and instead of picking up from my already logged in google accounts it gave me the sign in window once again. I tried signing in and it just told me that this account is already present on the device ha, what? Then I tried logging in to a different account but for tugabrowser it just didn't go through, it signs me in but it keeps loading and loading but my account gets logged in the accounts section and I am able to use it for Gmail and other things. It might be an issue with the browser perhaps or idk.

Fourth, sync keeps going haywire in between, it just says sync can't connect right now or something like that and shows an orange colored error. When that occurs I can't log into my google play store it tells me that my account needs authorization and tells me to retry which does nothing. Like I am unable to do half of the things with this, I haven't tried google play games yet with this but I hope it doesn't give me the same problems, since right now with all these issues it's as useless as microg in effectiveness.

The part about keeping google play services systemless or not using them at all seems palpable and quite tempting but all in all in the end it's true that for effective functioning they really are necessary most often.

adstraylight

May 17, 2010
I used my ROM's feature to not show the force close dialog popups so I'm free of them for now. But I've got another problem, my apps don't recognise the google play services, is the magic gapps supposed to stop or prevent that? It's acting a little like microg so much...

Sounds to me like play services has been disabled, is the Magic Gapps module still active in Magisk? What happens when you stop using the dialogue suppression feature in your ROM?

VR25

Apr 20, 2013
github.com
@Peter1212, these issues are due GMS's repeated crashes. In other words, if Google Play Services aren't working properly, then the APIs aren't available. Consequently, apps can't use these.

The upcoming update will introduce major changes. One of these is that GApps won't be stored in magisk.img anymore. So no more image resizing and related issues. Perhaps this never-ending force closing thing may also vanish.

Peter1212

Apr 19, 2014
Sounds to me like play services has been disabled, is the Magic Gapps module still active in Magisk? What happens when you stop using the dialogue suppression feature in your ROM?

What happens is nothing more than just frustrating force closes. But any app that use them act similarly or sometimes even they crash. And nope play services are running fine and not disabled. I tried putting it up in prevent running module but it didn't had much of an effect and I still had some random GCM fcs (when GCM or play services were called by any app)

@Peter1212, these issues are due GMS's repeated crashes. In other words, if Google Play Services aren't working properly, then the APIs aren't available. Consequently, apps can't use these.

The upcoming update will introduce major changes. One of these is that GApps won't be stored in magisk.img anymore. So no more image resizing and related issues. Perhaps this never-ending force closing thing may also vanish.

Well I'm sure many of the users will like that feature, one where there are no longer any FC dialog popups. I'd be looking forward to it as well as all the other people here.

Although that doesn't explain why some other apps are just refusing to detect play services, true caller, youtube, picsart I could name many others like that.

VR25

Apr 20, 2013
github.com
Although that doesn't explain why some other apps are just refusing to detect play services, true caller, youtube, picsart I could name many others like that.
But I answered that already! ;)
Let me put it this way: if play services are constantly crashing, some/all apps won't work with the APIs provided by these services. Consequently, it's as if Google Play Services APK wasn't installed in the first place.

Peter1212

Apr 19, 2014

I tried downgrading it and it worked for me superbly. I would have replied this success earlier but when I replied to this message I by mistake installed Gapps in the system and that gave me more problems so was trying to recover from that. I just downgraded to the August 25th build and works like a charm. Guess the latest gapps are broken perhaps.

Thanks @VR25

adstraylight

May 17, 2010
I tried downgrading it and it worked for me superbly. I would have replied this success earlier but when I replied to this message I by mistake installed Gapps in the system and that gave me more problems so was trying to recover from that. I just downgraded to the August 25th build and works like a charm. Guess the latest gapps are broken perhaps.

Thanks @VR25
I think it's the update to gms via the Playstore that is the key, as it must fix missing permissions or file locations left by the magic module installation.

The upshot being that between the module and the auto update, we end up with a working gapps installation, so yes, thanks VR25 for making it possible, and thanks to junglism93 for the fix?

Last edited:
Reactions: VR25

VR25

Apr 20, 2013
github.com
I think it's the update to gms via the Playstore that is the key, as it must fix missing permissions or file locations left by the magic module installation.

The upshot being that between the module and the auto update, we end up with a working gapps installation, so yes, thanks VR25 for making it possible, and thanks to junglism93 for the fix?
One thing to keep in mind is that this issue is caused by Magisk itself.
I've been thinking about modifying a major aspect of the installation. The changes might stop GMS crashes. However, these also bring some limitations to the table.

Before trying that, though, I'll add code to update Google Play Services automatically right after boot (offline).

In recovery, the module is stuck at "Searching for the latest compatible open-gapps-*zip. Am I doing something wrong?
Looks like I really need to update this thing ASAP. :)

Last edited:

Peter1212

Apr 19, 2014
Looks like I really need to update this thing ASAP. :)

Lol true needs update ASAP, got into this issue on my brothers OP5T. Clean install ROM and magisk v17.1, it installs fine the module finds the gapps package and installs. Cool, boot the phone and the magisk doesn't has the module installed (even though in recovery it said it did without any errors.) No apps related to gapps found. Reboot, nothing happened.

