[MODULE] App Systemizer for Magisk v9/v10/v11/v12/v13/v14

Search This thread

stangri

Dec 19, 2009
Burnaby
Instead of including the third party APK files in the magisk modules/repo, this module, developed by @loserskater and me, systemizes user-installed apps systemlessly thru magisk. Another benefit of systemizing the user-installed apps is that if you uninstall magisk, your settings for the apps will be retained. If you originally install any of the apps above thru an app-specific magisk module (like Pixel Launcher magisk module for example), then when magisk is uninstalled or disabled, app settings will be gone.

If you're on Oreo ROM, you will need this add-on developed by @yochananmarqos: https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/module-privileged-permission-whitelist-t3670646

This module requires installation from Magisk Manager, not recovery.

This module might lead to your device stuck on logo or booting to recovery, I gather it might be a kernel issue -- the closer you're to stock firmware/kernel the more likely it is to work. If it fails, try the "Terminal App Systemizer" instead.

Important links:

NOW IN OFFICIAL MAGISK REPO!

11.0.6: This is the last "classic/simple" version I could get from github, (11.0.6) which might fail on the larger APKs but doesn't include magisk partition resizing code which might cause problems. It also does NOT include a companion app.

12.0.5: This is the latest "stable" version with the companion app. Based on pre-"magisk 13" template (version 3), but seems to work with magisk 13.

14.0.0: This is the 12.0.5 version migrated to 1400 template (released with magisk 14). Not tested by me, so use at your own risk (but please post back wherever it does/does not work).

The source code (with history) is available here if anyone wants to continue development: https://github.com/stangri/AppSystemizer

Attachments

• AppSystemizer-11.0.6.zip
    10.6 KB · Views: 11,774
  • AppSystemizer-12.0.5.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 11,277
  • AppSystemizer-14.0.0.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 49,991
Last edited:

stangri

Dec 19, 2009
Burnaby
So since the new apk for Pixel Launcher is available and it has a different signature than previously leaked apk files, here's the list of steps you need to take to replace your Pixel Launcher if used with this module:
1. Go to Magisk Manager and delete (or disable) the App Systemizer module.
2. Reboot.
3. After step 2 your Pixel Launcher should no longer be a system app and you should be able to uninstall old Pixel Launcher -- do so (with your favourite root uninstall app or thru System Settings -> Apps -> Pixel Launcher -> Uninstall).
4. Install the new Pixel Launcher.
5. Add again (or reactivate) the App Systemizer module.
6. Reboot TWICE.
7. The new Pixel Launcher should be active and working as a system app now.

Last edited:

pnwsr6

Mar 25, 2012
OK. It will be this weekend before I can get to it. Doing all the research and downloading ahead of time. Figured I would try some of this systemless stuff out before upgrading to far. Not upgrading to N yet but is this systemmless stuff seem to be working OK with N?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA-Developers mobile app

stangri

Dec 19, 2009
Burnaby
OK. It will be this weekend before I can get to it. Doing all the research and downloading ahead of time. Figured I would try some of this systemless stuff out before upgrading to far. Not upgrading to N yet but is this systemmless stuff seem to be working OK with N?
Smart move. Yeah, no major issues on Nexus 6 and released Nougat. DP5 was draining my battery, but that seems to have been fixed in the release build. There seems to be a problem with magisk CACHE modules (they don't install on Nexus 6) but these are far and few between.

BTW, OTAs which affect the boot partition will kill magiskized Cerberus until you reflash magisk.

pnwsr6

Mar 25, 2012
Smart move. Yeah, no major issues on Nexus 6 and released Nougat. DP5 was draining my battery, but that seems to have been fixed in the release build. There seems to be a problem with magisk CACHE modules (they don't install on Nexus 6) but these are far and few between.

BTW, OTAs which affect the boot partition will kill magiskized Cerberus until you reflash magisk.

Should this make Cerberus show up as a system app in something like Titanium backup? I can't get Cerberus to turn on gps like it would if it was installed as a system app. Shouldn't this allow it to behave like a system app or am I wishing for to much?
FYI
I had Cerberus installed first
Ran the zip file in Magisk
rebooted after install
rebooted again
logged into my Cerberus Dashboard and tried to track my phone and it will not turn on my gps like it will if installed into the system
If this is a limitation that can't be avoided I understand. If I did something wrong or can try something else let me know. Also I did this on my nexus 6 running N. Supersu seems to work and Adaway is installed and seems to be working so far. Latest twrp is also installed, everything is systemless so far. Thanks for your time

