[Module][3.3.1] QuickSwitch - Quickstep enabler for supported launchers

Search This thread

KasunCS

Nov 6, 2021
I recently installed Lawnchair 2 10 alpha version and installed latest quickswitch. It successfully installed and pie recents are working.. But the phone horribly lags and too many anr's in /data/anr from process crash of com.google.android.gms.presistent.. and random crashes also occurs on some google apps plus other apps... Can you please privide a solution?? I tried many ways to fix but everything gone wrong. Please 🥺🥺 help...

KasunCS

Nov 6, 2021
Finally I found myself a workaround for quickswitch lag issue.. This results multiple apps to crash including google play services and most of google apps. The root cause of the issue seems the mount issue of the magisk app on some critical system paths like /system/product/overlay ... There are depreciated modules to mitigate issue but mose of them gave no success.. Without further bla bla bla here's the solution

1. Install latest QuickSwitch app + magisk module and reboot
2. Navigate /data/adb/modules/quicstepswitcher/system
3. Copy all files inside and folders to internal storage
4. Now uninstall module and quicsiwtch app completely
5. Navigate to /system and create temporary folder (You need root browser for this operations)
6. Copy all files of the module you just copied earlier
7. Change permissions of the files according to the path (ex: Lawnchair app and overlay app rw_r_r_ 644 owner and group as root 0)
8. Cut and paste files to their respective directories (/system/etc/permissions, /sysconfig, /system/product/overlay etc)
9. Delete the temp folder and reboot...

Voila! Enjoy!
note: you need to repeat this in every firmware update. If you done correctly, you won't stuck in a bootloop.

Yeedatoy

Jul 18, 2018
Charlotte
AT&T HTC One X
Moto G6
Lg pie. Create product folder and move quickswitch overlay and lg launcher there. Open quickswitch again and set recents provider. Done

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220507-160746.png
    Screenshot_20220507-160746.png
    155.6 KB · Views: 85

MarkMRL

Jul 1, 2011
Does this even do anything? I tried a bunch of different launchers including Lawnchair (apk from telegram, play store, github alpha 5), hyperion, shade, and more, they all show up as "not compatible with android 10".
Running LineageOs 17.1 on XZ1C.

Yeedatoy

Jul 18, 2018
Charlotte
AT&T HTC One X
Moto G6
Does this even do anything? I tried a bunch of different launchers including Lawnchair (apk from telegram, play store, github alpha 5), hyperion, shade, and more, they all show up as "not compatible with android 10".
Running LineageOs 17.1 on XZ1C.
Many launchers have had to update because of changes made to the launcher3 base by Google. You'll just have to download older versions of those launchers that were released during the a10 timeframe.

Reactions: MarkMRL

MarkMRL

Jul 1, 2011
Many launchers have had to update because of changes made to the launcher3 base by Google. You'll just have to download older versions of those launchers that were released during the a10 timeframe.
So I have to find a launcher that was made around when the time Android 10 was the latest version. Thank you for the clarification, I thought the only requirement was for the launcher to have recents providing capabilities.

Please forgive my stupidity, but this is confusing me.
Back in the day QuickSwitch came as a zip file that was flashed as a Magisk module, which the installation would also have the apk included in the bundle and would be installed automatically.
Now, QuickSwitch is still being described as a Magisk module, but recent releases on Telegram only have the apk file, with instructions to only install the apk (I assume just as a standard app package)
Can it be confirmed that there is no longer any Magisk module that needs to be flashed, or am I being stupid and missing something?

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
Please forgive my stupidity, but this is confusing me.
Back in the day QuickSwitch came as a zip file that was flashed as a Magisk module, which the installation would also have the apk included in the bundle and would be installed automatically.
Now, QuickSwitch is still being described as a Magisk module, but recent releases on Telegram only have the apk file, with instructions to only install the apk (I assume just as a standard app package)
Can it be confirmed that there is no longer any Magisk module that needs to be flashed, or am I being stupid and missing something?
Both are available again: https://github.com/skittles9823/QuickSwitch/releases

So, the QuickSwitch-Updater.zip is the standard QuickSwitch Magisk module?
Is there any reason why there's no mention of it in the installation instructions?
Does it still contain the app too, or will that need to be installed separately?