2nd Take: Clean Install ROM, Magisk v17.1 boot and it boots fine. Update magisk manager, back to recovery the module doesn't find the package. Happens even if you don't update the magisk manager. Lol

Edit: Lol needs an update ASAP @VR25. So after installing magisk without booting up my phone and installing other modules through recovery, along with gapps after the boot none of the modules show up. Like miraculously every one of them vanishes but mm survives even if it doesn't show in the list.

Trying to install it after that vanish, it didn't install. Rebbot back into the os and back to recovery, just tried one more time and miraculously it finds the package and installs though giving some errors in between which ends up in a boot loop. Ha, guess I'll be keeping it on the system for a while then ha. One more thing it makes the data partition jump to 2GB right off the bat, is it gapps doing or magicgapps?

Last edited:

DaRdamnDoG

May 23, 2017
Can I just ask how can I clear some /system space systemlessly? If I force uninstall/delete app or it's folder its considered against the systemless motto. I have tried one Magisk module that breaks the systemless and failed safety net I was so angry that I uninstalled the whole Magisk. So systemlessly.

P/S: Sorry for my systemless English.

AndroidBorph

Jan 21, 2014
I'm also stuck at "finding the package".
Wiped system+cache, clean install of Lineageos 15.1, installed Magisk 17.1, but when installing MagicGApps 2018.9.23 it simply doesn't find the open-gapps-*zip, until TWRP seems to crash! After the splash screen of TWRP I lost my mount point, well not completely, adapted storage moved from /sdcard to /external_sd/media/0.

Any idea?

Clues

Aug 29, 2008
OnePlus 5
Fixed 'searching...'

Fix for "Searching for the latest compatible open-gapps-*zip"

My resize was getting stuck on the first 2 methods. The 3rd worked with the other 2 out of the way.

File in the Magisk OpenGapps installer:
\META-INF\com\google\android\update-binary

Original / Modified
Code:
/data/adb/magisk/magisk imgtool resize $IMG $SIZE >&2 \
	|| /data/adb/magisk/magisk --resizeimg $IMG $SIZE >&2 \
		|| resize2fs $IMG ${SIZE}M >&2
Code:
#/data/adb/magisk/magisk imgtool resize $IMG $SIZE >&2
#/data/adb/magisk/magisk --resizeimg $IMG $SIZE >&2
resize2fs $IMG ${SIZE}M >&2
Remove the trailing "" which means continued on next line.
Remove the "||" which means 'or' so if one fails, it tries the next.
Uncomment one at a time until it works.

Right after it says searching, it should show the Open Gapps splash and install.

Also, if you know where the OG zip will be located, you can specify a narrower search.
Original / Modified
Code:
for f in $(find /external_sd /sdcard -type f -iname open_gapps-*.zip -maxdepth 3 2>/dev/null); do
Code:
for f in $(find /sdcard/Download/ -type f -iname open_gapps-*.zip -maxdepth 2 2>/dev/null); do
Maxdepth limits the folder search depth, which was not needed for finding it in Download, but can be adjusted for full drive search.

I extracted the update-binary, edited, then inserted again using ZArchiver.

Last edited:

Peter1212

Apr 19, 2014
@Clues my hero, who finally solved this issue, can you also give a fix for gapps force closing if I use the module?
It installs well for me, but it keeps on fcing. I can't get the pre-september builds from github anymore for opengapps.
Can you suggest some solution for it too? Running bootleggers-pie on bacon.

Help!!!

Last edited:

Peter1212

Apr 19, 2014
Repeated force close

Hey there @Clues
Sorry added you after I wrote the previous message so mentioning you once again if you didn't get it before. But can you help me out with the repeated force closing of Google play services?

esc1duy

Jul 24, 2016
Thank you for module Masisk Gapp

my devices Black Shark Helo has Magisk intall, and i has download module magisk gapp last new to install but fail with error "boot mode install not support, install from recovery mode", but i not install recovery twrp.

elwhiteboy01

Apr 1, 2016
Miami
I was able to finally use magicgapps, but google play services kept stopping. So I reflashed rom and flashed gapps right after and it's fine. That is, without magicgapps.

Peter1212

Apr 19, 2014
I was able to finally use magicgapps, but google play services kept stopping. So I reflashed rom and flashed gapps right after and it's fine. That is, without magicgapps.