Reactions: jhavron

stangri

Dec 19, 2009
Burnaby
Should this make Cerberus show up as a system app in something like Titanium backup? I can't get Cerberus to turn on gps like it would if it was installed as a system app. Shouldn't this allow it to behave like a system app or am I wishing for to much?
FYI
I had Cerberus installed first
Ran the zip file in Magisk
rebooted after install
rebooted again
logged into my Cerberus Dashboard and tried to track my phone and it will not turn on my gps like it will if installed into the system
If this is a limitation that can't be avoided I understand. If I did something wrong or can try something else let me know. Also I did this on my nexus 6 running N. Supersu seems to work and Adaway is installed and seems to be working so far. Latest twrp is also installed, everything is systemless so far. Thanks for your time

If you have a file manager which can browse system partition, can you verify that there's a folder /system/priv-app/CerberusAntiTheft and its permissions are the same as the other folders in /system/priv-app? If it's there and still Cerberus doesn't behave like a proper system app then I don't know what's wrong.

PS. I believe installing twrp prevents OTAs from being installed so kinda contradicts the whole systemless concept. I only boot twrp thru fastboot when needed (usually just once to install magisk/phh root).

pnwsr6

Mar 25, 2012
If you have a file manager which can browse system partition, can you verify that there's a folder /system/priv-app/CerberusAntiTheft and its permissions are the same as the other folders in /system/priv-app? If it's there and still Cerberus doesn't behave like a proper system app then I don't know what's wrong.

PS. I believe installing twrp prevents OTAs from being installed so kinda contradicts the whole systemless concept. I only boot twrp thru fastboot when needed (usually just once to install magisk/phh root).
Do not see it.

stangri

Dec 19, 2009
Burnaby
Do not see it.
That's weird, but now we found the reason Cerberus is not working as expected.
Can you please check if the following exist:
/magisk/AppSystemizer/system/priv-app/CerberusAntiTheft
/data/app/com.lsdroid.cerberus* (could be -1, -2, etc).

If there's no /data/app/com.lsdroid.cerberus* -- my module couldn't find the installed Cerberus. Can you find out what canonical package ID did they use then?

pnwsr6

Mar 25, 2012
That's weird, but now we found the reason Cerberus is not working as expected.
Can you please check if the following exist:
/magisk/AppSystemizer/system/priv-app/CerberusAntiTheft
/data/app/com.lsdroid.cerberus* (could be -1, -2, etc).

If there's no /data/app/com.lsdroid.cerberus* -- my module couldn't find the installed Cerberus. Can you find out what canonical package ID did they use then?

So I found /magisk/AppSystemizer but no more folders after that. So /system/priv-app/CerberusAntiTheft is missing.

/data/app/com.Isdroid.cerberus-1 directory exists and has the lib and oat directories plus the base.a pk in it. Forgive my lack of knowledge on this but how do I find the canonical package ID?

stangri

Dec 19, 2009
Burnaby
Ok, I sincerely hope you just grabbed the attachment from the first post (which I posted before I added Cerberus support) and not from my reply to you down in the thread. Was the ZIP file you installed named AppSystemizer.zip or AppSystemizer-Cerberus.zip?

I still don't want to update the original attachment, so could you please add the ZIP attached to this reply to magisk and then reboot twice.

PS. If you're reading this on mobile, I don't know how the attachments show up for you, but you need the most recent AppSystemizer-Cerberus.zip file from this thread.

Last edited:

pnwsr6

Mar 25, 2012
OK, so I deleted the old zip, it was AppSystemizer-Cerberus.zip, and removed the module. Rebooted and verified that it was removed from the magisk directory, rebooted one more time, then installed the zip you just posted for me. Rebooted twice. Went through and looked for the directories you had me looking for earlier, and they are still not there. Let me know what else I can do.

stangri

Dec 19, 2009
Burnaby
OK, so I deleted the old zip, it was AppSystemizer-Cerberus.zip, and removed the module. Rebooted and verified that it was removed from the magisk directory, rebooted one more time, then installed the zip you just posted for me. Rebooted twice. Went through and looked for the directories you had me looking for earlier, and they are still not there. Let me know what else I can do.

Just installed Cerberus app and got it converted to systemless with the module.

Can you PM me (or post here) the magisk log?

PS. Does magisk have root access?

pnwsr6

Mar 25, 2012
Just installed Cerberus app and got it converted to systemless with the module.

Can you PM me (or post here) the magisk log?

PS. Does magisk have root access?

1476579312560.jpg
Magisk has root access. Or at least I get the toast notification saying it was granted and it shows up in the SuperSU logs. I'm sure I have done something wrong, or something didn't install correctly. Just not sure what.

stangri

Dec 19, 2009
Burnaby
I'm sure I have done something wrong, or something didn't install correctly. Just not sure what.
I'm sure it's just MM vs N difference and nothing you didn't do. Thanks for sticking by. Can you please try replacing the module with the attached AppSystemizer-debug.zip, rebooting and posting/PMing the log. This version should print stuff to the magisk log file helping me figure out what's going on.