EDIT:
So the zip file is the Magisk module and it still automatically installs the app. Got the latest Lawnchair installed and happy.

Don't understand why the installation instructions assume you've already got the module installed and step 1 is install the apk, or are the latest app versions able to install the module themselves, a bit like the new Magisk module manager app?

Last edited:

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
So, the QuickSwitch-Updater.zip is the standard QuickSwitch Magisk module?
Is there any reason why there's no mention of it in the installation instructions?
Does it still contain the app too, or will that need to be installed separately?

EDIT:
So the zip file is the Magisk module and it still automatically installs the app. Got the latest Lawnchair installed and happy.

Don't understand why the installation instructions assume you've already got the module installed and step 1 is install the apk, or are the latest app versions able to install the module themselves, a bit like the new Magisk module manager app?
If I'm not mistaken, if you install the app and then choose your recents provider and reboot, upon reboot the Magisk mod will be installed. The app now installs the Magisk mod.

If I'm not mistaken, if you install the app and then choose your recents provider and reboot, upon reboot the Magisk mod will be installed. The app now installs the Magisk mod.
OK, thanks for the confirmation. I had previously scanned back over the change log at around the time the zip file got replaced by the apk, but couldn't see anything obvious to suggest that there had been a change in how it is installed.
It would probably be useful for the OP to be updated to clarify that the app now installs the Magisk module and that it doesn't need installing manually through Magisk manager.

Reactions: Lughnasadh

lennygreen

Jun 9, 2022
maybe some one knows where to get recent provider to get like android oreo (vertical recent apps)
i have lineage os 19.1

Reactions: 4qx

kasth

Sep 28, 2015
Juiz de Fora
Finally I found myself a workaround for quickswitch lag issue.. This results multiple apps to crash including google play services and most of google apps. The root cause of the issue seems the mount issue of the magisk app on some critical system paths like /system/product/overlay ... There are depreciated modules to mitigate issue but mose of them gave no success.. Without further bla bla bla here's the solution

1. Install latest QuickSwitch app + magisk module and reboot
2. Navigate /data/adb/modules/quicstepswitcher/system
3. Copy all files inside and folders to internal storage
4. Now uninstall module and quicsiwtch app completely
5. Navigate to /system and create temporary folder (You need root browser for this operations)
6. Copy all files of the module you just copied earlier
7. Change permissions of the files according to the path (ex: Lawnchair app and overlay app rw_r_r_ 644 owner and group as root 0)
8. Cut and paste files to their respective directories (/system/etc/permissions, /sysconfig, /system/product/overlay etc)
9. Delete the temp folder and reboot...

Voila! Enjoy!
note: you need to repeat this in every firmware update. If you done correctly, you won't stuck in a bootloop.
Sadly this didn't work for me since some of the files are deleted from /system/* after a reboot. Thank you though.

Last edited:

KasunCS

Nov 6, 2021
Sadly this didn't work for me since some of the files are deleted from /system/* after a reboot. Thank you though.
Have you moved every file to its corresponding directory? Or just moved them to the temporary /system directory? After moving files to the /system temporarily, there's a chance to be removed itself upon reboot. So you need to move the files to their respective directories before that.

kasth

Sep 28, 2015
Juiz de Fora
Have you moved every file to its corresponding directory? Or just moved them to the temporary /system directory? After moving files to the /system temporarily, there's a chance to be removed itself upon reboot. So you need to move the files to their respective directories before that.

It's working now! After I did all the stuff you posted I had to use app systemizer to make the launcher a system app. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

4qx

Mar 21, 2022

Skittles9823

Recognized Contributor
Jan 9, 2015
Sydney
Google Pixel 3a XL
Been looking for exact same thing, and I'm not the only one. No luck so far.

@Skittles9823 or anyone here, guys, do you happen to know an Android 12-compatible launcher or a method that turns recents menu into a cascading list, as it was on Android 9/Oreo and earlier?
I've not seen any launcher or recents provider that drastically changes recents at all. No developer has really tried to do anything really custom yet.