Same stuff happened with me. I was hoping @Clues would have something to tackle the issue but till now he hasn't responded to it. Guess that's it for the magic gapps for now and I'll just install it without that too. It's a shame that the original dev hasn't made any updates to it yet.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    # MagicGApps
    ## Copyright (C) 2017-2018, VR25 @ xda-developers
    ### License: GPL v3+

---
    #### DISCLAIMER

This software is provided as is, in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty. Always read/reread this reference prior to installing/upgrading. While no cats have been harmed, I assume no responsibility under anything which might go wrong due to the use/misuse of it.

A copy of the GNU General Public License, version 3 or newer ships with every build. Please, read it prior to using, modifying and/or sharing any part of this work.

To prevent fraud, DO NOT mirror any link associated with this project.

---
    #### DESCRIPTION

- This module installs a regular open_gapps-* zip (except aroma variant) systemlessly. When it's disabled, Google Play Services are automatically disabled on the next boot as well. This prevents continuous, disturbing gms crashes.

---
    #### PRE-REQUISITES

- Any open_gapps-* zip, except aroma variant
    - Custom recovery
    - Magisk

---
    #### SETUP STEPS

0. Make sure an open_gapps-* zip (except aroma variant) exists somewhere in /sdcard or /external_sd directories or subdirectories (max directory depth must be 3 -- i.e., /sdcard/Download/OpenGApps).
    1. Optional -- run `touch /data/r` to
    reinstall open_gapps-* zip (or `touch
    /data/u` to uninstall the module).
    2. Optional -- set up a gapps-config.txt file (removal lists work as pseudo-removal lists -- systemless debloat).
    3. Install from custom recovery (i.e., TWRP).

---
    #### LINKS

- [Facebook Support Page](https://facebook.com/VR25-at-xda-developers-258150974794782)
    - [Git Repository](https://github.com/Magisk-Modules-Repo/MagicGApps)
    - [XDA Thread](https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/module-systemless-beansgapps-mini-7-1-x-t3611362)
    - [webview_packages: fix incorrect signatures]( https://github.com/LineageOS/android_vendor_cm/commit/a3a76f5d1cc233ad8024ffdc74bb3a786e1605c3)

---
    #### LATEST CHANGES

**2018.9.23 (201809230)**
    - Max OpenGApps search directory depth set to 3 for faster speed.
    - Support for latest Magisk versions
    - Updated documentation
    - Use /dev/urandom over /dev/random.
    - Use Magisk imgtool over make_ext4fs and resize2fs.

**2018.8.12 (201808120)**
    - Added GMS Manager script -- automatically enables/disables Google Play Services when MagicGApps is enabled/disabled; self-remove when MagicGApps is uninstalled
    - Updated module description

**2018.8.11 (201808110)**
    - Fixed GApps runtime permission issues
    - Fixed "make_ext4fs not found" (devices running Android P)
    - Let Open GApps installer use the real /persist
    - Major optimizations & cosmetic changes
    - Removed `gp` executable
    - Updated documentation
    It installs correctly but when i boot my device the gapps doen't show up. How to fix it??
    I'll be working on an update as soon as my top priorities are out of the way.

Need I to reflash it when I update my ROM?
    No, unless the Android version is different (i.e., Nougat GApps packages aren't suitable for Oreo).

---
    Notes to All

I don't need this module (at all).

My /system has more than enough space to accommodate even the full OpenGApps variant.

I'm doing this purely for those who actually need it (i.e., mako users).

Helping people is part of me. Whenever I can, I do it. I don't ask for anything in return, but I also don't refuse any kind of gratification. Be it monetary, verbal, etc..

Please, don't take this thing for granted. Down-voting the project just because I don't update it as frequently as, say Magic Changing Switch or App Data Keeper is a sin.

I'll continue polishing the next MagicGApps version as soon as I'm done fixing main issues on modules I actually use daily. Thank you. :)
    Greetings, folks!

I have a good and a bad news:

THE GOOD: MagicGApps is already on the latest template and has additional features & optimizations as requested. I couldn't answer all the questions, but I did read all of them! ;)
    *Full Google Framework

*Core syncing APKs (i.e., Google Play Services, SetupWizard, Google Play Store)

*Google App, Google TTS + off-line voice data, Face Unlock and legacy LatinIME swype libs

*Default permissions (to prevent FCs)

*Battery & data saving patches (hungry GApps removed from "power whitelist" -- /system/etc/sysconfig/google.xml)

*Dynamic installer (single package for both ARM & ARM64)

THE BAD: My internet connection is s-l-o-w af! Unfortunately, I can't upload the new version. I'm currently waiting for ISPs to solve the nationwide internet issue (I'm at the end of the world). :mad: :(
    I recently pushed to Magisk-Modules-Repo/MagicGApps some of the changes announced. The changelog for v2017.7.25 is as follows:
    * Updated to template v4 (for Magisk v13.1+)
    * Added default permissions to prevent FCs
    * Under-the-hood optimizations

My internet is still down -- no big files were updated and the Lollipop version couldn't be baked. Should the issue be stepped on, I'll finish the job right after.

The latest version is only available from Magisk Manager for now.