PS. No need to uninstall existing module, just add this ZIP over the old one.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Instead of including the third party APK files in the magisk modules/repo, this module, developed by @loserskater and me, systemizes user-installed apps systemlessly thru magisk. Another benefit of systemizing the user-installed apps is that if you uninstall magisk, your settings for the apps will be retained. If you originally install any of the apps above thru an app-specific magisk module (like Pixel Launcher magisk module for example), then when magisk is uninstalled or disabled, app settings will be gone.

If you're on Oreo ROM, you will need this add-on developed by @yochananmarqos: https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/module-privileged-permission-whitelist-t3670646

This module requires installation from Magisk Manager, not recovery.

This module might lead to your device stuck on logo or booting to recovery, I gather it might be a kernel issue -- the closer you're to stock firmware/kernel the more likely it is to work. If it fails, try the "Terminal App Systemizer" instead.

Important links:

NOW IN OFFICIAL MAGISK REPO!

11.0.6: This is the last "classic/simple" version I could get from github, (11.0.6) which might fail on the larger APKs but doesn't include magisk partition resizing code which might cause problems. It also does NOT include a companion app.

12.0.5: This is the latest "stable" version with the companion app. Based on pre-"magisk 13" template (version 3), but seems to work with magisk 13.

14.0.0: This is the 12.0.5 version migrated to 1400 template (released with magisk 14). Not tested by me, so use at your own risk (but please post back wherever it does/does not work).

The source code (with history) is available here if anyone wants to continue development: https://github.com/stangri/AppSystemizer
    @stangri
    It took rebooting three times (see attached logs) after updating for it to work properly. Why was the app removed in favor of the appslist.conf?

I can't comment on why it took 3 times, possibly result of me not using the template 4.

The reasons I've tried to do without the app were two-fold:
    1. To allow easy app updates without updating the module.
    2. (Mostly) to limit the use scenarios, as some of them were resulting in unexpected behavior which were very difficult to replicate.

Sadly, the move away from the app resulted in an even more complicated code of the module (because now it had to support its own config list + app's config list if the app was installed separately from the module).

As version 12.0.5 seem to have worked the best for a lot of people, I've rewinded to the commit for 12.0.5 (so it includes @loserskater's app again), updated the template to v4 + PR #27 (fix for /cache installed magisk) and tried my best to update the module code to the changes in magisk/magisk template. Result of it is an attached module version 12.0.8.

I've tested an upgrade from 12.0.7 to 12.0.8 with a single systemized app (Pixel Launcher) and it worked. However, upgrade from versions 12.0.6/12.0.7 with a lot of apps systemized might not go smoothly. I appreciate you using 12.0.6 and 12.0.7, but if you have apps other than Pixel/Action Launchers systemized with those versions, please delete the old module and reboot first.

I would *hugely* appreciate if people test 12.0.8 (especially those for whom 12.0.7 didn't work) and post back.

I'd like to push a stable version to the repo before I cease further development.
    Alright time for another test!
    The main thing is that we can now systemize ANY app regardless of size. Although didn't test games or anything ridiculously large but it should still work!
    A few fixes in the companion app as well including reboot actually writing the config file.
    You can check out the sources for a complete rundown:
    AppSystemizer commits
    Companion app commits

Only install through Magisk Manager! Flashing in recovery doesn't work at the moment but we're looking into it.
    I did notice a bug with apps not showing selected when closing and opening the app. Sometimes if there is already a magisk-merge.img the script won't copy over the files correctly. I believe this is due to the magisk-merge img already being created with not enough space. A reboot should fix that problem.

Attached is the 12.0.3 version with the latest app. I've also tried to fix the bug mentioned above.

PS. Unrelated to the message above, but prompted by a few recent posts: I'll keep repeating it in every post I guess: any report of things not working as intended is useless without magisk log. If it takes more than one reboot to systemize apps -- save magisk log before and after reboot.

I've looked into the installation from recovery issue and while it might (to an extent) work on some phones/recoveries, the default shell in recovery is very limited comparing to the shell when the phone is booting/booted up. So I gave up on trying to figure out how to have the module install from recovery.

However, now there's a big fat warning and the proper error on attempt to install the module from recovery. Just to make sure I do not misdetect installation from recovery (or an otherwise incompatible shell) I'd appreciate feedback from a wide number of users on 12.0.4. All my devices are LOS14.1, so if you're running any other flavour of Android (stock, AOSP, older versions) please post wherever an upgrade to/install of 12.0.4 worked or not.

Just this one time, no magisk log on error is needed, if you get an error from Magisk Manager on installation, please post as much information as possible about your ROM.

There's no fix on missing companion app on the Marshmallow ROMs yet.