Someone might be able to make a standalone recents view like Oreo if they check the SystemUI changes when Oreo recents was removed in either Android 10 or 11, I forget which version it was yeeted in exactly.

Skittles9823

Recognized Contributor
Jan 9, 2015
Sydney
Google Pixel 3a XL
QuickSwitch 3.3.0 released

Note, this update will reset the current provider

Changelog:

- better support some LG devices on Android 9
- allow installation on MIUI 12.5+ (oops forgot the check was there)
- remove sepolicy rules as they didn't help most of the time
- increase overlay priority again
- format scripts to be more readable
- the QuickSwitch app will now correctly specify Android 12.1 instead of 12 where applicable
- change module ID to `quickswitch`, order has been restored
- for module developers who check for the modID, I'd recommend instead looking for the `/data/adb/modules/**/quickswitch` binary instead
- update README to better explain the modules functionality
- update the modules update-binary because it was 2 years outdated xd

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Been looking for exact same thing, and I'm not the only one. No luck so far.

@Skittles9823 or anyone here, guys, do you happen to know an Android 12-compatible launcher or a method that turns recents menu into a cascading list, as it was on Android 9/Oreo and earlier?
    I've not seen any launcher or recents provider that drastically changes recents at all. No developer has really tried to do anything really custom yet.

Someone might be able to make a standalone recents view like Oreo if they check the SystemUI changes when Oreo recents was removed in either Android 10 or 11, I forget which version it was yeeted in exactly.
    Updated the main post and other helper posts in advance for 3.3.0. Will release soon if no issues arise, changes are already up on github though if anyone wants to test or just have a look see at whats new 👀
    QuickSwitch 3.3.0 released

Note, this update will reset the current provider

Changelog:

- better support some LG devices on Android 9
    - allow installation on MIUI 12.5+ (oops forgot the check was there)
    - remove sepolicy rules as they didn't help most of the time
    - increase overlay priority again
    - format scripts to be more readable
    - the QuickSwitch app will now correctly specify Android 12.1 instead of 12 where applicable
    - change module ID to `quickswitch`, order has been restored
    - for module developers who check for the modID, I'd recommend instead looking for the `/data/adb/modules/**/quickswitch` binary instead
    - update README to better explain the modules functionality
    - update the modules update-binary because it was 2 years outdated xd
    QuickSwitch 3.3.1 released

In classic me fashion, a large update followed by a fix patch.

Changelog:

- lower overlay priority as it was too high for some devices
    - side note of an ommision from the 3.3.0 changelog, the app can detect conflicting quickstep modules so a high overlay priority is redundant
    maybe some one knows where to get recent provider to get like android oreo (vertical recent apps)
    i have lineage os 19.1
    QuickSwitch - Quickstep enabler for supported launchers

QuickSwitch is a Magisk module which systemlessly allows supported launchers to access the recents (QuickStep) APIs. It's future proof, detects which launchers are capable of being a recents provider, and is fairly simple to use.

Requirements:
    - Android Pie+
    - The latest version of Magisk
    - A launcher which can be used as a recents provider on your specific android version.

Installation:
    To use the module, simply follow the instructions:

1. Install the latest QuickSwitch apk from the Telegram channel or GitHub releases.
    2. Open the QuickSwitch app that was installed.
    3. Select a different launcher as your recents provider.
    4. Reboot.
    5. Verify your new recents provider is correct.
    6. Set the new recents provider as the default launcher.
    7. Profit.

After switching providers and rebooting, make sure the current provider is the default home app.

To switch providers after the initial install just open the app, select a new provider and reboot.

Updating:
    To update, just update the app when a new release is published, or check the Magisk app as it should fetch updates too.

Uninstallation:
    To uninstall the module, use the bin icon in magisk manager. Your recents provider will go back to default and your launcher will return to being a user app, after that, just uninstall the quickswitch app

Logging:
    QuickSwitch saves all its logs to /data/adb/modules/quickswitch/logs/ and /sdcard/Documents/quickswitch/ all logs belonging to QuickSwitch begin with quickswitch. If you have any issues with the module send all log files in a compressed archive.

Compatibility:
    As stated earlier, the QuickSwitch app auto-detects which launchers are compatible so it's going to be difficult to say a definitive list. But for an easy explanation, I'll just say that almost all stock Pie+ launchers will work as long as they are either ported to other devices or are installed by default on your device.
    As for custom launchers, you'll have to install them and see if they appear in the QuickSwitch app.

Notes:
    - QuickSwitch doesn't add support for launchers, launchers need to support QuickSwitch. Because of this, a full list of compatible launchers will not be provided as the app autodetects which launchers are compatible.
    - Nova Launcher is NOT compatible with QuickSwitch and never will be unless they decide to add support for the Razer Phone natively.

Misc:
    - You can grab the source for the module here

The SystemUI option (removed in Android 10+) will grant you Oreo style recents.

Credits:
    - @paphonb for the QuickSwitch app and the initial concept and idea of a universal Quickstep enabler.

- @osm0sis for assistance with getting 3.x.x to work without having to go permissive, and for his and @topjohnwu's zipsigner

- The Lawnchair and Hyperion team's for initial testing of the module.

Download:
    Download the latest version here.

Donations:
    - If you wish to donate to @paphonb for creating the QuickSwitch app you can do so here.
    - Or if you wish to sponsor me on GitHub for making the module, scripts, and handling support you can do so here.

Release details:
    Current version: 3.3.1
    Last updated: 19-06-2022

Created: 28-12-2018
    FAQ

What does this module do?
    The only thing this module does is changes which launcher controls your recents

Can I get app actions, or recents text/picture selection with this module?
    This module doesn't control what features a launcher has. All it does is grant the launcher more permissions and enable a launchers access to recents.

How to get Oreo/Oreo Grid recents?
    For Oreo recents simply set your recents provider to SystemUI and reboot.
    If the SystemUI option doesn't show up it's because you're on Android 10 and the Oreo recents fallback has been removed from AOSP.

For grid recents follow these instructions:
    1. Set the recents provider to SystemUI
    2. Tap the three dot menu and toggle "Enable grid recents" to on
    3. Reboot.

The FAQ will grow as more questions come to mind.
    QuickSwitch 3.0.0 released

Changelog:
    - completely rewrite the app and the module backend. Now the app uses a shell binary as the backend to
    remove the need for bootscripts
    - re-add the $MODDIR/product/overlay install path as the Magisk issue has been fixed
    - added a check for MIUI which will abort the installation of the module

Been a while since an update, but a few days short of the 1 year anniversary of when QuickSwitch was first released, we finally release 3.0.0

Sent from my Google Pixel 3a XL using XDA Labs
    QuickSwitch 3.0.4 released

Samsung users rejoice. With the help of @osm0sis I've removed the need for permissive selinux while the backend script ran, so there are no longer any dependencies on that.

I'm now also signing the overlay using zipsigner compiled by osm0sis so if there were any issues I wasn't aware of since the release of 3.x.x and they were caused by an unsigned overlay, they're now fixed. As far as I know however it shouldn't have been an issue.

Another thing to take note of is that I've talked to an omni rom developer and they're doing something similar to what certain pixel experience device trees have done and the overlay won't work on it. I've had a tester try omni and I've given them a few test builds in an attempt to work around it but from what I can tell it's just not possible to fix it on my side. (Said attempted fixes aren't in QuickSwitch, and won't be added btw)

I've not blocked omni, just incase it works on some devices but don't get your hopes up if it hasn't worked in the past.

Changelog:
    - remove selinux dependant commands in favour of grepping packages.xml and listing the contents of /data/app to find launcher dirs
    - sign the overlay again
    - I'd like to thank @osm0sis for helping with this update

QuickSwitch 3.0.5 released

Changelog:
    - fix for the launcher not getting copied over and aborting recents provider change
    - fix dalvikvm invokation for Android 10 (-Xnodex2oat is removed upstream)

The last change is just an update to zipsigner